PDA

View Full Version : Has Project Cars Improved ?

Durand1981
15-03-2016, 07:44
I purchased project cars a long while back over all i was lucky to get a refund from microsoft on XB1, however i feel the need to explore other driving games again. Assetto is great as is RRRE, i did like project cars but for me their were just to many issue's i could not tolerate.

For EG the wet weather i would race normally and have none stop issue's with spinning, while AI just zipped round like it was still dry.

After a certain update (i forget which) been to long, Tyre temps became an issue. Where by they would be cold upon start up even after warm up laps / qualifying, i don't know if this was an isolated issue or one we all had to suffer with. But slides and spins off the start with a good launch were not uncommon.

Those are two issue's i can remember, anyhow as per topic title has this game really improved. or does it still suffer the same problems ?

Please be honest and none biased.

spacepadrille
15-03-2016, 07:51
The game is now great. Let's play ! The only annoying issues are deconnexions from the psn during the week-end playing online.

m355y
15-03-2016, 08:06
I don't think it's improved as much they they probably intended. Quite a few of the patches particularly a few months ago seemed to solve one problem and throw up two more. The tyre heating models etc have been played around with a lot and you feel that they've struggled to really find the right balance so some patches have made it worse, some have made it better. I think they're now on top of a lot of the issues but it has taken a bit of trial and error.

Obviously that's not ideal, but I appreciate the fact they've worked to get it right even when things weren't quite as straightforward as expected.

In terms of content there's now far more cars, a few new tracks (again not as many as originally intended) and I think if you'd never played PCars and were unaware of all the patches over the last year, you'd now be able to pick it up and think it was really good. Our judgement on that is a bit skewed as we've been there through the ups and downs, we've been up in arms about the content that hasn't materialised etc. If anything that gives you a more negative mindset than the person who picks the game up now on a whim in GAME and experiences it for the first time as it is now.

Yeah, it's improved. People compare it to Driveclub etc, but it was easy for Evolution Studios because the basic driving model is so much more basic and it was right from the get-go, so it's been about adding content and fixing the online issues there, probably all in all more straightforward fixes.

Like a lot of people I wish they'd concentrated fully on tuning PCars and adding to it for a bit longer before starting with the sequel, but they're a business after all.

Invincible
15-03-2016, 08:24
Obviously that's not ideal, but I appreciate the fact they've worked to get it right even when things weren't quite as straightforward as expected.

If I have learned one thing about game-development @WMD, it's that in most cases improvements are not as straightforward as one might think. You often have to work your way around an issue, which can cost a lot of time and resources.

icebear
15-03-2016, 08:36
many cars not fun / impossible to drive at the beginning are now big fun.
FFB and controls are now ok from scratch without hours of tweaking
If some big features are still not here, the game really deserve a new try for those who didn't liked it imho
i have 220 hours of play right now and wait for my rift to do twice that ;)

danowat
15-03-2016, 08:58
The short answer is yes.

But it still has plenty of issues.

RimanDk
15-03-2016, 09:15
Yes, the game has improved a lot since launch.
Yes, it still has issues, some blatant, some more subtle.

Tyre models have received several updates, reworking the camber, heating and wear dynamics considerably. All tyres are much better now than they were at launch, imo. 99% of the game is where the rubber meets the road, so in my optics the game has improved massively. That said, cold tyres are still cold tyres. It varies from car to car how difficult they are to handle on cold tyres. In some it will be a nightmare. In others it will be easy peasy. It comes down to driver skill. If you struggle, practice or put on some driving aids.
You still start every Practice round with cold tyres and have to warm them up.
You still start every Qualifying round with cold tyres and have to warm them up.
You start every race with warm tyres, regardless of the car class you play.

Rain coming in has a noticeable effect on the AI. Either they pit in to change tyres, if there is enough race time left to justify it, or they stay out, but go slower. If they pit, I pit and change to rain tyres and I'm still perfectly competitive. If they don't, I stay out as well and that's where it gets truly tricky, because then they are faster than me, despite having slowed down considerably. It's a gamble every time it happens and it's annoying as hell. One of the few flaws in the game that actually touches me (This is in career only, btw).

Diamond_Eyes
15-03-2016, 10:02
You still start every Qualifying round with cold tyres and have to warm them up.

....but start every race with cold brakes if I'm not mistaken?

RimanDk
15-03-2016, 10:08

Yup. Time trial too.

Durand1981
15-03-2016, 10:46

Thats my point you say EVERY RACE starts with warm tyres unfortunately mine didn't they were stone cold.

And everyone else seemed to launch fine which generally i also did but at such high speeds with that type of launch and corners fast approaching it was a mix of a slide plus breaking coasting trust me when i say i can drive (as stated my rig i play assetto corsa, race room racing experience) yadda yadda yadda.

But point was bug or not trying to drive like this was intolerable hence i got a refund (of which i was lucky for).
Don't get me wrong this was just one issue (that may well be fixed now).

But it was problems like this that were caused by a new patch, now i am not hating (but i really dont want to purchase this game if it still has those issue's) it would be pointless on account of the fact it was a major part of the reason i got a refund in first place.

DreamsKnight
15-03-2016, 10:52
Thats my point you say EVERY RACE starts with warm tyres unfortunately mine didn't they were stone cold.

