PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Triple screen PC Build

Old Racer
04-04-2016, 04:22
Fellow Racers
I am looking to build a triple screen capable PC ( Top end performance ). Will probably run it single screen till I get the racing rig and other screens set up. I have read several of the threads on the forums so far but none really describe a complete package spec. Presently running Pcars on an old rig ( Don't ask ... too embarrassed to say the spec ) on minimum settings. I want to make sure the spec can handle Pcars2 and the " Next Big Thing " in Sim racing when it hits. I know this is asked all the time and apologize if I am posting in the wrong spot but if you have any info, spec's or links to some info or Sim racing rigs that will help it would be appreciated. Total Budget is $10k .. as long as the wife does not miss the grocery money : )

Many Thxs ... Old Racer

snakehands
04-04-2016, 06:21
Why, at the dawn of VR, are you bothering with triples?

But anyway, the Playseat Sensation is a very nice looking and feature packed rig. Free shipping world wide

cluck
04-04-2016, 08:43
Running pCARS on triples is going to need some beefy hardware - especially if you plan to go 4K on each of them. I would focus the spend on GPU and CPU, going for as fast and as much as your budget allows.

If you're thinking of triple-4K monitors then you should realistically look at Titan cards, as you are going to need LOTS of VRAM.

Mad Al
04-04-2016, 09:33
Running pCARS on triples is going to need some beefy hardware - especially if you plan to go 4K on each of them. I would focus the spend on GPU and CPU, going for as fast and as much as your budget allows.

If you're thinking of triple-4K monitors then you should realistically look at Titan cards, as you are going to need LOTS of VRAM.

You may want to wait till tomorrow.. the GPU Technology Conference starts and there should be info about Pascal and it's release date (hopefully not a paper release but actual hard release)

Mascot
04-04-2016, 09:53
Why, at the dawn of VR, are you bothering with triples?

Maybe because there are currently too many compromises with VR..?
Triples currently appeal to me more than VR, but gen 2 HMDs should hopefully have most of the issues sorted.

ARNAGEist
04-04-2016, 10:01
I'm Running Pcars on 3 19inch Dell Ultrasharp ( v old but still ok) using Eyefinity at 4000 x 1000(ish) with reasonably high settings and getting 80fps on this setup. nothing really recent but it works, I did recently try a high spec single 26 inch monitor and hated it :confusion:
I will get a RIFT though when the price drops

I7 4770K (slighty overclock)
Asus P5Q Motherboard
8GB Patriot Black Mamba 2133 Mhz ram
Windows 10
Sapphire R9 280 (slight overclock)
Samsung 840 series pro 256GB SSD

One of the biggest issues I find with Pcars and triple screen is the menus, if I increase the Bezel compensation too much to read the menus and the setup sliders it affects the in-car view which isn't great.
I would love to find a way to adjust the menu screen to the right or to the left or even smaller as the car setup sliders sit right on the bezel join and I can't see them properly.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
04-04-2016, 11:37
Maybe because there are currently too many compromises with VR..?
Triples currently appeal to me more than VR, but gen 2 HMDs should hopefully have most of the issues sorted.FWIW, even if I had all the VR headsets in the world I'd still want to have at least three monitors just for everyday computing. =)

ELAhrairah
04-04-2016, 17:33
Advise:

Buy the mounting for the screens and the seat seperate. Many sim sets with screen mount attached to the seat tend to shake a lot due to ffb forces and therefor shake the screen . You dont want this.

Have a good look for deals. Sometimes shops sell 3 screens for the price of 2 .

Fps is master. So a good gaming screen has a high refresh rate hence a higher fps capacity. Look also at the response rate of the screen. This is almost as important as the refresh rate.

Invest a new gpu that is a first in its model. So you can enjoy the gpu gor a longer time because it has a longer lifecycle. Update ypurself on this by reading gpu informative websites.

Invest in a good cpu. Overclocking is always better for the lifecycle of your pc so go for an overclockable cpu.

Buy good pedals and a good steering wheel. If you have the dough go for a direct drive. I personally own a accuforce pro and it is the last steering wheel
I will ever own.

When buying the sim rig itself think about the future: do you at a certain point want to add motion to the rig ( yes you want this ;) ). So buy a rig that has a capacity for improvement in the future.

Stay away from rigs that have a pole in the middle ypu have to put your feet between. They suck!

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
04-04-2016, 19:43
Fps is master. So a good gaming screen has a high refresh rate hence a higher fps capacity. Look also at the response rate of the screen. This is almost as important as the refresh rate.Personally I'd rank both refresh rate and input lag above response time, at least within reason. High refresh rate is a massive bonus, and I simply don't think anyone should get any screen that has a higher input lag than 20 ms (or more accurately I don't think any company should make them in this day and age when it has been shown to be entirely possible for any screen technology at any resolution to do better), but response time affects ghosting more than anything, and doesn't have to be in the 1-2 ms ranges, just about any monitor can hit 5 ms these days and that's enough to keep ghosting mostly in check.

Finding out stuff about input lag of various screens can be very difficult, but there are some resources that can help, http://displaylag.com is a great repository of screens tested with a purpose built absolute-lag tester, and you can try to search the internet for tests of various monitors and add the keyword "bodnar" into it, to see if they've used a bodnar tester. Be careful with sites that use camera based comparison methods, the simple methodologies are often out by +/- 40 ms and even the best methodologies can easily be off by 10 ms. They also assume that CRT monitors they use for comparison are input lag free, which isn't really true. CRTs have very low input lag, but modern LCD monitors have been recorded to have at times negative input lag when compared to CRTs, which basically just means that the CRT had more input lag than the LCD. However with an absolute lag tester no screen has yet been measured to hit below 9 ms (with the exception of some OLED screens running a special display driver, usually in Linux, that circumvents some safety margins built into normal display signals, achieving results closer to 6 ms). Your aim here would be to hit 16 ms or under, which is the "1-frame lag @ 60Hz" point.

Agree 10000% with screens that are attached to the rest of the base, they're very susceptible to shaking, and having a metal pole between your legs while racing is silly. =)