PDA

View Full Version : Ai difficulty ....

Madmazz116
21-03-2016, 14:54
Why is it so difficult to get the Ai rght in this game? Im on PS4 using a pad and im forever having to adjust the Ai for different events , and tracks. Running 2nd season of GT3 and Ive had to adjust the Ai severeal times for the type of track. Any suggestions ? or is it somthing I have to live with ?

Cheers

AbeWoz
21-03-2016, 15:01
AFAIK the AI will get progressively better as you progress in your career. But when I first started the game I had to turn the AI down for the rain events (before they were patched properly)

danowat
21-03-2016, 15:16
AFAIK the AI will get progressively better as you progress in your career. But when I first started the game I had to turn the AI down for the rain events (before they were patched properly)

I've seen this banded around before, but never seen any proof of it.

The AI is just inconsistent, I run mostly on 80, and on some tracks I can win by miles, and on others I get a good race, it's also inconsistent across different cars, it's just one of those things you have to live with.

AbeWoz
21-03-2016, 15:19
it also depends on the car you are driving. obviously some cars are stronger on certain tracks, like the turbo'd cars have a large advantage on high altitude tracks over NA cars.

APR193
21-03-2016, 15:33
Ai varies from car to car and track to track. Most cars they are quite strong, but the older single seaters (not the FF, but the F1 cars) they are dreadful. Same with tracks. Most they are good but they are inconsistent. Donington GP for example they are very good other than the foggy esses, but on Donington National they are very slow around the Old Hairpin, a corner that they have no problem with on the longer track despite the corner being exactly the same.

Mahjik
21-03-2016, 15:37
I've seen this banded around before, but never seen any proof of it.

The AI is just inconsistent, I run mostly on 80, and on some tracks I can win by miles, and on others I get a good race, it's also inconsistent across different cars, it's just one of those things you have to live with.

You won't be able to see the WMD post, but you can see the discussion here:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?45524-Entire-career-crushing-100-AI-until&p=1244996&viewfull=1#post1244996

PeteUplink
21-03-2016, 20:18
I find the AI generally too slow on this game, even at 100%. But I tend to drive around 70-80% due to the aggressiveness of the AI at higher levels... I've always thought the game should have had separate AI speed and aggression sliders. All that being said, if I start my races somewhere in the last third of the pack and work my way forwards carefully I can have some good races. Once I get ahead, though I leave them standing.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
21-03-2016, 21:19
Yeah, 100% could be quicker, though I don't really have problems with the aggressiveness of the AI. Actually I think the AI used to be quicker at 100% not that long ago. I've been doing a series of races online with a friend every now and again where we fill up the field AI, and in the first three races were were consistently in the 7th to 9th place range against 100% AI (we purposefully picked cars that were slightly slow for their class so that we wouldn't blow past the AI so easily, and balance with using lower end tyres and wastegate settings etc. otherwise as well) but for the last two we've been in the 1-3 region. The exact placements were

1: 7 & 8
2: 8 & 9
3: 8 & 9
4: 1 & 2
5: 1 & 3

Even the AI cars that were pretty much just plain unbeatable before (the fastest cars in the class, both of which really should be one class higher, they're easily 4-7 seconds faster than the rest of the field on most tracks) we're now able to compete with and win fairly easily, unless we do several significant mistakes. The last race where we placed in the 8-9 region was January 7th and the next race was February 6th, so we thought that maybe it was Patch 8 causing it, but nothing in the release notes at least says anything about large scale AI changes, so we have no idea what's going on.

Schnizz58
21-03-2016, 21:41
Patch 8 tire changes making you faster but not the AI?

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
21-03-2016, 21:50
Patch 8 tire changes making you faster but not the AI?We're talking in many cases several seconds' worth of time here per lap, patch 8 didn't make the player THAT much faster (if at all really). Back when we were finishing in the 7-9 region it was literally always because there were 7 AI drivers with the two specific car models that were unbeatable, unless they spent a lot of time in the gravel or went into the pits at weird times (we've been doing roughly 90 minute races).

It could also be that for whatever reason the tracks we've driven the last two times have had slower AI. We should probably try a session where we revisit one of the older tracks to see what's what.

bradleyland
21-03-2016, 23:24
Try Group A touring cars on Mazda Laguna Seca. AI was always really tough on that one.

PeteUplink
23-03-2016, 12:54
Yeah, 100% could be quicker, though I don't really have problems with the aggressiveness of the AI.

Okay, maybe aggressiveness was the wrong phrase. What I've noticed a lot is, even if you're on the inside of them, the AI will often move across to defend their line and bump into you as if they've not noticed you're there. It's fine in touring cars, but can be a pain in open wheelers with full damage on. The other one, which is something I think the professional drivers who tested this game should have picked up, is the way the AI will chop cross to block you in the braking zones.

Please be aware that I'm not talking about moving to the inside to defend the corner. I'm talking about the AI moving over rather violently after both cars have started braking. This is a move that is considered illegal, as the rules state that drivers must leave at least a cars width at the edge of the track, and is considered very unsafe in many forms of motorsport. I've seen penalities dished out to drivers who do this in real life (Listen to David Coulthard's comments on it below). I'm not saying the AI shouldn't move across, but it shouldn't do it at the last minute when they've got another driver trying to out brake them. At 70-80% AI these problems aren't quite so bad, but at 100% AI they seem to do it a lot more, against the player and other AI, and don't seem at all worried about damaging their own car. They need to sort out the corner cutting as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCyH88bs9ak

Schnizz58
23-03-2016, 13:41
They need to sort out the corner cutting as well.
This has been my main gripe with the AI since day 1. It's really irritating to out duel an AI driver only have him cut a corner and undo all your hard work.

