PDA

View Full Version : I've hit a ceiling..suggestions?

khems17
03-03-2016, 01:31
It seems as though I have reached my potential in this game. I've owned the game since day 1, and normally play at least a few times a week. Even with all of the hours I put into the game, I cannot seem to get past where my skill level is now. I make constant mistakes, like spinning out, despite the hours of practice I put in. I play with a controller (cannot afford a decent wheel), and only use abs. Can anyone give me some tips or at least point me in the right direction so I can get through this barrier?

Thanks in advance!

DECATUR PLAYA
03-03-2016, 02:44
It seems as though I have reached my potential in this game. I've owned the game since day 1, and normally play at least a few times a week. Even with all of the hours I put into the game, I cannot seem to get past where my skill level is now. I make constant mistakes, like spinning out, despite the hours of practice I put in. I play with a controller (cannot afford a decent wheel), and only use abs. Can anyone give me some tips or at least point me in the right direction so I can get through this barrier?

Thanks in advance!

Turn your other assists on traction and stability control. Might help with those constant mistakes.

E_Luckow
03-03-2016, 02:54

Thanks in advance!

Well, try to spare some money, even for a second hand wheel. You will have a completely new experience, and your skills will improve like a rocket.

Mahjik
03-03-2016, 03:03
https://youtu.be/xQRmYMlmdqM

I would recommend going back to basics. Getting the fundamentals down then focusing on speed. The video above is old, but the information is still very relevant.

kevin kirk
03-03-2016, 03:16
If your stuck with controller,change up your controller setting. Never stay with one controller setting to long. Makes you keep going thur the same motions over and over again.

Rambo_Commando
03-03-2016, 03:24
If your stuck with controller,change up your controller setting. Never stay with one controller setting to long. Makes you keep going thur the same motions over and over again.

Agreed. When you think you've peaked try changing your controller settings. I've recently made changes to my controller settings and gained a little over a sec per lap.

kevin kirk
03-03-2016, 04:53
Agreed. When you think you've peaked try changing your controller settings. I've recently made changes to my controller settings and gained a little over a sec per lap.....yea, I used to run with high high speed sensitivity setting. It made it easier to drive, but it just didn't act right. Understeer every were, running with a full tank was hard, and even the steering animation in the car just didn't look right with it just barly moving the steering wheel. Now I run with speed sensitivity at 0, my advance options on making me able to feel like I'm driving a car. Even made the steering animation look right with full lock and so on.

khems17
03-03-2016, 17:34
Thanks for the feedback all! When choosing a wheel, what am I looking for? I'd love to have ffb but I currently cannot fit it into my budget.

cluck
03-03-2016, 17:36
I've hit a ceiling..suggestions?Duck?

(come on, somebody was going to make that joke eventually, might as well be me)

Shinzah
03-03-2016, 17:39
Duck?

(come on, somebody was going to make that joke eventually, might as well be me)

Duck, Cluck, Duck? You're such a silly Goose.

I'll get my coat

Mahjik
03-03-2016, 17:41
Thanks for the feedback all! When choosing a wheel, what am I looking for? I'd love to have ffb but I currently cannot fit it into my budget.

I would not recommending buying a wheel "just to buy a wheel". i.e. wait until you have the funds to get something decent. You can be plenty fast with a gamepad if you:

1. Have the controller settings tuned decently
2. You have a good understanding of the techniques in the "Skip Barber Going Faster" video I linked

Patrick Kulinski
03-03-2016, 17:54

Just as Mahjik, I recommend saving for an FFB wheel. The cheapest ones linger around the 100€ mark which is quite a bit I confess, but it elevates the experience to new levels you might not have expected.

havocc
03-03-2016, 17:56
Posting a video could help to see where you can improve

beetes_juice
03-03-2016, 18:00
What Mahjik said x10.

Do your research. Had a few friends get the non-FFB Thrustmaster to "just buy a wheel". In the short term it was nice for them as times dropped compared to a controller but in the end they wanted more. Those friends ended up dropping extra mula down for a TX (ffb) and Fanatec gear.