And everyone else seemed to launch fine which generally i also did but at such high speeds with that type of launch and corners fast approaching it was a mix of a slide plus breaking coasting trust me when i say i can drive (as stated my rig i play assetto corsa, race room racing experience) yadda yadda yadda.

But point was bug or not trying to drive like this was intolerable hence i got a refund (of which i was lucky for).
Don't get me wrong this was just one issue (that may well be fixed now).

But it was problems like this that were caused by a new patch, now i am not hating (but i really dont want to purchase this game if it still has those issue's) it would be pointless on account of the fact it was a major part of the reason i got a refund in first place.

hot tyres, COLD BRAKES. but honestly it is normal to make mistakes during the first braking, cause you can not test that situation.

Konan
15-03-2016, 14:04
Yes, it still has issues, some blatant, some more subtle.

Tyre models have received several updates, reworking the camber, heating and wear dynamics considerably. All tyres are much better now than they were at launch, imo. 99% of the game is where the rubber meets the road, so in my optics the game has improved massively. That said, cold tyres are still cold tyres. It varies from car to car how difficult they are to handle on cold tyres. In some it will be a nightmare. In others it will be easy peasy. It comes down to driver skill. If you struggle, practice or put on some driving aids.

Rain coming in has a noticeable effect on the AI. Either they pit in to change tyres, if there is enough race time left to justify it, or they stay out, but go slower. If they pit, I pit and change to rain tyres and I'm still perfectly competitive. If they don't, I stay out as well and that's where it gets truly tricky, because then they are faster than me, despite having slowed down considerably. It's a gamble every time it happens and it's annoying as hell. One of the few flaws in the game that actually touches me (This is in career only, btw).

If i'm not mistaken,there are some classes that start on warm tyres when qualifying?
In career that is....

Bealdor
15-03-2016, 14:07
If i'm not mistaken,there are some classes that start on warm tyres when qualifying?
In career that is....

Also in QRW.

AbeWoz
15-03-2016, 14:15
...Like a lot of people I wish they'd concentrated fully on tuning PCars and adding to it for a bit longer before starting with the sequel, but they're a business after all.

You do realize that this is how the gaming industry works right? SMS just happened to announce pCARS2 fairly early. I guarantee you that Turn10 was working on Forza 7 before FM6 was even released...but i digress
The game is loads better now than it was when it was originally released, especially the XB1 version. I no longer have the sound stuttering issue for example. But like all games, no matter what genre, developer, etc. there are still small bugs/quirks. No game is ever 100% finished/perfect.

tire starting temps depend on the series you are racing, as some series allow tire warmers and some do not.

hkraft300
15-03-2016, 15:43

Not in MP. Every race I've started (MP/QRW/Career) with warm brakes and tyres. TT I start with cold brakes but warm tyres.

In career that is....

Also in QRW.

Also in MP: GT3, FA, LMP1/2 have tyre warmers so they get warm tyres in every session.

Edit: ye I think the game has improved a lot since launch. Bit of a kerfuffle with the heating around patch 6/7. Patch 3 brought big additions in features and so have other patches. Couple of things broke but got fixed almost immediately. The DLC are awesome. Hardly a landmine nowadays. Big improvements to the AI from what I can tell. 3rd party apps add another level to get my geek on.
#fanboi ;)

Konan
15-03-2016, 16:14
Not in MP. Every race I've started (MP/QRW/Career) with warm brakes and tyres. TT I start with cold brakes but warm tyres.

Also in MP: GT3, FA, LMP1/2 have tyre warmers so they get warm tyres in every session.

Edit: ye I think the game has improved a lot since launch. Bit of a kerfuffle with the heating around patch 6/7. Patch 3 brought big additions in features and so have other patches. Couple of things broke but got fixed almost immediately. The DLC are awesome. Hardly a landmine nowadays. Big improvements to the AI from what I can tell. 3rd party apps add another level to get my geek on.
#fanboi ;)

Never a truer word said....:cool:

15-03-2016, 18:48
Yes this game has improved. There's still many issues with the game, some big some minor. At best this game should be in open beta.

DreamsKnight
15-03-2016, 22:24
Yes this game has improved. There's still many issues with the game, some big some minor. At best this game should be in open beta.

i dont have iusses. so who is right?

Krus Control
16-03-2016, 00:28
I think the heat model changes in patch 8 and 9 have improved drivability and feel in every class. I used to not enjoy a lot of the race cars because they felt a bit strange. The DTM car used to feel a lot different for instance. But now pretty much every car feels amazing. I would say the gameplay has improved massively and probably will continue further until patches stop coming.

16-03-2016, 02:39
i dont have iusses. so who is right?

You don't have issues because you chose to not see the issues :) A good example atm. is the steering ratio problem which happen after a recent patch, there's a thread about it. Not forgetting to mention I can't even chat in the online lobby, I have to drive out of the pits, park at the side of the track just to chat. It used to work until a patch broke it and never fixed again. Need more? I can go on.

poirqc
16-03-2016, 02:57
You don't have issues because you chose to not see the issues :) A good example atm. is the steering ratio problem which happen after a recent patch, there's a thread about it. Not forgetting to mention I can't even chat in the online lobby, I have to drive out of the pits, park at the side of the track just to chat. It used to work until a patch broke it and never fixed again. Need more? I can go on.

I got to agree.

