PDA

View Full Version : [RESOLVED] Project Cars not loading (Oculus Home)

Flex1978
31-03-2016, 02:00
Hi Everyone,

I purchased and setup Project cars last night, was running perfectly in VR except my force feedback.

Finally got my wheel setup but Project cars now won't load, I click on the icon in Oculus home, the mirror window starts and it looks like it's loading, then it closes with no error msg and I'm back to the original oculus home screen :/

Any ideas? It had been running fine all day. Done usual things, reboot etc. Elite dangerous and all other oculus apps/games run fine.

Win 7 64bit, 980TI, Oculus 1.4, newest Nvidia drivers, thrustmaster wheel. I also deleted my save game, and the graphics xml file, starting project cars recreates a new xml, still closes with no error msg.

I also don't see an option to at least verify the files if the install has become corrupt. 40 gigs so don't really want to download again.

Cheers

Sankyo
31-03-2016, 07:28
Hi Everyone,

I purchased and setup Project cars last night, was running perfectly in VR except my force feedback.

Finally got my wheel setup but Project cars now won't load, I click on the icon in Oculus home, the mirror window starts and it looks like it's loading, then it closes with no error msg and I'm back to the original oculus home screen :/

Any ideas? It had been running fine all day. Done usual things, reboot etc. Elite dangerous and all other oculus apps/games run fine.

Win 7 64bit, 980TI, Oculus 1.4, newest Nvidia drivers, thrustmaster wheel. I also deleted my save game, and the graphics xml file, starting project cars recreates a new xml, still closes with no error msg.

I also don't see an option to at least verify the files if the install has become corrupt. 40 gigs so don't really want to download again.

Cheers
Does the game start with the wheel disconnected?

Flex1978
31-03-2016, 09:13
Does the game start with the wheel disconnected?

Thanks for the reply, I had found on google that some wheels had issues with starting the game. I unplugged the wheel but unfortunately the sim still won't start... THe wheel is completely disconnected from my machine

The strange thing is the problem started when I first plugged in the power supply for my wheel. could there be a configuration file that needs to be deleted?

Sankyo
31-03-2016, 10:12
Do Thrustmaster wheels have a profile/configuration application that may or may not start once a game is started, similar to Logitech Profiler?

Flex1978
31-03-2016, 10:29
Nothing like the logitech Profiler, just some basic software to check the FFB settings. I have already removed the software, no difference. What is frustrating is that no error msg occurs, the intro screens loads and then goes blank and closes, literally just a few seconds.

Surely a log files exists somewhere that I can check or upload to support?

Thanks for you help

Sankyo
31-03-2016, 10:38
Nothing like the logitech Profiler, just some basic software to check the FFB settings. I have already removed the software, no difference. What is frustrating is that no error msg occurs, the intro screens loads and then goes blank and closes, literally just a few seconds.

Surely a log files exists somewhere that I can check or upload to support?

Thanks for you help
See if there's any recent folder in My Documents/Project CARS/dbgSession. If so, zip and attach it to your posting.

Not sure what particular problem could cause the program to just close. Doesn't Windows have some sort of error logging? If it's something driver-related, for example, it might show up there. I have a suspicion it's something related to the graphics driver, but it's not really based on anything solid right now.

Another thought: maybe anti-virus or firewall are interfering?

Flex1978
31-03-2016, 11:25
I'll check for the file and zip it up. No firewall or Anti virus, the game was running fine on the latest Nvidia drivers, I was blasting along the California highway in a Zonda.

Edit - I was just about to record a video to demonstrate, the game is now starting. I'll carefully recreate the steps and plug my Wheel back in.

Flex1978
31-03-2016, 11:27
Ok, I managed to capture it on Camera. The game started fine, I plug in my wheel and the game doesn't crash. In options it has an xbox controller selected. If I click to select my logitech controller the game closes to the desktop. Ne error msg.

Reloading the game now causes the original problem. My Wheel is a Thrustmaster F430 Force feedback.

Should I upload the video?

Sankyo
31-03-2016, 11:46
Ok, I managed to capture it on Camera. The game started fine, I plug in my wheel and the game doesn't crash. In options it has an xbox controller selected. If I click to select my logitech controller the game closes to the desktop. Ne error msg.

Reloading the game now causes the original problem. My Wheel is a Thrustmaster F430 Force feedback.

Should I upload the video?
What Logitech controller are you talking about? If you have some sort of Logitech controller plugged in, the problem could be related to Logitech Profiler starting up when the game is started. The solution for that is usually to have Profiler running before starting the game.

Flex1978
31-03-2016, 12:01
Sorry I meant to type 'select my Thrustmaster wheel', not logitech controller. I steer with a wheel not a joystick.

Here's the vid - Skip to the last 20 seconds. You can see the options start with Xbox controller, selecting a wheel causes the game to crash.

As mentioned, the game now wont start at all. I'll have to delete config files and unplug the wheel to get back into options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYBjQmWFSK0

Sankyo
31-03-2016, 12:46
Please attach the requested most recent debug folder from My Documents/Project CARS/dbgSession, there might be a hint in there what's causing the crash.

Flex1978
31-03-2016, 13:21
Zip file attached.

Cheers

Bealdor
31-03-2016, 13:25
It's pointing to the pid.dll which belongs to the controller.
What USB port is your wheel connected to? If it's USB 3.0 please switch to a USB 2.0 port.

Bruno Alexandre
31-03-2016, 13:31
Zip file attached.

