PDA

View Full Version : Just bought Thrustmaster wheel. Now for the seat!?!!

Simplesimon
06-03-2016, 20:05
Hi All.

Just about to move house. Where I will have my very own 'Mancave' at last!;)
Having done plenty of research. And read many threads on the subject on this brilliant forum.
I took the plunge and bought what I think is the best steering wheel/pedal combo for the price.
Thrustmaster T300 Alacantara + T3PA package. For 328.

But I just can't decide which seat to buy. I keep going back to the Playseat Evolution. But undecided from the mixed reviews on here and elsewhere online!
I really must keep to this side of 600 total if I want to keep my wedding tackle intact. :(
And please take into account that I am 60 yrs old (going on 21)and have a bit of a dodgy lower back.
I do plan to get the gearshift eventually. But can you just use the T3PA with 2 pedals ( brake, throttle) with paddles to begin with?

Any advice will be most welcome.

SGETI
06-03-2016, 21:45
here you go, plenty of eye candy. The Obutto, rseat, zalem are just a few off the top of my head.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/wheel-stands-racing-rigs-cockpits-pedals-wheels-master-list.239878/

Sixer
07-03-2016, 02:19
I'm 30 and use the Playseat. I love the Playseat but it is very low to the ground . Depending how much you are in and out of it could affect you
. Sometimes I'm racing for a good 5-6 hours and my back doesn't get sore while.in the seat. You will need a low TV Stand also with the Playseat.

jmooch82
07-03-2016, 03:23
simplesimon welcome to the thrustmaster world. i just picked up the tm t300rs and have had it about a week. l purchased an open wheeler cockpit with mine and like Sixer is saying about the playseat is true with my open wheeler. it is really low the ground. just like if you had a car seat sitting right on the ground. mine too is very comfy. good luck and don't get frustrated if things don't go your way to start with the wheel.

Awong124
07-03-2016, 03:44
I personally don't like the Playseat because of the post in the middle.

Simplesimon
07-03-2016, 07:49
Many thanks for your replies chaps. :)

I am swinging towards the playseat evo. To start with and to keep within my budget!
As for it being low. I drive a Porsche Boxster, and much prefer being low to the ground than in our 4x4. I find it much more comfortable!
It's another thing getting in and out though!!:(

morpwr
07-03-2016, 14:49
Many thanks for your replies chaps. :)

I am swinging towards the playseat evo. To start with and to keep within my budget!
As for it being low. I drive a Porsche Boxster, and much prefer being low to the ground than in our 4x4. I find it much more comfortable!
It's another thing getting in and out though!!:(

I had a playseat for many years that I replaced with a gt omega. Both are good but the gt has a lot less flex. The seat is definitely more comfortable and the lack of the center post makes things easier.

Constructr
07-03-2016, 16:17
I have the Open Wheeler and really like it. I did add some 2" shims to the front seat mounts though, to give it a better position.
The Playseat was just not comfortable for me.
I came "this close" to getting the Playseat F1 but I couldn't validate the $1000 cost.

Fanapryde
07-03-2016, 16:57
I just changed from a RaceRoom rig (which is really good, but lacks a bit of adjustability (wheel & pedal inclining) to a Simetik K2

http://simetik-cockpits.myshopify.com/products/cockpit-k2

It is (still) really nice prized, built to last, incredibly sturdy and wheel and pedal plates are fully adjustable.
I can really recommend it !
You will still need to buy a seat though.

Fight-Test
07-03-2016, 17:42
Research 80/20 rigs and your set for life.

Sixer
07-03-2016, 17:54
I personally don't like the Playseat because of the post in the middle.

Do you have the Playseat or just saying that based on pictures?

Initially I thought the same thing looking at pictures before buying.
The poll in the middle does not get in the way at all. Gas,brake and clutch are all effortless. They clearly did tests on it before selling it because it's fantastic.

Simplesimon
07-03-2016, 18:19

The poll in the middle does not get in the way at all. Gas,brake and clutch are all effortless. They clearly did tests on it before selling it because it's fantastic.

I think I'm going to go with the Playseat. As its not going to break the bank. See how I go on with it and maybe upgrade at a later date.
I did think about the GT Omega. But I need something compact,that I can fold away at times. My Mancave isn't that big!!:rolleyes:

Thanks again guys for all your advice!

