PDA

View Full Version : So Porsche signed with Forza - where does that leave the rest of us?

Warren1571
09-03-2016, 08:46
Saw the new Porsche Forza announcement trailer today, but must say it left me disappointed that this possibly means we won't see the Porsche marquee in other driving games and sims anytime soon.

Even more disappointing that may mean the WEC winning LMP1 cars are in Forza.

I have an xbox one but my care factor for Forza is less than zero.

Anyone know if the Porsche licence is all stitched up by this announcement?

balderz002
09-03-2016, 08:50
I was under the impression T10 had to do a(nother) deal with the devil (EA) to get Porsche in the game, much like they have done on previous titles.

As far as I know, the Porsche licence is still stitched up by EA.

I fear this thread might get merged with the existing Forza Motorsport thread in teh off topic section........... Well, not fear, but think it will/ should be there.

hkraft300
09-03-2016, 08:51
Porsche has a stitched up exclusivity deal with someone else (EA?) and occasionally lend a few cars to Turn10 for Forza.
Rumour says that stitched up deal is getting unstitched soon.

Edit: ninjamatic

Diamond_Eyes
09-03-2016, 08:54
Don't forget EA have ninja-alien lawyers from hell with only one goal in mind

APR193
09-03-2016, 09:06
Every single time Turn 10 add Porsche to their game as an expansion pack it comes with talk that the EA/Porsche deal has ended/is ending soon etc, and not once over the past 5 years has that actually been true. I don't expect it is this time either. It will be business as usual.

Stuff Turn 10 haven't done before, add more Porsche models to current game outside of expansion pack. If in their remaining DLC they add any more Porsche cars, I'd take that as a good sign that the EA Porsche deal has indeed ended, and Porsche are now just as obtainable as any other manufacturer (just a matter of how much ). Unless Forza gets more Porsches (or any other game for that matter), or Turn 10 (or any other game producer) announce Porsche cars for Horizon 3 later in the year from launch, then nothing has changed.

Sankyo
09-03-2016, 09:10
As the others stated, AFAIK it's all about money and obtaining a (sub)license is still possible. My guess is though that EA can arbitrarily deny the request, possibly also related to whether the title will be in direct competition with their NFS titles or not.

balderz002
09-03-2016, 09:21
I'm sure if Ian wrote EA a blank cheque, we would see some porkers in Project Cars............ But whats the point?

Diamond_Eyes
09-03-2016, 09:30
if ....wrote EA a blank cheque....

But that wouldn't be enough....

they'll want a blank legal contract

for me, Porsche look like proper chumps for signing away exclusivity of their products to EA

pollinho123
09-03-2016, 09:34
No Porsches for pCars 1, with some luck some Porsches for pCars 2.

That's the way I see it. Would be happy to see them in pCars, just because it is one of the most iconic brands when it comes to racing.

Cheesenium
09-03-2016, 10:27
I dont really care anymore, might as well just enjoy what pcars has than pondering when will Porsche comes. And Ruf generally filled the void reasonably well.

Warren1571
09-03-2016, 10:30
No Porsches for pCars 1, with some luck some Porsches for pCars 2.

That's the way I see it. Would be happy to see them in pCars, just because it is one of the most iconic brands when it comes to racing.

Geez - I just hope you are right and we see them in pcars2!!

Guessing SMS will have to work some serious magic to get the licence...

hdh
09-03-2016, 11:02
Don't forget EA have ninja-alien lawyers from hell with only one goal in mind

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/bAf97zivlAihtZxd4nCWX_pHicA=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6138629/doom_hell.0.jpg

This is pretty much anyone that gets into legal trouble with EA.

havocc
09-03-2016, 11:12
Canadians are just jealous because they don't have car manifacturers:p

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
09-03-2016, 11:19
And Ruf generally filled the void reasonably well.Aside from the racing side of things. Loooots of nice vintage Porsche stuff going totally untapped...

Cheesenium
09-03-2016, 11:25
Aside from the racing side of things. Loooots of nice vintage Porsche stuff going totally untapped...

Which I really do not care anymore considering how much exclusivity EA signed with Porsche. It isnt coming in any way, so why should I keep hoping for it?

hkraft300
09-03-2016, 11:42
Considering T10 been nabbing a few here and there, how exclusive is that deal though, really?

Salty Dog
09-03-2016, 11:42
I think they got the V8SC rights too, they seem to get lots of the good stuff.