That being said, if money will always been an issue, you can grab a non-ffb wheel for the ps4 for around $80-$100. Here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879337029&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-PS4+Accessories-_-N82E16879337029&gclid=CLeC2qaKpcsCFQckhgod1l8PHA&gclsrc=aw.ds).

RomKnight
03-03-2016, 18:08
It can also benefit if you can join a team and have proper practice and races online. Knowledge sharing is more efficient and they can watch you and point out better lines, braking points and whatnot.

khems17
03-03-2016, 20:19
Tiago that's not a bad idea. I'll have to browse the forum when I get the chance. Thanks!

IrideGravity
03-03-2016, 22:09
Get a FFB wheel. All the practice in the world don't mean squat if it doesn't translate to real world input at all. Never driving a car with buttons and a pad are you?
Seriously. As someone who recently avoided a major accident in the wet during a serious fish tail/traction event. The only reason I knew how to handle it was sim training.
Sim training with the proper input device could save your life. Will certainly make you a more competent driver in real world.

Shogun613
04-03-2016, 00:28
Definitely save up for a wheel. I recently bought a G29 after using a Dualshock 4 since release. It's almost like a brand new experience for me. I have a better feeling for my threshold braking, my cornering is a bit faster, and using the heel toe technique is challenging, but a blast to use in the H pattern cars.

Figuur84
04-03-2016, 01:10

I do agree with Kevin (on controller settings, not on speed sensitivity at 0). With a good controller setting, speed sensitivity is very important. I used to change my speed sensitivity per car. 0 is way too low (for controller). I used to put it between 60 and 75 depending the car (FOR CONTROLLER!) when I drove controller . It is really about testing, feeling and adjusting to the settings ed. There is also a 'personal' preference to it. Globally I can say I felt the best to set it more to 60 on the fast high-downforce cars (lmp's, formula a), and a bit higher on gt's and others. It also depends on the races you do. Fast one-laps a little bit lower is sometimes better, but on longer races where tyre wear/heating is important (or if it is a race with tyre wear so you need to pit for that), you should try and test it for the highest possible setting without losing to much time per lap. It will reduce tyre wear a lot! And for the rest.... practice, driving lines, car setups..... As long you haven't hit the best times, you have not hit the 'ceiling' imo. (I haven't hit the ceiling either ;)). I think with a steering wheel you have a little advantage, especially with a good setup/product, but with a controller you should be pretty competative if you do it all right anyway....

A wheel gives you ofcourse the best experience. If you want to get the best wheel for the best buck, I can only suggest the T150. Great wheel, feels good with the ffb, pedals ain't the best, but they are drivable. Don't buy a wheel without ffb..... Then stay to the controller...... My advice anyway..... Good luck!

hkraft300
04-03-2016, 02:25
Line and technique.
We can all fall into bad/inefficient habits without realising it.
Watching a bunch of videos, reading, watching others do laps or getting feedback on your driving may just have that one sentence that gives you the light bulb moment.

Salty Dog
04-03-2016, 03:43

Thanks in advance!

Hi mate, its no disadvantage not using a wheel imo, in fact having just bought a wheel ive realised they arnt the be all and end all, i can smash my time on the wheel with the controller.
Turn your assists on, theres no shame in that if your having dramas, fiddle with your settings, and really learn about the lines of the tracks your on, when im spinning wheels its usually my fault, ive hit the wrong line and hit the throttle to hard coming out of a corner.

Maybe have a break from PCs for a while ive you feel youve hit a wall, that might help a bit too.

cheers

bcredeur97
04-03-2016, 04:50
@khems17 Driving Force GT changed my racing forever. I strongly recommend even a cheap wheel like what I have. The pedals are terrible but Still better than a controller.

