PDA

View Full Version : Patch 10.1 and patch breaking cycle

hophans
06-04-2016, 10:07
So I have been using Project Cars since day one of the public release and spend a good amount of time making tools aimed at online leagues, building hardware dashboard and so forth.
In the update time there have been some short comings but to be honest they haven’t affected me to much.

Most of the things that tend to break when a new update have been released have been minor or non existent to me so i tend to neglect them but lately they have seem to escalate rather heavily.

I have now come to a point where I can no longer sustain support for leagues due to short comings in the gaming software as well as the free server software. Unless this are to change in the near future I will unfortunately have to leave Project Cars as a game and development platform.

The amount of servers along with the web front end i offer works rather well but the fact that more and more things are breaking in the game makes it close to impossible for me to supply prober support.

Latest breaking includes: No player names, broken resolution, broken leader boards (End results doesn’t reflect where people actually finished), and that is just from the latest 10.1 patch.

On top of that the chat function haven’t been working for months, wheel input stop working when entering online lobby, etc.

TLDR;
I am not a type that complains over the small things but I am feed up.
Most of the people that was racing in leagues are leaving in an increasing rate and i must admit that even though i only play one computer game, i am on the verge of leaving it for good.

This is not meant as a rant but feedback to whom ever at SMS cares to read it.
If you want to react to this thread i encourage you to be objective.

Hamdridge
10-04-2016, 13:44
As a slightly drunk hamster lover once said, it'll all be fixed in Pcars 2 :P

haydnbuzz
10-04-2016, 18:34
I can certainly understand your frustration and your feelings look like they are certainly shared to a certain extent by other devs given the limited activity on the third-party apps board. It must be infuriating to put your time and effort into producing work only for it be be rendered useless as a result of an update.

I'm no developer but to the lay person my perception is that SMS are severely lacking skills in some key areas. They've produced something fantastic for me in the actual graphics and physics but as you mentioned it's severely let down by some very important details. I've previously posted about the developers such as yourself taking the game single handedly where it needs to be. I'm not a massive gamer but I do own Arma 3 and their relationship with devs seems fantastic in that it's actively encouraged and supported whole heartedly and sometimes financially. The realisation that there's some real skill out there which can be utilised for the benefit of the community is advantageous in my opinion.

For me 10.1 broke Freetrack, something which I had come to rely on in the game, several people mentioned this in the release notes thread. I must admit having a chuckle when somebody suggested that it was likely to be fixed in a reasonable time span. It's my experience that SMS patch notes aren't comprehensive and there are indeed fixes here and there but I have little confidence. For me this doesn't put PCars 2 in good stead if the contempt for PCars issues are anything to go by which would be a great shame. I can't help thinking on the release of PCars 2 and when the inevitable issues occur the the official line will be "we can't implement that here wait for PCars 3..."

I really hope I'm proved wrong on the above but time will tell. I've tried several other titles recently and I don't rate the actual driving experience in any of them as highly as PCars. Had there been more focus on fixing the current issues in PCars I wouldn't have felt the need to look anywhere else and been happy to wait longer for PCars 2 whilst still supporting an existing title through DLC. Unfortunately that's not the case currently for me anymore. Racing games are fortunate in that they enjoy longevity and the fans are loyal if done correctly, for me the jury is still out on PCars.

AOD_Danneskjold
10-04-2016, 18:42
As it currently stands, Project Cars servers are broken on their end. Can't join a server. Can't create a server. STEAM is still up, before you ask.

neruxxx
10-04-2016, 23:50
As a slightly drunk hamster lover once said, it'll all be fixed in Pcars 2 :P

honestly that really sucks, it happened with battlefield 3 all the bugfixes and needed features (i.e. voip) were delayed and then they just skipped everything til bf4. it felt like most of the stuff and bugfixes were intended for bf3 but fuck it, lets make another game and let the other rot with glitched stuff (headglitches, clipping issues, blablabla) they still released tons of content and dlcs but that "its going to be included in the next iteration" policy sucks.
as a gamer i feel dissapointed. twice the same shit happened for me (battlefield and project cars) i support the studios and buy all of their content but things like this SUCK.

CPU M Rossi
11-04-2016, 00:51
honestly that really sucks, it happened with battlefield 3 all the bugfixes and needed features (i.e. voip) were delayed and then they just skipped everything til bf4. it felt like most of the stuff and bugfixes were intended for bf3 but fuck it, lets make another game and let the other rot with glitched stuff (headglitches, clipping issues, blablabla) they still released tons of content and dlcs but that "its going to be included in the next iteration" policy sucks.
as a gamer i feel dissapointed. twice the same shit happened for me (battlefield and project cars) i support the studios and buy all of their content but things like this SUCK.

so your saying everything should be fixed in the version before a sequel is released?
Here is the thing though, what if Project Cars can't be 100% fixed? or it takes 2 years to fix Project Cars?
Now to features offered in a sequel not offered in a previous version. Every program has limits on what can be done and what can't. So if Ian Bells says it can't be done, yes I trust that it can't be done. Also with any game at some point all the resources or employees will be switched over to focus on the sequel and this makes it so the next game can be hopefully better then the last. If you don't believe that look at Forza 4 & Forza 5, yes Forza 4 was fun & had a lot of content but Turn 10 was working on Forza 4 & 5 at the same time at one point and IMO both games suffered because they were working on two whole games side by side.
So yes not having things in Project Cars does suck but at the same point having new stuff in Project Cars 2 will be a good reason to buy Project Cars 2 :D.