This one is somewhat annoying. It's not a game breaker, like wheel disconnection or white FFB(i almost never get it now :) ). But i random lobby, mostly. It's the only way i talk to people.

Konan
16-03-2016, 06:34

Some people really don't have issues....
I play with a pad and i don't play online....therefore-> no issues....
I understand there ARE issues but there's a difference between not having them and them not existing.
He said he didn't HAVE issues....neither do i....he never said they don't excist...neither do I...

The "who is right" was a bit too much though....since it's proven the issues are present and reported...

DreamsKnight
16-03-2016, 12:25

yes mate, go on. :)
usually i read posts of guys with strange problems that for 99% came from their rig/pc/setup etc. and about the chat i was sure it was game (wrong) design.
what i'm trying to say that a lot of people try to sell the idea of Pcars unplayable for totally insurmountable problems, but i disagree. like the message above about refund.

DreamsKnight
16-03-2016, 12:26
Some people really don't have issues....
I play with a pad and i don't play online....therefore-> no issues....
I understand there ARE issues but there's a difference between not having them and them not existing.
He said he didn't HAVE issues....neither do i....he never said they don't excist...neither do I...

The "who is right" was a bit too much though....since it's proven the issues are present and reported...

it's time to buy a wheel.

Konan
16-03-2016, 13:23
it's time to buy a wheel.

I had one...sold it because too much hassle to set it up every time i played...i also play on the living room TV so can only play when the wife's not watching.
So,i couldn't be bothered anymore...

DreamsKnight
16-03-2016, 14:56
I had one...sold it because too much hassle to set it up every time i played...i also play on the living room TV so can only play when the wife's not watching.
So,i couldn't be bothered anymore...

you are a noob. my girl left me, i buy a wheel and my living room now is my rig. :D

Konan
16-03-2016, 15:13
you are a noob. my girl left me, i buy a wheel and my living room now is my rig. :D

If I have to choose between a couple of hours of fun on my Ps4 and my wife i've been with for 21 years....the choice is easily made.....
I've (finally) come to an age that i've got my priorities straight....I'm proud to say.....:rolleyes:

Plato99
16-03-2016, 15:15
If I have to choose between a couple of hours of fun on my Ps4 and my wife i've been with for 21 years....the choice is easily made.....
I've (finally) come to an age that i've got my priorities straight....I'm proud to say.....:rolleyes:

She must hate that PS4...... :D

Konan
16-03-2016, 15:18
She must hate that PS4...... :D

Not really....she loves her TV.....;)

Invincible
16-03-2016, 15:21
Not really....she loves her TV.....;)

Then get another TV. :p

Konan
16-03-2016, 15:44
Then get another TV. :p

If it would be that easy....i've got four...all occupied....:rolleyes:

Living room TV....known issue
Son 19... Has PS3
Son 18... Has PS3
Daughter 11.... Has GameCube...
Nowhere else to play. :(

Roger Prynne
16-03-2016, 16:52
^^^ Garage? :highly_amused:

Konan
16-03-2016, 16:54
^^^ Garage? :highly_amused:

My wife won't allow it...she sends me there for punishment....lol

Shinzah
16-03-2016, 16:58
My wife won't allow it...she sends me there for punishment....lol

Who would send a man to the garage for punishment?

"GO TO THE GARAGE AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE DONE....while working on the car."

HEAVEN! Does your wife have a sister who is into Canadians?

DreamsKnight
16-03-2016, 16:59
If it would be that easy....i've got four...all occupied....:rolleyes:

Living room TV....known issue
Son 19... Has PS3
Son 18... Has PS3
Daughter 11.... Has GameCube...
Nowhere else to play. :(

I know english words for this situation, but i can't write them.
I am also risking a ban since this is the fourth topic that I transform into OT. :O

Konan
16-03-2016, 17:06
Who would send a man to the garage for punishment?

"GO TO THE GARAGE AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE DONE....while working on the car."

HEAVEN! Does your wife have a sister who is into Canadians?

I just recently moved and all the stuff in need of sorting is in there...so it actually is punishment....:cool:
She has four sisters but older and not as attractive so,i don't think you would be interested...lol

Konan
16-03-2016, 17:09
I know english words for this situation, but i can't write them.
I am also risking a ban since this is the fourth topic that I transform into OT. :O

P*ssy,b*tch,pushover? :o
All relative...i get my playtime...on Ps4 and with her :rolleyes: can't see anything wrong with that....:cool:

Shinzah
16-03-2016, 17:13
I just recently moved and all the stuff in need of sorting is in there...so it actually is punishment....:cool:
She has four sisters but older and not as attractive so,i don't think you would be interested...lol

Younger more effeminate brother? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Konan
16-03-2016, 17:15
Younger more effeminate brother? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Four brothers too but she's the youngest of the nine...bad luck mate...:cool:

Shinzah
16-03-2016, 17:19
Dammit Konan! Get in the garage! ヽ(σᨎσ)ノ

Konan
16-03-2016, 17:22
Dammit Konan! Get in the garage! ヽ(σᨎσ)ノ

Heck no! Tonight it's playtime :D

Shinzah
16-03-2016, 17:40
Heck no! Tonight it's playtime :D

Not for Shin (ಠ益ಠ)

Konan
16-03-2016, 17:53
Not for Shin (ಠ益ಠ)

Courage mom ami :o

Shinzah
16-03-2016, 18:00
Courage mom ami :o

I'd have more courage if someones mom was with ami. >:|

balderz002
16-03-2016, 18:03
I'd rather have more Courage(s) to pick in game!!

