PDA

View Full Version : Questions important to me

FFOman
21-04-2016, 16:51
Hi all,
I'm fairly new to Sim Racing, and at the age of 61 I would guess this is pretty strange! I do have a lot of driving experience with the last couple releases for F1 from Codemasters however, and though Project Cars surpasses that app in every way possible, it does not seem to favor Formula type racing! Only one Formula One car in that series? Are there plans to include more cars and tracks from this venue? When? Not that I mind working my way up to the Formula series, but exactly where do I find out more about doing so? Either way I would like to start my "climb" to Formula 1 by first doing so in PCars, along with some MP racing as well. To be honest, RaceNet for F1 doesn't work very well so I haven't had the opportunity to do any "real' MP racing yet so this is very important to me! So are there any leagues or other groups that are sponsoring races in PCars I can get started with?

Right now I'm running Win 10 Pro 64 with 16 gig ram, an Nvidia 970 GTX, and believe it or not a XEON W3524 4 core @ 2.67 GHz each giving me better processing power than the best Intel gaming processor! 450 pwr supply and a double-wide ultra sharp screen, 3 HD's and 1 SSD for bootup drive, a Logitech G502 gaming mouse, a MadCatz V7 keyboard, and a Steel Series SW-R1 Racing Wheel. I gotta love this wheel even though it doesn't have force feedback, because it uses finger levers on it's backside just like a real Formula One Wheel but with shifting up/down and Throttle/Brake control and a whole lot of programmable buttons/levers/dials on the front of it as well. Not able to use my legs this really comes in handy! The ONLY problem I have is that as it's not connected to any kind of base or shaft system, one's arms tend to swim around a bit more than I would like. There is a bracket made for it which clamps it down to a desktop or other flat service, but it's licensing doesn't allow it to be sold in the USA by our friends in England! The Wheel Yes...the Clamp No! Go figure! But I've heard it might be sold privately on EBay so I plan on checking there.

So I'm really trying hard to get into this hobby, and in particular with Project Cars. I'd greatly appreciate ANY and ALL help or information that can help me...especially along the lines mentioned above! Thanks in advance!

racesafegrandad
21-04-2016, 17:19
Errrr, I am 71 years old and just won two out of my last three races today on Project Cars so you have no excuses my friend. :)

Don't worry too much with car setup to start with. And sorry but there are a lot of dick heads on Project Cars that just want to smash you off.
But a force feedback wheel is the way to go?

Konan
21-04-2016, 17:33
Hi, and welcome...

The Formula A car (licensing prohibites calling it F1) is it for this game..
You can work your way up to them by starting in the tier with the karts... (career)
But you can choose any class you want to start with in that tier...even Formula A... Depending on your results you will get contract offers from other teams and classes...in between you will get invitational offers to drive in different classes too which you are not obligated to accept (but give lots of variety)
I hope this helps a little?
For the other questions i'm sure someone else will be willing to help...

Rambo_Commando
21-04-2016, 19:13
To be honest, the FA racing is much better than the racing in F1 2015. Overall the Formula Renault and Dallara Indycar are the best open wheel cars.

Mahjik
21-04-2016, 19:24
You can find groups/leagues in the following section of the forum:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/forumdisplay.php?116-Multiplayer

If you have the funds, I agree with the others that a force feedback wheel with pedals makes everything even better.

Roger Prynne
21-04-2016, 19:30
He does say that he cant use his legs....

FS7
21-04-2016, 20:09
To be honest, the FA racing is much better than the racing in F1 2015. Overall the Formula Renault and Dallara Indycar are the best open wheel cars.
Agreed.
I really like F1 but I was so annoyed with the slippery handling and bad AI that I sold my copy of F1 2015.

bporion
21-04-2016, 20:13
Great to see that older gentleman are enjoying the game , maybe in the next DLC there could be a car whit its right blinker always on ! :p Sorry I just could not resist !

lollygag
21-04-2016, 20:27
Great to see that older gentleman are enjoying the game , maybe in the next DLC there could be a car whit its right blinker always on ! :p Sorry I just could not resist !

I'm 55 and you'll rarely get close enuf to me to even see my right blinker! :cool:

bporion
21-04-2016, 20:33
I'm 55 and you'll rarely get close enuf to me to even see my right blinker! :cool:

Well I'm 51 so we would probably be driving next to each other trying to see who can make it to the stop sight first ! :-)

Rambo_Commando
21-04-2016, 20:46
Well I'm 51 so we would probably be driving next to each other trying to see who can make it to the stop sight first ! :-)

Well I'm 53 and I drink Boost, so that makes me quicker than both of you. Lol

tico21
21-04-2016, 22:22
Sorry I can't offer much help for your questions other than to say F1 2013 by Codemasters has an excellent career feature. But I can offer some moral support... I'm 65 and started sim racing with a Commodore 64! Pcars is by far the best, I've tried them all. The Race On series with Motec turns car setups into a science (which of course it is), that is much better than the telemetry mod available for Pcars. And there's some great video of Graham Hill and the BRM H16 on Youtube!

