PDA

View Full Version : I'm actually starting to like this game...

PeteUplink
13-03-2016, 11:55
I've had PCars since it was released on Steam, but I didn't really get along with it. I found the AI to be too erratic and aggressive and I wasn't convinced that it was quite as realistic as the devs said it was (also the odd car flip bug was very annoying). I joined in the conversations on the AI discussion, giving my views on what I thought was wrong with the AI (particularly Formula A), got frustrated and quit... Just recently I re-installed the game and have been running some medium length GT races at various tracks. I've changed my driving style to allow for the fact that the AI will often pull in on you if you're inside them (so no banzai last minute dives up the inside) and I've lowered the AI level to 75-80% (depending on the track) and I'm actually getting some good races out of it. Okay, if I'm in clear air I'm way faster than the AI and if I get the lead I can pull away easy and cruise to a win. But if I'm in the pack and racing with the cars around me I can get some really good battles out of it. So all in all the game is much better than I originally thought it was.

I still wish Formula A was a bit less mad though. :p

Konan
13-03-2016, 12:06
Another one to join the club of satisfied customers....pretty soon we'll have the majority...lol
Seriously...the game in its entirety has improved massively since it came out...so i totally agree with you.

PeteUplink
13-03-2016, 12:17
Hi Konan. Yeah, the game has improved a lot. I also like the inclusion of the recent classic F1 cars and tracks like old Silverstone and Hockenheim.

Konan
13-03-2016, 12:20
Yep...and according to the rumours there is still some DLC to come...things can only get better... :cool:

hkraft300
13-03-2016, 13:55
After some AI races in LMP900, GT1 and Formula Rookie, I had to learn a few things that improved my experience with them greatly.
See when I'm racing I have the HUD on, glancing at the mirrors, watching the splits...
If I race with the HUD off I'm half blind and if I can't see the mirrors or you, I don't know you're there.
Think of them as driving with no HUD, they're not aware unless you make yourself "visible" to them.
They turn in on me if I dive up the inside. If I'm next to them and they can see me entering the corner and I have advantage, they'll concede.
Gotta try them in open wheels more.

BullWinkle
13-03-2016, 14:46
After some AI races in LMP900, GT1 and Formula Rookie, I had to learn a few things that improved my experience with them greatly.
See when I'm racing I have the HUD on, glancing at the mirrors, watching the splits...
If I race with the HUD off I'm half blind and if I can't see the mirrors or you, I don't know you're there.
Think of them as driving with no HUD, they're not aware unless you make yourself "visible" to them.
They turn in on me if I dive up the inside. If I'm next to them and they can see me entering the corner and I have advantage, they'll concede.
Gotta try them in open wheels more.

Have you tried CrewChief?
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?38922-Crew-Chief-an-alternative-race-engineer-for-console-amp-PC
Spotter really helps with awareness when AI or 'player' is near you.:)

edit..just realized your on PS4.

John Hargreaves
13-03-2016, 17:19
I've had PCars since it was released on Steam, but I didn't really get along with it. I found the AI to be too erratic and aggressive and I wasn't convinced that it was quite as realistic as the devs said it was (also the odd car flip bug was very annoying). I joined in the conversations on the AI discussion, giving my views on what I thought was wrong with the AI (particularly Formula A), got frustrated and quit... Just recently I re-installed the game and have been running some medium length GT races at various tracks. I've changed my driving style to allow for the fact that the AI will often pull in on you if you're inside them (so no banzai last minute dives up the inside) and I've lowered the AI level to 75-80% (depending on the track) and I'm actually getting some good races out of it. Okay, if I'm in clear air I'm way faster than the AI and if I get the lead I can pull away easy and cruise to a win. But if I'm in the pack and racing with the cars around me I can get some really good battles out of it. So all in all the game is much better than I originally thought it was.

I still wish Formula A was a bit less mad though. :p

Agree with you here, I think you've discovered the sweet spot to get the best out of the AI. They are still pretty fast at 75-80% if you are running near the back of the grid. As in real life you can't go so quickly when you are working your way through the pack, so the leaders get a fair bit down the road and take some catching. You have to plan your moves a few turns ahead and play your strengths against their weaknesses. The banzai late braking moves can work, but you have to be pretty much alongside and only brake after you see their brakes go on. That way they will tend to give you the corner. If you are too far back they will asume the corner is theirs and they're having it, then bang, you're out. If you allow them room, they are pretty good, and you can race side by side through a complex of corners.