Oh yeah, I went all request thread....

hkraft300
17-03-2016, 00:12
I'd have more courage if someones mom was with ami. >:|

Flirts with Konan. Makes this ^comment.
Not your playtime? lol
I have a mental image of Quagmire from Family Guy.

I'd rather have more Courage(s) to pick in game!!

Oh yeah, I went all request thread....

Too smooth

17-03-2016, 08:33
yes mate, go on. :)
usually i read posts of guys with strange problems that for 99% came from their rig/pc/setup etc. and about the chat i was sure it was game (wrong) design.
what i'm trying to say that a lot of people try to sell the idea of Pcars unplayable for totally insurmountable problems, but i disagree. like the message above about refund.

99% rig/pc/setup? Care to explain why out of all games I played only 1 game have this issues?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fboR4jw3Qw8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEh0-JlduqE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr-TAKaYsww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbCRoxDsnK4

DreamsKnight
17-03-2016, 09:13
99% rig/pc/setup? Care to explain why out of all games I played only 1 game have this issues?

each game has the game full of guys who say "full of bug !!11!!!! learn how to do games!!11!!!"

in each case o you play 15h each day, or you are unlucky, or you have problem in the rig.

looking at the problems, mainly the freeze, I would do just a couple memtest to be sure http://www.memtest86.com/

17-03-2016, 10:21
each game has the game full of guys who say "full of bug !!11!!!! learn how to do games!!11!!!"

in each case o you play 15h each day, or you are unlucky, or you have problem in the rig.

looking at the problems, mainly the freeze, I would do just a couple memtest to be sure http://www.memtest86.com/

1 game out of 10 freezes = must be your rig, recommends memtest. Come on man it's not only me who had the freeze. You're starting to sound silly. A quick search of the forum shows 32 threads with some sort of freeze. I guess they're all in your 1% of bad luck people.

DreamsKnight
17-03-2016, 10:44
1 game out of 10 freezes = must be your rig, recommends memtest. Come on man it's not only me who had the freeze. You're starting to sound silly. A quick search of the forum shows 32 threads with some sort of freeze. I guess they're all in your 1% of bad luck people.

you have all the problems together, this is strange.
you don't write your configuration in sign.
i play about 4 hours each day and never seen one of the above.
i wrote 3 different things to try to undestand your problems, not only "your rig". read my words.

and no, it is not strange that 10 things works and one not in a computer.

Cholton82
17-03-2016, 10:54
Speaking as a console peasant this games improved for sure , as much as they would of liked who knows !
The content that's been added has been good and bloody good value and as a PS4 user what else do we have racing game wise ? I can put up with the odd issue as the good times far out way the bad , IMO the best racing sim with an authentic Motorsport weekend to come out on consoles bar none .
My two outstanding wishes would be Ai that can and do fully spin out with 180 or even 360 degree rotation which in turn would help my second wish which is more yellow flags and caution zones which I believe would add to the overall atmosphere and drama .
I believe a physics limitation is why the spin outs don't occur ? Maybe someone with more knowledge could elaborate and hopefully project cars two can implement it .

Konan
17-03-2016, 11:11
Speaking as a console peasant this games improved for sure , as much as they would of liked who knows !
The content that's been added has been good and bloody good value and as a PS4 user what else do we have racing game wise ? I can put up with the odd issue as the good times far out way the bad , IMO the best racing sim with an authentic Motorsport weekend to come out on consoles bar none .
My two outstanding wishes would be Ai that can and do fully spin out with 180 or even 360 degree rotation which in turn would help my second wish which is more yellow flags and caution zones which I believe would add to the overall atmosphere and drama .
I believe a physics limitation is why the spin outs don't occur ? Maybe someone with more knowledge could elaborate and hopefully project cars two can implement it .

I agree...I think I started about three threads about improving the flag system....one unofficial answer was that the flag system is being improved with patches rolling out...never had an official confirmation about this but i must say that i do see them more often lately....usually when i'm sitting stationary on the track though....
I would like some cautions happening while i'm driving but that would mean the AI have to make more mistakes and they're right on the edge already...
if SMS would tweak them even more i think the game would become unplayable with all the accidents happening....besides,with every change in the game,there is a chance other bugs or game crashes could be introduced.
As you say,maybe something for Pcars2?
Mind you i am only talking about career here...not MP

cluck
17-03-2016, 12:01
1 game out of 10 freezes = must be your rig, recommends memtest. Come on man it's not only me who had the freeze. You're starting to sound silly. A quick search of the forum shows 32 threads with some sort of freeze. I guess they're all in your 1% of bad luck people.I've not had Project CARS freeze in so long that I can't even remember if and when it last happened. I play free practice, time trial and multiplayer. I've had other minor problems from time to time (mostly MP related) but nothing that was so jarring that I wanted to stop playing the game.

There was a problem a long while back, during the WMD days before the game even released, where I would see random, very short pauses, where the graphics stopped but the game kept running. These pauses would last for 0.5 to 1 or 2 seconds at most. Never found out what was causing them but there were only a dozen or so of us that experienced it and it got fixed at some point anyway.