Cheers

Are you using a OSW wheel or Accuforce? The crash is pointing to the problem being at Windows\System32\pid.dll(0)

What other controllers you have connected to the computer ? (even if unrelated to pCARS or not being used at the moment)
Any controllers you used to have that might have drivers still running on your pc ?

Flex1978
31-03-2016, 13:45
I am using a standard Thrustmaster F430, no exctra software. I do have my full HOTAS setup for DCS/Elite dangerous.. No way am I unplugging all that gear just to get a racing sim running. THe Hotas doesn't have any additional software running.

The video clearly shows an issue with Project cars itself. Asseto Corsa, Eurotruck etc run fine with the wheel plugged in. Project cars seems to have an issue if the wheel is powered, once I delete the settings it will start, as soon as I power up the wheel and try to select it the game will crash.

I believe the reason it worked previously was because the wheel was only powered through the USB (no force feedback) Once I fully power it up through the mains, the game will crash.

Bealdor
31-03-2016, 13:51
I am using a standard Thrustmaster F430, no exctra software. I do have my full HOTAS setup for DCS/Elite dangerous.. No way am I unplugging all that gear just to get a racing sim running. THe Hotas doesn't have any additional software running.

Well, the game obviously won't work with multiple controller devices connected. I fear you'll have to unplug the HOTAS to make the game run with your wheel.

Sankyo
31-03-2016, 13:56
The pid error is an indication of a controller conflict. Issues with Saitek controllers have been reported before, so it's very possible that this is causing the game crash problem.

Flex1978
31-03-2016, 13:57
Well, the game obviously won't work with multiple controller devices connected. I fear you'll have to unplug the HOTAS to make the game run with your wheel.

The game was working fine with multiple controllers, same deal with every other racing game I own. When have you heard of a game crashing because you have more than one controller plugged in? I've been playing racing and flight sims over 10 years. You simply assign whatever axis you need, the sim will ignore unassigned axis.

Edit - Ok if this particular game is sensitive to multiple controllers then I'll have no choice, is there anyway I can report this as a bug. In all fairness the devs can't expect people with sim setups to start plugging unplugging various controllers just to get a single game running. It's not something I ever experienced with other simulators, I am not new to simpit setups or racing/flight simulators.

Anyway thanks for your help everyone. I'll test and see if this solves the issue.

Sankyo
31-03-2016, 13:59
Could you unplug the HOTAS once and confirm that it solves the issue? That would give the devs something to work with.

Flex1978
31-03-2016, 14:04
Will do sir

Flex1978
31-03-2016, 14:20
Unplugged everything except the wheel, the game still won't start. Unplugged the wheel, game starts.. I can flick through game controllers etc with the wheel unplugged, no crashes.

That's as far as I've got. I'll try selecting the wheel in options, then try plugging the wheel in.

Flex1978
31-03-2016, 14:43
Well it's still crashing despite unplugging all other devices. I am able to get further into the game due to a work around, keep the wheel unplugged, go into menu and select the F430, exit out and plug in the wheel. Game will start, as soon as I try to assign the steering axis (Rotate the wheel) The game crashes.

think I'll give up for now.

Sankyo
31-03-2016, 14:57
This may be a Thrustmaster driver conflict/error. Please try to uninstall and re-install it. Possibly with the HOTAS unplugged, just to make sure.

Flex1978
31-03-2016, 15:30
Ok so fingers crossed it seems to be working, I ran a driver cleaner, removed all traces of the F430 drivers. Tried the current drivers again and had the same issue, another clean install, tracked down some older drivers from a website. The game is allowing me to setup up the controller with no crashes.

Thanks for the awesome support. If it does screw up again I'll pick up another wheel on my next business trip.

Cheers

Mad Al
31-03-2016, 19:06
This has come up before as an issue with the latest Thrustmaster drivers and the pid.dll error

Smoovone1
01-04-2016, 19:56
Please attach the requested most recent debug folder from My Documents/Project CARS/dbgSession, there might be a hint in there what's causing the crash.
I'm having a similar issue. I just received the consumer version of oculus rift but when I click start the game just sits at the please wait screen in the headset but it starts playing on the monitor.... I'm desperate to play this game, can you hep me? I can't understand why it won't show up in the headset

cbdrift
01-04-2016, 22:53
I'm having a similar issue. I just received the consumer version of oculus rift but when I click start the game just sits at the please wait screen in the headset but it starts playing on the monitor.... I'm desperate to play this game, can you hep me? I can't understand why it won't show up in the headset

check your steam properties for project cars (right click properties) and untick the "use desktop game theatre when steam vr is active" that got project cars running in vr on a dk2 with runtime 1.3
after that when i run project cars i get the oculus home "look at this text for 2 seconds or hit a on your controller" and it fires straight up in glorious vr
ive ruined my laptimes looking at all the eye candy and i have it running in 1920x1080x120hz (cant get 75) and have lots of details turned on and set to medium on my setup (4ghz cpu and gtx 780ti nvidia)

hope this helps you a bit in your quest to get it running

Smoovone1
02-04-2016, 23:15
check your steam properties for project cars (right click properties) and untick the "use desktop game theatre when steam vr is active" that got project cars running in vr on a dk2 with runtime 1.3
after that when i run project cars i get the oculus home "look at this text for 2 seconds or hit a on your controller" and it fires straight up in glorious vr
ive ruined my laptimes looking at all the eye candy and i have it running in 1920x1080x120hz (cant get 75) and have lots of details turned on and set to medium on my setup (4ghz cpu and gtx 780ti nvidia)

hope this helps you a bit in your quest to get it running

Im running the oculus store version, Not the steam version,,..any ideas?