PDA

View Full Version : This game and its wow moments.

Poulka
12-04-2016, 02:02
I give it to SMS for this game. I look at many things in this game, but can someone tell me a game especially on consoles that has the different phases of the moon in it. Now for some they might that's no big deal. But for those that have watched NASCAR over the years whenever the moon is out it seems to bring out the madness and desperation on the track. Especially the full moon, so I give it to SMS that you can see different moon phases, and the moon at different times even during some day races at appropriate time. This truly gives some very different race scenery and I love it. That's what makes this unique for me. Roaring down that straightaway and see a full moon in the sky magnifying the event.

poirqc
12-04-2016, 02:13
I was about to start a thread similar to yours. If you dont mind, i'll had my experience. You're right on this one. The times where you stumble on a weather that is gorgeous!

Banochbrea, mid evening, sunset barely topping the mountain. The scenery there! The mustang GT 2015. 30 min race, Fill the grid, start last, and move up positions. This car is that fun to drive!

I was lucky to get a nice MP race afterwards. RWD autostewed server, C1, 10 cars at start i think. Half of my freind list, half public. I fought all race long against other racers. All close and clean. 3 of us even exchanged position multiple times.

Thanks a bunch SMS.

Yorkie065
12-04-2016, 10:07
Silverstone, set to race day and about 19:00 with light cloud. Best sunset in the game I've ever seen and it looks amazing with flood lights just coming on around the track! Racing at that sort of time in GT cars is beautiful.

Other amazing moments in the game have been organised endurance races; 2.4Hours of Nordschleife and Le Mans, Silverstone 1Hour event with LMP1, LMP2 and GT3's.

Poulka
12-04-2016, 10:10
I agree with you this game brings into console racing what I want wanted for years. Sunset and sunrise moments are just jaw dropping. I did early morning race at willow springs and a few laps into race we came around a turn and right there you see the coming up on the horizon. It was like for several laps until it was fully up. I have had a racing game that gives me such experiences. You can take one track same cars, but have unique experiences every time. Just marvelous simply marvelous.

Poulka
12-04-2016, 10:12
I also agree Yorkie just did that last night the way the sun sets and the lights coming on at the track boy it added to race. This was same race in which the moon was out starting at dusk and lasting all race till night a thing of beauty.

Sloskimo
12-04-2016, 10:24
While I love the game and it does have its glorious moments, a lot of them actually... My most "wow" moments come when the FFB goes all jerky for no apparent reason, or the wheel disconnects online completely if you hover in the online browser for longer than 15 secs or so, when it happens I go like: "WOW!!! again?" It kind of overshadows the other wow moments after a year.

hkraft300
12-04-2016, 10:30
Was having a test session with a buddy a few months back at Bathurst. Time got late just before dusk and we ended up stopping up top of the hill to admire the scenery.
You should check out Monaco at dusk too.
Done other races where certain corners (approaching turn 2 Road America for example) when you're blinded by the sunlight, and you actually sh*t yourself hoping to make the turn blind.
Chasing a car (or being chased) within .5 seconds gap lap after lap and you're in the zone, full tunnel vision and all you see is tarmac and brake points.

ELAhrairah
12-04-2016, 10:33
Le mans 24hrs. The sunset at at the Indianapolis straight. The sunset at the Porsche curves...spot on

hkraft300
12-04-2016, 11:33
Thunderstorms and rain. At any track, any time of day just looks epic. Rooster tails and all.
Reckon the game looks fantastic on my old plasma on PS4 at 1080. Check out the screenshots thread.
I need 4k in my life...

Enkidu
12-04-2016, 11:50
Yeah, Le Mans 24 hours for sure. Although I've only played it as 2 real-time hours. The best moment is when, after driving through the night, the dawn breaks. Love that! :)

FS7
12-04-2016, 12:21
Personally, I don't like racing in the dark and I absolutely hate racing at sunrise/sunset with the sun on my face blocking my view, but I'm glad that SMS included full 24hr cycle in all tracks because I know a lot of people like racing at different times of the day.

Mascot
12-04-2016, 12:34
A dusk to dawn race at Silverstone Classic with a full grid of GT3s, and chuck a torrential thunderstorm into the mix halfway through. Racing nirvana.

Rambo_Commando
12-04-2016, 15:28
My "wow" moments happen every time I play the game.

beetes_juice
12-04-2016, 15:45

Night + storm conditions @ Nordschleife can give a few 'wow' moments.

amazed
12-04-2016, 16:40
Running my PS4 through an AV amp into a 4K TV and it looks amazing!