As a sidenote, it's not really polite to call somebody silly for trying to help you :). It certainly makes me less inclined to help you, for fear of being called "silly". But if it helps any, there have been numerous reports - both before and after release - of people struggling with Project CARS freezing and/or crashing on their system where no other game caused problems. Almost all of them turned out to be a hardware 'fault' in some manner.

DreamsKnight
17-03-2016, 12:13
As a sidenote, it's not really polite to call somebody silly for trying to help you :).

just to point out, I'm not trying to provoke Default and i'm not a blind fanboy. and i hope my word don't seems in this way. and i don't read silly in a negative way.

i'm just trying to explain: 1 is not a reference to explain the quality of a product, if we look at the total number of copies selled. not him with dozen of problems, not me without problems. we are the 0,0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 %

Chiraq
17-03-2016, 12:55
The biggest issue, the cars sticking together when making contact, is still present otherwise the game is okay imo

17-03-2016, 15:06
I'll just show an example of 1 online race I played few days ago.

Part of the car sound not present online - Might be my hardware because not everyone face it. No problem in time trial though.
Steering ratio problem - Might be my hardware, have been fixing by alt tabbing ever since I got the game.
Freezes during qualy - Well known issue & we know will not be fixed in PCars1. (Not my hardware problem)
Randomly kicked - A friend wanted to change cars, he quit, changed, rejoin and got insta kicked. I asked the host why(must drive out of pit to chat), he said he did not kick anyone. (Both problems cannot be caused by my hardware)
People joining when < 3 mins to go - People often join and say "GO"/"What we waiting for?" not knowing you cannot join if the lobby has < 3 minutes left. So they just sit in the lobby with the timer at 0. Often cause unnecessary arguments. (Not my hardware problem)
Race loaded - A car spawned upside down on another car somewhere at the back of the grid. The guy got mad because he had a drive through penalty. In chat there were some people who said "Game crash?"/ "Wtf spawned in pits". (Impossible my hardware caused it)
Invisible 'something' on grid - Saw the leader hitting something on the grid (probably invisible car of someone who dced). As he was the first car into lap 2 he was the victim. His car & race wrecked, typed something like "what ******** ***** game" and left. This issue is rare though. (Don't tell me my hardware spawned the invisible car)
During race - The usual cars sticking on contact(We know will not be fixed in PCars1). Getting rammed off the track & got a penalty for it(Also won't be fixed in PCars1). (Both are known issues and not my hardware problem)

Obviously not all the problems happen in every game, usually just a few combination of them. This is a rare case where it all happen in the same race. But the point is it happened.
I got the game months after it was released. I'm sure it improved since launch what I'm saying is since I got the game the issues I have faced is still present. The freeze issue is just an example, last time I faced it was couple months ago.
As you can see most of the issues are not related to my hardware. I only play time trial and online. If someone only plays offline then they won't be facing these issues & probably not even aware they exist.

Sidenote - I got AC + 3 dreampacks during a recent sale. 60 hours played and not a single issue faced. Only played hotlap + online. I'm not comparing the game to PCars & I'm not saying it's better, it has its own flaws. What I'm comparing is the number of issues faced in 2 different games of the same genre.

I also would like to apologize to DreamsKnight. Sorry!

beetes_juice
17-03-2016, 16:05
I'll just show an example of an pcars session/online race I did a few days ago:

Start pcars
Few TT in the Corvette
End TT
Start lobby
Practice/Quali
10 Lap Race
End Race
Bask in my TT glory on the leaderboards

Close pcars

Have a 100's of nights like the above example. Not saying the game doesn't have its issues but the number of issues/bugs is minuscule compared to the numbered the positives I've had with this game. Honestly can't remember the last major crash or bug I faced...sound bug on xb1 but that was an issue with my home network + roommates.

Side Note: I got AC + 1 of the packs. 3 Hrs played. While I did not face issues/bugs the game just felt lifeless and empty so I put it down. I'll take the bug riddled pcars. :o

Side Note 2: About half your issues are related to the network/online aspect of the game. And your sig says your a twitch streamer...ever give it a go without streaming?

RimanDk
17-03-2016, 17:11
I agree...I think I started about three threads about improving the flag system....one unofficial answer was that the flag system is being improved with patches rolling out...never had an official confirmation about this but i must say that i do see them more often lately....usually when i'm sitting stationary on the track though....
I would like some cautions happening while i'm driving but that would mean the AI have to make more mistakes and they're right on the edge already...
if SMS would tweak them even more i think the game would become unplayable with all the accidents happening....besides,with every change in the game,there is a chance other bugs or game crashes could be introduced.
As you say,maybe something for Pcars2?
Mind you i am only talking about career here...not MP

Yes, the flag implementation in pCars leaves a lot to be desired, unfortunately. It is one aspect I really wish to see improved in pCars 2. I don't actually race much, but when I do, I miss a more robust implementation. Talking primarily from a career perspective, you can entirely ignore blue flags, if you even get them - I do, on outlaps when tyres are cold, in cars that are particularly sensitive to this - with no penalty. Yellow flags are never full course, but only local cautions and I have never been in a situation, where they actually mattered - there have never been crashes with parts or cars impeding the racing line. I have never seen a black flag.

There was a problem a long while back, during the WMD days before the game even released, where I would see random, very short pauses, where the graphics stopped but the game kept running. These pauses would last for 0.5 to 1 or 2 seconds at most. Never found out what was causing them but there were only a dozen or so of us that experienced it and it got fixed at some point anyway.

