PDA

View Full Version : How do you drive the BMW 320 TC?

MarleyMoo
21-03-2016, 22:30
I'm ok with this car on long sweeping corners, but consecutive left-right-lefts like in Silverstone just throw me off. I either get too aggressive and spin out, or I'm just slow. Also, 2nd gear corner exits are difficult to get right.

Is this car supposed to be driven using 100% left foot braking? Is it set up to corner with the front slightly washed out? How much should I rely on trail-braking vs steering with throttle for rotation?

BTW, I'm trying to get used to the default set up for now, using G25.

danowat
22-03-2016, 08:29
Slowly!

It's the tyres, they let go way too easily, you need to keep weight transfer in the forefront of your mind when driving it so it doesn't get out of shape, because once it does, you've had it, the Renault Trophy V6 shares the same tyres and exhibits the same issues.

Sloskimo
22-03-2016, 08:33
You don't drive it, you sail it :)

Diamond_Eyes
22-03-2016, 08:42
No, you just don't drive it.....

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
22-03-2016, 11:35
Great car, even though the tyres are a bit snappy on the limit when cold. Like danowat said you have to keep weight transfer in mind with it and get to grips with the car smoothly. The Megane Trophy does suffer a bit from the same, but it has so much DF that it's a lot better at handling things. The Renault Clio also shares the same tyres and is super snappy with cold tyres, but very drivable when they're warm (as long as you have a decent setup).

RacingManiac
22-03-2016, 12:21
I hate the car initially but once getting the setup dialed in its actually a lot of fun. Though this is one of those cars where the drastic difference between tire temperature really bites the car(if the track temp drops the car's handling gets way out of shape).

That issue in general is kinda annoying in pCars.

graveltrap
22-03-2016, 12:46
I really enjoy the challenge of this car, it makes for some proper fun QRW action ( I enjoy the Megane Trophy V6 for he same reasons). You have to be measured with throttle, brake and steering application to get the most out of it, which is a far more rewarding drive than some of the other cars in the game.

Be wary of the turbo torque from the fiesty little 4 banger, it can cause havoc if deployed at the wrong time ;) :)

Most people do seem to hate it with a passion though :(

danowat
22-03-2016, 12:53
Most people do seem to hate it with a passion though :(

It just requires a different mindset to most cars, I'd imagine most people think, BMW 320 with slick tyres, pin the throttle and hit the turns flatout, but it's nothing like that.

It's a very satisfying car to drive, but it'll bite your hand, arm and half your body off if you aren't 100% on the ball 100% of the time, I wonder if the real car is as fiesty.

It's one of my favourite cars, along with the Trophy V6 :)

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
22-03-2016, 14:20
Also I do like it when something that would have been absolute par for the course for every single imaginable car only some years back in a sim (tyres that have sudden on the edge behavior) is now so readily considered to be almost a bug (I doubt it is, there are sudden tyres out there, but it is a different type of tyre than a lot of the other cars run). When pCARS was starting there was a real worry that people wouldn't believe that tyres CAN actually feel like they have grip on the edge, and I'm glad that that proved to be unnecessary in the long run. =)

RacingManiac
22-03-2016, 17:09
I think the tire behavior is not bad, I just don't think they are that sensitive to ambient condition in their heating and cooling. Absolute cold tire understandable, but ambient changing by a couple of degree as is can change from keeping the tire temp to struggling to build temp.

MarleyMoo
22-03-2016, 19:34
Thanks guys. I feel it just demands a bit more finesse than I was expecting to give. It's hard to believe they'd put this kind of tyres on a touring car. I mean, how the heck do you race in Macau like this... it's so hectic.

morpwr
22-03-2016, 20:42
Thanks guys. I feel it just demands a bit more finesse than I was expecting to give. It's hard to believe they'd put this kind of tyres on a touring car. I mean, how the heck do you race in Macau like this... it's so hectic.

Just a thought. Are you trying to speed up and slow down through the s turns? If so you will almost always spin out or loose the car. Try finding the fastest speed you can carry through them without having to speed up or slow down so the car stays balanced.

Krus Control
22-03-2016, 20:45
I didn't have any problems in this car. Just lower accel lock and default is a great setup. The tires feel great and very realistic as is the case pretty much universally in PCARS. The car gets plenty of grip.

