PDA

View Full Version : I finally did it!

o_O-EaZy-O_o
04-03-2016, 21:45
I just bought a t300 wheel and really hope I like it. Till now I've always played with just a controller. Now I need to build a stand and stuff before my wheel gets here.

Sankyo
04-03-2016, 21:56
Nice! The change will blow your mind I'm sure :)

Redslayer
04-03-2016, 22:36
Prepare to over correct and crash a lot :P

Wheel >>>>>>>>>>>>> Controller for racing though, so don't give up if you struggle at first.

Gloomy
04-03-2016, 22:41
Yeah, your times will probably be slower at first, it'll take awhile to adjust to using a wheel. But stick with it and you'll improve. Congrats on the purchase though, I'm sure you'll love it.
Now you get to spend hours tweaking ffb options too, that's like a new mini game in and of itself.

Umer Ahmad
04-03-2016, 22:50
Good move

centurian
04-03-2016, 23:42
You've now entered the world of sim racing and moved far away from arcade racing ~ congratulations.

Ekay.jay
05-03-2016, 01:22
Congrats! I remember when I went from a controller to a wheel, I was hooked.

Black TimeZzZ
05-03-2016, 07:38
Good job man
I always played with wheel

http://i.imgur.com/NHEFUb3.jpg

Feetabix
05-03-2016, 13:18
oh man, it's night and day for me......the t300rs is great, as are the manual shifter and 3 pedal add ons.......sliding the e30 or the yellowbird around the 'ring with full heel and toe'd changes and trying to hold it all together whilst pushing to get a time is just fantastic.....another level compared to the controller!......good luck!.....

Shogun613
05-03-2016, 15:23
Yeah, your times will probably be slower at first, it'll take awhile to adjust to using a wheel. But stick with it and you'll improve. Congrats on the purchase though, I'm sure you'll love it.
Now you get to spend hours tweaking ffb options too, that's like a new mini game in and of itself.

Oh man, ain't that the truth! I'm at least 10 to 15 seconds slower than my fastest Aston GTE lap of Nords with my new wheel, but I think as soon as my muscle memory catches up, I'll be a bit faster.
I'm also obsessively tweaking my ffb to get it just right.

wyldanimal
06-03-2016, 03:54
I'm not sure the Wheel has made me faster than I was after years of Controller use..
But it sure does Boost the Immersion level.

After the Wheel, came a Rig, ( home built out of wood ) then triple screens,
then full motion with 2DOF ( which I later removed, It was great at first, but then I found all that Moving about, got in the way of driving. )
If you get a chance, Do try a Motion Rig. It's a hoot!
but like I said, it really detracted from the driving.
Now I just use Dual Tactile Transducers.
Once you start down the full simulation road, you can't stop...
Can't wait for PS VR, and Here's hoping the pCars will add support for it.

jmooch82
06-03-2016, 19:55
i too am new to the wheel scene. i purchased a open wheeler sim cockpit and a t300 last week as well and wow is it different. my times may slowly be catching and passing my controller times but its gonna take a while for sure. 1 question for some of the more experiences wheel users is this, did it at first seem like you were turning the wheel farther than that of the in game car? maybe its something to get used to but it feels like the car in a 60* turn i am way past 90* on the wheel. so then on exit i am way out of whack needing to steer back the opposite direction and of course are whipping the wheel back and forth and spin out on the simplest of turns. thanks guys for the new guy tips

poirqc
06-03-2016, 22:13
I just bought a t300 wheel and really hope I like it. Till now I've always played with just a controller. Now I need to build a stand and stuff before my wheel gets here.

Say goodbye to your social life! :cool:

BullWinkle
06-03-2016, 23:16
i too am new to the wheel scene. i purchased a open wheeler sim cockpit and a t300 last week as well and wow is it different. my times may slowly be catching and passing my controller times but its gonna take a while for sure. 1 question for some of the more experiences wheel users is this, did it at first seem like you were turning the wheel farther than that of the in game car? maybe its something to get used to but it feels like the car in a 60* turn i am way past 90* on the wheel. so then on exit i am way out of whack needing to steer back the opposite direction and of course are whipping the wheel back and forth and spin out on the simplest of turns. thanks guys for the new guy tips

Is your wheel properly calibrated in the controller screen?,..set for 900deg rotation.( full left and/or right), then the 90deg (hold and ok)?