I find their achilles heel is on corner exits though; if you can line up to get a slightly different line through the corner to get better exit speed you can often pass them much more safely on the way out of the turn. It's as if they are a little hesitant getting on the power for a split second and you can take advantage of that. It is only a split second though and you have to time it right.

You're right about once you get in front though, they seem to give up the chase a bit too easily, so once you've put a bit of distance between you and the guy you just passed, you rarely have to worry about them again. I really enjoy racing the AI, much more so than online as you can jump straight into a race without waiting for everyone else, and once you know them, I think they are as good or better drivers than most of the ones I've met online.

ports
13-03-2016, 17:21
Have you tried CrewChief?
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?38922-Crew-Chief-an-alternative-race-engineer-for-console-amp-PC
Spotter really helps with awareness when AI or 'player' is near you.:)

edit..just realized your on PS4.

Crew chief works on console both the android version and the windows version it's a great app i can't run the game without it :).

Fanapryde
13-03-2016, 17:59
I liked the game from the beginning. I started on PS4 and switched to PC after a few months, mainly because I wanted triple screens.
Maybe I was just lucky, but I suffered (almost) no bugs. I found PCars veryy immersive and enjoyed every minute I played.
Console and PC combined I have over 800hrs of racing.
It is not the only sim I have, but I still drive most of the time in PCars.

BullWinkle
13-03-2016, 18:03
Crew chief works on console both the android version and the windows version it's a great app i can't run the game without it :).

Your right.:o It had slipped my mind that it was now working for PS4/Android. Joys of pushing 60. ;), Can't run Project Cars without CrewChief now myself. Great app.:D

Konan
13-03-2016, 19:32
Agree with you here, I think you've discovered the sweet spot to get the best out of the AI. They are still pretty fast at 75-80% if you are running near the back of the grid. As in real life you can't go so quickly when you are working your way through the pack, so the leaders get a fair bit down the road and take some catching. You have to plan your moves a few turns ahead and play your strengths against their weaknesses. The banzai late braking moves can work, but you have to be pretty much alongside and only brake after you see their brakes go on. That way they will tend to give you the corner. If you are too far back they will asume the corner is theirs and they're having it, then bang, you're out. If you allow them room, they are pretty good, and you can race side by side through a complex of corners.

I find their achilles heel is on corner exits though; if you can line up to get a slightly different line through the corner to get better exit speed you can often pass them much more safely on the way out of the turn. It's as if they are a little hesitant getting on the power for a split second and you can take advantage of that. It is only a split second though and you have to time it right.

You're right about once you get in front though, they seem to give up the chase a bit too easily, so once you've put a bit of distance between you and the guy you just passed, you rarely have to worry about them again. I really enjoy racing the AI, much more so than online as you can jump straight into a race without waiting for everyone else, and once you know them, I think they are as good or better drivers than most of the ones I've met online.

I couldn't agree more...that is right on the money....

BreadedVirus
13-03-2016, 20:04
I've been enjoying the game since I bought it in September.

Konan
13-03-2016, 20:10
I've been enjoying the game since I bought it in September.

Couple of months ahead of you but the enjoyment stays the same :D
I liked it on release...like it a whole of a lot more now...amazing what SMS has done since release....almost a difference between day and night....

BreadedVirus
13-03-2016, 22:29
Couple of months ahead of you but the enjoyment stays the same :D
I liked it on release...like it a whole of a lot more now...amazing what SMS has done since release....almost a difference between day and night....

Couldn't agree more.

hkraft300
13-03-2016, 22:43
Haven't tried crew chief yet. I'm pretty good with awareness and giving people gaps. Thanks for the assist though!
I've seen YouTube videos of racers using spotters it annoys the hell out of me.I'd maybe use it for other reasons, like replace Engineer Ben.

Umer Ahmad
13-03-2016, 23:37
Cool thing about CrewChief is that you can customize the messages for your needs. I turn off some categories

hkraft300
14-03-2016, 00:39
I've got vrhive on my laptop ATM still sussing it out. I've heard nothing but good things about crew chief and the few other apps out :)
Jimmyb_84 will be adding to that list soon with his pit strategy app!

F1_Racer68
14-03-2016, 01:18
Add me to the list of those absolutely loving the game.

There are still some issues that I consider to be critical issues for running my league events, but we are figuring out ways to minimize them. I find the offline experience is almost perfect, but the online experience is still in need of much improvement.

Overall though, the team has made huge improvements since day 1, added a ton of free and low cost DLC content, and been very active, responsive and open in the forum. (this last part alone has made me a loyal and longtime customer/fan).

Add to that the support for community add-ons, and you have an almost perfect formula. Just need to fix the Multiplayer issues........