PDA

View Full Version : Annoyed - Lost profile data

PUGS
21-04-2016, 03:59
I love video games and I love racing. I also work a lot, and I don't have a ton of time to dedicate to video games, but when I do, I chose Project Cars as my game of choice. Since the day it was released until today, I have put in over 70 hours of racing. For some of you, that may not be much, but for me it is. That's 70 hours of career mode, online racing. I was closing in on finally achieving the "Zero to Hero" challenge. I purchased almost all of the DLC to continue racing on new tracks, and fooling around with new cars. JUST YESTERDAY, I decided to dig deep and shell out $300 on a TS300 wheel to bring my game to that next level. It was a big decision to make, but this game is the reason why I made the plunge..and then today happened...

The game crashes from time to time and while it can be annoying, it doesn't really agitate me that much. I mean it happens, right? Even my other favorite games (CS:GO, Dark Souls) crash from time to time...it's not a big deal. Well tonight it was. In the mist of coming to a close on my third season, I was browsing through the menus when all of a sudden the game froze, and it froze my entire computer. I rebooted the system, logged back into steam, opened the game and...

Gone. All of it. 100% gone. No more career, no more stats, no more achievements. All of it completely wiped clean like it never existed. The last year of playing Project Cars has disappeared without a trace. Upon reviewing the forums and seeking help, I found none. There is nothing I can do at all. The entire save is GONE.

A message for the developer: I know that you know this bug exists...I saw some of the developers address it on the forums. Why hasn't this been fixed? I've supported your game and its development by purchasing the DLC, so why does this HUGE glaring bug that has destroyed so many other players saves not been addressed?

I know there are worse things to complain about in life. However, this is my hobby...it's what I chose to do when I have free time. All of the time and effort I put into the game has now been completely wiped clean and back to the karts I go...I will not purchase any more DLC until this bug is addressed and patched.

TopAirspace
21-04-2016, 04:44
Well thats a major bummer man, I've never really botherd with the career path much myself as i only really care about the racing. It's no consolation but in career mode at least you can just jump into any racing category you wish, from that perspective all you have really lost is your stats and achievements etc, try to atleast in anycase look on the positive still, this really is an epic game with lots and lots to offer, albeit in a single race mode scenario or via racing leagues.

MISTER WU
21-04-2016, 05:23
You are probably angry mate but because the disk/computer was shutdown forceable then windows did not have the default (KILL) command it uses when a shutdown procedure starts.
By default that is 30 seconds on Win7 to Win 10.

Now, you might need to download ShadowExplorer to restore the userdata folder to the desktop (To a point of time before the crash) and then copy the pcars folder back in and over write the corrupted version.
Now if you right click the folder does it show previous versions tab and if so then restore by copying it through Windows Explorer instead of Shadow Explorer.

Refer to this post to find the directory mate, windows always creates dhadow copies but home premium versions dont do it as often and are hidden through Explorer (Hence the reason you need ShadowExplorer)
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?46478-Quickly-access-profile

BigDad
21-04-2016, 07:14
You are probably angry mate but because the disk/computer was shutdown forceable then windows did not have the default (KILL) command it uses when a shutdown procedure starts.
By default that is 30 seconds on Win7 to Win 10.

Now, you might need to download ShadowExplorer to restore the userdata folder to the desktop (To a point of time before the crash) and then copy the pcars folder back in and over write the corrupted version.
Now if you right click the folder does it show previous versions tab and if so then restore by copying it through Windows Explorer instead of Shadow Explorer.

Refer to this post to find the directory mate, windows always creates dhadow copies but home premium versions dont do it as often and are hidden through Explorer (Hence the reason you need ShadowExplorer)
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?46478-Quickly-access-profile
Nice , i just ps4 had a option like this to bring back my first 70 hours.

cluck
21-04-2016, 08:15
Did you lose your profile data completely - ie, the default.sav file was missing, so Project CARS created a new one and went through the usual first-time setup options when you next launched it - or did it corrupt and you deleted it yourself? If the file was simply missing then the best thing to do is try and run some recovery software right now, before doing too much else, to see if you can get the file back - I haven't tried it myself (I use GetDataBack) but Recuva (https://www.piriform.com/recuva) appears to be free and might just get your progress back. If you run that, the file you need to recover is called default.sav and will be located in

(steam installation folder)\userdata\xxxxxxx\234630\local\project cars\profiles

where (steam installation folder) is the location of the Steam installation. By default, from memory, this will be on the C: drive in the Program Files (x86) folder. xxxxxxx will be a numeric number that corresponds to your Steam ID - it doesn't matter what the number is, just open that folder to get to the 234630 folder.

cluck
21-04-2016, 08:26
Also, I've adjusted the title of the thread. Please refrain from swearing where possible (especially in thread titles) and also try and make thread titles explanatory.

Yes, it's a frustrating bug for those affected by it but reporting it politely is the right approach.

I know this doesn't help you, but in 4 years of playing Project CARS (ie, the whole way through development), I never once lost my profile data. I've deleted it manually quite a few times, but it's never just vanished. This is mostly why it is a difficult bug to fix - if it cannot be reproduced, it cannot be fixed. In an ideal world the game would make a backup of the profile data before it launches but it doesn't do that and it doesn't look likely to be added (please correct me if I'm wrong).

In the meantime, there are profile backup utilities around that you can use for the future. I appreciate it's a bit late now but maybe the data recovery I suggested in my previous post will help.

