PDA

View Full Version : questions for the endurance series vets

shiftee
29-03-2016, 15:30
I apologize if this has all been discussed before, but I was unable to search and find any concrete answers. I was putting off trying the endurance part of career, but finally dove in and to my surprise its been some of my favorite racing! of course I have to shorten the races to 1-2 hours due to my free time, but I love the transitions of time of day, weather, and atmosphere -- and love the multi class aspect. I'm racing LMP2 and enjoy having to navigate traffic, you never get too lonely out there.

anyway, the only downside has been these lengthy races have shown some holes and warts on the AI and their strategy. I have it set to a very difficult (for me) setting, but I seem to keep placing top 2 because the AI might be taking too many pit stops. I love the added strategy pit stops create, but it seems like they might be ruining the competitiveness of the races.

last race at RA, crew chief told me the AI was pitting right after he told me I was at half fuel. I turned all damage off in case that was making them pit, so I assume this was for tires or fuel? Is there any way to tell how many times each AI pits? its hard to keep track of during a race, sometimes I feel not all of them pit 3 times when I pit 2 -- other times I feel like they have no strategy at all, like they pit for tires and then come back in to pit for fuel when needed. On the Le Mans 24 (shortened to 2 hours), I came out of my final pit getting passed by the leader setting up a great duel for the final 6 laps being 4 seconds behind. I was up for the challenge really dialing in on my last 10 laps. so what happens? the leader takes a pit on the next lap...leaving me smooth no pressure sailing to close out the race. bummer. I DEFINITELY did not race the first 20 or so laps well enough to finish top 3, but got gifted a 1st place finish.

should I start forcing myself to make an additional pit? will increasing tire wear to 4X or something make me pit more often (does it affect AI the same?) any of you crazy endurance racers have any insight on what strategy is making the AI pit too much or any tips on how to balance it? it really ruins half the fun of having pit stops, and by half the fun I mean ALL of the fun.

other than the endurance AI, I'm really loving it..and this game!

kevin kirk
29-03-2016, 15:53
I apologize if this has all been discussed before, but I was unable to search and find any concrete answers. I was putting off trying the endurance part of career, but finally dove in and to my surprise its been some of my favorite racing! of course I have to shorten the races to 1-2 hours due to my free time, but I love the transitions of time of day, weather, and atmosphere -- and love the multi class aspect. I'm racing LMP2 and enjoy having to navigate traffic, you never get too lonely out there.

anyway, the only downside has been these lengthy races have shown some holes and warts on the AI and their strategy. I have it set to a very difficult (for me) setting, but I seem to keep placing top 2 because the AI might be taking too many pit stops. I love the added strategy pit stops create, but it seems like they might be ruining the competitiveness of the races.

last race at RA, crew chief told me the AI was pitting right after he told me I was at half fuel. I turned all damage off in case that was making them pit, so I assume this was for tires or fuel? Is there any way to tell how many times each AI pits? its hard to keep track of during a race, sometimes I feel not all of them pit 3 times when I pit 2 -- other times I feel like they have no strategy at all, like they pit for tires and then come back in to pit for fuel when needed. On the Le Mans 24 (shortened to 2 hours), I came out of my final pit getting passed by the leader setting up a great duel for the final 6 laps being 4 seconds behind. I was up for the challenge really dialing in on my last 10 laps. so what happens? the leader takes a pit on the next lap...leaving me smooth no pressure sailing to close out the race. bummer. I DEFINITELY did not race the first 20 or so laps well enough to finish top 3, but got gifted a 1st place finish.

should I start forcing myself to make an additional pit? will increasing tire wear to 4X or something make me pit more often (does it affect AI the same?) any of you crazy endurance racers have any insight on what strategy is making the AI pit too much or any tips on how to balance it? it really ruins half the fun of having pit stops, and by half the fun I mean ALL of the fun.