I actually still get this one all the time. Wasn't it related to first time sound asset loading?

17-03-2016, 17:16
Side Note 2: About half your issues are related to the network/online aspect of the game. And your sig says your a twitch streamer...ever give it a go without streaming?

Like I said it does not happen in every race I play. I also have 100s of races where it all goes well.
This thread talks about "Improvement" and as far as that is concerned in my opinion the improvement is minuscule at best since I got the game.
I clocked 560 hours so far and I was trying to think of any improvement I felt since I got the game until now and there were none I could think of.

Agree about AC and it feeling lifeless, the multiplayer format is just so different.

About my network and streaming. I stream only about 10% of my races so I don't think that is the problem.
I don't think my network will cause any of those problems I stated. I mean if I have a 'bad' network, will it make the host randomly kick people?/spawn cars upside down/cause invisible walls?/cause people to spawn in pits? obviously no.
All those are well known issues, rare to some, but still can happen.

Shinzah
17-03-2016, 17:28
Yes, the flag implementation in pCars leaves a lot to be desired, unfortunately. It is one aspect I really wish to see improved in pCars 2. I don't actually race much, but when I do, I miss a more robust implementation. Talking primarily from a career perspective, you can entirely ignore blue flags, if you even get them - I do, on outlaps when tyres are cold, in cars that are particularly sensitive to this - with no penalty. Yellow flags are never full course, but only local cautions and I have never been in a situation, where they actually mattered - there have never been crashes with parts or cars impeding the racing line. I have never seen a black flag.

I'm pretty sure I've been spanked for ignoring blue flags before. It's not a perfect flag system, but it is fairly functional. I've also seen quite a few crashes with parts on course, but thankfully they get cleaned up quickly now where in the past a five tonne wheel could be hanging out in the racing line. O-o

Konan
17-03-2016, 17:36
I'm pretty sure I've been spanked for ignoring blue flags before. It's not a perfect flag system, but it is fairly functional. I've also seen quite a few crashes with parts on course, but thankfully they get cleaned up quickly now where in the past a five tonne wheel could be hanging out in the racing line. O-o

I know they can't please everyone but i kinda liked it that way....there was one circuit (Brno i think) where the AI always knocked over the tyre walls...I found it very exciting to have to manoeuvre around them....maybe a better solution would have been to leave them there for a lap or two?
But even then,with these tyres on the racing line,i didn't see any yellow flags....

Loki C346
17-03-2016, 18:05
If I could only get the brake markers replaced after each Practice & Qualifying in an online lobby I would be sooooo happy.

DreamsKnight
17-03-2016, 18:06
I'll just show an example of 1 online race I played few days ago.

Part of the car sound not present online - Might be my hardware because not everyone face it. No problem in time trial though.
Steering ratio problem - Might be my hardware, have been fixing by alt tabbing ever since I got the game.
Freezes during qualy - Well known issue & we know will not be fixed in PCars1. (Not my hardware problem)
Randomly kicked - A friend wanted to change cars, he quit, changed, rejoin and got insta kicked. I asked the host why(must drive out of pit to chat), he said he did not kick anyone. (Both problems cannot be caused by my hardware)
People joining when < 3 mins to go - People often join and say "GO"/"What we waiting for?" not knowing you cannot join if the lobby has < 3 minutes left. So they just sit in the lobby with the timer at 0. Often cause unnecessary arguments. (Not my hardware problem)
Race loaded - A car spawned upside down on another car somewhere at the back of the grid. The guy got mad because he had a drive through penalty. In chat there were some people who said "Game crash?"/ "Wtf spawned in pits". (Impossible my hardware caused it)
Invisible 'something' on grid - Saw the leader hitting something on the grid (probably invisible car of someone who dced). As he was the first car into lap 2 he was the victim. His car & race wrecked, typed something like "what ******** ***** game" and left. This issue is rare though. (Don't tell me my hardware spawned the invisible car)
During race - The usual cars sticking on contact(We know will not be fixed in PCars1). Getting rammed off the track & got a penalty for it(Also won't be fixed in PCars1). (Both are known issues and not my hardware problem)

Obviously not all the problems happen in every game, usually just a few combination of them. This is a rare case where it all happen in the same race. But the point is it happened.
I got the game months after it was released. I'm sure it improved since launch what I'm saying is since I got the game the issues I have faced is still present. The freeze issue is just an example, last time I faced it was couple months ago.
As you can see most of the issues are not related to my hardware. I only play time trial and online. If someone only plays offline then they won't be facing these issues & probably not even aware they exist.

Sidenote - I got AC + 3 dreampacks during a recent sale. 60 hours played and not a single issue faced. Only played hotlap + online. I'm not comparing the game to PCars & I'm not saying it's better, it has its own flaws. What I'm comparing is the number of issues faced in 2 different games of the same genre.

I also would like to apologize to DreamsKnight. Sorry!

at freezes during qualy, i hit exit and join another race. who cares? :D

happen also to me a similar race. (spa/gt3, there was a warm up?) after a couple of good lap/fight with a guy i bump him cause he was flying on the track or similar. we chat and this is the quote "don't worry, this server is f****d up" i made a laugh and joined a different race.

so, i say, i don't have iusse. you say yes. if you do 500 races and only one has this problem it is the 0,2%. this is not iusse, this is "somenthing strange happen"

probably i have a more positive thinking. :D

there are also some well known problems, but no one of this, IMHO, make the game unplayable. :)

18-03-2016, 03:41
If I could only get the brake markers replaced after each Practice & Qualifying in an online lobby I would be sooooo happy.

