PDA

View Full Version : Key for oculus store

steph2608
06-04-2016, 22:18
Hi :)

Sorry for my english, i'm french :S

How can i have a key for oculus store? I have all the dlc !

My steamID : BouffeMaDub

Thx.

Morgan Henstridge
06-04-2016, 23:47
Just fYI, No one has all the DLC yet as "Game of the Year" DLC has not been released on Steam.

Thug
07-04-2016, 13:18
Is there a way of getting a Steam key when you already own pcars on Oculus Home?
The reason I ask is that a few of my friends own it through Steam and I own it through Oculus Home and cant connect to them because the OH software wont let me.

cluck
07-04-2016, 13:35
Re. the OP, Morgan is correct, the Oculus Home version contains the same content as the upcoming Game of The Year edition, which contains all the DLC released to date plus the upcoming pack (Nürburgring combined circuit plus 2 Pagani cars). Until that pack is released, it will not be possible to provide an Oculus Home key. At least, that is my understanding of the situation. You should bear in mind :-

a) The Oculus Home version does not co-operate with Steam on multiplayer (see Thug's post and others from Stephen V from SMS confirming this)
b) Now that the Steam version has been updated, once you purchase the next DLC pack there will be little advantage in owning the Oculus version other than launching the game from the Oculus Store system :)

Re. Thug's post, I don't know whether there is going to be key swap possible, to go from the Oculus Home version to Steam. I will report the post so that a mod sees it and maybe passes it on to the devs for comment (Stephen V, from SMS, may have answered this already of course and I might have missed it).

Thug
07-04-2016, 15:02
Thanks for your reply Chuck.

I am loving the game so far, since buying it on the 2nd of April, but despite playing it daily have yet to find one other single person in multi player, never mind a full grid.
Ok, I can play with AI, but its not the same as playing against other humans (especially your mates).
I understand that the game is in its infancy via the Oculus Home, but it is an established game on the multi player scene through Steam.
It just seem strange (and a backward step) to not allow Oculus Home and Steam to play together, even though those who play it using VR on Steam can connect to Steam MP games.
I could understand that cross platforms could be an issue, but we are talking about PC to PC.

Silraed
07-04-2016, 15:48
It just seem strange (and a backward step) to not allow Oculus Home and Steam to play together, even though those who play it using VR on Steam can connect to Steam MP games.
I could understand that cross platforms could be an issue, but we are talking about PC to PC.

The main thing at the moment is that they are technically not currently the same version of the game. Hopefully once the GOTY edition is available on Steam they will be multiplayer compatible.

EDIT: Apparently there are server issues between the store fronts that I wasn't aware of.

crowtrobot
07-04-2016, 15:56
The main thing at the moment is that they are technically not currently the same version of the game. Hopefully once the GOTY edition is available on Steam they will be multiplayer compatible.
Doubtful. They have the same content (though it's not technically available to the Steam version yet); the incompatibility lies in the Steamworks integration for the MP on Steam, where it has to be a 3rd party solution for the Oculus Home version.

Thug
07-04-2016, 16:30
Doubtful. They have the same content (though it's not technically available to the Steam version yet); the incompatibility lies in the Steamworks integration for the MP on Steam, where it has to be a 3rd party solution for the Oculus Home version.

But surely its 'software' and simply comes down to programming (I say 'simply', although I am not a programmer at all, so don't really have a clue what is involved).
If they can make a game work on thousands of variations of computers all with different hardware, then surely they can make MP work together on just 2 platforms.

Bealdor
07-04-2016, 16:38
But surely its 'software' and simply comes down to programming (I say 'simply', although I am not a programmer at all, so don't really have a clue what is involved).
If they can make a game work on thousands of variations of computers all with different hardware, then surely they can make MP work together on just 2 platforms.

PCARS uses the Steam servers for MP. The Oculus version does not apparently.

Silraed
07-04-2016, 16:42
I wasn't aware Oculus Home had compatibility issues with Steam servers.

Oculus Home is an unnecessary store front that is only there to line their own pockets as much as possible, if it is segmenting playerbases then it is even worse than I thought.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
07-04-2016, 17:22
If they can make a game work on thousands of variations of computers all with different hardware, then surely they can make MP work together on just 2 platforms.Question is are they allowed to?

Thug
08-04-2016, 08:45
Good point.

Having said that, I also play Rainbow 6 which I bought through uPlay and join in MP games with my friends who bought theirs through Steam no problems at all.

Maybe they should state at the point of sale that you can not play against those who bought it on Steam (about 99% of users).

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
08-04-2016, 09:08
Good point.

Having said that, I also play Rainbow 6 which I bought through uPlay and join in MP games with my friends who bought theirs through Steam no problems at all.

Maybe they should state at the point of sale that you can not play against those who bought it on Steam (about 99% of users).Ubisoft uses their own servers for their multiplayer, much like EA uses their own. Hence why even Steam bought copies will work. pCARS on the other hand uses Steam's servers to do that, because SMS doesn't have their own servers for handling MP.