BullWinkle
06-03-2016, 23:16
Say goodbye to your social life! :cool:

and your sofa.;)

Shogun613
07-03-2016, 00:28
and your sofa.;)

Oh yeah, that swass (sweaty ass) will leave its mark, LOL!

jmooch82
07-03-2016, 03:30
bullwinkle, thanks for the reply, when i do the calibration i turn left 1 full rotation and then it ends up straight upside-down. i hold it there hit X and then let the wheel come back to center. then turn the wheel so its 90* but in game the degrees usually says 1080 at 90*. only have i calibrated once where holding at 90* has it said 900. maybe i am doing something wrong. thanks for the help

jmooch82
07-03-2016, 04:20
thanks Jay B thats not what i am doing so i will give that a shot

PureMalt77
07-03-2016, 15:59
I'm not sure the Wheel has made me faster than I was after years of Controller use..
But it sure does Boost the Immersion level.

After the Wheel, came a Rig, ( home built out of wood ) then triple screens,
then full motion with 2DOF ( which I later removed, It was great at first, but then I found all that Moving about, got in the way of driving. )
If you get a chance, Do try a Motion Rig. It's a hoot!
but like I said, it really detracted from the driving.
Now I just use Dual Tactile Transducers.
Once you start down the full simulation road, you can't stop...
Can't wait for PS VR, and Here's hoping the pCars will add support for it.

What is that? Something like a buttkicker? Sorry for the bad question and my laziness to google for it! Just praising social contact a bit! :D

As wyldanimal said: comes pedals, shifter, rig... sky is the limit (limited by your pocked of course - and sometimes your wife...)

And to scare you a little bit, you will spend long hours learning and fiddling with this complex and amazing FFB system!
We have a thread about it with over 2200 posts for when you get really bored :o
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?38744-Lets-talk-FFB-Post-and-Compare-short-Telemetry-Videos-and-what-FFB-tweek-used

wyldanimal
07-03-2016, 21:38
What is that? Something like a buttkicker? Sorry for the bad question and my laziness to google for it! Just praising social contact a bit! :D

Yes, a Tactile Transducer is what a buttKicker or Bass Shaker is...
Instead of Sound, It's Meant to produce Mechanical Vibrations in the Object it is attached too.

They come in Different Sizes and Shapes, and Each has it's Own Force Spec.. the Ones I use produce a Max of 216 lbs of force.
http://www.parts-express.com/clark-synthesis-tst209-tactile-transducer-bass-shaker--300-861

Attache it to a Floor Joist, the floor Vibrates and becomes a LARGE sub woofer / speaker.
Attache it to your Seat, and you Feel all the Vibrations.

Shogun613
07-03-2016, 22:01
Yes, a Tactile Transducer is what a buttKicker or Bass Shaker is...
Instead of Sound, It's Meant to produce Mechanical Vibrations in the Object it is attached too.

They come in Different Sizes and Shapes, and Each has it's Own Force Spec.. the Ones I use produce a Max of 216 lbs of force.
http://www.parts-express.com/clark-synthesis-tst209-tactile-transducer-bass-shaker--300-861

Attache it to a Floor Joist, the floor Vibrates and becomes a LARGE sub woofer / speaker.
Attache it to your Seat, and you Feel all the Vibrations.

How do you go about getting the LFE from the PS4 to the transducer?

jmooch82
08-03-2016, 00:41
wyldanimal i am curious also. i have a onkyo running 7.2 from my ps4 and that definitely gets my attention. this sim rig thing could be a starts pretty cheap and a million possibilities later i could have bought a real f1 car lol

wyldanimal
08-03-2016, 06:03
How do you go about getting the LFE from the PS4 to the transducer?

From my PS3 or PS4

I run the HDMI to my TV.
Then I use the TV audio Out to Feed Two Sub Woofer Amps.
One on the Right Channel, and One on the Left Channel.

If you Have an Audio / Visual Amplifier, you should be able to RUN the HDMI to the AMP first, then HDMI from the AMP to the TV.
then use the Left and Right Sub outputs to drive the Sub Woofer amps.

I'm using Two of these
http://www.parts-express.com/yung-sd300-300w-class-d-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-module-no-boost--301-508
One for Left and Right Audio Channels to Drive the Transducer.

Shogun613
08-03-2016, 13:36
^Ok, thank you.

o_O-EaZy-O_o
12-03-2016, 07:15
Thanks for all the responses and feedback. Just finished building this today and finally got to try it out. All I have to say is it was the best driving experience in a game or sim I have ever had! Wow now that is fun. Oh yeah I think this is about to get more expensive. I need a shifter and bettet pedals. You all were spot on, ty.

poirqc
12-03-2016, 12:14
Thanks for all the responses and feedback. Just finished building this today and finally got to try it out. All I have to say is it was the best driving experience in a game or sim I have ever had! Wow now that is fun. Oh yeah I think this is about to get more expensive. I need a shifter and bettet pedals. You all were spot on, ty.

