PDA

View Full Version : Gearshifts are faster for certain gearboxes with Automatic Clutch turned off.

Mr_M1st3r_
20-03-2016, 10:33
Hey guys.

I was screwing around with some settings and noticed that the gearshifts are faster for DSG gearboxes when the automatic clutch option is turned off. I've only compared settings with the Mclaren P1 and Atom V8, but I'd assume its the same for all cars that have DSG or sequential boxes. It seems that the Auto Clutch option just uses the clutch for every gear change, even if the gearbox doesn't need it. I'm on PS4, Pcars 9.0.

Anybody else notice this?

Quick vids of the P1 - TCS(ON) to make things consistent:

Automatic Clutch ON - https://youtu.be/tR20S78Kj7Q

Automatic Clutch OFF - https://youtu.be/DNToyJmcZPc

EDIT: Spelling.

Azure Flare
20-03-2016, 10:37
It's been like that since launch.

Mr_M1st3r_
20-03-2016, 10:38
Okay then. Looks like I'll be leaving it off. Thanks!

cluck
20-03-2016, 11:35
Autoclutch is designed for people who want to drive a manual shift car, manually shifting, but don't have a clutch pedal. It can also be used if you don't fancy using the clutch in an hour-long race. You should really turn it off if you're going to drive a paddle or sequential-shift gearbox :).

Identadoor
20-03-2016, 12:30
Is there a way I can use a gated shifter for any car? I used to be able to prior to patch 7. Now I can only enjoy about 1/3 of the cars that don't have sequential gearboxs and limited to what classes I can race online. If anyone knows a setting that would allow me to do this, it would be very much appreciated. Are people who are able to use paddle shifters able to use them for any car regardless of gearbox type?

cluck
20-03-2016, 12:34
Is there a way I can use a gated shifter for any car? I used to be able to prior to patch 7. Now I can only enjoy about 1/3 of the cars that don't have sequential gearboxs and limited to what classes I can race online. If anyone knows a setting that would allow me to do this, it would be very much appreciated. Are people who are able to use paddle shifters able to use them for any car regardless of gearbox type?I use the paddle-shifts for 'sequential' boxes. The h-shifter is locked, I believe, to only work with cars that have an h-shift. You can use it, but it will only go up and down one gear at a time - so you can't shift from 5th to 3rd, say, in one movement on the h-shifter in a car with a sequential box in game, which is realistic of course as you wouldn't be able to do that in real life.

Mad Al
20-03-2016, 12:58
The clue is in the name.. sequential gearbox.

Identadoor
20-03-2016, 12:58
I use the paddle-shifts for 'sequential' boxes. The h-shifter is locked, I believe, to only work with cars that have an h-shift. You can use it, but it will only go up and down one gear at a time - so you can't shift from 5th to 3rd, say, in one movement on the h-shifter in a car with a sequential box in game, which is realistic of course as you wouldn't be able to do that in real life.

Unfortunately when I use the H shifter on cars with sequential gearboxs it doesn't engage into 3rd or 5th gear 80-90% of the time. I end up shifting from 2nd to 4th, then to 6th. So I can actually skip gears, but don't want to in this case. I typically race my dad online with AI. He uses paddles and seems to be able to enjoy every car the game has to offer. He's in his seventies, so maybe he just doesn't realize. Lol. After patch 7 we've been limited on what classes we can now race due to lack of any H shifters in certain classes. Hopefully they can set it back to how it was prior to patch 7 (only the shifting. All other improvments in the patches have been great!) or at least some sort of work around would be great. Bummer I got all the dlc, but can only race a few cars.

Didd31
20-03-2016, 13:28
yes it's faster in manual transmission than in automatic transmission in your profile, even with cars with sequential gears box ( virtual game helps are not the real car's helps, true also for ABS, TCS etc ... ).

tested and approved on line with a friend, same cars , same setups, same controler configuration ( TX , 3PApro, Shifter TH8 ), no virtual helps exept the two different options of transmission in ours profile. Do this test to convince yourself.

Mad Al
20-03-2016, 13:58
Unfortunately when I use the H shifter on cars with sequential gearboxs it doesn't engage into 3rd or 5th gear 80-90% of the time. I end up shifting from 2nd to 4th, then to 6th. So I can actually skip gears, but don't want to in this case. I typically race my dad online with AI. He uses paddles and seems to be able to enjoy every car the game has to offer. He's in his seventies, so maybe he just doesn't realize. Lol. After patch 7 we've been limited on what classes we can now race due to lack of any H shifters in certain classes. Hopefully they can set it back to how it was prior to patch 7 (only the shifting. All other improvments in the patches have been great!) or at least some sort of work around would be great. Bummer I got all the dlc, but can only race a few cars.

If you use an H pattern with a sequential equipped car, changing up from 2nd to 4th will engage 3rd and then 4th gear.. it's designed to mimic the sequential even when you use an H pattern and it was changed in patch 5 and I'm fairly sure that nothing has changed since... so there isn't anything to revert.

And are you saying you have no option but to use an H Pattern ?