FS7
12-04-2016, 16:55

Night + storm conditions @ Nordschleife can give a few 'wow' moments.
Wow, you're so fast you caught a lightning :encouragement:

TheDoctor46
12-04-2016, 17:02
Personally, I don't like racing in the dark and I absolutely hate racing at sunrise/sunset with the sun on my face blocking my view, but I'm glad that SMS included full 24hr cycle in all tracks because I know a lot of people like racing at different times of the day.
And setting sun flare to 'subtle' (or the radical way 'off') didnt help there?

maurice-pascale
12-04-2016, 17:16
Willow springs 18 o'clock in summer time.....THIS IS HOW A DESERT SUNSET MUST BE.....you must try it

Mascot
12-04-2016, 19:36
A dusk to dawn race at Silverstone Classic with a full grid of GT3s, and chuck a torrential thunderstorm into the mix halfway through. Racing nirvana.

Shazbot. I meant 'dawn to dusk'.

Poulka
12-04-2016, 19:45
You guys gave me somethings I want to try. I love seeing the the storm clouds roll in. Someone mentions the sun glare in sunrise and sunset. It is doing those times I love the glare.

RomKnight
12-04-2016, 22:42
Many two hour races ELMS style but Donington night in the rain was something else. Even better than Le Mans race in that championship because of the amount of overtaking.

But when the wets thread is gone, the braking distances area mile long and you still have to avoid the GT3 traffic with a couple of laps to finish and the guy behind is pressuring you, getting to the finish line can be an herculean task.

It is exhausting but so rewarding :)

Lewis Puppy
12-04-2016, 22:48
Yes, I luv

Ryzza5
12-04-2016, 23:12
Late afternoon (sunset) with low/med clouds at Road America is pretty special, as is early morning + some fog at Nordschliefe.

poirqc
12-04-2016, 23:44
We should list dates and times, with the given weather, that make the set awesome.

Cheesenium
13-04-2016, 00:59
I never been an open wheel fan in most games but somehow, I love driving the Indy and Formula 3.5 in pcars. Been doing quite a few races on Silverstone with Formula 3.5, somehow that car felt like a perfect fit on that track.

Also, for reasons that I still dont really understand, I still find Group A to be really hard to drive. Did a race on Donington yesterday, I did really badly with these beautiful classics.

Rambo_Commando
13-04-2016, 03:47
I never been an open wheel fan in most games but somehow, I love driving the Indy and Formula 3.5 in pcars. Been doing quite a few races on Silverstone with Formula 3.5, somehow that car felt like a perfect fit on that track.

Also, for reasons that I still dont really understand, I still find Group A to be really hard to drive. Did a race on Donington yesterday, I did really badly with these beautiful classics.

Yeah, the Formula Renault 3.5 and Indycar are absolutely amazing on track. I really wish they had their own championship rather than being an invitational. Those two cars just feel right.

Poulka
13-04-2016, 17:14
I have to get used to Formula Renault they seem like a treat. Have to master those.

Jezza819
13-04-2016, 17:43
Many two hour races ELMS style but Donington night in the rain was something else. Even better than Le Mans race in that championship because of the amount of overtaking.

But when the wets thread is gone, the braking distances area mile long and you still have to avoid the GT3 traffic with a couple of laps to finish and the guy behind is pressuring you, getting to the finish line can be an herculean task.

It is exhausting but so rewarding :)

It's the gameplay that wows me more than anything. I'm pretty boring when it comes to weather because I run all of my 10 lap quickies at the same time of day in the dry. But I will sometimes get these races like I had two nights ago. Driving the Corvette at Silverstone GP. I started 22nd and got banged around pretty good the first lap trying to come through the traffic. Worked my way through and caught the leader's bumper about halfway down Hangar. I thought I had him passed coming out of Stowe but he was still on my left. We banged doors a little at Vale and he was still slightly ahead of me going into Club but I got a better exit and pulled along side. As we crossed the line I had no clue who won until my engineer came on the radio and said I won the race. I ended up winning by .055. Those are the kinds of moments that wow me.

RomKnight
13-04-2016, 17:56
Indeed, when we do races that look like hotlaps because the guy in front is constantly quicker and the guy behind is constantly slower and you just have to maintaining pace are boring as hell.

Poulka
13-04-2016, 19:51
I like to mix up my race times, this is part gameplay because it changes your handling characteristics. Which in turn changes my driving style, such braking patterns, acceleration techniques, and turning apex on acceleration. This game can me some challenges. I do laps varying from 8 to 20.

Sloskimo
14-04-2016, 08:22
On a more positive note from my previous post :) I was wowed when I realized after a bit of practice I'm more consistent and almost as fast or faster in the Group 5 cars with assists off and using the clutch vs having them on. SMS have implemented that nicely, these cars are actually easier to drive that way.

Hopefully there's a few more in Pcars 2, gotta love 80s material running similar laptimes to current GT3s, in the game anyway, not sure how that worked out IRL.

Rambo_Commando
15-04-2016, 02:19
I just started racing without the HUD...wow!

