PDA

View Full Version : It just keeps getting better!

Rowley Birkin QC
07-03-2016, 21:20
Since first getting this game a few months ago and gathering information from this forum, the game has been addictive. Since adding a g29 wheel and pedals and using Jack Spades FFB settings it went up a notch in the immersion stakes.

Tonight I just watched a video posted on this forum about FOV.......now the SIM is completely off the scale!!

I'm using a PS4 connected to a 42" plasma, used an FOV calculator whic advised a setting of 40.

WHAT A REVELATION.

car is easier to handle, I can catch the rear end slide quicker, I can hit apexes that I struggled with before, brake much later and I can be much more precise with where I put the car.

I've read a lot of "complaints" about this SIM on here, and they are entitled to their opinion, but for me at he moment, I can only find better and better things the more time I spend on it.

Apologies for all of you that already know and have experienced this, but for those that haven't, it's a game changer.

Raging Bull
07-03-2016, 21:41
You have a link to the vid?

beetes_juice
07-03-2016, 21:44

Not a vid, but this could help: http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/

*Notice the name from the forum, think he is a member.

Rowley Birkin QC
07-03-2016, 22:00

It's the one in this topic

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?45491-FOV-settings

And the online calculator is here;

http://carsfov.moritzlawitschka.de

ports
07-03-2016, 22:02

http://youtu.be/4yYeiAHsdr0

kevin kirk
07-03-2016, 22:37
Just over lay your wheel over the wheel on the screen. I would also have to add. A correct FOV isnt calculated. A correct FOV is simply seeing only what you would see if you was setting in a real race car. The top of the dash blocking your view of seeing exactly were the rumble strips are and the a pillar blocking your view of the apex and so on. Also you cant have any sort of FOV sensitivity setting or g force setting on because your FOV setting number that you just figured up is constantly changing with how fast your going with those options on.

BigDad
07-03-2016, 22:52
How do you turn them off? The fov sensitivity and g force.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
07-03-2016, 23:19
Yup, having a realistic FOV is such a massive boon to making everything seem more "correct", it really is worth taking into consideration when designing your rig (specifically screen size and DISTANCE FROM THE SCREEN, bring that sucker as close as possible, my 42" TV is 65 cm away from my eyes when I'm sitting in my rig, for a FOV of 70 degrees). Too high FOV makes the road seem narrower (making it more difficult to accurately place your car), the corners seem straighter (tends to make you brake too late and underestimate your entry speed), lateral movements look slower (this makes noticing and catching slides more difficult) and reducing vertical elevations as well.

A correct FOV isnt calculated.It is, at least if you use "correct" to mean "giving you a realistic 1:1 scale projection of what you'd be seeing on the area of the monitor screen in real life". Your monitor covers a certain area of your vision (field of view) based on how big it is (since we use horizontal FOV in-game it's specifically how wide it is) and how far away from you it is (this assumes though that the screen is pointing at you). There is only one FOV setting that matches that, where the view shown in the game is equally wide as the area of your vision covered by the screen. This is what gives you a 1:1 scale from your viewpoint, making everything on screen appear to be the same size as it would be in real life (and of course this breaks down if you more your head away or closer to the screen).

How the wheel lines up, how the horizon lines up, how the dash lines up, those are all separate from having the correct FOV. After measuring and setting a realistic FOV for your rig you do need to adjust the camera up/down, forwards/backwards, sometimes left/right for each car, and VERY importantly the vertical angle needs to be adjusted so that the horizon on-screen is roughly eye level to you. For example on my 23" monitor my eyes were at a level roughly equal to 3/4 of the height of the screen, so I set my horizon there. Looking neutrally forward I naturally hit the horizon, and this was good. When I switched over to my current 42" screen, it's so much taller that my eye level is only at 1/2 the height of the screen, and since the horizon was still at the 3/4 point it had moved relatively upwards by a lot. To see the horizon I had to consciously look up with my eyes, which made me feel like I was looking down by default. So I had to adjust the angle again to bring the horizon down to the halfway point of the screen. Then there are some people who have their screens set to be fully above their wheel, and their eye level is just slightly over the wheel rim. These people would need to set the angle so that the horizon is almost at the bottom of the screen (and as a result they wouldn't see the dashboard or the on-screen wheel the vast majority of the time).

This is different for every rig and screen size, and needs to be adjusted every time the size and height of the monitor compared to your eyes changes. But these things have very robust reasons why they are the way they are, and all are easily calculated.

Now whether a realistic FOV is USABLE is another thing. With some setups I've seen small monitors so far away from the player than the realistic FOV would have to be 20 degrees, which simply is not usable, you wouldn't see anything. Then you have to make compromises. But a realistic ("correct") fov is based purely on the setup of your rig and math.

EDIT: I will admit though that laying the wheel controller over the on-screen wheel is a really good short-hand for getting close to a realistic FOV and camera settings, but it's by no means fool proof. Your controller probably has the wrong size wheel, a real Ferrari GTE wheel for example is around 37.5 cm in diameter, whereas most wheels for gamers are 28 cm (G2X, T300/TX) or 30 cm (CSR-E, T500), you'll end up with distortion there (too high FOV). The wheel in the real car might be set lower down or be at a different angle compared to where the driver is than how your rig is set up (my wheel is fairly high compared to me, on many real cars the wheel is definitely closer to my lap), which can cause you issues with the angle of the camera. And it might be closer or further away from you than in your rig, though that can often be solved with the camera forwards/backwards.

Still, it's definitely a good starting point if you want to avoid maths.

ramm21
07-03-2016, 23:47
Is all this assuming you are using cockpit view?

08-03-2016, 00:07
Is all this assuming you are using cockpit view?Well when you're talking about seeing what you'd see in real life, yeah. Of course the same math etc. holds true with regard to distorted images etc., you just have to imagine your head was removed and placed on the bonnet, front bumper or the roof as well. =)

Cheesenium
08-03-2016, 05:59
I give the FoV calculator a shot where I have a 15 inch laptop and I sit about 1m away. The calculator gives me an estimated FoV of 19, isn't that insanely small? It's will be like looking out though a hole or something racing.

resmania
08-03-2016, 09:37
I give the FoV calculator a shot where I have a 15 inch laptop and I sit about 1m away. The calculator gives me an estimated FoV of 19, isn't that insanely small? It's will be like looking out though a hole or something racing.

Yes, it is small. As I understands calculated FoV is suitable for triple-screen or widescreen setup. So if you're running on a small screen I would go for standard 90 FoV.

08-03-2016, 09:50
I give the FoV calculator a shot where I have a 15 inch laptop and I sit about 1m away. The calculator gives me an estimated FoV of 19, isn't that insanely small? It's will be like looking out though a hole or something racing.Yes, a tiny screen far away is going to result in a very low realistic FOV. If that screen was 60 cm away you'd already get up to 30 degrees (which is still too little for proper usability). With rigs like that you do need to make compromises.

konnos
08-03-2016, 09:51

15inches screen at 1m?? That is insanely small. May I ask why you have it that far? Is it a problem to stick your laptop right behind your wheel?

DreamsKnight
08-03-2016, 10:45
15inches screen at 1m?? That is insanely small. May I ask why you have it that far? Is it a problem to stick your laptop right behind your wheel?

50cm beetween eyes and wheel, 25cm of body of the wheel, 25cm of keyboard/body of notebook. i think it is close the most he can. :D