And don't the games still launch in uPlay even if they bought them from Steam? All of my Ubisoft games that I bought via Steam (various Assassins Creed titles, Trials HD and Fusion, various Splinter Cell titles, Far Cry games...) launch uPlay when I start them in Steam. That's actually an aspect of Ubisoft that even the Ubisoft developers hate, forcing uPlay on Steam users too.

Seeing the competition between HTC/Steam and Oculus, I wonder if that had anything to do with forcing the online server platform separation...

Thug
08-04-2016, 09:39
A couple of games I had already bought on Steam prior to Oculus Home coming out (like Radial-G and Time Machine), these games were release games on Oculus Home and to get them on OH home page I had to contact the developer and obtain a key free of charge for them.
Maybe pCars could do the same and give keys for Steam to those who purchased their game via OH so that they can play MP.

We don't really know who or what the stumbling block is as we are not being told.
Is it OH, Steam or pCars?

All I know, as an end user, I bought pCars because it was advertised as having multi play, yet I have not seen a single person on line in over a week, despite probably loads of people actually being online.

Not sure if the developers read these forums, but would appreciate an answer if they do.

Silraed
08-04-2016, 11:01
A couple of games I had already bought on Steam prior to Oculus Home coming out (like Radial-G and Time Machine), these games were release games on Oculus Home and to get them on OH home page I had to contact the developer and obtain a key free of charge for them.
Maybe pCars could do the same and give keys for Steam to those who purchased their game via OH so that they can play MP.

We don't really know who or what the stumbling block is as we are not being told.
Is it OH, Steam or pCars?

The thing with providing keys for different store fronts for free is that somebody is taking the hit to the bank in doing so. In the case of free OH game keys for games already owned on Steam it is Oculus (and possibly the publisher?) taking the hit but they are willingly to do so because they need to build a user base quickly or their pointless store front will collapse. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, I am just basing this off articles I have read.

It is also normal in these situations of negotiation for the player base to not be told what the problem is or what the stumbling block is. Don't want to be seen as trying to make the company you are in talks with look like the bad guy.

pCATS

Is this a new DLC?

Morgan Henstridge
08-04-2016, 11:10
Oculus are apparently providing "Royalty Free" keys for apps on their Home store. This is why there was talk of giving Steam users of PCARS with the same content (GotY), a key for Oculus Home.

I do not believe Steam provide Royalty free Keys, so this is why there has been no mention of giving Steam keys to people who buy the Oculus Home version. Giving away Steam Keys is costing someone as Valve still take their cut.

I wonder how long Oculus are planning on providing Royalty free keys. I would love to be able to buy a game in any of the online store fronts and then use it on any other service where the same game is available. Oh well, it's nice to dream :)

theleary
27-04-2016, 13:18
I understand the technical differences between the two system. I get that, what my beef is that I already paid for PCars through steam and now I'm being forced (penalized) to buy it on OH???? That doesn't seem right.

crowtrobot
27-04-2016, 13:26
I understand the technical differences between the two system. I get that, what my beef is that I already paid for PCars through steam and now I'm being forced (penalized) to buy it on OH???? That doesn't seem right.
Why would you buy it on Oculus Home?

Steam version has all of the functionality, with the benefit of more people in MP. Definitely not "forced" to buy it on OH.

Also, FWIW, EVE:Valkyrie is supposed to have cross-platform play between the Rift (OH) and Vive (Steam) owners, so it seems like it is technically possible to link the versions of the game.

cluck
27-04-2016, 13:56

Why would you buy it on Oculus Home?

Steam version has all of the functionality, with the benefit of more people in MP. Definitely not "forced" to buy it on OH.

Also, FWIW, EVE:Valkyrie is supposed to have cross-platform play between the Rift (OH) and Vive (Steam) owners, so it seems like it is technically possible to link the versions of the game.As crowtrobot has already replied and has been explained a few times before (in this thread and others on here), there is absolutely no reason that you have to buy pCARS on the Oculus Store. If you purchase the upcoming DLC pack - and have purchased all previous DLC - then your Steam version will be identical in content to the Oculus Store version.

SMS have stated that they are looking at the possibility of providing Oculus Store keys for those that have the game already on Steam (and own all of the DLC, including the one due for release on the 6th of May) but until they provide an update, you have to treat it as a "hope to" rather than "will do" (please feel free to correct me if I have this wrong).

I suspect most of this stems from a slightly tongue-in-cheek quip from StephenV on Reddit that "of course, if you want to buy the Oculus Store version as well, we won't mind ;)". That was between the Oculus Store version releasing and the Steam version getting patched (a period of 4 or 5 days IIRC). Of course, I also understand that people would prefer to have a single storefront to go to, rather than multiple ones, but until SMS provide an update, you can continue to play Project CARS with the Steam version, on your Oculus Rift :).

Regarding crowtrobot's comment about the EVE:Valkyrie cross-player support, I wonder if the devs run their own MP servers, which explains why it's possible? If not then yes, it might be possible but of course at what cost? If it requires a complete rewrite of the MP code and functionality, I can't see that happening :(.

