PDA

View Full Version : Lap times

laszlo-karoly
23-03-2016, 16:07
First of all I know that I am not a driving god or something but like how do some people do some lap times is beyond my ability to understand. For example Nordschleife I just did a perfect lap for me with no crashes or anything and I drove as fast and best as I can. The time was 7:14:995 (personal best so far) in a BMW M3 GT3.2 Minutes later a guy did 6.55.xxx. I addmit that my lap was not perfect and that I could shave max 5 sec of the time if I could get that lucky but 20 seconds is just unbeliveable and unmanagable for me. If I try some later braking I fly off the track or understeer or at the corner exit if I get sooner on the gas the car oversteers leading to slower lap times. And yes, I am using a wheel T150RS. Any tips or ideas how to improve or anything? Thank you in advance.

AbeWoz
23-03-2016, 16:13
What setup are you running on the car?

laszlo-karoly
23-03-2016, 16:26
What setup are you running on the car?

Well pretty much stock, I just reduce fuel amount and suspension stiffness and ride height deppending if the track is smooth or rough

beetes_juice
23-03-2016, 16:35
Not gonna help with a +20 gap but Nords in almost every car in game (and other games) needs a little gear ratio work.

Also, check the setup database out. I'm sure there is a good amount of M3 @ Nords tunes out there as the combo is :yes:

Rambo_Commando
23-03-2016, 16:37
Well pretty much stock, I just reduce fuel amount and suspension stiffness and ride height deppending if the track is smooth or rough

Setup plays a big role. Guys that are putting down quick lap times aren't running default setups. These guys also take full advantage of the track limits so getting to know the track is a must.

Jego
23-03-2016, 16:39
Concentrate on the exits of the corners before long straights first. A few km/h more on the end of the straights will gain you a lot of time.

laszlo-karoly
23-03-2016, 19:38
Concentrate on the exits of the corners before long straights first. A few km/h more on the end of the straights will gain you a lot of time.

Well that is how I went from 7:20 to 7:14 on default car settings,ofc I dont get every corner right but after looking after what I am doing and after I learned the track a bit I managed to shave those 6 seconds.

Btw I found some vehicle settings and tested it, now I need to get used to it a bit and than I will test it for lap times.But tbh I would like to learn how to setup a car myself for diferent tracks and not just looking from someone else on the internet since that might be good or bad setup or something that I do not prefer.

beetes_juice
23-03-2016, 20:10
tbh I would like to learn how to setup a car myself for diferent tracks and not just looking from someone else on the internet since that might be good or bad setup or something that I do not prefer.

Take a look at the sticky threads here: The Garage - Car Setup Talk (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/forumdisplay.php?117-The-Garage-Car-Setup-Talk)

Will help you get started.

*TonyR has a nice youtube channel for setup guides also. Here (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeLIaRsZLNQDI8bt69YHaHg).

BCJM76
23-03-2016, 20:21
I don't get it either. I know I'm not the fastest guy out there and I'm probably handicapped by having to use a controller at present but it amazes me how I can be behind someone and they have the ass end of the car out on every corner like it's fast and furious but then as soon as they hit the exit, they blast off into the sunset.

I try to hit my entrances and exits and it is a struggle to even keep them in sight and it's like they're just fooling around, smoke everywhere. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Schnizz58
23-03-2016, 20:33
You might also find the Pock Race Trainer useful. I haven't tried it myself but I plan to. https://pockracetrainer.wordpress.com/

ramm21
23-03-2016, 20:33
I would say before any setup changes or whatnot, learn to drive the cars well in stock form. If you have smoke everywhere in corners, you will not be fast no matter what car or setup you have. Learn consistency first, then move to change car setups. If you cant take the same exact line through a corner 3 to 5 times in a row, you're nowhere good enough to benefit from setups.
Also this is probably the worst track to use if you're trying to learn how to take corners properly. Too many different corners, plus one of the most difficult places to drive. I would start with a Snetterton 100, Brands Indy, short tracks that take less than a minute to complete so you can get repetitions in.

EpilepticToast
23-03-2016, 20:50
with the nords it is priority #1 to learn and memorize every corner, which might take some time lol. After that you need to be completely comfortable with your car and know it's limits (bmw m3 is fastest but very tough to drive on the edge, try another gt? The aston GTE is very good and smooth here, got it to do consistent 6:50's in race once). Tuning for the ring is very difficult because it needs such a different approach to any other track. over time after practicing you'll see all the corners you can make up that extra 3 tenths or so. Next you see just how much time it shaves off when all corners are taken on the limit. It doesn't seem like it will, but that delta will go green by way more than you expect when only a few corners are strung together with good exits. do that for the entire lap and you'll find your 20 seconds man.
Easier said than done of course

Krus Control
23-03-2016, 20:56
On PC the time for the M3 GT3 is 6:33.997. Just sayin.

EpilepticToast
23-03-2016, 21:28
On PC the time for the M3 GT3 is 6:33.997. Just sayin.

wow what a time! I wonder how many months that took to perfect?! I just can't see how that's even possible, would love an on board of that lap for guidance.

like even a 6:40 is a truly fantastic time for any gt, how do you shave that much more lol

cluck
23-03-2016, 21:39
I haven't driven the M3 for quite a while (must be quite a few months since I did a lap in anger in it) but just ran 2 laps with 100% default setup, no driver assists and 1st lap was 6m47.x, 2nd lap was 6.44.x. The default setup is severely hampered by the wings and gearing for the long straight but point is, 6m55 is by no means 'that' quick.

I'm on PC by the way.

EDIT : As a general tip though, for going faster, practice. You also need to push the car harder and go over the limits to find where the limits are - until you exceed the limits, you are not driving quickly enough.

laszlo-karoly
24-03-2016, 19:53
Hello guys,sooo I was doing some laps at the Nord. and the best I managed was 7.09.xxx with one second penalty and 3 spinouts.So I guess without all those penalties and spins I could have done that lap under 7 minutes, dunno. But anyway thank you VERY much for the help.Now I just need to be not lazy and do the car setups for all the tracks lol