PDA

View Full Version : wife/kid friendly wheel stand - any ideas?

steve1977
02-04-2016, 19:50
Hope you guys don't mind me asking this for a first post but I love driving games, have just brought a steering wheel and the final phase will be to get Project Cars and drive on (badly).

Recently brought a Logitech Steering Wheel but I don't have anywhere to put it! We do have a nest of tables with the largest being suitable - but this has already been claimed. But before I purchase another set, does anyone have any other ideas?

I will be sitting on the floor so I don't need it to be that height, but something which is mobile would be awesome (like an ironing board) and so could be put away behind a sofa or whatever. Failing that, any ideas on table which are inconspicuous.

Appreciate any help :)

ChuckWagon
02-04-2016, 20:57
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?46265-Farmers-Special-Wheel-Stand

JudgeNutmeg
02-04-2016, 21:04
Hi there,

I know you mention you would be sitting on the floor but have you looked at the Playseat Challenge? Like you I bought a Logitech wheel and needed something to mount it on and went for the Playseat Challenge. I don't have room for a full rig elsewhere in the house and needed something I could put up and down easily as I wasn't allowed anything permanent in the living room!
I was originally going for a wheelstand but saw some reviews of the Challenge and went for that. It solves all of the problems, you leave your wheel and pedals attached to it and it feels great.
It's pretty comfortable and also gives a bit more immersion being a "cockpit". It is so easy to out up and take down - from turning off the playstation to sliding the fully folded Challenge back under the stairs can be done in less than 1 and a half minutes.( my record as timed by the wife was 70 seconds!) It folds down narrow enought to slide under a bed or possibly even behind a sofa. It is really well designed for those that don't have much space.

I'd certainly suggest taking a look at it, plenty of videos on Youtube ( I think Inside Sim Racing did a review of it and they liked it)

Let me know if you need any further info on it

steve1977
02-04-2016, 21:16
Hi there,

I know you mention you would be sitting on the floor but have you looked at the Playseat Challenge? Like you I bought a Logitech wheel and needed something to mount it on and went for the Playseat Challenge. I don't have room for a full rig elsewhere in the house and needed something I could put up and down easily as I wasn't allowed anything permanent in the living room!
I was originally going for a wheelstand but saw some reviews of the Challenge and went for that. It solves all of the problems, you leave your wheel and pedals attached to it and it feels great.
It's pretty comfortable and also gives a bit more immersion being a "cockpit". It is so easy to out up and take down - from turning off the playstation to sliding the fully folded Challenge back under the stairs can be done in less than 1 and a half minutes.( my record as timed by the wife was 70 seconds!) It folds down narrow enought to slide under a bed or possibly even behind a sofa. It is really well designed for those that don't have much space.

I'd certainly suggest taking a look at it, plenty of videos on Youtube ( I think Inside Sim Racing did a review of it and they liked it)

Let me know if you need any further info on it

blimey, this looks absolutely quality. Like how it detaches too! Quite ingenious, sadly though I wouldnt have the room I'm afraid.

Cheers too ChuckWagon , I have a feeling I might be able to find what I'm looking for on this fine forum. If anyone has any further suggestions though then keep em coming!

Emilio
02-04-2016, 22:48
take a look at the wheel stand pro V2. Depending on your budget this may work for you. I have it ant it works great, adjustable up, down, tilts to and away from you and the base the wheel servo sits on also tilts. It folds down so you can stand it against the wall behind a couch or corner. Don't take the seat into account for size and space as that is something that I added. It is not attached to the stand. Here is a pic of my setup. The stand is very solid.

Roger Prynne
04-04-2016, 13:07
It's going to be very strange sitting on the floor with a wheel though (don't you think)
What wheel is it and does it have FFB?

pr0j3ct
04-04-2016, 14:22
Thrustmaster T300 RS, if i'm not mistaken.

Salty Dog
05-04-2016, 13:38
Hi mate, check out the fold up GT Omega stand,(GT Art in Aus) it has the attachments to make a full rig later, its very stable, fully adjustable, bullet proof and well under $200, its a lot better than having a pole between your legs imo and a lot more stable, cheers

chickano
05-04-2016, 13:43
build your own collapsable wheel stand from wood for 30 quid. I did , it folds up and goes under the sofa. Google it, there are hundreds of ideas and plans out there.

chickano
05-04-2016, 13:51
http://buildawheelstand.blogspot.ie/ for a start. I found a thread on gtplanet that had 64 pages of designs but i can't locate it now

wyldanimal
05-04-2016, 15:18
Build a Lap Stand.

Similar to this...

you will Sit on the frame to give it support..

Can Be a "T" with the Center Upright Between your Legs, or a Square like Shown.

Since you said Logitech Wheel.
The Pedals can use the carpet gripper, or you can add a pedal support so it's Angled Similar to an F1 Style.

WizardOfOz
05-04-2016, 16:11
For my money it has to be , i love this as it folds up and hides in a closet with wheel and pedal attached

https://gtomegaracing.com/wheel-stands/gt-omega-steering-wheel-stand

And i planned on upgrading it a year later (which is now), so i have ordered the rear seat last month and the rear frame will be ordered this month
(the seat fully reclines. so i should be able to store it flat also )

The storage is the key to wife friendly ;)

Emilio
06-04-2016, 00:37
It's the thrustmaster t300rs....it will stick out a little when folded with the wheel pointing up, but the plate the base sits on can be tilted also...you will be able to make it a lite more compact...won't fit under a bed or couch but up against a wall behind the couch...or even stand it in a closet if one is nearby your play area...the wheel has ffb