Identadoor
20-03-2016, 14:15
If you use an H pattern with a sequential equipped car, changing up from 2nd to 4th will engage 3rd and then 4th gear.. it's designed to mimic the sequential even when you use an H pattern and it was changed in patch 5 and I'm fairly sure that nothing has changed since... so there isn't anything to revert.

And are you saying you have no option but to use an H Pattern ?

That's the weird thing, I am able to shift from 2nd to 4th, otherwise if I shift from 2nd to 3rd it's as if it's stuck in neutral, so I just skip 3rd gear and go straight to 4th. It may be jumping to third briefly but my point is I don't get to utilize 3rd gear. Maybe it was around the patch 5 time frame. I don't exactly recall I just know I was able to use the H shifter with every car and enjoy the game to its fullest. I enjoy using in a H shifter much more than the paddles. It just simply makes the game feel more immersive. If I was to switch to using paddles I need to reset game settings to sequential which then automatically resets all my other in-game settings. Doesn't make things quick and easy to switch back and forth from paddles to H shifting.

Mad Al
20-03-2016, 15:27
That's the weird thing, I am able to shift from 2nd to 4th, otherwise if I shift from 2nd to 3rd it's as if it's stuck in neutral, so I just skip 3rd gear and go straight to 4th. It may be jumping to third briefly but my point is I don't get to utilize 3rd gear. Maybe it was around the patch 5 time frame. I don't exactly recall I just know I was able to use the H shifter with every car and enjoy the game to its fullest. I enjoy using in a H shifter much more than the paddles. It just simply makes the game feel more immersive. If I was to switch to using paddles I need to reset game settings to sequential which then automatically resets all my other in-game settings. Doesn't make things quick and easy to switch back and forth from paddles to H shifting.

Not sure how using a gearshift that is not the same as the real thing is more immersive, but each to their own...

You shouldn't need to change anything, unless you have a really odd setup. The up/down and individual gears settings should be separate and you can swap between them without changing anything... this isn't AC where you have to eff about setting what you want to use before starting, you can just use what you want when you want... you don't even have to leave the H pattern in N.

The only reason you would have to change anything is if you have a sequential stick that doubles as the H Pattern, if you have separate paddles I don't see why you would need to change a thing

Identadoor
20-03-2016, 15:39
Not sure how using a gearshift that is not the same as the real thing is more immersive, but each to their own...

You shouldn't need to change anything, unless you have a really odd setup. The up/down and individual gears settings should be separate and you can swap between them without changing anything... this isn't AC where you have to eff about setting what you want to use before starting, you can just use what you want when you want... you don't even have to leave the H pattern in N.

The only reason you would have to change anything is if you have a sequential stick that doubles as the H Pattern, if you have separate paddles I don't see why you would need to change a thing

I thought I had to set the game settings control scheme to "sequential shifter" when using the paddles and "gated shifter" when using the H shifter? How would you set it up? If that is the case then that automatically resets my configuration and edited button assignments back to default.

Mad Al
20-03-2016, 16:16
I thought I had to set the game settings control scheme to "sequential shifter" when using the paddles and "gated shifter" when using the H shifter? How would you set it up? If that is the case then that automatically resets my configuration and edited button assignments back to default.

set it as gated, and in the edit assignments, it should have a gear up, gear down assignment that is mapped to the paddles.. simple as that.

Identadoor
20-03-2016, 16:34
set it as gated, and in the edit assignments, it should have a gear up, gear down assignment that is mapped to the paddles.. simple as that.

That is how I have it set up, but I still can't use a H shifter with cars with sequential gearboxs without the 3rd and 5th gears engaging 80-90% of the time. I appreciate the help, but not sure there's a workaround that'll let me use the H Shifter for any car as it did in the past. I miss gt3!

Mad Al
20-03-2016, 16:55
That is how I have it set up, but I still can't use a H shifter with cars with sequential gearboxs without the 3rd and 5th gears engaging 80-90% of the time. I appreciate the help, but not sure there's a workaround that'll let me use the H Shifter for any car as it did in the past. I miss gt3!

The workaround is to use the "correct" gear shift type per car, i.e. paddles for sequential.... that was why I said you shouldn't have to change the settings... as for why you miss gears, unless it happens to be specific to the PS4 + whatever wheel you have (as you haven't actually mentioned what it is), I've no idea, as it definitely doesn't happen for everyone (maybe ask in the PS4 specific tech area).

hkraft300
21-03-2016, 09:12
Auto-clutch engages for all sequential/DSG gearboxes when it shouldn't. For race cars like open/LMP/GT the revs spike with each shift and damage the engine.
I have a button mapped for auto-clutch to turn off after launch/leaving pits.

DreamsKnight
21-03-2016, 12:23
i use standard configuration. with sequetial gearbox i use paddles, but i can use H shifter to change all gears without pushing the clutch.

if you want to trasform the Hshifter in a sequential lever, you can use some rubber bands to have the lever always back in the center. then you can map 3 and 5 as gear up and gear down.