PDA

View Full Version : A big problem I cant seem to work out a solution for.

kevin kirk
12-03-2016, 03:15
I am running one hour long GT races to learn the AI before going for longer ones. Every race I'm getting the AI stopping for fuel when they could easily make it to the end of a one hour race without refueling. The cars that I have tested default fuel load allows them to, some cars the default fuel load can even go as much as 10 minutes past the end of the race. They pit for fuel with TIRE WEAR ON AND OFF. Also when tire wear is on the don't take tires during the pit stop. Every race I'm finishing first or second simply because the AI are pitting and taking fuel they don't need. That's going to destroy any endurance race because they will be pitting once a hour more than they need to. Any ideas about how to solve this? Are they starting with the default fuel load that could easily make it to the end by as much as 10 minutes ( in my testing with the car they are using) and still think they need more full or are they starting with less than default and really do need more fuel? I guess turning tires and fuel off would solve it but then the fun of that is gone. I could set the race time to be longer than my fuel load allows me to go but then that's going to make them pit again for more fuel.Anybody got any idea how to work around this to make a race out of it?

Shinzah
12-03-2016, 03:28
The AI reaches a point where it has a certain buffer to what it considers a "Safe" fuel load.

In the career mode in 2h+ races I've noticed that they will take risks on the final stint, but never on the first stop of a stint.

You could try bumping up to 2h or more and see if it helps, or you could work the strategy out.

Add an additional 30-40minutes to the race (90mins works fairly well) then you will need to stop too, but also have enough time that the field follows through with the order WITHOUT pitting a second time.

Edit: You can also try shutting off fuel usage, but I've never tried this.

kevin kirk
12-03-2016, 04:00
The AI reaches a point where it has a certain buffer to what it considers a "Safe" fuel load.

In the career mode in 2h+ races I've noticed that they will take risks on the final stint, but never on the first stop of a stint.

You could try bumping up to 2h or more and see if it helps, or you could work the strategy out.

Add an additional 30-40minutes to the race (90mins works fairly well) then you will need to stop too, but also have enough time that the field follows through with the order WITHOUT pitting a second time.

Edit: You can also try shutting off fuel usage, but I've never tried this..........So what they do during a one hour race isn't what they will do every hour of a endurance race?

Shinzah
12-03-2016, 04:10
.........So what they do during a one hour race isn't what they will do every hour of a endurance race?

Not as far as I can tell. I once had a final stint of a 4h go south because one of the competing LMP1's just outright skipped a stop I was sure he'd take and held on for victory.

E_Luckow
12-03-2016, 04:11
.........So what they do during a one hour race isn't what they will do every hour of a endurance race?

You have to try. But, for sure someone has the answer.
Im curious too.

All my races (GT class) are set for 38-46 laps. This is about one and a half hour, and one pit. This is fine, because I do need that pit to change tires (and refuel). Im not able to race more than 20 laps without destroing the tires.

gaz6k
12-03-2016, 22:44
I was wondering if you did qualifying and/or warm up before your 1hr race ? Maybe they start with full tank in qualifying
but don't refuel for start of race. Just a thought.

kevin kirk
12-03-2016, 22:50
I was wondering if you did qualifying and/or warm up before your 1hr race ? Maybe they start with full tank in qualifying
but don't refuel for start of race. Just a thought. 1 hour practice no warmup, and 15 minute quali.

gaz6k
12-03-2016, 22:58
Maybe try 1hr race with random grid and no practice or qualifying. See if they go to the end without pitting.

kevin kirk
12-03-2016, 23:59
Maybe try 1hr race with random grid and no practice or qualifying. See if they go to the end without pitting....Tonight I'm going to turn tire wear off and add enough time to the race that will make me have to pit. The problem is that's going to have to be at least 15 or 20 minutes. The AI was pitting so early,some at the 40 minute mark, in a one hour race. If they follow that same strategy as their first stop, then added that time meant to cause me to pit would just make them think they have to pit twice..... I am almost afraid to test it because If the AI pit twice in a race timed to make me pit once, then trying to have a race with the AI using pit stops is pointless.

jimmyb_84
13-03-2016, 10:40
I've been having exactly the same problem, I've since found out that the AI start with 60ltrs of fuel and that's the reason they stop. It's very annoying my only solution to this is to match them and start with 60ltrs for the first stint too.

gaz6k
13-03-2016, 12:51
Ive got no evidence, so you can shoot me down in flames on this. Just a gut feeling.
I reckon its to do with the AI logic on timed races (remember this was not an original feature). Maybe try a race with practice, quali then
a laps race that will last an hour and observe their behaviour.

kevin kirk
13-03-2016, 20:52
I've been having exactly the same problem, I've since found out that the AI start with 60ltrs of fuel and that's the reason they stop. It's very annoying my only solution to this is to match them and start with 60ltrs for the first stint too....From my testing its not so much matching there fuel to what they start with but being not pushing your fuel to the end on old tires. If the race ends on the close side of them running out they will just stop for fuel. They know exactly how to manage the race. Meaning if you turn fuel off and just have tire wear set with needing one stop in a hour race. They will stop at the half way mark managing their tires. Its just they choose not to push their fuel load as much as I would. The big problem that causes the player isn't really needing to match their fuel load but needing to choose if you want to pit early like they do or keep running on older tires trying to empty your fuel while the AI are on newer tires pushing with enough fuel to make it to the end. Will your times drop off enough on older tires for them to catch you from them being on new ones. They have caught back up to me from me being on older tires. You can also dictate how they stop with setting tire wear rate if you can get your head around how the AI reacts to different tire wear rates. Last night they pitted and I stayed out thinking they just threw the race away only to have them catch me on newer tires. I found myself thinking no,im the one that through the race away for not pitting for tires even though I had enough fuel.

kevin kirk
13-03-2016, 21:02
Ive got no evidence, so you can shoot me down in flames on this. Just a gut feeling.
I reckon its to do with the AI logic on timed races (remember this was not an original feature). Maybe try a race with practice, quali then
a laps race that will last an hour and observe their behaviour.....Last night I learned the AI knows exactly the best way to run the race. They pitted early,dash of fuel and new tires and beat me to finish line with me staying out.

Shinzah
13-03-2016, 22:09
....Last night I learned the AI knows exactly the best way to run the race. They pitted early,dash of fuel and new tires and beat me to finish line with me staying out.

It's a b***h innit? :|

gaz6k
13-03-2016, 22:10
I think were going to have to accept they will always have the edge when it comes to strategy. But sometimes I think our
pitstops are longer. Many times ive been leading, pitted and ended up in 4th or 5th after AI have all pitted too, even though I
was never overtaken during race.