Awong124
07-03-2016, 19:31

My friend has it and I've played on it. It's difficult to change between left and right foot braking because the post is in the way. Deal-breaker for me.

Fanapryde
07-03-2016, 19:44
My friend has it and I've played on it. It's difficult to change between left and right foot braking because the post is in the way. Deal-breaker for me.
My first rig was a Playseat. I sold it after one week of use. Try heel/toe with that central post...
It wobbles to much and the seat itself is a back killer too.
It was easier to get out of my 125cc shifter kart too...

Haiden
07-03-2016, 19:56
I have a GT Omega Art, and love it. I've tried a Playseat, but I had a Wheel Stand Pro, and the center post is annoying, especially if you have a three pedal set. Avoid rigs with center posts if at all possible.

Awong124
07-03-2016, 19:59
My first rig was a Playseat. I sold it after one week of use. Try heel/toe with that central post...
It wobbles to much and the seat itself is a back killer too.
It was easier to get out of my 125cc shifter kart too...

Heel-toeing in and of itself is not particularly a problem, because you can mount the pedals with the center post in line with the gap between the clutch and brake. What becomes a problem is if you want to change between left and right foot braking, then there's no good way to mount the pedals.

If you're a person who never left foot brakes, then the Playseat is absolutely fine. Or if you're a person who only left foot brakes and never uses the clutch, then the Playseat is also absolutely fine. But if you plan on switching between the two, stay away from Playseat.

Fight-Test
07-03-2016, 20:11
I didn't mind the middle post but I don't use a clutch pedal. I can see it being a issue if your trying to heel to toe. Mine was comfy but a tad on the small side for me. My head was over the head rest and im only 6 foot. I does have a wobble if you are hard on the wheel and even the pedal plate can move a bit if you don't have it braced up against something. 80/20 rig, im telling you, you will never need another rig. I do have a playseat SV and its collecting dust.

https://www.google.com/search?q=80/20+sim+rig&espv=2&biw=1242&bih=606&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFyNG0rq_LAhWrloMKHdplBmIQ_AUIBygC

There are so may parts and custom sim parts for these. You can easily run f1 style and gt style by using a simple tilt device. Way cheaper than any rig, way more customization. You can buy any seat you want for it. You have full movement of every part of it. No wobble on anything and my entire rig other than the seat came in a 12 inch by 12 inch by 3 ft box. So storage and moving it can be incredibility easy. Everything is countersuck and rock solid. You can get a tv stand or just mount on wall and slide it up to the tv. Rseat was what I was gonna get but this was cheaper, easier to move, much more customization, any seat you want and the list goes on. You can even go down to Granger and get more parts and pieces for it as you need. 4playracing is where I got mine. They even have one that folds up if space is a issue.

My entire rig plus the tv stand, bolts etc all came in that white box. The seat which is a sim racing seat from ricmotech is the only cumbersome part.

Here is the space saving one. Has a hinge below the pedals so you can fold that up and slide into closet where ever you need. 4 1/2 foot long rig all folded out, 3 ft when folded up.

Krus Control
07-03-2016, 20:23
It's definitely worth your money to get pedals with a load cell brake IMO. It adds to the immersion and will make your laptimes and consistency better. Nothing wrong with potentiometer brake pedals, but load cell is better. I would call any rig that doesn't have a load cell incomplete.

I use a Granstand. Not the best cockpit but is super cheap. And you can buy the wheel stand and seat separately and then connect them when you have both.

Fight-Test
07-03-2016, 20:37
I didn't mind the middle post but I don't use a clutch pedal. I can see it being a issue if your trying to heel to toe. Mine was comfy but a tad on the small side for me. My head was over the head rest and im only 6 foot. I does have a wobble if you are hard on the wheel and even the pedal plate can move a bit if you don't have it braced up against something. 80/20 rig, im telling you, you will never need another rig. I do have a playseat SV and its collecting dust.

https://www.google.com/search?q=80/20+sim+rig&espv=2&biw=1242&bih=606&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFyNG0rq_LAhWrloMKHdplBmIQ_AUIBygC

There are so may parts and custom sim parts for these. You can easily run f1 style and gt style by using a simple tilt device. Way cheaper than any rig, way more customization. You can buy any seat you want for it. You have full movement of every part of it. No wobble on anything and my entire rig other than the seat came in a 12 inch by 12 inch by 3 ft box. So storage and moving it can be incredibility easy. Everything is countersuck and rock solid. You can get a tv stand or just mount on wall and slide it up to the tv. Rseat was what I was gonna get but this was cheaper, easier to move, much more customization, any seat you want and the list goes on. You can even go down to Granger and get more parts and pieces for it as you need. 4playracing is where I got mine. They even have one that folds up if space is a issue.