APR193
09-03-2016, 11:50
Considering T10 been nabbing a few here and there, how exclusive is that deal though, really?

T10 must pay an awful lot of money for the cars they get though, hence why they release it as a separate add on rather than include it from launch.

EDIT - I calculated a very rough estimation that players have spent about $440,000 on the FM6 Porsche expansion pack, so even though they must have paid a lot to EA I think its safe to say they've earnt it back and then some.

Spitfire_88
09-03-2016, 14:44
Porsche license is impossibru, as Ferrari or Lamborghini, only in mods. I think.

BullWinkle
09-03-2016, 15:21

Well...we did back in the 70's. LOL.
http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/born-in-new-brunswick-the-bricklin-sv-1-was-a-huge-failure

Rambo_Commando
09-03-2016, 15:22

Really?

FS7
09-03-2016, 15:28
Porsche license is impossibru, as Ferrari or Lamborghini, only in mods. I think.
Wasn't Lamborghini licensed for PCars2? I also heard SMS were talking to Ferrari about licensing some cars for PCars2.

APR193
09-03-2016, 15:37
Wasn't Lamborghini licensed for PCars2? I also heard SMS were talking to Ferrari about licensing some cars for PCars2.

Last we heard there was a good chance for Lambo, and they were in talks with Ferrari. Both could be added for Pcars 2, almost definitely not before. Lambo I believe was "confirmed" but not officially.

poirqc
09-03-2016, 16:01
Aside from the racing side of things. Loooots of nice vintage Porsche stuff going totally untapped...

I don't know what i would do, but i would do much to be able to drive a '73 RS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR-l7e4kEkI

poirqc
09-03-2016, 16:08
Well...we did back in the 70's. LOL.
http://driving.ca/auto-news/news/born-in-new-brunswick-the-bricklin-sv-1-was-a-huge-failure

Thanks for the article. Pretty interesting!

chaozbandit
09-03-2016, 16:30

Well we had Plethore when they made that sales pitch for the LC750/LC1300 mid-engined supercars on Dragons Den back in 2010, but they've pretty much fallen off the face of the earth. Going back a little further, there was also MCV who built the CH4 in 1995, a natural gas powered concept car that pioneered in aerodynamics and was built in Mississauga, but as far as I know there is only one surviving car.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
09-03-2016, 16:59
I don't know what i would do, but i would do much to be able to drive a '73 RS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR-l7e4kEkIThere's obviously a massive amount of interesting road machinery in Porsche's garage, and those are what interest me more than any of their racing cars, but the point was that Ruf can fairly decently fill the void in that are whereas they can't do anything about Porsche's racing cars.

poirqc
09-03-2016, 19:19
There's obviously a massive amount of interesting road machinery in Porsche's garage, and those are what interest me more than any of their racing cars, but the point was that Ruf can fairly decently fill the void in that are whereas they can't do anything about Porsche's racing cars.

I don't have anything against RuF, really. My video post was just video game nostalgia (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQJYGCjWX_0)! :)

Warren1571
09-03-2016, 23:06
I'm pretty happy with Ruf's in pcars fills the void in the GT3 class nicely. But what I really wanted to see was Porsche LMP1 coming to pcars2, that would be awesome and make the in game LMP1 class much more of a solid category.

My fingers are crossed that somehow that eventuates by the time pcars2 hits the shelves.

Sasquatch
10-03-2016, 00:57
Anyone know if the Porsche licence is all stitched up by this announcement?

The Porsche license isn't going to "expire". Turn10/Microsoft simply gave an absurd amount of money to EA to use it.

Cheesenium
10-03-2016, 01:24
The Porsche license isn't going to "expire". Turn10/Microsoft simply gave an absurd amount of money to EA to use it.

Probably also why the Porsche DLC cost quite a fair bit too.

Apoc112
10-03-2016, 07:28
for me, Porsche look like proper chumps for signing away exclusivity of their products to EA

For what it's worth, I have heard that T10 has a similar license agreement with Ferrari, but they are much more generous stewards of the license and (apparently) don't charge the ludicrous fees that EA demands.

hkraft300
10-03-2016, 08:19
I'm pretty happy with Ruf's in pcars fills the void in the GT3 class nicely. But what I really wanted to see was Porsche LMP1 coming to pcars2, that would be awesome and make the in game LMP1 class much more of a solid category.

My fingers are crossed that somehow that eventuates by the time pcars2 hits the shelves.

That RS Spyder LMP2 thing would go nicely too wouldn't it :)