other than the endurance AI, I'm really loving it..and this game!............I have spent along time testing this very thing. Races that end reasonably close to them being out of fuel they will allways pit. They simply wont take the chance wether its because of the wear in the tires or the low fuel. Most of them will stop at the halfway mark in a short race. They know exactly whats going on in the race. They also know the fastest way to run the race for them. I cussed them for pitting when it seemed they didn't have to but catch and pass me from them having better tires. For one hour races I set the tire wear to x2. That puts everyone including me in the pits at the half way mark because of tire wear and the race plays out like you think a hour long race should. Longer races I use slow tire wear. Then I can just fill it up,run it dry and its tires and fuel on pit stops.

cxMilk
29-03-2016, 16:52
Assuming the AI strats are handled the same way the AI co-driver strats are handled, they're pit strategies are likely determined by fuel and pit with approximately 20-30l of fuel remaining in the car. There appears to be a fail safe point in the amount of fuel an AI car has that determines when he pits, typically around 27l based on watching the co-driver on occasion. If you're stretching your fuel runs to say <10l before you pit, you can easily get an extra lap or two or three (depending on track) which definitely adds up over the course of an extended race and can easily equate to one less pit stop.

I've been running a GT3 in the enduro season - 100% length - and I sometimes have to pit several laps (depending on track) before the AI because of tire degradation getting the better of me. The rare occasions (Spa for example) where I could make the tires last, or at least tolerable over the full course of a fuel stint, I could easily go a couple extra laps beyond the AI. The few enduro races I ran with a P1 I was always able to go at least one extra lap over the AI because my strats were fuel based, rarely if ever suffering from tire wear. I would suspect P2 would run a similar scenario.

Essentially, if you want to run more "fairly" against the AI strats, start pitting with ~30l of fuel still left in the car. Otherwise, can't really say as I've never experienced anything off about AI strats beyond what I've already mentioned.

shiftee
31-03-2016, 14:25
Well I tried the 2x tire wear at my next race at Sakitto and it was confusing, it really seems to wear faster than twice as "real" but I guess that was just in my head. I had to pit way ahead of any AI which was great, it gave me a reason to try mediums for once (on "real" tire wear, you'll always need fuel before tires so all I ever raced are softs). the next lap it starts raining, ouch. pitted to put on wets, now this is where it got weird. It was raining hard, but my wets completely wore out in only 2-3 laps on the Satikko endurance circuit (not really a long one). do wets really wear down this fast? on "real" I never worried about wear and would even drive them after the rain stopped for a few laps if close to the end of the race with no issues or wear. this 2x wear really accelerates things.

so I was wondering, is there any danger driving on completely worn out front tires? does it just affect grip/handling or could I actually blow out a tire and risk not finishing the race?

and does the 2x tire wear setting affect the AI? I assume it affects the player only. I really wish there was a 1.5X setting, 2x might be too drastic as I am racing 90-120 minute races now. I definitely want more pits, but if it rains I'll be pitting like crazy while the AI keeps on flying by oblivious to the 2x wear...

kevin kirk
31-03-2016, 15:21
Well I tried the 2x tire wear at my next race at Sakitto and it was confusing, it really seems to wear faster than twice as "real" but I guess that was just in my head. I had to pit way ahead of any AI which was great, it gave me a reason to try mediums for once (on "real" tire wear, you'll always need fuel before tires so all I ever raced are softs). the next lap it starts raining, ouch. pitted to put on wets, now this is where it got weird. It was raining hard, but my wets completely wore out in only 2-3 laps on the Satikko endurance circuit (not really a long one). do wets really wear down this fast? on "real" I never worried about wear and would even drive them after the rain stopped for a few laps if close to the end of the race with no issues or wear. this 2x wear really accelerates things.

so I was wondering, is there any danger driving on completely worn out front tires? does it just affect grip/handling or could I actually blow out a tire and risk not finishing the race?

and does the 2x tire wear setting affect the AI? I assume it affects the player only. I really wish there was a 1.5X setting, 2x might be too drastic as I am racing 90-120 minute races now. I definitely want more pits, but if it rains I'll be pitting like crazy while the AI keeps on flying by oblivious to the 2x wear...
...yea i only use 2x on shorter races. 90 to 120 races should work pretty good with the AI on real tire wear and fuel usage. As far as worn tires for me they just get so worn there undrivable like slick tires on wet. I go by the vr hive app to tell me the conditition of my tires. If I'm not mistaken the in game hud isn't accurate enough to work pit stops from.