I build the same rig, but with the seat part attached. You'll be glad you have a rack. In the end, you probably did the good thing of segmenting the thing. Having the seat attached, you end up having something big that's not easily moved around.

Grats on the setup!

You did a great job!

wyldanimal
12-03-2016, 17:57
I build the same rig, but with the seat part attached. You'll be glad you have a rack. In the end, you probably did the good thing of segmenting the thing. Having the seat attached, you end up having something big that's not easily moved around.

Grats on the setup!

You did a great job!

Yes, Great Job!

redruMKO
12-03-2016, 18:06
....Having the seat attached, you end up having something big that's not easily moved around.

Grats on the setup!

You did a great job!

Agree. I have a rig with seat attached and they are BIG.

It would be great if a company made rigs that were designed to have a second-mode - like when you are not racing.

If it moved higher it could be used as a regular chair. Especially if an RV-Front-seat was used, that is able to rotate... though they probably are not very buckety...

The best I have done for a permanent setup is using an old MR-2 seat, still on its rails, so when I'm done, it can slide forward, and the back tips forward to almost touch the wheel [and I have taken off the headrest].

redruMKO
12-03-2016, 18:13

poirqc
12-03-2016, 18:26
Agree. I have a rig with seat attached and they are BIG.

It would be great if a company made rigs that were designed to have a second-mode - like when you are not racing.

If it moved higher it could be used as a regular chair. Especially if an RV-Front-seat was used, that is able to rotate... though they probably are not very buckety...

The best I have done for a permanent setup is using an old MR-2 seat, still on its rails, so when I'm done, it can slide forward, and the back tips forward to almost touch the wheel [and I have taken off the headrest].

I also took a seat from a car on it's rails. The problem is that i set it so that tall guys(up to 6' 6") can also sit there. I've have it to the almost the minimum when i use it. It results in a big piece of equipment! :)

All you diy guys are really making the rig look great! I'm not showing pics of mine. It's get the job done, but i wanted to use it at some point, so i skipped the look part! Mines look awefull compared to all the pictures i see! :D

redruMKO
12-03-2016, 20:31
Hehe. Ugly rigs are fine! When I was in a rented apartment, a $5 Ikea table and some gaffer tape did a great job!

redruMKO
12-03-2016, 20:33
..and actually my sofa was much lower than this one so I cut some off the front legs, and then it doesn't need to be so close / hard to get into.

Bunga412
13-03-2016, 01:58
My friends own an engineering business. I'm lucky...

poirqc
13-03-2016, 04:39

Nice Fan placement!

redruMKO
13-03-2016, 20:20
Is the fan's speed determined by your in-game road-speed?!! :-)

jmooch82
23-03-2016, 00:34
nice little setup Eazy. did you wing in or have plans? My brother doesn't have a lot of space and this looks perfect

BCJM76
23-03-2016, 14:23

How stable is that with the weight of the wheel so high up and past the centre of the rig? I'm looking at getting myself a wheel and want to build something similar so I can use on my couch but I'm worried about the rig tipping towards me as I'm driving.

o_O-EaZy-O_o
23-03-2016, 20:53
nice little setup Eazy. did you wing in or have plans? My brother doesn't have a lot of space and this looks perfect

I found this on photo bucket under a guy named edguna1 I changed it a little but he does have full plans there and he did a great job at it too.

o_O-EaZy-O_o
23-03-2016, 20:55
How stable is that with the weight of the wheel so high up and past the centre of the rig? I'm looking at getting myself a wheel and want to build something similar so I can use on my couch but I'm worried about the rig tipping towards me as I'm driving.
I was too but it is stable and doesn't fall towards you. Actually I love it and I can later add a seat portion to it

o_O-EaZy-O_o
04-04-2017, 02:11
I've added the T3PA Pro pedals and a TH8A shifter and I have to say they are amazing! It makes driving much better and immersive. I absolutely love these.

khems17
04-04-2017, 02:15
Congrats on the change! I bought a steering wheel recently myself. Not sure I could go back to the ds4.

Cornworld
04-04-2017, 07:53

You are lucky with such a friend. I'm thinking of buying a buttkicker gamer2 myself. Could you tell me if the installation on a PS4 is difficult for a non technical person as myself?