PDA

View Full Version : What AI setting gives approx real times for tracks?

Nats
13-04-2016, 12:36
I know that the car AI varies on the tracks and all that, but which AI setting is truest to real life? I have been playing on around 70% and I found the 2 or 3 lead cars in the Clio Cup shot off like mad around Silverstone International - no way I could hope to catch them even on the straights never mind on the corners. I hate to think what they are like on 100%!

So is 100% AI strength true to life then? Or is it faster? Related to real times you would get in the Clio Cup for example.

And if 100% is related to real life does anyone actually play at that level? I am finding my car is generally sliding around a bit and around 70% I can just about beat 90% of the pack. How the heck to go faster? I think I am reasonably good at taking corners.

gregc
13-04-2016, 13:30
It varies a lot depending on the car/track combo - for example, I've spent a lot of time in the Clio at Brands Indy recently, and even at 80% the leaders are qualifying quite a lot faster than real life. At 100% they were something like 2 seconds faster than real life (over a very short lap). GT3 at Silverstone GP, on the other hand, I've found that 100% AI gives you pretty accurate qualifying and race times for the leaders.

As to how to go faster - I'm not quick myself, but I'd suggest going into Time Trial for the car/circuit combo your using, find a ghost that's a bit quicker than you and see where it's faster. Once you can keep up with that, try one that's a bit quicker again. Rinse and repeat....

Shadowoff
13-04-2016, 17:22
For GT3 is 100 AI real life. They drive a 2.17.8 (just the SLS, all other driving around 2.18) like in reality, same at Nürburgring, Zolder, Silverstone... Just not at Nordschleife... I saw a onboard lap driven by Dirk Adorf in the Z4 which was around 6.40-45 (there wasnt given a laptime, just stopped/started to count as he went over the line), while 100 AI just drives a 6.53 (was the fastest lap I ever saw at Nordschleife from a GT3 AI). But the AI is still quite slow. So much time to improve... Just cause they take pretty bad driving lines and have a slow setup...

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
13-04-2016, 18:01
I saw a onboard lap driven by Dirk Adorf in the Z4 which was around 6.40-45 (there wasnt given a laptime, just stopped/started to count as he went over the line)In a 24H of Nürburgring race a 12C GT3 did the Nords section in 6:30 flat, I'm guessing a full lap of just the Nordschleife would have been about 6:35.

Nats
14-04-2016, 13:01
Yeah I looked at the real Clio Cup times and they do indeed seem to coincide with 100% AI for example for Silverstone National real times were 1:14.something and the AI do exactly that time when set up on 100%. Too fast for me though I was getting 1:17/1:18! But on havinbg a look at some sample setups I have realised that the camber of all my tyres is the wrong way and my slip differential settings are completely wrong. So I will try again tonight and I might not end skidding all over the place this time. But so far 80% is the max AI I can race against and not get left behind. But its good to have something to aim for.

I did find though that when set at 100% the AI is overtaking you more than the other way around (as usually I get a better start than them and get a few places up from last), and as such you get hit a lot more from behind which is not fun - they dont go around!

When the AI is set lower you are generally weaving your way through the pack yourself (is you have a rubbish qualifying which is often the case) so its not so much of an issue. I have found though that with my new GT wheel as opposed to my joystick I am now constantly on pole with an AI of 60% which also isnt much fun either. I think that overtaking other people is far more challenging and interesting than either sitting out in front or sitting at the back.

So I guess I will probably settle on about 80% AI eventually for gameplay reasons. I like to play to enjoy the racing and overtaking and if I make a slight mistake I like to be able to catch up.

Otherworld
14-04-2016, 15:58
Tbh the reason AI times compared to real life vary so much depending on track/car combination is the fact that they never ever change default setup, even on extreme tracks like Le Mans or Monaco.

Shadowoff
14-04-2016, 16:58
Tbh the reason AI times compared to real life vary so much depending on track/car combination is the fact that they never ever change default setup, even on extreme tracks like Le Mans or Monaco.

Ye, but its kind of sad if you drive with less downforce and still faster in the corner than the AI...

Rambo_Commando
14-04-2016, 17:45
Although the AI is slow in general, at 100%, you can still have exciting challenging races. By that I mean race the AI as if you were racing actual people. Before I used to overtake the AI during braking, mid corner, in chicanes sometimes resulting in me eating dirt. Now I race them like an actual driver being selective where I overtake them just like real life. It makes the game more enjoyable for me.

Shadowoff
14-04-2016, 18:22
Although the AI is slow in general, at 100%, you can still have exciting challenging races. By that I mean race the AI as if you were racing actual people. Before I used to overtake the AI during braking, mid corner, in chicanes sometimes resulting in me eating dirt. Now I race them like an actual driver being selective where I overtake them just like real life. It makes the game more enjoyable for me.

The problem is that the AI brakes sometimes 10 metres before you break or break if you can go full throttle and even if you react fast you still crash into their back

Rambo_Commando
15-04-2016, 02:16
The problem is that the AI brakes sometimes 10 metres before you break or break if you can go full throttle and even if you react fast you still crash into their back

There is a very easy fix to that problem. Stop following or drafting the AI into corners. Back off the throttle and take a different line. If the AI is following you down the straight and catching you then let him by, you will have lots of chances to regain the position later in the lap. Defensive driving rewards you against the AI.