Poulka
15-04-2016, 10:15
I used to race without the HUD I am going to go back to doing that as well. It adds to the realism, because in most race cars you don't have access to things like that.

Jezza819
15-04-2016, 13:23
Late afternoon (sunset) with low/med clouds at Road America is pretty special, as is early morning + some fog at Nordschliefe.

I ran a race at 18:00 with medium clouds for the first time last night and now I see what everyone has been raving about. It was really spectacular the way the sun would peak through the clouds and cast shadows on certain parts of the track. I'm going to start varying times more in my races instead of running at the same time every time.

Poulka
15-04-2016, 20:50
Most of my races I set the anywhere from 6:00 to 19:00 with medium clouds, sometimes overcast to clearing it really adds to realism which what you might see on any given race day.

Sankyo
17-04-2016, 15:38
20 lap single-make AI race in the Corvette C7 at Willow Springs International, starting at 16:00 hours and at 10X time progression nicely going through sunset and into semi-darkness towards the end of the race. Awesome atmosphere and visuals.

Doge
17-04-2016, 16:56
The moment your wheel tries to destroy your hands when you exit a session and it starts turning full power on its own for no reason... WOW.

Roger Prynne
17-04-2016, 17:00
It was only a matter of time before someone posted a negative comment in this thread!

Poulka
17-04-2016, 20:06
@Remco This sounds like something in my wheel house that I must try. I think I will later today. What date did you use for that race?

Sankyo
17-04-2016, 20:07
@Remco This sounds like something in my wheel house that I must try. I think I will later today. What date did you use for that race?

Today's date. I also had clear to medium clouds at 10x progression.

Poulka
17-04-2016, 22:07
Thanks Remco getting ready to do that now.

Poulka
17-04-2016, 22:54
What can I say a truly remarkable race came through the field and led, but tires went away last lap last turn. The lighting was excellent. Love seeing the moon early in race then that sunset was an excellent backdrop for a grueling race. Great suggestion will run this again soon. Love that dusk lighting too.

TopAirspace
18-04-2016, 16:33
Guys somthing to try, either sunrise or sunset with light rain! The orange sunlight poking through the clouds makes for some awesome reflections, add to that the sunlight catching and highlighting the rooster tail of spray behind the cars!

Rambo_Commando
19-04-2016, 05:36
Radical RXC...wow....wow...and wow! Why I'm now discovering this car is beyond me. It's my new favourite road car.

Poulka
19-04-2016, 10:00
I will also give that a try TopAirspace. I have not done any rain during sunrise or sunset. The Radical is a fun car had great race in that car at the Glen a couple weeks ago.

cluck
19-04-2016, 12:38
To be honest, I've had so many wow moments, I've forgotten more than I can remember. The one that will always stick in my mind, however, was the first time that I had a 'sudden jolt back into reality'. It's quoted on the Project CARS testimonials, such was the profound effect it had on me at the time. It was an overcast day at Oulton Park and I was driving the BMW M3 GT, in glorious surround sound.

I headed out onto the tarmac at Oulton Park (a track I've driven in real life) and, for the first time ever in a driving simulator, I forgot I was sat on a chair in the comfort of my own home. So real was the combination of the visuals, audio and wheel feedback that I felt that I was right there on the track

It still makes the hairs on my arm stand up when I recall that moment. I didn't even have my Oculus Rift at the time, I was sat on an office chair looking at a monitor on a desk, yet I was utterly immersed in the sights, sounds and feedback, I was genuinely lost in the moment. I don't recall what snapped me out of it but for 2 or 3 minutes, I was back there at Oulton Park, with only the smell of melting rubber and oil missing. It was a truly breathtaking moment.

Since then, well, the one that still makes me laugh but gives you a real sense of how immersive the Oculus Rift is, was when I was in a league race last year. It was quite a warm day and my hands were getting a little sweaty. Instinctively, I moved my arm to try and cool it with the car's air vents. Yeah, that didn't exactly work. But it took me a couple of seconds to click why.

I have lots of wow moments in this game and it's one of the things that keeps me playing it almost every night. The first time I crashed at Bannochbrae and heard a cow moo at me in disgust. The first time I saw the sun setting at Dubai. The first time I saw the sun rise and slowly bring life back to the dark track. The first time I finished a clean lap of Nordschleife in the Mercedes 'Rote Sau'. The great thing is, there are still hundreds (thousands even) of "the first time I ..." moments I've yet to discover :).

tigerpaw11
19-04-2016, 14:12
Nordschleife, 6am, bmw1-series stancework m-coupe, Cockpit view, helmet cam, two weather slots, fog and hazy. Magic!

Zeeflyboy
20-04-2016, 00:43
Had a bit of a wow moment in Bannochbrae - beautiful view across the lake/loch/river and a flock of birds flying across....

