PDA

View Full Version : About track evolution

Doge
06-04-2016, 17:41
Iīve always been curious about how this works exactly in this game. Over the time I think I have spotted that with similar date and time of the day, the track ALWAYS gets faster as the sessions go by, even if they are skipped or donīt happen at all.

Example: you practice for an event in SP FP, doing some long runs and some quali sims. When the day comes, your qualifying attempts -even if theyīre just 2 or 3 laps vs 6 or 7 in practice- always get faster. Then your race pace is also faster than the equivalent practice long runs.

Not only that, there seem to be differences within the same session. The last minutes of qualifying somehow always produce faster laptimes. If you produce a couple of equal attempts in terms of getting the lap right, the last one seems to be faster by default.

Is this scripted? Is the track always better in a quali session than in FP, or does it only happen if there are actually cars out there?

AbeWoz
06-04-2016, 17:45
As this events go on, the track gets more "rubbered in" just like IRL. Thus creating more grip. Also, the tires are getting more worn in, reaching optimum temp, grip, etc. Brakes getting up to temperature, as well as the car getting lighter due to the fuel usage.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
06-04-2016, 19:35
AFAIK practice, qualification and race all assume a different base level of rubbering in (so even if you personally don't drive a session it is assumed that others have), and hence start at different levels. And indeed, as sessions progress the road does get more rubbered in, and reaches peak levels with the most grip during long races.

Doge
06-04-2016, 21:40
AFAIK practice, qualification and race all assume a different base level of rubbering in (so even if you personally don't drive a session it is assumed that others have), and hence start at different levels. And indeed, as sessions progress the road does get more rubbered in, and reaches peak levels with the most grip during long races.

Thatīs exactly what I wanted to know, thanks. It matches what I had sort of guessed but itīs nice to get confirmation from someone with much more involvement in the gameīs life cycle. :) Itīs sort of scripted but I guess it does its job!

I know itīs probably too much to ask but it would be awesome to get a game that finally simulates the lack of grip in the rubbered zones when itīs starting to rain. IRL you see cars avoiding their usual lines like a plague until the track gets properly wet and they simply look for the least wet parts again. Maybe next time around?

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
06-04-2016, 22:08
There is actually some disagreement on that subject, specifically that there's a good chance the rubber has little to do with it: http://insideracingtechnology.com/tirebkexerpt1.htm

The Myth of Off-Line in the Rain

We've probably all seen experienced drivers steer their cars off the normal line when cornering on wet pavement. The usual explanation is the normal line is slower in the wet because of oil and old rubber.

If there actually is more grip offline it's because the surface features are higher and more pointy than the more worn features on the normal line, providing higher deformation friction. This phenomenon is exaggerated by high-hysteresis compounds in racing rain tires. When dry the "line" is the fast way around that turn because it's shorter and has the biggest radius.

I've talked to several race drivers about this phenomenon and a couple of them pointed out that offline in the wet worked on dedicated racetracks and not on street courses. The reason for that is there is no "line" on a street course; the aggregate is worn everywhere by daily street traffic. But on a dedicated road course, 99% of the cars on the course are working the racing line and wearing the aggregate in the process. Off-line aggregate should be higher and more pointed.

Doge
06-04-2016, 23:28
l always heard it's a combination of used tarmac being less porous and rubber itself "filling holes" when laid down + oil surfacing. It's hard to dismiss the second part and point to tarmac wear alone when even on recently resurfaced or brand new racetracks -like Korea in 2010 when F1 went there- drivers still brake one car's width far from the line when the track is not properly wet yet but it's not bone dry either.

Sounds like something for Mythbusters! Luckily games don't need to worry too much, whatever it's down to, the effect you need to mimic is the same.

kevin kirk
06-04-2016, 23:40
does the track rubbered in effect tire over/underheating or does the rubbered in effect only grip?

Umer Ahmad
06-04-2016, 23:53
Well grip and scrubbing are factors in the tyre heating. So track rubber (or lack thereof) is a secondary contributor to tyre temps. It's all about how much stress are being put on the tyres. More stress = higher temps

BrightDark
07-04-2016, 19:47
Will the track "rubber in" if tire-wear is off?

kevin kirk
07-04-2016, 19:57
Will the track "rubber in" if tire-wear is off?.. don't know about that but I cant turn it off because the car acts so weird with it off. Its twice as jerky and darting around with it off.

Poulka
08-04-2016, 02:55
This is a good read. I have noticed this too.