That can actually be used as an advantage in a race situation to throw your opponent off :)

18-03-2016, 03:42
at freezes during qualy, i hit exit and join another race. who cares? :D

happen also to me a similar race. (spa/gt3, there was a warm up?) after a couple of good lap/fight with a guy i bump him cause he was flying on the track or similar. we chat and this is the quote "don't worry, this server is f****d up" i made a laugh and joined a different race.

so, i say, i don't have iusse. you say yes. if you do 500 races and only one has this problem it is the 0,2%. this is not iusse, this is "somenthing strange happen"

probably i have a more positive thinking. :D

there are also some well known problems, but no one of this, IMHO, make the game unplayable. :)

So what I said in page 2 was right, you don't have problems because you chose to not see the problems.

Btw about the freezes in qualy, it happens because people join/leave the session. Exiting and joining another race has no effect on it, happens in every online lobby.

I wouldn't say 1 in 500 races have issues, more like 1 in 5 or 1 in 10. When it happens that often sorry but "something strange happened" just does not justify it anymore.

Positive thinking does not cover the fact that there are issues present.

Nowhere did I mention the game is unplayable.

After some thinking I finally figured out an 'improvement' I felt since I bought the game. I could chat in an online lobby when I got the game but not anymore.
We're in 2016 and can't even have a proper chat in game, think about that.

Shinzah
18-03-2016, 04:03
While I'm sure what you're saying is probably valid,

I just can't take "Its (year) and (excuse)" seriously for anything anymore.

It's 2016 and we don't have flying cars yet. Think about that.

18-03-2016, 06:36
While I'm sure what you're saying is probably valid,

I just can't take "Its (year) and (excuse)" seriously for anything anymore.

It's 2016 and we don't have flying cars yet. Think about that.

Flying cars do exist. It is just not a feasible way of transportation at this moment.
Chatting in an online game however has been present in most if not all online games for decades.

DreamsKnight
18-03-2016, 19:12
So what I said in page 2 was right, you don't have problems because you chose to not see the problems.

Btw about the freezes in qualy, it happens because people join/leave the session. Exiting and joining another race has no effect on it, happens in every online lobby.

I wouldn't say 1 in 500 races have issues, more like 1 in 5 or 1 in 10. When it happens that often sorry but "something strange happened" just does not justify it anymore.

Positive thinking does not cover the fact that there are issues present.

Nowhere did I mention the game is unplayable.

After some thinking I finally figured out an 'improvement' I felt since I bought the game. I could chat in an online lobby when I got the game but not anymore.
We're in 2016 and can't even have a proper chat in game, think about that.

if in about 250h of game, at the moment 70% solo and 30% on line, i saw only two time something strange, i don't call that problem, iusse or bug. and i'm sure that if you start to take note of every race and time played with or without problems, you don't have problems 20%(1in5) of the time you play with Pcars. 1in5 is a unplayable game!!

after this: the chat, the lack of multiple setups, the lack of option menů in the box/track (for graphic and FFB test), the impossibility to sort in column on line lobbies, make me MAD. hate this. these are not bugs. these are game (wrong) features but not related to the CORE of the gaming, which is RACING. i can race properly, without problems.

beside this, my humanity allows me to understand some of these issues. we speak of lack of financial and human resources. we're not talking about EA or Ubisoft that every year must milk the cows with games made quickly, getting worse, so full of bugs to be unplayable. :) i hope for Pcars2

i have to say that probably my english is too bad to explain in the proper way my point of view.

ps: how to chat in the lobby? i see some guys do this, io don't know how. my chat key don't work there. :D

19-03-2016, 03:55
if in about 250h of game, at the moment 70% solo and 30% on line, i saw only two time something strange, i don't call that problem, iusse or bug. and i'm sure that if you start to take note of every race and time played with or without problems, you don't have problems 20%(1in5) of the time you play with Pcars. 1in5 is a unplayable game!!

after this: the chat, the lack of multiple setups, the lack of option menů in the box/track (for graphic and FFB test), the impossibility to sort in column on line lobbies, make me MAD. hate this. these are not bugs. these are game (wrong) features but not related to the CORE of the gaming, which is RACING. i can race properly, without problems.

beside this, my humanity allows me to understand some of these issues. we speak of lack of financial and human resources. we're not talking about EA or Ubisoft that every year must milk the cows with games made quickly, getting worse, so full of bugs to be unplayable. :) i hope for Pcars2

i have to say that probably my english is too bad to explain in the proper way my point of view.

ps: how to chat in the lobby? i see some guys do this, io don't know how. my chat key don't work there. :D

You're right I shouldn't focus so much on the bad races, but unfortunately those races are the ones stuck in my mind more than the good races. Again I did NOT say the game is unplayable.

All those features you stated, you're right they're not bugs. What they are are the lack of research before starting to make a game.
Games 10 years or older already have this features, and SMS is not a new company making racing games for the first time either.

With PCars2 announced just a month after PCars1 release, obviously most of the resources will go into PCars2. Where does that leave PCars1?
I got the game 5 months after it was released, you would think in that time most of the bugs would be fixed, wrong!

