PDA

View Full Version : Is this cheating?

TheOutsider_AMR
12-03-2016, 12:48
PS4 Related Issue:

Minding my own business with a friend of mine around the classic Hockenhiem course, in the BMW M1 procars, in a qualifying session on a public lobby, halfway through the session he says "someone just punted me off at about 300 miles per hour", which I originally thought was exaggerating, however he said "I was doing 150 and he was doing double that!", so I start looking through the monitor to find out what was going on, and I see someone called "cocohand" is literally on rails through the stadium section:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV8H4j_4nxs

His eventual laptime was a 1.05, when my best was double that, naturally I kicked him from the server, but I'd like to report this further.

If this was a bug in the game, on this particular circuit, we'd all be lapping one of the longest circuits in the game in just over a minute.

khems17
12-03-2016, 22:15
I haven't seen anything like that brought up anywhere. That's crazy. Not sure if it's worth a report, unless you can somehow pull more evidence that that player is doing that on other servers as well, and it was not just a bug.

BigDad
13-03-2016, 13:31
That looks pretty standard for that BMW , i think you guys are just slow ,lol.

Sankyo
13-03-2016, 20:36
Minding my own business with a friend of mine around the classic Hockenhiem course, in the BMW M1 procars, in a qualifying session on a public lobby, halfway through the session he says "someone just punted me off at about 300 miles per hour", which I originally thought was exaggerating, however he said "I was doing 150 and he was doing double that!", so I start looking through the monitor to find out what was going on, and I see someone called "cocohand" is literally on rails through the stadium section:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV8H4j_4nxs

His eventual laptime was a 1.05, when my best was double that, naturally I kicked him from the server, but I'd like to report this further.

If this was a bug in the game, on this particular circuit, we'd all be lapping one of the longest circuits in the game in just over a minute.
That looks like someone, knowingly or unknowingly, experiencing a known PC timer issue.

flatspunout
14-03-2016, 03:57
That looks like someone, knowingly or unknowingly, experiencing a known PC timer issue.

This is the PS4 section...OP probably hasn't changed platform as it is their first post.

Sankyo
14-03-2016, 07:53
This is the PS4 section...OP probably hasn't changed platform as it is their first post.

Ah I see, I indeed only looked at his platform tag :)

That makes it even more puzzling, as hacking the PS4 in any way is a lot more complicated I think.

I did read once about devices that induce online lag, but this doesn't look like lag. I bet though that there are a lot more tools and hacks available for those who desparately want to 'win'.

Still, it could be something that this particular guy was unaware of. I'll ask the devs if they know what could cause this.

Sum Dixon-Ear
14-03-2016, 11:25
I might be wildly wrong... but by looking at the car's behaviour in that clip it looks like the replay has just been sped up...

Sankyo
14-03-2016, 13:25
I might be wildly wrong... but by looking at the car's behaviour in that clip it looks like the replay has just been sped up...
But wouldn't the timer at the top right go faster then? Or is that an independent timer?

Sum Dixon-Ear
14-03-2016, 13:28
Oooh, good point Remco... dunno tbh.

The physics just look 'wrong' to me, like a fast forward replay.

MaximusN
14-03-2016, 15:30
Well considering the punted off statement(the FFWD car should also have crashed), could it be that someone recorded the network traffic of a lap and transmitted it fast forward? That could be done regardless of platform(PC/PS4/XB1). I'd think a car at this speed wouldn't be so controllable(even if the grip was double). If it was a fastforwarded 'network replay' that would explain it, because the (prerecorded)original lap is at normal speed. That or it's a HOAX of course :)

TheOutsider_AMR
15-03-2016, 22:50
The Video footage was taken from the PS4 "share video" option which I went to immediately to grab that footage as soon as possible, to make sure it was made public.

No fast forwarding was possible in the "monitor" mode, while I was returned to pit box.

MaximusN
15-03-2016, 23:00
The Video footage was taken from the PS4 "share video" option which I went to immediately to grab that footage as soon as possible, to make sure it was made public.

No fast forwarding was possible in the "monitor" mode, while I was returned to pit box.

I didn't mean that the video was fast forwarded, but the network traffic to the server. But for that to be possible the lap should be 'pre-recorded'(like with packet sniffing) and then replayed at higher speed.

Sankyo
16-03-2016, 10:00
Oooh, good point Remco... dunno tbh.

The physics just look 'wrong' to me, like a fast forward replay.

I agree, it's not that the car just moves faster but with 'normal speed' input, everything about the car seems sped up.

MaximusN
16-03-2016, 11:21
I agree, it's not that the car just moves faster but with 'normal speed' input, everything about the car seems sped up. Yeah, I agree that's what's my theory is based on. But that(recording and playing network-traffic at higher speed) should be impossible shouldn't it?

Sankyo
16-03-2016, 13:43
Yeah, I agree that's what's my theory is based on. But that(recording and playing network-traffic at higher speed) should be impossible shouldn't it?
Well, given that you can buy lag switches (http://premiumlag.com/) easily on the net that can 'cache' network traffic for quite a significant time, I wouldn't be surprised if this is something similar.

MaximusN
16-03-2016, 15:48
Well, given that you can buy lag switches (http://premiumlag.com/) easily on the net that can 'cache' network traffic for quite a significant time, I wouldn't be surprised if this is something similar. You could also use a PC with two network ports, one being connected to your network and the other one to your console. Your PC would act as a switch, but at the same time be able do anything with the data from the console using software. It could buffer a lap full of packets and then forward them to the multiplayer server at a faster speed. But I would hope there would be some protection in the netcode(hashed timestamps or something) to prevent this.

bradleyland
16-03-2016, 19:33
There's a grand canyon sized difference between a lag switch/network caching and a network data replay attack that involves modifying the data. Not saying the latter isn't possible, but it is far more difficult to execute. The PS4 encrypts much of its traffic, so modifying the network replay would first require breaking that encryption, or embedding the replay data in to an existing stream in a way that is retransmitted by the PS4 over the encrypted channel.

Having spent a fair amount of time in the hacking/modding community, this doesn't sound like the kind of attack that anyone would bother to build. Modders/hackers generally want to gain an advantage that they can actively use. This is either someone who has modded their console, or someone experiencing a bug.