EDIT : Here's a link (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?46478-Quickly-access-profile) to a small utility (batch file) that another forum user has created to quickly access the profile location (for those that don't want to navigate their way manually)

Tomcul
21-04-2016, 08:32
Why not learn how to use one of these..

Invincible
21-04-2016, 08:40
Why not learn how to use one of these..

To be honest, doing a manual backup every time you play isn't really the way to go.

Sankyo
21-04-2016, 08:41
To be honest, doing a manual backup every time you play isn't really the way to go.
That is true, however, program and/or Windows crashes and loss of data aren't uncommon on PC, so regular back-ups are a must-do for PC owners for sure.

Tomcul
21-04-2016, 08:44

Ya but doing one every 15-20 hours or after a major event makes sense..

cluck
21-04-2016, 08:52
Ya but doing one every 15-20 hours or after a major event makes sense..To be fair to the OP, how was he/she supposed to know that? It will be common knowledge, I'm sure, to those that have either lost their data or have had to manually delete it for whatever reason, but to the average player, I doubt it is obvious :)

I'm going to cross my fingers that the file can be recovered, so that the OP can continue with the career they started.

Tomcul
21-04-2016, 09:02
To be fair to the OP, how was he/she supposed to know that? It will be common knowledge, I'm sure, to those that have either lost their data or have had to manually delete it for whatever reason, but to the average player, I doubt it is obvious :)

I'm going to cross my fingers that the file can be recovered, so that the OP can continue with the career they started.
But we've had to backup data to drives for years it's not a new thing. Data losses happen all the time.
Iv been using usb sticks for years in my PS3/4 so I would expect PC users to know the importance of backing up.. To be fair this type of post happens a lot and always seems to be the games fault not the fault of the user who doesn't protect their hard work by backing up his/her saves..
Luckily I haven't had any data losses with pcars but I did once with gt5..I used a memory stick then too so it wasn't a problem.

MISTER WU
21-04-2016, 09:17
Maybe im off topic here but you can use Windows backup to create the VHD (Using windows system backup(Run the command "control /name microsoft.backupandrestorecenter") (No bigger than 2 terabyte)) and create a task so its done weekly.
Either way the OP dont play much but when you have a system image from creating backups then simply run the command compmgmt.msc and then click on Disk Management and then once it has scanned for harddrives, you simply right click and go attach VHD.
Then you navigate to the place where you stored the WindowsBackupImage (Normally E:\ drive) and then mount the backup VHD file so you can recover a file/folder/database what ever.

Its a cheap form of replication and mount points in windows.

barcode
21-04-2016, 12:03
I've had the same thing happen to me around the patch 10 installation, and all was lost for me as well, despite only the game crashing, not windows. I haven't touched career mode since, I just can't be bothered.

As for making backups, probably not a bad idea to do that every once in a while, but on the same token, I find this a bit irritating. Most other games that I play on steam have the steam cloud backup where your savegame-files are automatically stored. Any reason for why this isn't in pCars, or is it just not activated by default?

Invincible
21-04-2016, 12:20
I've had the same thing happen to me around the patch 10 installation, and all was lost for me as well, despite only the game crashing, not windows. I haven't touched career mode since, I just can't be bothered.

As for making backups, probably not a bad idea to do that every once in a while, but on the same token, I find this a bit irritating. Most other games that I play on steam have the steam cloud backup where your savegame-files are automatically stored. Any reason for why this isn't in pCars, or is it just not activated by default?

I don't know if there isn't any backup at all over steam of not activated - but Steam was moaning about the steam cloud access when my router went down.

Roger Prynne
21-04-2016, 14:57
If you want to make a backup of your profile quickly then just make a .bat file like this....

copy "F:\Steam\userdata\******\234630\local\project cars\profiles" "J:\My Docs\Project CARS\Profile backup"

Just change the line to where your Steam is installed and where you want it saved.
****** = your Steam ID

You can do this in Notepad, then save as 'whateveryoulike.bat'
Put it on your desktop, double click and you have an instant backup.

DreamsKnight
21-04-2016, 22:23

I do.

If you want to make a backup of your profile quickly then just make a .bat file like this....

copy "F:\Steam\userdata\******\234630\local\project cars\profiles" "J:\My Docs\Project CARS\Profile backup"

Just change the line to where your Steam is installed and where you want it saved.
****** = your Steam ID

And you van put the bat in automatic execution so each time you start PC you have a fresh backup.

Beside this, steam has a cloud backup that pcars don't use.

Sampo
22-04-2016, 09:09

****** = your Steam ID

You mixed up the steam id and game id, Rog. It should read:

Roger Prynne
22-04-2016, 09:12
Ah yeah... thanks for that.... I'll edit my post and the other posts.

satco1066
22-04-2016, 13:42
Thats not secure. if you copy a bad profile over your backup, you have also a bad backup.

extend your patch file as following

--------
set dt=%date:~0,2%-%date:~3,2%-%date:~6,4%-%time:~0,2%_%time:~3,2%_%time:~6,2%
copy "F:\Steam\userdata\******\234630\local\project cars\profiles\default.sav" "J:\your backup path\default-%dt%.sav"
--------

that copies default.sav e.g. to default_22-04-2016-13_02_23.sav
You see , date and time are added. So every time you start your patch, you don't overwrite your last backup, you generate one with new date/time extension.