MarleyMoo
22-03-2016, 22:40
Just a thought. Are you trying to speed up and slow down through the s turns? If so you will almost always spin out or loose the car. Try finding the fastest speed you can carry through them without having to speed up or slow down so the car stays balanced.

Yeah I am. I seem to be able to accelerate / decelerate only when holding a slight understeer. If I attempt that during transition from side to side, then it's usually bad. Trail braking into a corner is also scary.

morpwr
22-03-2016, 23:24
Yeah I am. I seem to be able to accelerate / decelerate only when holding a slight understeer. If I attempt that during transition from side to side, then it's usually bad. Trail braking into a corner is also scary.

That's the problem. When doing quick back and forth turns if you try to speed up or slow down when already corning you totally throw the car out of balance. If you think about it you will understand. The tires are already doing all they can do to corner multiple times in a row the minute you try to speed up or touch the brake you exceed what the tires can do. So try to find the fastest steady comfortable speed through them and it should help a lot. Youll be faster too. Hope that helps you out.

MarleyMoo
24-03-2016, 17:45
I found one thing that helped greatly... Upping the FFB strength.

So I was using default FFB, but with the steering gain (last slider) set to 1.00 instead of the original 3.00, but I couldn't sense oversteer early enough with this. What would help is either a) reduce scoop reduction to 0, b) increase steering gain to around 1.5. They both make the FFB change more noticeable at normal cornering loads. Now I know to back off throttle sooner.

The default steering gain of 3.00 feels like massive overkill....

morpwr
24-03-2016, 18:09
I found one thing that helped greatly... Upping the FFB strength.

So I was using default FFB, but with the steering gain (last slider) set to 1.00 instead of the original 3.00, but I couldn't sense oversteer early enough with this. What would help is either a) reduce scoop reduction to 0, b) increase steering gain to around 1.5. They both make the FFB change more noticeable at normal cornering loads. Now I know to back off throttle sooner.

The default steering gain of 3.00 feels like massive overkill....

What wheel are you using and if I'm not mistaken I think youre supposed to set gain to about 1.0 on pc also like consoles. But getting the right ffb and wheel settings makes a huge difference.

MarleyMoo
24-03-2016, 22:09
What wheel are you using and if I'm not mistaken I think youre supposed to set gain to about 1.0 on pc also like consoles. But getting the right ffb and wheel settings makes a huge difference.

G25. Yeah I agree about gain set to 1.0, and the default at 3.0 seems really weird. I don't find a good reason for the existence of scoop reduction either.

Update: I Increased castor angles to max 12.9 degrees, and it's much more drivable for me!

morpwr
25-03-2016, 19:27
G25. Yeah I agree about gain set to 1.0, and the default at 3.0 seems really weird. I don't find a good reason for the existence of scoop reduction either.

Update: I Increased castor angles to max 12.9 degrees, and it's much more drivable for me!

That's because youre getting more ffb feel from it. I would put it back stock and try some different wheel settings and ffb settings. Scoops are useful for balancing forces from the wheel. Jacks work well for the car settings then you can check the oscarolim site for some g25 settings from different users. Jacks wheel settings are a good starting point also. There is a lot left from the default values as far as ffb feel goes.

Ciccina2016
13-10-2017, 07:45
Hello Gents

this thread is really useful for me as apparently I am not the only one struggling with this car at Silverstone.
Did you find a way of beating the oversteer on fast corners or is it just driving stile?

What I don't get is that if tyres get into temperature , it is fine to drive

BTW I have been playing PC2 instead of PC1 but the issue seems the same

Ciccina2016
23-10-2017, 15:12
I'm ok with this car on long sweeping corners, but consecutive left-right-lefts like in Silverstone just throw me off. I either get too aggressive and spin out, or I'm just slow. Also, 2nd gear corner exits are difficult to get right.

Is this car supposed to be driven using 100% left foot braking? Is it set up to corner with the front slightly washed out? How much should I rely on trail-braking vs steering with throttle for rotation?

BTW, I'm trying to get used to the default set up for now, using G25.

Interesting I am not the only one to have asked this question.

This car is simply undriveable when racing with cold temperature in Silverstone which implies the tyre model for this car is broken.

PLease refer to this thread. http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?55174-Setup-for-2012-BMW-320-TC-(E90)-at-Silverstone-(autumn-season)

With hot temperatures , all the other TCs are 2-3 seconds faster per lap.