EDIT : And in case it is missed in what I typed above, I'll type it again. The Oculus Rift (retail release and DK2) works with the Steam version of Project CARS. It was patched in, late on Friday evening, just a few days after the Rift released back at the start of the month.

crowtrobot
27-04-2016, 14:05
Regarding crowtrobot's comment about the EVE:Valkyrie cross-player support, I wonder if the devs run their own MP servers, which explains why it's possible? If not then yes, it might be possible but of course at what cost? If it requires a complete rewrite of the MP code and functionality, I can't see that happening :(.
Yeah, you're probably right. I didn't think about the fact that just because Valkyrie might be coming to Vive/Steam, doesn't mean it's using Steamworks for it's MP. Given their MMO experience, it's more likely that they're using their own 3rd-party solution for matchmaking/multiplayer which enable them to do cross-platform.

Sean Sullivan
02-06-2016, 21:22
I have Project Cars and about half the dlc on Steam... my friends bought the game on Oculus home so I can't multiplayer race with them. I too am wondering how to get a code for the oculus home ver so I don't have to buy the game again just to play with my friends... please help.

Lowe0
13-06-2016, 02:21
Bump for interest. I already bought the game twice (Steam + PS4) and all the DLC twice, so I'd rather get a key for Home than buy it a third time.

Tummie555
28-06-2016, 21:06
Bump for interest. I already bought the game twice (Steam + PS4) and all the DLC twice, so I'd rather get a key for Home than buy it a third time.

Exact same situation here, already bought full versions twice, so would be nice. As a long term console gamer we are used to the fact MP is divided by platforms, so the hope the superduper pcars developers gave us with their suggestions of a complementary OH-key is very appealing since it "doubles" the MP-playground area, even if the game itself is exactly the same. I think Oculus will be happy about it as well, more traffic.

rosko
03-07-2016, 11:15
Is the situation still the same for this game? Now the goty edition is out is it possible to get a key as i have all the dlc?

Incrediclint
23-07-2016, 05:49
I wasn't aware Oculus Home had compatibility issues with Steam servers.

Oculus Home is an unnecessary store front that is only there to line their own pockets as much as possible, if it is segmenting playerbases then it is even worse than I thought.

All store fronts are unnecessary. Do you really think steam should be the only storefront for games? Monopolies are never good. This is the kind of crap that happens when one service overtakes all others.

Look at it this way, steam COULD open up Steamworks so steam users could play with anyone and everyone even if those other people don't have steam. Keeping it the way it is is a really good way to be sure that multiplayer games are bought on steam, thus lining the pockets of valve/steam.

It's not that Oculus Home has compatibility issues with steam, it's that steam has compatibility issues with everyone else. Elite Dangerous uses their own servers rather then steam's, hence the reason oculus home users and steam users can all play multiplayer together.

Don't blame Oculus, SMS, or anyone other than Steam (and the users that helped to make steam so prominent).

The thing with providing keys for different store fronts for free is that somebody is taking the hit to the bank in doing so. In the case of free OH game keys for games already owned on Steam it is Oculus (and possibly the publisher?) taking the hit but they are willingly to do so because they need to build a user base quickly or their pointless store front will collapse. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, I am just basing this off articles I have read.

It is also normal in these situations of negotiation for the player base to not be told what the problem is or what the stumbling block is. Don't want to be seen as trying to make the company you are in talks with look like the bad guy.

Is this a new DLC?

Nobody is taking a hit, we're not talking about a physical product, it's digital. Dishing out a copy the game to a user that already purchased it costs them zero. Oculus would only be taking a hit if that person would have paid for the game a 2nd time, you can be sure that the number of people that would do that is extremely low.

Schadows
23-07-2016, 09:24
Do you really think steam should be the only storefront for games? Monopolies are never good. This is the kind of crap that happens when one service overtakes all others.

To be fair, Steam is already a corporate trust and frankly I haven't read a lot of people actually using it and being disappointed. They constantly add new features, the prices are good, etc.
Of course some of their technology is proprietary, but it cost money to develop and most of all, it cost them money to maintain, so I see absolutely no reason for them to distribute it freely for games who aren't running on steam.
It is the developer's choice to use Steamworks and not another solution. Of course in the case of project cars, since the game was using Steam early on (with VR coming a long time after that ... and the idea of an oculus store coming even longer after that), which as I said, as some kind of monopoly over the PC market, was a good choice at that time.

If the team had to develop their own frameworks and maintain their own servers, there probably would be less budget for the game content.

Silraed
23-07-2016, 10:06
Do you really think steam should be the only storefront for games? Monopolies are never good. This is the kind of crap that happens when one service overtakes all others.

Where on earth did I say that. Steam is far from the only digital storefront for games with GOG, Origin and the like out there as well. I stand by my opinion that there was no need at all for a seperate store front to go along with the Oculus hardware.

Nobody is taking a hit, we're not talking about a physical product, it's digital.

Whenever something is given away free it is coming out of somebodies pocket regardless if it is a physical object or something in the digital world.