PDA

View Full Version : Blowing a chicane...

mapguy
28-03-2016, 20:57
I was racing online Saturday and saw something unusual. Well, maybe I shouldn't have been surprised as the field was half full of rammers... Le Mans with GT3's. Early in the race I was in the middle of the field with a couple of cars in front and several behind. I was mid way through the second chicane on the Mulsanne and I saw someone totally blow the chicane. Full tilt. I was a little taken aback and had a giggle. However, I fully expected to pass him after the chicane as he/she would have the usual slow down penalty. Nope. Didn't happen. Has anyone else see this happen?

I might try it tonigh with the AI and see what happens... :D

3800racingfool
28-03-2016, 23:34
I was racing online Saturday and saw something unusual. Well, maybe I shouldn't have been surprised as the field was half full of rammers... Le Mans with GT3's. Early in the race I was in the middle of the field with a couple of cars in front and several behind. I was mid way through the second chicane on the Mulsanne and I saw someone totally blow the chicane. Full tilt. I was a little taken aback and had a giggle. However, I fully expected to pass him after the chicane as he/she would have the usual slow down penalty. Nope. Didn't happen. Has anyone else see this happen?

I might try it tonigh with the AI and see what happens... :D

Probably were racing with penalties disabled. A lot of people (like myself) will disable them since they tend to be overly sensitive and rely on people to play fair. Needless to say, some people don't.

flatspunout
29-03-2016, 00:50
Even if penalties are enabled it is faster to cut most chicanes and just take the slowdown penalty. IMO slowdown penalties are unrealistic and lead to innocent bystanders getting wrecked, should be warning - drive through - DQ.

Krus Control
29-03-2016, 01:13
Yeah some people do that when you disable penalties. I'll tell them to stop, and if they don't it's goodbye.

hkraft300
29-03-2016, 03:28
Also on the last lap at Le Mans a car behind you can blow past the final set of chicanes (just at the pit entrance there) and take the position.
I've had a couple guys do that to me in random MP races. Don't understand why though...

konnos
29-03-2016, 08:10
Their car is coasting with enough speed that the 5second penalty is not enough for you to catch up.

hkraft300
29-03-2016, 08:38
Ye the 5/10 sec penalty is a no-throttle time. If you're going at 300kmh well you're still way ahead.
+1 for invisible maple syrup over the sandbanks at chicanes. I mean who doesn't like maple syrup...

Mascot
29-03-2016, 08:47
People here still race against randoms? That's asking for trouble, and all it takes is one fidiot to ruin it for everybody. Why not use this forum to find like-minded people to race with?

Regarding penalties, maybe the time imposed should directly correspond with the speed of the car when the offence was committed, eg 60mph = 5 second penalty, 100mph = 10 second penalty etc. with sliding scales.

hkraft300
29-03-2016, 08:58
I race in public online lobbies. Its not great.
I've got a bunch of guys that are often online that I'll join for races that I'd met in public lobbies and off this forum. Leagues and adding random good racers to run some private races are the way to go.
I'm against slow-down/contact penalties. Slow-down penalties are unrealistic. Eg for corner cutting it should be warning/drive-through/DQ instead. Contact penalties can't discriminate accidental/intentional contact. It can work, and I suppose we'd learn soon enough how to avoid them.

Haiden
29-03-2016, 11:49
Their car is coasting with enough speed that the 5second penalty is not enough for you to catch up.

It would be nice if the slow down penalty was adjustable for MP sessions. A couple sliders in the session creation screens to set the time penalty and Steward sensitivity would be nice.