PDA

View Full Version : Replays (once again)

Wolkenwolf
18-04-2016, 08:36
Yesterday i had some real nice fights. Two races, 15 laps close and clean racing with position swap here and there. Really great.
Open game, i've hosted both.
After that, i thought, get a beer and lets look at the replays.
Both replays completely broken. Cars standing at start, cars are complete missing, wrong position, sound is broken.

Can someone PLEASE fix this broken mess ? Please ? I like replays.

Sankyo
18-04-2016, 08:43
It's a known issue, but probably not going to be fixed.

Wolkenwolf
18-04-2016, 09:51
I know its a known issue, but do you know what i would tell my TV manufacturer if he tells me, we know EPG is broken, but we will not fix it ? ;)

Serious, whats that ? Are the DS replays working ?
I mean, its nice to have new cars and such, (Thx for that) but i would prefer to have working key features like replays and MP sounds.
In replays there are some values messed up, is that so complicated to fix ?

Sankyo
18-04-2016, 10:20
In replays there are some values messed up, is that so complicated to fix ?
Not sure what you mean with "some values are messed up", but the issue AFAIK is that if people join or leave during qualification, the race replay gets corrupted. That's not trivial to fix.

maurice-pascale
18-04-2016, 11:49
Not sure what you mean with "some values are messed up", but the issue AFAIK is that if people join or leave during qualification, the race replay gets corrupted. That's not trivial to fix.

Replays are also at singelplayer broken.....sound bugs, texture bugs and lag's......impossible to enjoy them when watching......its pain for eyes and ears.........there is just no interest to fix it.....and just to push those things forward to fix for pcars 2 is one of the badest things they could do.....but it seems that they just want to bring their second game......but there i must say, Pcars 2 MUST BE ABSOLUTE BUG FREE.....otherwise its just a money mashine

AbeWoz
18-04-2016, 11:52
Replays are also at singelplayer broken.....sound bugs, texture bugs and lag's......impossible to enjoy them when watching......its pain for eyes and ears.........there is just no interest to fix it.....and just to push those things forward to fix for pcars 2 is one of the badest things they could do.....but it seems that they just want to bring their second game......but there i must say, Pcars 2 MUST BE ABSOLUTE BUG FREE.....otherwise its just a money mashine

name me one game that 100% bug free......don't worry....I'll wait.......

gregc
18-04-2016, 11:54
but there i must say, Pcars 2 MUST BE ABSOLUTE BUG FREE.....
If you can show me a single piece of software, ever, that can fulfil that criteria I'll be amazed. There is simply no such thing. Even Windows Notepad has a known bug, and that's just about the most basic piece of software ever.

Edit - my first time ninja'd!

Sankyo
18-04-2016, 11:59
...there is just no interest to fix it.....
How do you know? Maybe there are other reasons why it cannot be fixed? Why would you think that SMS isn't interested in fixing their own game?

and just to push those things forward to fix for pcars 2 is one of the badest things they could do.....but it seems that they just want to bring their second game......
From a business point of view, pC2 must be in full development now. And putting a lot of effort and risk into fixing the replays in pC1 does not make much sense for SMS.

Ian Bell stated himself that he's not happy with the current state of replays in pC1, but fixing it is costly and risky. SMS still isn't a big developer so they need to spend their resources wisely.

18-04-2016, 12:25
Why would you think that SMS isn't interested in fixing their own game?

Yes they are not interested in fixing their own game. Why? Because they released the game knowing the replays are broken, and patch after patch there is no interest in fixing it. Now coming towards the end of support for this game there is 0 chance they are ever going to fix it. So they know from the very beginning that they're not going to fix it.

Why do I say this? Let me tell you. Many other people including me spend time reporting bugs, in my case alot of time spent testing to reproduce bugs in pictures & videos and reporting to forums about it. Why do I do this? because I love the game and would like to help improve it. Days turn to weeks turn to months and my hopes turn to disappointments, I can see there is no interest of fixing all the major bugs despite all the reports of them. So I gave up on this game and moved on to their competitors. Only reason I come back every now and then is because some friends are still loyal to this game, which they won't be soon.

Wolkenwolf
18-04-2016, 12:41
How do you know? Maybe there are other reasons why it cannot be fixed? Why would you think that SMS isn't interested in fixing their own game?