My entire rig plus the tv stand, bolts etc all came in that white box. The seat which is a sim racing seat from ricmotech is the only cumbersome part.

Here is the space saving one. Has a hinge below the pedals so you can fold that up and slide into closet where ever you need. 4 1/2 foot long rig all folded out, 3 ft when folded up.

And to add I spend $749 for my rig minus the seat. I have the rolls royce of his models though. The Dual Arm TV stand was $300 of it. So $449 for the rig part but you can use a single bar for the wheel which is around $75 bucks less and supposedly just as sturdy. I also had the buttkicker mount and F1 tilt in that price. The space saving one I posted above is probably Closer to $300. Go to junkyard and get you a good seat for $40 bucks and mount you tv on wall (use one that will let you tv be away from wall) and your good to go.

Simplesimon
07-03-2016, 20:42
I have a GT Omega Art, and love it. I've tried a Playseat, but I had a Wheel Stand Pro, and the center post is annoying, especially if you have a three pedal set. Avoid rigs with center posts if at all possible.

Oh dear. Now I'm getting confused!
I don't like the sound of the playseat flexing. Just taken a look at reviews on YouTube. And you can clearly see the centre post flexing with the steering input.
The 80/20 rig looks very rigid. But from what I can see, is only sold in the US.
Going to give the GT Omega some thought. Can someone tell me if the seat is comfortable, and is it more solid flex wise!!?!

Fight-Test
07-03-2016, 21:01
I don't like the sound of the playseat flexing. Just taken a look at reviews on YouTube. And you can clearly see the centre post flexing with the steering input.
The 80/20 rig looks very rigid. But from what I can see, is only sold in the US.
Going to give the GT Omega some thought. Can someone tell me if the seat is comfortable, and is it more solid flex wise!!?!

Where are you? Its actually a European thing. 4play is the only American co that sells it that I know of. Alot more options in europe and cheaper.

Sixer
07-03-2016, 21:22
Heel to toe I don't have a problem with on the Playseat but that's mainly because how I mounted my pedals . I could see the issue with left foot braking. Me myself I don't left foot brake even in my racecar but it's understandable that people do left foot brake.

Weird about the flexing. Mine doesn't flex.

Haiden
07-03-2016, 21:40

It's pretty comfortable and it reclines. I got the RS6 seat, but only because the U.S. distributor's website is screwed up and doesn't show the version with the RS9 seat or any of the accessories, unless you click into the category, instead of the drop down. Had I known that and seen the version with the RS9 seat, I would have purchased that one. It's only $30 more, but has a little more width and cushion. If you got with the Omega, I also recommend purchasing the caster wheels and table top. I added both. It was fine without them, but the extra space the table top affords is really nice. The caster wheels are nice, too. Even if you're not moving the rig around, they add a few inches of height to it, so it doesn't sit so low. A homemade platform would do the same thing, I guess. I like to slide mine out of the way some times, though.

Edit: If the Playseat was a lot cheaper than the other non-center post options, that would be one thing. But it's roughly the same price, doesn't have a reclining seat, and is known to have a little flex in the frame. I like the Omega GT Art, but admit there are other open frame rigs that are just as good, or better. I just can't get behind the Playseat because it's priced comparable to other seats, but doesn't offer the same form factors.

Djuvinile
09-03-2016, 14:23
Ever considered a Playseat challenge? its cheap, foldable, adjustable in height. very comfortable (no pole in the middle)...
I used it now for half a year and am very pleased. 229464

Jbpd
09-03-2016, 20:39
Ever considered a Playseat challenge? its cheap, foldable, adjustable in height. very comfortable (no pole in the middle)...

How adjustable is the wheel position i.e. can you have it much nearer the body?