Sankyo
11-04-2016, 10:21
As it currently stands, Project Cars servers are broken on their end. Can't join a server. Can't create a server. STEAM is still up, before you ask.

On whose end? SMS doesn't have any servers.

Hamdridge
11-04-2016, 14:51

It could be much worse. Gran Turismo 5&6 both promised a lot more features in both of them, and failed miserably. I get a few things were left out of PCars, but it still is a pretty solid game.
On a side note, even with most of the fixes, bf3 plays a lot nicer than bf4, aside from the silly suppression compared to bf4.

AOD_Danneskjold
11-04-2016, 15:12
On whose end? SMS doesn't have any servers.

Don't know, I hadn't ever seen this bug / glitch before. When steam goes down, the entire list goes down, you get kicked from the servers...

Steam was still up, servers that were already running were still up, but you weren't allowed to open a server, advance a server's session, or join a server.

We were in the middle of a 2-race League when this happened. We had to call off the 2nd race entirely.

neruxxx
11-04-2016, 16:51
It could be much worse. Gran Turismo 5&6 both promised a lot more features in both of them, and failed miserably. I get a few things were left out of PCars, but it still is a pretty solid game.
On a side note, even with most of the fixes, bf3 plays a lot nicer than bf4, aside from the silly suppression compared to bf4.
honestly they just need to add a bit of quality of life fixes, like a server filter i.e. dont show empty servers or show dedicated servers only..things like that. a netcode cleanup, mp suffers a lot and that disencourage players and new leagues.
i doubt they're not adding stuff due to engine limitations its very unlikely that they'll do a new engine for pcars 2, maybe a revision of the actual one.

ot: bf3 feels smoother and faster but the playerbase was butchered and now we only have those shitty tdm 64 noshar canals servers filled with 300 ping russian dao 12 noobs.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
11-04-2016, 16:58
i doubt they're not adding stuff due to engine limitations its very unlikely that they'll do a new engine for pcars 2, maybe a revision of the actual one.Not a 100% completely rewritten one, obviously, but very large portions of the game engine are under a rewrite even as we speak.

Hamdridge
11-04-2016, 17:49
honestly they just need to add a bit of quality of life fixes, like a server filter i.e. dont show empty servers or show dedicated servers only..things like that. a netcode cleanup, mp suffers a lot and that disencourage players and new leagues.
i doubt they're not adding stuff due to engine limitations its very unlikely that they'll do a new engine for pcars 2, maybe a revision of the actual one.

I agree about the server browser, although I generally tend to avoid public rooms, most of them are just full of rammers. It would be nice if we had a proper driver rating system, so it could find similar skilled drivers in public lobbies, but my current group are fairly close in terms of speed anyway, so that's not a major issue for now.
I've not that many issues with net from the game, rather it's hardware issues on my end that cause most of my disconnects, much to the amusement of others in the group.

Nats
12-04-2016, 13:09

Can almost guarantee that PC2 wont be as good as everyone is expecting and probably wont be as life changingly brilliant as PC1. Its almost certain that PC2 will feature oval racing and that will be its main selling point and although I do like oval racing a little bit its not something that grabs me greatly and its probably not something I would buy a new game for.

Honestly if I was to buy PC2 it would have to be for the introduction of AI mechanical breakdowns, if that isnt in the game I probably wont be buying it. Ever since I played Grand Prix 4 I have loved seeing the AI breaking down due to engine failures etc. And watching Motors TV just yesterday and watching a car engine blowing up its something that is a must for car games for me. I do miss that in PC1 the most of anything.

Sankyo
12-04-2016, 13:14
Can almost guarantee that PC2 wont be as good as everyone is expecting and probably wont be as life changingly brilliant as PC1.
Can I quote you on that after pC2 release? :)

Of course, if you're talking about no sim vs first sim on consoles, then that'll be hard to beat. Still, pC2 isn't going to be just a pretty update...

Doge
12-04-2016, 16:26
I am not expecting anything ground breaking. Just something that works as expected in all areas would be wonderful, but you sure have homework:

- Getting all the compounds behaving as expected (no useless inters or hard compounds, no Godlike soft tyres that kick ass even heavily overheated).
- Replays that are not completely broken.
- Decent engine and transmission damage for poor downshifting.
- I/M/O tyre temperatures that react properly to camber and pressure changes, and more pronounced effect for overheating.
- Pitstop lenght adapted per racing series in a much more precise way.
- Decent pitstop user interface -no more button mashing down the pitlane-.

I for one am really dissapointed a lot of these things aren´t rectified in the original game. I understand 100% that you probably need a sequel to get the tyre model problems corrected, but I really expected other stuff like replays or pitstops being fixed through the game cycle of the original game.

There´s a lot of stuff I´ve seen reported from day 1 -and heard about them being reported during development- and haven´t ever been solved. It´s criminal you still have to enter and leave sessions to get your steering ratio settings to save, or that you can´t end your last quali lap still today if the clock hits 0.