I would love to see more wildlife in Project cars 2 - perhaps even a few rabbits and foxes to dart across the track on occasion ;)

FS7
20-04-2016, 15:00
This might sound weird but for me the biggest wow moment is realizing the even with all the bugs & issues PCars is still the best racing experience one can get on console.

cluck
20-04-2016, 15:04
Had a bit of a wow moment in Bannochbrae - beautiful view across the lake/loch/river and a flock of birds flying across....

I would love to see more wildlife in Project cars 2 - perhaps even a few rabbits and foxes to dart across the track on occasion ;)The first few times I drove Bannochbrae, I crashed whilst looking up at the birds in the sky :o. It's at times like these I wish I didn't have an Oculus Rift :D

FS7
20-04-2016, 16:30
The first time I drove at Bannochbrae I used a open top car (Formula C iirc) and drove slowly so that I could appreciate the view. Places like the lake, the bridge, and the town area are pretty interesting to look at.

Roger Prynne
20-04-2016, 17:00
Also at Bannochbrae try stopping at the cows or sheep and listen to them mooing and bleating :D

Mahjik
20-04-2016, 17:30
For those that have played PC sims of the past, this may make you smile.

I remember my first wow moment during development in WMD. It had to do with the 3D dynamic clouds. Those who have played the older sims remember that the skybox was always a stretched static image. It never changed, and always looked the same. You could actually use the skybox as track marks. A easy thing in the old sims was using the cloud marks in the sky heading up Rahal Straight (up the hill) to the corkscrew on Laguna Seca. You could use the skybox clouds for how to position car coming over the crest into the braking zone. I was running pCARS and had accelerated time going. I did a lap of Laguna and got my bearings, and then the second lap tried to the same thing... The clouds were NOT in the same place. Even though the dynamic clouds may seem like a gimmick, they really do add in to the immersion and realism that SMS achieved.

Poulka
20-04-2016, 21:23
Exactly Mahjik I remember how the sky would be the same all the time. This game the shaded parts of the track changes as the clouds move. Really adds to immersion of the game.

poirqc
20-04-2016, 21:40
For those that have played PC sims of the past, this may make you smile.

I remember my first wow moment during development in WMD. It had to do with the 3D dynamic clouds. Those who have played the older sims remember that the skybox was always a stretched static image. It never changed, and always looked the same. You could actually use the skybox as track marks. A easy thing in the old sims was using the cloud marks in the sky heading up Rahal Straight (up the hill) to the corkscrew on Laguna Seca. You could use the skybox clouds for how to position car coming over the crest into the braking zone. I was running pCARS and had accelerated time going. I did a lap of Laguna and got my bearings, and then the second lap tried to the same thing... The clouds were NOT in the same place. Even though the dynamic clouds may seem like a gimmick, they really do add in to the immersion and realism that SMS achieved.

I dated a girl who did that, a long time ago. It didn't gave fast laps, it gave accidents!

MAILERS
21-04-2016, 19:51
Oulton Park Island x20 laps, date - race date, weather 3 slots - medium cloud, hazy, clear. Weather progression 5x. Starting time 4:00am. Time progression 10x. Formula C, 19 opponents. Playing in 4K & just wow.

McClusky
22-04-2016, 14:44
Recently I was following an AI car (I can’t remember the tack) and it was hitting the curbs hard and getting a little airborne and squirrelly so I found myself watching this cars suspension at work for a few laps thinking how it looked like I was watching a real race from an in car camera. TOTALLY AWESOME!

hkraft300
22-04-2016, 18:11
So many tracks you could use shadows on track as brake markers as long as weather and time progression is turned off. But who does that lol flicking on multiple weather slots and changing time of day for races just because its pretty!
Speaking of suspension: take the Lotus 78 for a spin in cockpit cam.
Or the Lotus 49.
Especially the Lotus 49. You might just stop and stare at the steering wheel for a while.

FS7
22-04-2016, 21:31
Speaking of suspension: take the Lotus 78 for a spin in cockpit cam.
Or the Lotus 49.
Especially the Lotus 49. You might just stop and stare at the steering wheel for a while.
I'm not a fan of old cars but I agree that the cockpit view on Lotus classic cars is really impressive.

Shadowoff
22-04-2016, 21:39
One tip for all GT3 lover:

-use custom livery & grid tool and add 24h Nordschleife/VLN liveries to the grid
-race at Nordschleife
-use ultra graphics
-light rain
-7-8pm

The effect is real!

Rambo_Commando
24-04-2016, 05:01
There is an actual engine under the engine cover and it looks true to life. Good job SMS...once again WOW.

FS7
24-04-2016, 20:56
Batmobile patrolling the streets of Monaco. Online rammers beware!

Rambo_Commando
25-04-2016, 03:21
Batmobile patrolling the streets of Monaco. Online rammers beware!

I like the fact that there's a Canadian flag on that car.