PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel rotation angles

antraxx25
16-04-2016, 19:33
My default setting is 900 but i know Formula cars have 360 or less (ex. 240?!)
What about prototypes,they have same in Formula cars,or like in GT and in other sport cars 900?
Someone could make a list what category which angles have?
Thank you!

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
16-04-2016, 20:45
My default setting is 900 but i know Formula cars have 360 or less (ex. 240?!)
What about prototypes,they have same in Formula cars,or like in GT and in other sport cars 900?
Someone could make a list what category which angles have?
Thank you!There isn't one single angle for any given car. It all depends on two things: The maximum steering lock and your steering ratio. The actual maximum steering wheel rotation is dynamically affected by these two, so for example a car with 20 degrees of wheel lock (from center to lock) and a 10:1 steering ratio would have 400 degrees of total steering wheel rotation, but with 15:1 steering ratio it'd have 600 degrees, on the same car. A car with 15:1 steering ratio (like most modern supercars) and 30 degrees of wheel lock (like most road cars) would have about 900 degrees of wheel rotation, but a road car with a quick ratio like the 1M that has in real life 12.5:1 ratio would have about 750 degrees of wheel rotation.

So it all depends on what the physical maximum wheel lock on the car is (which is limited by suspension geometry, fenders, wheel size, etc.) and the steering ratio you choose to use.

And FWIW, many Formula cars have way more than 360 degrees of total steering lock, they just never use it during a race, but it can be useful when going into and out of the garage, if the car can't be lifted on a trolley.