PDA

View Full Version : Controller Tyre Wear Issue

Motorhead Racer
10-03-2016, 09:30
No idea if anyone is able to help, as is not much you can do tbh, but worth a shot....

I am racing in a league with long races, where tyre wear will be a factor especially as I am a controller user, it will likely make the difference between needing to pit in the race, and not, and it is looking like I may well be the only one who will need to pit... not good.

I know that some of the extra wear is due to understeer scrubbing, and that there can be some setups that will help with this, however this is a default set up league so cannot tweak anything with the car itself.

Is there any settings anywhere else that may help with this issue?

Rambo_Commando
10-03-2016, 16:23
I think your only option would be to take the time lost in the pits and apply it to your lap times. For example, in a 30 lap race and pitting cost you 30 secs, slow your lap times down by .75 secs and see if helps you avoid changing tires.

Mahjik
10-03-2016, 17:55
I've never tried with a gamepad, so I may be way off... However, it seems most of the issues stem from how quickly gamepads can go from lock to lock in steering compared to a wheel. It would seem like being able to slow that down some (and still drive quickly) would aid with your wear issues.

B3ntley
10-03-2016, 18:04
Really soft suspension and really low tire pressures. You may have to do some test with the tires as my results may differ. From what I tested, At lower pressures , the tires get hotter, but dont wear as much so you lose a lot of grip. With high pressures, the tire remained cooler, but wear out more quickly.

Charger
10-03-2016, 18:11
Really soft suspension and really low tire pressures. You may have to do some test with the tires as my results may differ. From what I tested, At lower pressures , the tires get hotter, but dont wear as much so you lose a lot of grip. With high pressures, the tire remained cooler, but wear out more quickly.

I think you missed that it is a default set up league, no tuning, we did this as it makes very close racing.

Rambo_Commando
10-03-2016, 18:14
Opposite lock help ON destroys your tires same with speed sensitivity and steering sensitivity so finding that sweet spot is crucial. One thing I can say, and I'm sure pad users will agree with me, if you decide to use a game pad be prepared to spend up to a week tuning and tweaking your pad before you start racing. But once you have your pad dialled into your driving style all these problems go away.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
10-03-2016, 18:22
I've never tried with a gamepad, so I may be way off... However, it seems most of the issues stem from how quickly gamepads can go from lock to lock in steering compared to a wheel. It would seem like being able to slow that down some (and still drive quickly) would aid with your wear issues.Based on my experiences with driving with a gamepad the game already limits the maximum input rate way too much (if you go from lock to lock with the stick the wheels turn waaaaayyyyy more slowly in-game than the stick moves), and it's especially slow when you start from the center and go to full lock (game limits center to lock and lock to lock to different speeds, lock to lock is much quicker). It's bad enough that I can't steer the car quickly enough with the gamepad sometimes, the initial lag in the response hurts too much (this is totally separate from any input lag). One way to get around this was to quickly flick the steering to the opposite side and then towards where I was going, which activated the faster steering rate that you get when going lock to lock. Of course it could also easily destabilize the car...

The real problem is limiting the amount of steering input. It's really damn difficult to avoid scrubbing with a gamepad. Using the same setups for both wheel and gamepad, I tends take me only 50-75% of my wheel time to wear out my fronts with a gamepad. You need exceptional finesse to avoid this, or possibly really fine controller settings, as well as an accurate controller. With a wheel steering 10 degrees too much into a corner can wear out your tyres a lot quicker. If we assume a steering rack with 720 degrees, 10 degrees is ~2.8% of the steering range in either direction. My Xbox 360 controller's stick can move very close to 20 degrees to the side from the center, so the equivalent to 10 degrees on a wheel would be 20*0.028=0.56 degrees. Essentially each half a degree on the stick is nearly identical to 10 degrees on the wheel, so you do require very fine control.

Of course it's not as simple as that because you do have more control in a certain region of the steering due to the way sensitivity, speed sensitivity etc. work, but still, you can get my point.

Charger
10-03-2016, 18:42
or buy a wheel.......;)

hkraft300
11-03-2016, 04:35
Lower steering sensitivity?
One of the modes has ramp up behaviour if you set it below 50, so you can give more input for less output. 50 I think is linear.