Shadowoff
23-03-2016, 15:50
Yeah, 100% could be quicker, though I don't really have problems with the aggressiveness of the AI. Actually I think the AI used to be quicker at 100% not that long ago. I've been doing a series of races online with a friend every now and again where we fill up the field AI, and in the first three races were were consistently in the 7th to 9th place range against 100% AI (we purposefully picked cars that were slightly slow for their class so that we wouldn't blow past the AI so easily, and balance with using lower end tyres and wastegate settings etc. otherwise as well) but for the last two we've been in the 1-3 region. The exact placements were

1: 7 & 8
2: 8 & 9
3: 8 & 9
4: 1 & 2
5: 1 & 3

Even the AI cars that were pretty much just plain unbeatable before (the fastest cars in the class, both of which really should be one class higher, they're easily 4-7 seconds faster than the rest of the field on most tracks) we're now able to compete with and win fairly easily, unless we do several significant mistakes. The last race where we placed in the 8-9 region was January 7th and the next race was February 6th, so we thought that maybe it was Patch 8 causing it, but nothing in the release notes at least says anything about large scale AI changes, so we have no idea what's going on.

I have the same opinion on it. For example GT3 at Spa: I can go with 0/1 wings in the Z4 FULL THROTTLE through Eau Rouge and Blanchimont while the AI have to lift of (maybe 10 kp/h slower).
Also Nordschleife: At Flugplatz or Pflanz Garten. Flugplatz I can drive with 230 kp/h (FULL THROTTLE in the Z4 with 0/2 wings) and the AI runs with 210 kp/h. I dont know the speed, but at Pflanz Garten the AI is almost 20-30 kp/h slower and I can go (how you can already think) with FULL THROTTLE.

The default setup (the AI is using) has 1/9 wings...

Hope you can understand the problem. Im 3 seconds faster at Spa and 12 SECONDS at Nordschleife...

PeteUplink
23-03-2016, 16:34
This has been my main gripe with the AI since day 1. It's really irritating to out duel an AI driver only have him cut a corner and undo all your hard work.

The worst one for me is when an AI car cuts a corner with a high kerb and launches itself into the side of you.

RimanDk
24-03-2016, 07:39
Okay, maybe aggressiveness was the wrong phrase. What I've noticed a lot is, even if you're on the inside of them, the AI will often move across to defend their line and bump into you as if they've not noticed you're there. It's fine in touring cars, but can be a pain in open wheelers with full damage on. The other one, which is something I think the professional drivers who tested this game should have picked up, is the way the AI will chop cross to block you in the braking zones.

Please be aware that I'm not talking about moving to the inside to defend the corner. I'm talking about the AI moving over rather violently after both cars have started braking. This is a move that is considered illegal, as the rules state that drivers must leave at least a cars width at the edge of the track, and is considered very unsafe in many forms of motorsport. I've seen penalities dished out to drivers who do this in real life (Listen to David Coulthard's comments on it below). I'm not saying the AI shouldn't move across, but it shouldn't do it at the last minute when they've got another driver trying to out brake them. At 70-80% AI these problems aren't quite so bad, but at 100% AI they seem to do it a lot more, against the player and other AI, and don't seem at all worried about damaging their own car. They need to sort out the corner cutting as well.

For what it's worth, I have only seen the AI swerve in front of me during braking, when they themselves had another car in front of them that they were trying to avoid or outbreak. I have raced the AI at all difficulties between 75% and 100% and so far I have yet to see a lone AI, with me behind, intentionally change lane while braking with the sole purpose of blocking me. In fact, their awareness seems to be very much forward-going, more than in any other direction. I don't know if they do "check their mirrors" or otherwise are aware of my being behind them. I haven't seen much so far to suggest it (If I come charging behind them on a straight they don't seem to move in to block me, even if they are allowed 1 move of such character. When I'm close and we are going through a weavy bit of track, they seem more concerned with their racing line than with defensive driving). I agree wholeheartedly that there is a problem with the sideways awareness. I am reluctant to pass the AI in corners, because most of the time there will be contact and one of us is going to eat some grass or gravel or whatnot, either through my own deficiency (my race craft is not the best) or the AI's. It's almost like they have too large of a blind spot to the sides, or they don't use their mirrors well.

Ixoye56
24-03-2016, 07:55
Inconsistent AI is something every racing game has trouble with, it is sadly something we must learn to live with, I usually drive with 100% AI at qualifications and then puts them down 10% to the race due to the aggressiveness at higher levels ...

PeteUplink
24-03-2016, 14:23
I am reluctant to pass the AI in corners, because most of the time there will be contact and one of us is going to eat some grass or gravel or whatnot, either through my own deficiency (my race craft is not the best) or the AI's. It's almost like they have too large of a blind spot to the sides, or they don't use their mirrors well.

That's my issue too. Even if I'm really close and know that I would be able to easily out brake the AI car ahead and get the inside line into the corner, I won't and will let the AI car have the line because I know they're just going to barrel into the side of me. It's not so big a problem in touring cars or GT racers, and I may often take the risk of a little damage, but in open wheelers forget it! I've noticed the AI tends to be very slow out of corners, so my usual trick is to out accelerate them out of the corner and get them on the straight bits.