PDA

View Full Version : cockpit view queston

kevin kirk
18-04-2016, 01:59
What exactly goes into the decision to how low the seat can move when adjusting it? Alot of them are still so high I just cant see anyone thinking its got enough adjustment to it unless there is a reason it cant have enough adjustment to it. Not trying to complain about something that isn't going to happin or get changed,but I was wondering if there is a reason for this? Cars like the v8 supercar and now the merc gt3 car has cockpit views that are extremely to high because the seat doesn't have enough movement in the down direction.

Lukas Macedo
18-04-2016, 02:46
Maybe the driver model is a tall 1,90m guy.

kevin kirk
18-04-2016, 03:24
Maybe the driver model is a tall 1,90m guy.....He would have to be taller that to be that far off as some cars. Its more than I'm just a player that likes the driving view to be extra lower than anyone else. The seat adjustment for a lot of cars don't even get near that low for it to be a extra low seat. It just seems strange that after years of work and effort spent making the player feel like he is really driving a race car. To end it with leaving the player to constantly trying to ignore that he is suppose to be lower in the car seems silly. Options on top of options for every little detail in the game and then someone doesn't put near enough range in the seat adjustment movements so we feel like were setting on a stack of books when driving. There has to be a reason, I was just wondering what it was

Rambo_Commando
18-04-2016, 03:26
I've heard F1 drivers say that they have to lift and/or move their head forward the see over the nose. In video games you can't do this, hence the reason why the cockpit view seems a bit higher than real life. The game could benefit from a couple more clicks "down".

JessicaWalter
18-04-2016, 03:28
i hadn't noticed. i primarily drive open wheel tho. i go real close to as low as i can go but don't need it to go any lower as at the lowest i already have a difficult time seeing the track.

edit: for the reasons mentioned above in Rambo's post. i can turn my head left and right and up and down but cant extend my neck to see from a tad higher perspective

kevin kirk
18-04-2016, 03:32
I've heard F1 drivers say that they have to lift and/or move their head forward the see over the nose. In video games you can't do this, hence the reason why the cockpit view seems a bit higher than real life. The game could benefit from a couple more clicks "down"...its not even close though. Edit

Rambo_Commando
18-04-2016, 05:07
I think the same thing when I play F1 2015. The cockpit view in that game really annoyed me. Pcars is a bit better but you are right. Maybe vr headsets address this issue, idk. However, adjust the seat down to a realistic height makes the view of your feet strange in the formula rookie car. I know this from experience. The company I work for host charitable fundraisers at Mosport every year which I've taking part in 8 times. You raise $1500 and get to race a formula Ford for the day against 12-15 other entrants. I have good knowledge of this car hence the reason why I'm always driving it in Pcars. From my experience this is what I've noticed. The default cockpit view (formula rookie) in the game is way to high. If I adjust the "seat down" to what I know is realistic, from actually driving this car, then you see way too much of your feet in the game. I was never able to see the tip of my toes on the pedals driving the actual car. In the game, the relation between your head and feet through the drivers eyes seems ill proportioned.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
18-04-2016, 09:08
Yeah, I would like to have much more range in the cockpit view adjustments, on several (even road cars) you just can't get down low enough. Well, thankfully you can use the Ctrl-K trick on PC and PS4 at least.

havocc
18-04-2016, 09:30
Yeah, I would like to have much more range in the cockpit view adjustments, on several (even road cars) you just can't get down low enough. Well, thankfully you can use the Ctrl-K trick on PC and PS4 at least.

But settings done with ctrl+k won't save, like i said in another thread new dash cam in AC is a nice compromise between realism and visibility, it has to be said that irl open wheeler drivers have "3d" vision that is important for depth of field to correctly see distances

18-04-2016, 09:37
Probably the only thing I'd want from AC, aside from the "more road cars than racing cars" bias, is the onboard adjustments app that allows you to tailor the cockpit view of each car and save them separately. That'd be great...

