PDA

View Full Version : Performance issues in Cockpit View in Rain Conditions

Photonmonkey
02-03-2016, 11:07
As the title states really, I am finding even in practice mode one car on track in rain conditions in game in cockpit view (default FOV) I get a jerky frame rate which is really distracting, just want to know 1. Is that normal as have never noticed it before and 2. I am on the digital download version, all DLC installed, would it help maybe to delete the game and re-install? Don't want to have to do this but if the performance issues are installation related then may be worth it I suppose? My fans on the PS4 go nuts as well as soon as I am driving again very distracting. I did delete my game save data and start from scratch which seems to improve things slightly. Any advice appreciated as I know replays from TV can can be jerky but didn't think in game was.

wyldanimal
02-03-2016, 16:02
Just like on the PC, the More Visual effects you have turned on, will Affect Performance.
Rain on the Windscreen, might cause a performance hit..

I notice it too. I'm on PS4 with Disc version.

Turn off some of the visuals FX on this Option Screen helps..
this is sample screen, not recommended settings.

Photonmonkey
02-03-2016, 16:23
Just like on the PC, the More Visual effects you have turned on, will Affect Performance.
Rain on the Windscreen, might cause a performance hit..

I notice it too. I'm on PS4 with Disc version.

Turn off some of the visuals FX on this Option Screen helps..

this is sample screen, not recommended settings.

Ok, so do you notice it even with just one car on track? If so then fair enough I can live with it, just wanted to make sure there was nothing I could do to reduce the problem. I like all the eye candy on so will have to live with it, to be honest it's not that bad but it is noticeable.

wyldanimal
02-03-2016, 23:42
Ok, so do you notice it even with just one car on track? If so then fair enough I can live with it, just wanted to make sure there was nothing I could do to reduce the problem. I like all the eye candy on so will have to live with it, to be honest it's not that bad but it is noticeable.

Can't say it's Jerky with just one car on the track...
I do notice a frame rate hit when I have a full field of AI cars though...

Maybe you have something else going on.. You did mention your PS4 fans get loud.
a CPU getting too hot will cause it to slow down...

Photonmonkey
03-03-2016, 09:24
Just as I thought I think I have a problem with my heat sink, someone mentioned in another post about the issue with crappy thermal paste on some PS4's. My fans go bonkers even with one car on track in sunny conditions! Like you said I would expect it with a full field of cars but not in practice with one car. :(

Photonmonkey
03-03-2016, 16:56
Right, deleted from hard drive and currently downloading whole game and DLC again. This is going to take some time and if it doesn't make any difference I am going to be miffed, definately hardware related then.

Mascot
05-03-2016, 15:37
I've recently moved from bonnet cam to cockpit view and everything was going swimmingly, but by God the 30fps windscreen wiper that tears in half with every lateral sweep makes rain races unbearable in this view. Why is it so bad? The tearing of the wiper even happens when the car is stationary in time trial. And, like the driver arms and steering wheel (thankfully now hidden) it updates at 30fps so stands out a mile. Ugh. It's horrible. I was just sick in my mouth.

Photonmonkey
05-03-2016, 19:54
I've recently moved from bonnet cam to cockpit view and everything was going swimmingly, but by God the 30fps windscreen wiper that tears in half with every lateral sweep makes rain races unbearable in this view. Why is it so bad? The tearing of the wiper even happens when the car is stationary in time trial. And, like the driver arms and steering wheel (thankfully now hidden) it updates at 30fps so stands out a mile. Ugh. It's horrible. I was just sick in my mouth.

I see you feel quite strongly about this ;) too be honest I have only really driven in the rain in practice not in full blown races so not sure how bad it is but I must say my clean install has helped with a few issues, my fans aren't going crazy ape as much now even in rain conditions and things seem a bit smoother (probably a placebo affect). In the dry my fans hardly kick in when previously even in practice one car on track at some venues the fans would go ballistic!

Photonmonkey
11-03-2016, 11:38
Right still getting silly fan noises after just a few minutes of play so it's time to crack open the case and get some thermal paste re-applied to the heat sink. I will update on progress and will advise if this solves the dodgy fan noises and screen tearing/frame issues.

rillelives
12-03-2016, 09:03
It for sure cured my fan noise, but worth noticing, my PS4 was in such bad condition the fan geared up quite a bit even in Netflix. However i don't think it had any impact on the performance/screen tearing at all i.e. even at full load and fan speed i don't think there was ever any cpu/gpu throttling induced by the system. This instead seems to come down to the PS4 not having the horse powers to carry the developers wet conditions implementation.

Good luck with the PS4 sugery!

Photonmonkey
12-03-2016, 13:21
It for sure cured my fan noise, but worth noticing, my PS4 was in such bad condition the fan geared up quite a bit even in Netflix. However i don't think it had any impact on the performance/screen tearing at all i.e. even at full load and fan speed i don't think there was ever any cpu/gpu throttling induced by the system. This instead seems to come down to the PS4 not having the horse powers to carry the developers wet conditions implementation.

Just finished putting PS4 back together, unfortunately have 2 screws left over lol :) oh well will make it easier to strip down next time around. Applied new thermal paste and will fire up later and report back on findings. You mentioned that the wet weather performance was still bad after you did your 'maintenance' was this the case even in practice mode with one car on track?

BigDad
12-03-2016, 14:30
I do engine rebuilds and those screws are called extras , we always find them ,lol .

rillelives
12-03-2016, 15:41
Yes still bad, although this actually differs between tracks of course, and more puzzeling which car you drive seem to have a greater impact then you would have expected. So in practice mode, wet conditions, one car, i can see a full range from quite undrivable to "close enough" to 60 fps depending on track, part of track and which car i drive.

My personal feeling, without any evidence, is that wet conditions performance was slightly better on the day 1 release of PC but maybe i should try complete re-install...

Photonmonkey
13-03-2016, 17:27

Ok, I think you are right I tested last night jumped into a race 20 car grid rain conditions at Dubai and I noticed the slightly jerky frame rate so no improvements there, however I paused the game midway through a few laps and OMG couldn't even hear the PS4, now either I managed to disconnect the fan when I re-assembled or that new thermal paste is earning it's money. My PS4 hasn't sounded so quiet in a long time. I will have another play tonight and race for a good while to let the PS4 really warm up but definately seems to have cured the fan noise which in itself is a bonus :)