From a business point of view, pC2 must be in full development now. And putting a lot of effort and risk into fixing the replays in pC1 does not make much sense for SMS.

Ian Bell stated himself that he's not happy with the current state of replays in pC1, but fixing it is costly and risky. SMS still isn't a big developer so they need to spend their resources wisely.
What risk ? Its already broken to complete uselessness. Could it be worse ? It would cost time and resources to fix, yes, so its more a question of priority than risk

Sankyo
18-04-2016, 12:42
What risk ? Its already broken to complete uselessness. Could it be worse ?
It could lead to other parts of the game breaking.

ELAhrairah
18-04-2016, 12:43
Yes they are not interested in fixing their own game. Why? Because they released the game knowing the replays are broken, and patch after patch there is no interest in fixing it. Now coming towards the end of support for this game there is 0 chance they are ever going to fix it. So they know from the very beginning that they're not going to fix it.

Why do I say this? Let me tell you. Many other people including me spend time reporting bugs, in my case alot of time spent testing to reproduce bugs in pictures & videos and reporting to forums about it. Why do I do this? because I love the game and would like to help improve it. Days turn to weeks turn to months and my hopes turn to disappointments, I can see there is no interest of fixing all the major bugs despite all the reports of them. So I gave up on this game and moved on to their competitors. Only reason rI come back every now and then is because some friends are still loyal to this game, which they won't be soon.

Hey the game has plenty good things too

The way you speak and reason is as if you are in a long relationship with a woman you are starting or already hate

Chill out man, litle les emotion and a bit more reason

After all it is just a game,right?

t0daY
18-04-2016, 12:49
The game is now 1 year old. Everybody knows the strong and the weak parts of pCars1 by now. You have 2 options as a developer. Focusing on one game and try to improve it over time (like iRacing for example) OR you plan pre-sequels which means you get pCars1, pCars2 and so on... If you want to create a presequel you can not support the game before over years. That is at least the decision SMS made.

Remember how small SMS was when they started with pCars1. Look what money they had to work with. Around 10 Millions if I remember correct, Gran Turismo 5 had a production cost with over 70 Million dollar. Now with the good sells of pCars1 and a lot of learning lessons I am looking positive forward to pCars2.

You just can't expect that everything is perfect in pCars1. The best thing we can do now is learn from the mistakes were done in pCars1 and looking forward to pCars2 with a lot of new features, ideas and even a "dirt" part :)

Sankyo
18-04-2016, 12:52
The game is now 1 year old. Everybody knows the strong and the weak parts of pCars1 by now. You have 2 options as a developer. Focusing on one game and try to improve it over time (like iRacing for example) OR you plan pre-sequels which means you get pCars1, pCars2 and so on...
The advantage of a new game clearly being that the devs are able to add new tech and taking away any limitations of the old tech. One could argue that people have to pay money again to get those improvements, but that's no different than iRacing where people are constantly paying for the game.

t0daY
18-04-2016, 12:54
The advantage of a new game clearly being that the devs are able to add new tech and taking away any limitations of the old tech. One could argue that people have to pay money again to get those improvements, but that's no different than iRacing where people are constantly paying for the game.

In my opinion it is even a disadvantage for iRacing. Look how long they needed to finally implement DX11. The progress overall is much slower and introducing new tech is nearly impossible because you cant afford to break the game..

Wolkenwolf
18-04-2016, 12:54
It could lead to other parts of the game breaking.

come on, really. That would lead to the question why they fix ANYTHING. Every change change something.

t0daY
18-04-2016, 12:59
come on, really. That would lead to the question why they fix ANYTHING. Every change change something.

Are you a developer? Do you have the knowledge? If the system, which needs the fix, is too big and too complicated to fix it is more wise to leave it as it is and focus on the pCars2 and fix it there or even improve it.

They would need to rewrite the complete replay part... this isnt a work of a week and done... we are talking about months of work and that is in no relation to what it would bring to pCars1.