IJerichoI
18-04-2016, 09:51
I think the same thing when I play F1 2015. The cockpit view in that game really annoyed me. Pcars is a bit better but you are right. Maybe vr headsets address this issue, idk. However, adjust the seat down to a realistic height makes the view of your feet strange in the formula rookie car. I know this from experience. The company I work for host charitable fundraisers at Mosport every year which I've taking part in 8 times. You raise $1500 and get to race a formula Ford for the day against 12-15 other entrants. I have good knowledge of this car hence the reason why I'm always driving it in Pcars. From my experience this is what I've noticed. The default cockpit view (formula rookie) in the game is way to high. If I adjust the "seat down" to what I know is realistic, from actually driving this car, then you see way too much of your feet in the game. I was never able to see the tip of my toes on the pedals driving the actual car. In the game, the relation between your head and feet through the drivers eyes seems ill proportioned.

I know on the PC you have key bindings for tilting the head up and down, wich would help. Also which FOV are you using? A high FOV value paired with a seat position relatively far back can also produce your described effect.

18-04-2016, 10:13
Yeah, the default camera is set to point slightly downwards so that the horizon is quite high up on the screen, you really should be using the adjust seat angle buttons to get it to where it's supposed to be, especially if you're lowering your seat.

And don't ask me why it's set to point downwards like that, I don't know, it's just a thing that racing sims seem to do. AC does it just as well, and so did rFactor.

Sankyo
18-04-2016, 10:16
Probably the only thing I'd want from AC, aside from the "more road cars than racing cars" bias, is the onboard adjustments app that allows you to tailor the cockpit view of each car and save them separately. That'd be great...

Did you put that in a pC2 Idea Tracker thread? :D

18-04-2016, 10:24
I might have, I'm not sure. Should make sure. =)

kevin kirk
18-04-2016, 17:45
Yeah, I would like to have much more range in the cockpit view adjustments, on several (even road cars) you just can't get down low enough. Well, thankfully you can use the Ctrl-K trick on PC and PS4 at least.....I'm looking around and seeing some keyboards that work on xbox one thur USB.... Before I go and buy them will I be able to have that free camera function? Is it just the lack of a keyboard preventing xbox to be able to do this,or is it just not built into the game making it impossible to do wether you have a key board or not? It would suck if I go and buy the keyboard they are offering now only to find the game itself wont let me adjust this.

kevin kirk
18-04-2016, 18:02
Yeah, the default camera is set to point slightly downwards so that the horizon is quite high up on the screen, you really should be using the adjust seat angle buttons to get it to where it's supposed to be, especially if you're lowering your seat.

And don't ask me why it's set to point downwards like that, I don't know, it's just a thing that racing sims seem to do. AC does it just as well, and so did rFactor.
....Havnt play assetta or rfactor but a far as project cars, A lot of the cars seat is still so high up its not possible for someone to see it and think its anywhere near enough adjustment down.

18-04-2016, 19:15
....I'm looking around and seeing some keyboards that work on xbox one thur USB.... Before I go and buy them will I be able to have that free camera function? Is it just the lack of a keyboard preventing xbox to be able to do this,or is it just not built into the game making it impossible to do wether you have a key board or not? It would suck if I go and buy the keyboard they are offering now only to find the game itself wont let me adjust this.No idea, sorry. All I know is that it works on PC and PS4. =/

....Havnt play assetta or rfactor but a far as project cars, A lot of the cars seat is still so high up its not possible for someone to see it and think its anywhere near enough adjustment down.Yes, very true. But that was relating to the angle adjustment keys, which help the situation where you're looking at your toes. =)

kevin kirk
19-04-2016, 02:00
I know on the PC you have key bindings for tilting the head up and down, wich would help. Also which FOV are you using? A high FOV value paired with a seat position relatively far back can also produce your described effect......... FOV is at 70. The only reason I have to angle the seat down so much is I'm trying to make up for the seat not moving down far enough. I also think the FOV doesn't really matter because some of the cars the seat will move down to were its suppose to. The irony of this issue is the frustration of the cars with this problem also has the up seat adjustment that is super huge.