Djuvinile
10-03-2016, 09:17
The wheel position is adjustable in 3 steps towards you or further away (ive put mine the furthest away), the wheel angle is adjustable in any degree. When you put the seat height upwards more you automatically are closer to the wheel. The only downside i can think of is that the height of the wheel always stays the same, so when you put your chair down too much (ass almost on the floor) then you will have your wheel in front of you instead of the screen..
hope it helped you, if you got questions still just ask.

Jbpd
10-03-2016, 13:12
The wheel position is adjustable in 3 steps towards you or further away (ive put mine the furthest away), the wheel angle is adjustable in any degree. When you put the seat height upwards more you automatically are closer to the wheel. The only downside i can think of is that the height of the wheel always stays the same, so when you put your chair down too much (ass almost on the floor) then you will have your wheel in front of you instead of the screen..
hope it helped you, if you got questions still just ask.

cheers mate, I think I'm going to invest, as been struggling with my shoulder last few months, from how I'm sitting with my current setup. Glad to hear you can move the wheel nearer as although I'm 6ft tall I was thinking I wouldn't reach that!

I've been eying up the other playseats, and had passed by this one as I thought it was just a canvas chair...............your picture is much better than the one on their website, and shows the seat to be much more substantial.

Last question is much movement is there on the wheel?

ps I've got the same wheel and pedal setup as you!

Djuvinile
10-03-2016, 15:45
So then you also got a ricmotech adapter i think!?

You will be actually surprised how solid this is when u sit in it. and i like the seats fabric feel a lot as well.
the movement isnt noticable for me at all during racing. there is some vertical movement, but very minimal.

go watch the youtube review on this seat done by inside simracing :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_lxcNdMdmU

Jbpd
10-03-2016, 19:09
Yep have that adapter! Took me days of searching to find that adapter before I bought the wheel!! Don't have the shifter though, I hardly used the shifter when I used g27.

Watched that video at lunch actually and that's what led to asking about stability as it looks quite bouncy in the video but they said u don't really notice and now u confirm that.

So I think I'm going to buy! Need dimantle the old computer desk I have the wheel mounted on desk

Cheers for your help

Derosi T2
11-03-2016, 00:20
229590Playseat evo is a great starter rig and the center post is a non issue with the proper pedal mounting.. If you get three pedal set use the stock brake pedal and that will help... My buddy has a raceroom rr3033 and flex is similar.. 229589

Fanapryde
11-03-2016, 06:19
Playseat evo is a great starter rig and the center post is a non issue with the proper pedal mounting.. If you get three pedal set use the stock brake pedal and that will help... My buddy has a raceroom rr3033 and flex is similar..
Probably depending on the individual and the kind if wheel and pedals used.
I started with the Playseat and moved to the RR after a week (I had G27 setup back then)
The PS center post was ennoying, the seat was very basic and bad for my back and the thing wobbled too much.
What you call a 'non issue' was for me (and a lot of others I know of) a BIG issue.

The RR (changed to T500 setup after another week) is on another level.
- great seat, comfortable and inclining back rest
- easy access
- very stable (I did install the optional stiffeners tbh)
- transfer of FFB was much better.
- base chassis can be easily extended for button box, keybord, sound set, and more.
It only lacked the possibilty to change the angle of the pedal plate and steering wheel.

This made me change to the Simetik K2 rig which uses even heavier steel and is fully adjustable in any sense.
Not a good choice to move around a lot though, it weighs in at 27 kg (naked chassis), but there is absolutely no flex or wobble and FFB transfer stepped up another notch. It is amazing to feel the difference in FFB between several rigs.

Koza_Nostra
11-03-2016, 14:09

I have the same seat and I highly recommend it. Myself, I could not get a big rig in my house, as my Fiance won't let me just keep it in the living room, duh :)

So this was a perfect solution, takes 2 minutes to set up and 2 minutes to put away, just fold it up and put it away in the shed, it's perfect.

It's quite adjustable, heigh, seat angle, steering angle.. Watching Simracing review video before purchasing this chair, I was also worried about the stability of the steering wheel, but went for it anyway, and I can assure you, it's stable! Yes if you intend to push the wheel up and down it will move, but if you are racing normally, you would never notice it even it slightly moves.
All in all, for the price and usability, you just can't go wrong. Highly recommend it mate