Bealdor
18-04-2016, 13:05

Correct. Every patch/bugfix carries the risk to break something else. That's why they're concentrating on gamebreaking ones only.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
18-04-2016, 13:22
You have 2 options as a developer. Focusing on one game and try to improve it over time (like iRacing for example)And that is only really ever an option in one of two cases: A) Your company is so small and your game sold so well that you can hang with it for years without doing anything else and still be able to pay salaries, or B) Your game is based on a constant source of revenue model instead of a single-purchase one. iRacing is only really possible due to the subscription model.

Wolkenwolf
18-04-2016, 15:03
Are you a developer? Do you have the knowledge? If the system, which needs the fix, is too big and too complicated to fix it is more wise to leave it as it is and focus on the pCars2 and fix it there or even improve it.

They would need to rewrite the complete replay part... this isnt a work of a week and done... we are talking about months of work and that is in no relation to what it would bring to pCars1.

Do you know what you are talking about ?
I'm not a developer anymore, but i have coded and i've worked for software houses as admin and in QA. Send that lazy bug back to his debugger :D
Please stop to find excuses for broken/bad designed parts of code.

@bealdor for me this replay thing is game breaking, sort of, i would not start complaining about if it was not.
And thats because i really like the game, i just want working, promised features. Like promised in "save replay" ;)

Roger Prynne
18-04-2016, 15:07
I'm not a developer anymore, but i have coded and i've worked for software houses as admin and in QA. Send that lazy bug back to his debugger :D

@bealdor for me this replay thing is game breaking, sort of, i would not start complaining about if it was not.
And thats because i really like the game, i just want working, promised features. Like promised in "save replay" ;)

Game breaking?
Even if there were no replays at all it would still not be game breaking.

RomKnight
18-04-2016, 15:10
And that is only really ever an option in one of two cases: A) Your company is so small and your game sold so well that you can hang with it for years without doing anything else and still be able to pay salaries, or B) Your game is based on a constant source of revenue model instead of a single-purchase one. iRacing is only really possible due to the subscription model.

Or if it has someone backing (Sector3 seems to be well connected with K&W)

John Hargreaves
18-04-2016, 15:46
Correct. Every patch/bugfix carries the risk to break something else. That's why they're concentrating on gamebreaking ones only.

Look at when they rushed out the Oculus 1.3 compatibility, that broke other things but they didn't have time to test it thoroughly as everyone was bleating on about how SMS ruined their life.

In games, unlike movies, the sequels are often superior to the original as they figure stuff out and iron out the wrinkles. No one is saying that the MP replays are ok, but we need SMS to spend their time on stuff that benefits us all in the end rather than going bust while fixing every last thing possible. OK it's not perfect but surely they have done a pretty damn good job and things look good for the future.

t0daY
18-04-2016, 16:02

Yes I do^^ And these are no excuses it is just the reality. From the economy side it is not worth rewriting the replay system just that you are happy, it is that easy to be honest.
And yes they stated before that couple things in pCars1 would need a complete rework which is impossible or not really worth because SMS is already working on pCars2.
SMS is not a really big company, they need to think and decide what is best for it and they decided to move on and fix the major things with pCars2.

And even without any replays it would not be game breaking. You can still play the game, you can drive, you can do literally anything with the game. So a replay is NOT a game breaker if its not working correct.

Doge
19-04-2016, 11:42
Gotta agree with replays being broken being game breaking. Try to steward an online race with this replay system!

avijan
19-04-2016, 20:18
Gotta agree with replays being broken being game breaking. Try to steward an online race with this replay system!

Have to agree with this. Try and fast forward in a 3hour+ league race to lap 80....hmmmm....nobody got any patience to do that. Switching back and forth between players on track is not the best either.

Same goes for spectator mode + a race official trying to stream a live event.

Doge
19-04-2016, 21:42
Even if you have the guts to endure that, there's a chance the car you want to follow isn't even in the replay.

rat
20-04-2016, 11:18
Guys where save is multiplayer replays pls help i traied to find?

AbeWoz
20-04-2016, 11:19
the option will be on the screen below the final race results.

rat
20-04-2016, 11:23
the option will be on the screen below the final race results.

I want to see how i drive in multi but on screen is lock?
And where is file steam_api.ini?

cluck
20-04-2016, 12:18
I want to see how i drive in multi but on screen is lock?
And where is file steam_api.ini?This thread is discussing replays. If you are having other problems then please either post in an appropriate thread, or create a new thread.