I'm have experience in programming having studied it in Uni. I made my own 3D game from scratch in one of my projects so I understand the process of programming a game and it is not easy.
Fixing bugs in a game is a never ending process but with the right programming method eventually most of the major bugs can be singled out and fixed.
When you see PCars and the major bugs that are present, some of them the Devs already stated will not be fixed.
What I think happen is that they figured out early on that fixing all the major bugs would take up so much of resources that they may as well make a new game with it.
Again I never programmed anything in the scale of PCars before so my opinion may very well be wrong. This is purely my opinion only based on a small scale game I made.

I also can race without problems most of the time. But to say without problems I disagree.
When you experience these things maybe you will change your opinion. These does NOT happen every race, just SOMETIMES. But the point is they CAN happen anytime.

Qualy in heavy rain, pushed the car to my limit, qualified 4th, not great but I accept it. Race loaded, car spawn on top of mine and hit me = drive through penalty before the race even start.
No amount of positive thinking can remedy this, I was gutted. Now everytime after qualy I pray that no car will spawn on me, it's always on my mind. "Will I survive the race loading this time?"

I raced fairly, yeah my move on the last corner was late but I did not intentionally hit him I held my line. Yet he can make such a move and get away with it, taking advantage of the penalty system.
This game awards the aggressor, trying to race fairly can often make you lose out, ramming someone is often better. Now everytime I overtake I think "Will he allow me to pass him? or will he give me an unfair penalty?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wio9acMWzR0

We talk improvements, as far as I'm aware these problems already existed since launch so where are the improvements in this regard?
Another thing that annoys me is that you start with the gear on the previous session. So if you finish qualy session in 5th gear, on the grid your car shows 5th gear even though you are ACTUALLY in Neutral.
This thing is so minor but it still exist now, where is the improvement? A new player would be wondering "why am I in 5th gear at the start when I didn't touch anything yet?"

*Your English is understandable don't worry too much about it :)
*To chat. If you're in lobby before joining just type at the bar on the bottom. After joining you cannot chat in lobby, you can only read, to chat you need to drive out of pits.
*Picture a bunch of friends sitting in the pitlane but cannot talk to each other. If you want to talk to that person he has to drive out of the pits then you 2 can talk on the radio.
*If all of you want to talk to each other all of you must drive out of pits then together all talk on the radio. Weird but welcome to PCars chatting system.

Sankyo
19-03-2016, 09:49
What I think happen is that they figured out early on that fixing all the major bugs would take up so much of resources that they may as well make a new game with it.

Well making a sequal was always in the plan, so starting pCARS2 development was certainly not driven by the amount of bugs in pCARS1 :)

When talking about features that are not optimal but do work, then those things were deliberately kept like that because there was no time anymore to make everyhting how SMS wanted it to be.

When talking about bugs found after release, for each bug SMS had to decide whether it was a game-killing bug (must-fix), an easy no-risk fix, or something that was inconvenient but bearable. Fixing bugs in a released game always has a risk of breaking it, and that risk has to be minimized. On top of that, there's the fact that pCARS2 has to be developed and that fixing bugs costs money and resources but doesn't really bring in money.

Motorhead Racer
19-03-2016, 10:22
Really isn't something you can just 'say'

I mean it all depends on peoples circumstances, I mean at the start some people were just getting CTDs, that's now fixed so to them they game has improved, it all depends on the individuals play experience of the game...
But generally speaking I would say the answer is yes, the game has improved (what's the point in releasing patches if it hasnt?)

20-03-2016, 16:53
Sunday night, weekend full of motor racing, Nascar, 12h Mugello, Moto GP, F1. Waiting for Moto GP I thought it would be nice to do some racing myself, so I loaded Project Cars & streamed it.

Race 1 start. Car in 5th place was lagging, somehow got rocket launch, gave 1st & 3rd place a helping boost.
Not a new bug, had a rival last time who somehow always manage to get this rocket boost every race without jumping the start.
Got hit a few times in the past to give me this 2 sec advantage in the first few seconds of the race, thx buddy. It's not wrong if the game allows it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kscIyOFbc_A

Race 2. Car spawn on someone at the back. Pity the person who got hit, probably got an innocent drive through penalty :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoYV5SPpxK0

Race 3. Car spawn on someone again, it teleported back but the damage has been done. Car 2 & 6 suffered game crash, 6th dc after race start, 2nd didn't move & dc after T1.
Look what 4th person typed, though from my view couldn't see anything strange but had it happened to me before : http://imgur.com/NEpmqG6
The cursing person is probably the victim of the car landing on him & giving an innocent drive through penalty :(
1st place had a jump start, if you look closely my car moved before him and I was fine. Needless to say he got pretty mad with the drive through penalty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28MEu-PNucU

I stopped after this because Moto GP started. So how often does "something strange" happen? 1/500? 1/10? 1/5? Nope, but 3/3, which is 100% tonight all in an hour and half session.
Don't come telling me my hardware and network cause other people to have problems.
Well I do hope these gets sorted in Project Cars 2.

maxx69
20-03-2016, 17:23
I don't need to write an essay...it's easy , I play PCars every night and organise regular events .
Yeah we get the odd dissconect , invisible block in the road and grinding bugs ....but on the whole the game works and I've had hours of fault free racing .