Learn your fundamentals then focus on speed like others have said. This game can change your life if you have a willingness to learn. I amazed everyone at an autocross in a little old corolla(not an 86, just a 2001 commuter type, even had an auto which I cant stand lol) having 0 experience except for Racing simulators my first time around haha

kevin kirk
04-03-2016, 05:23
I do agree with Kevin (on controller settings, not on speed sensitivity at 0). With a good controller setting, speed sensitivity is very important. I used to change my speed sensitivity per car. 0 is way too low (for controller). I used to put it between 60 and 75 depending the car (FOR CONTROLLER!) when I drove controller . It is really about testing, feeling and adjusting to the settings ed. There is also a 'personal' preference to it. Globally I can say I felt the best to set it more to 60 on the fast high-downforce cars (lmp's, formula a), and a bit higher on gt's and others. It also depends on the races you do. Fast one-laps a little bit lower is sometimes better, but on longer races where tyre wear/heating is important (or if it is a race with tyre wear so you need to pit for that), you should try and test it for the highest possible setting without losing to much time per lap. It will reduce tyre wear a lot! And for the rest.... practice, driving lines, car setups..... As long you haven't hit the best times, you have not hit the 'ceiling' imo. (I haven't hit the ceiling either ;)). I think with a steering wheel you have a little advantage, especially with a good setup/product, but with a controller you should be pretty competative if you do it all right anyway....

A wheel gives you ofcourse the best experience. If you want to get the best wheel for the best buck, I can only suggest the T150. Great wheel, feels good with the ffb, pedals ain't the best, but they are drivable. Don't buy a wheel without ffb..... Then stay to the controller...... My advice anyway..... Good luck!.....Wth steering sensitivity at 0, controller filtering at 100, opposite lock on and steering damping on its works pretty well for single player races were you can adjust AI to make a race out of it. I'm not a slamming the stick side to side type player so that helps to.

IrideGravity
05-03-2016, 20:51
Hi mate, its no disadvantage not using a wheel imo, in fact having just bought a wheel ive realised they arnt the be all and end all, i can smash my time on the wheel with the controller.
Turn your assists on, theres no shame in that if your having dramas, fiddle with your settings, and really learn about the lines of the tracks your on, when im spinning wheels its usually my fault, ive hit the wrong line and hit the throttle to hard coming out of a corner.

Maybe have a break from PCs for a while ive you feel youve hit a wall, that might help a bit too.

cheers

It is a disadvantage for most. Especially if you have not spent a ton of time cultivating the incredible amount of finite motor control it takes in your fingers to do it. It is a learned skill to have fine motor skills that good that you can match a far superior input device. Kudos, but it's pointless for anything other bragging about a leaderboard time etc.
Where else is that skill going to translate to better driving? Nowhere. Better off having those motor skills in your feet where they actually matter in the real world.
Have you ever actually broken out in a sweat or gotten even warm because you're using your hands, arms, shoulders and hip and feet muscles? Absolutely not.
You're comfortably gliding along in complete fantasy land.
Get a wheel for the real-ist experience.
There's also something to be said for having roughly 100x the input range.
Cause you know. Physics
There's a reason most everyone using fingers uses aids and needs finely tuned remote and car setups to overcome their loss of range.

Haiden
06-03-2016, 15:16

IMO, do not buy a non-FFB wheel. You currently have some feedback in the controller, and your brain is using it. If you get a non-FFB wheel, you will have more steering precision, but zero feedback. I lasted about a week with my non-FFB wheel, before ordered an FFB wheel. IMO, the non-FFB is just a waste of money, because you'll want to upgrade. If you can't afford FFB, that's one thing. If it's just a matter of time (saving longer), then just be patient. :)

Rambo_Commando
06-03-2016, 21:41
What everyone is saying is true. Don't buy a cheap wheel for the sake of having a wheel. While I only play with a controller I did borrow my friends wheel, non ffb, and was turned off by it. He gave it to me as he has a proper one with ffb. I had the wheel for a little over a month but found myself playing less. If you want a wheel then save up and get a proper wheel with FFB. It can be very expensive tough. Wheel, rig, mounts, button box, etc...it becomes an addiction. I always make fun of my friend saying that he is building an actual car in his basement. He's gone to the extent of building an F1 monocoque out of press wood around his setup.