PDA

View Full Version : Car setup question

TheHidde
08-03-2016, 19:45
Hello,

I got a question about the camber setting.
Does increase camber means setting the camber to -2.5.......-2.4........-2.3.... etc? or does it means -2.5......-2.6.....-2.7..... etc etc? And that also goes with the toe in settings?
I hope i explained it good enough. :p

http://i63.tinypic.com/28a8h39.jpg

Schnizz58
08-03-2016, 20:04
Increase means farther from 0 camber so in this case more negative. Positive camber is rarely used. With toe in, it's a little different because toe can be either positive or negative. Usually front is negative so if somebody said "more front toe", I'd interpret that to mean more negative (i.e., more toe out). However it would be the opposite for the rear.

3800racingfool
08-03-2016, 20:45
Easiest way to think of Camber is looking at the wheel as if you were driving forward. The further to the left you move the slider, the more the bottom of the tire angles out. The more you move it to the right, the more the bottom of the tire angles in.

Toe in/out is similar. You're just looking at the tire top-down instead and the front edge of the tire is what angles in/out with the slider.

Panopticism
08-03-2016, 21:14
Camber refers to that axis, so it is common for people to say "not enough camber" when they mean more specifically "not enough negative camber", and "too much camber" when they mean "excessive negative camber".

In the case of the tuning screen, they're doing just that. "Increasing camber can have a positive effect..." = "increasing negative camber can have a positive effect..."

Since the game explicitly refers to "toe-in angle", they mean that increasing toe-in is going in the positive direction.

cmch15
08-03-2016, 21:30
Hello,

I got a question about the camber setting.
Does increase camber means setting the camber to -2.5.......-2.4........-2.3.... etc? or does it means -2.5......-2.6.....-2.7..... etc etc? And that also goes with the toe in settings?
I hope i explained it good enough. :p

http://i63.tinypic.com/28a8h39.jpg

Quite a good article here with diagrams if you want to understand it fully.

http://yospeed.com/wheel-alignment-explained-camber-caster-toe/

Short answer is negative values are "more" in both camber and toe (out).

Edit: Arguably the game ought to just say "Toe" rather than "toe-in" since you can set negative (out) and positive (in) values.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
08-03-2016, 22:44
Edit: Arguably the game ought to just say "Toe" rather than "toe-in" since you can set negative (out) and positive (in) values.Because you can set it to both negative and positive values is EXACTLY why it should say "toe-in" instead of just toe. If it said just "toe" you wouldn't be able to tell whether positive meant toe in or out, since both styles are used around the world. Because it says "toe-in" you know that positive values are toe-in and negative values are toe-out.

cmch15
08-03-2016, 22:59
Now you mention it, I think I recall this coming up before. I assume by around the world you mean the US, as the menus and setup screen use American spellings and terminology?

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
08-03-2016, 23:07
Now you mention it, I think I recall this coming up before. I assume by around the world you mean the US, as the menus and setup screen use American spellings and terminology?I've seen different magazines and garages in the same country use widely varying nomenclature, some mark toe-in, some mark toe-out, some even mark both toe-in and toe-out, always using whichever gives them the positive. Some racing car setup sheets I've seen have had printed on the template toe-out for the front and toe-in for the rear, since that's what they'll always go anyway, unless something remarkable happens. IMO it's always best to write out exactly which one you mean instead of just putting "toe".

TheHidde
09-03-2016, 06:18
Quite a good article here with diagrams if you want to understand it fully.

http://yospeed.com/wheel-alignment-explained-camber-caster-toe/

Short answer is negative values are "more" in both camber and toe (out).

Edit: Arguably the game ought to just say "Toe" rather than "toe-in" since you can set negative (out) and positive (in) values.

Thanks! that article expains it very clear. :)