DreamsKnight
21-04-2016, 22:39
Hi all,
I'm fairly new to Sim Racing, and at the age of 61 I would guess this is pretty strange! I do have a lot of driving experience with the last couple releases for F1 from Codemasters however, and though Project Cars surpasses that app in every way possible, it does not seem to favor Formula type racing! Only one Formula One car in that series? Are there plans to include more cars and tracks from this venue? When? Not that I mind working my way up to the Formula series, but exactly where do I find out more about doing so? Either way I would like to start my "climb" to Formula 1 by first doing so in PCars, along with some MP racing as well. To be honest, RaceNet for F1 doesn't work very well so I haven't had the opportunity to do any "real' MP racing yet so this is very important to me! So are there any leagues or other groups that are sponsoring races in PCars I can get started with?

Right now I'm running Win 10 Pro 64 with 16 gig ram, an Nvidia 970 GTX, and believe it or not a XEON W3524 4 core @ 2.67 GHz each giving me better processing power than the best Intel gaming processor! 450 pwr supply and a doubleml Series SW-R1 Racing Wheel. I gotta love this wheel even though it doesn't have force feedback, because it uses finger levers on it's backside just like a real Formula One Wheel but with shifting up/down and Throttle/Brake control and a whole lot of programmable buttons/levers/dials on the front of it as well. Not able to use my legs this really comes in handy! The ONLY problem I have is that as it's not connected to any kind of base or shaft system, one's arms tend to swim around a bit more than I would like. There is a bracket made for it which clamps it down to a desktop or other flat service, but it's licensing doesn't allow it to be sold in the USA by our friends in England! The Wheel Yes...the Clamp No! Go figure! But I've heard it might be sold privately on EBay so I plan on checking there.

So I'm really trying hard to get into this hobby, and in particular with Project Cars. I'd greatly appreciate ANY and ALL help or information that can help me...especially along the lines mentioned above! Thanks in advance!

Formula A is a true f1 car, more than those in real life these days. V8, drs, Kers, clean aero... Best of.

About wheel it is so simple! You can adapt to the base of other wheels
https://www.google.it/search?q=SW-R1+Racing+Wheel+g27+base&biw=960&bih=600&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjU0rfF5aDMAhVDFMAKHYfPAxMQ_AUIBigB

poirqc
22-04-2016, 00:43

Old coots bragging! ;)

Pigmachine
22-04-2016, 02:33
Actually I think FA is a lot better then codemasters F1 2004 at least, I really hated it and have .. well not even 2 hours into that one, as it were awful imo. The lack of 'real' F1 cars, actually don't bother me at all, as it's a licensing issue (like trying to get a 'real' Porsche license) the cars perform the same, just different skins, so it's a totally even play-field.
If you are really into F1 and driving a specific brand, then it might be a bit off-putting. But it's a great alternative!
The only companies I totally boycott are Ubisoft (F*! UPlay), EA sports (thanks for not delivering any sports-game I want to the PC) .. and codemasters!

Diamond_Eyes
22-04-2016, 07:01
Sorry I can't offer much help for your questions other than to say F1 2013 by Codemasters has an excellent career feature. But I can offer some moral support... I'm 65 and started sim racing with a Commodore 64! Pcars is by far the best, I've tried them all. The Race On series with Motec turns car setups into a science (which of course it is), that is much better than the telemetry mod available for Pcars. And there's some great video of Graham Hill and the BRM H16 on Youtube!

Agree that MoTec or similar should have been in pcars

Had my hopes that some clever indie might have written some code for pcars like they have for rFactor but wouldn't help for those on consoles anyway

RomKnight
22-04-2016, 15:22
Agree that MoTec or similar should have been in pcars

Had my hopes that some clever indie might have written some code for pcars like they have for rFactor but wouldn't help for those on consoles anyway

Actually... UDP stream was included because of that and many 3rd party apps support it so consoles can see more that what's given in the HUD

Diamond_Eyes
22-04-2016, 16:04
Guess what I'm pining for is a MoTec style app linked to the pcars UDP data so I can see what my suspension is actually doing :distant:
too dumbass to do it myself

FFOman
22-04-2016, 17:11
Errrr, I am 71 years old and just won two out of my last three races today on Project Cars so you have no excuses my friend. :)

Don't worry too much with car setup to start with. And sorry but there are a lot of dick heads on Project Cars that just want to smash you off.
But a force feedback wheel is the way to go?

I certainly wasn't making any excuses, especially for my age! I can't make an excuse for not being able to use my legs thus am unable to find a controller that provides real Force Feedback either...but perhaps it's a good reason! I didn't ask about car setup OR mention juvenile drivers who should be playing "Burnout Paradise" instead either. So what is your reply about and for? Maybe that extra 71 yrs is taking a toll?

FFOman
22-04-2016, 17:26
Hi, and welcome...

The Formula A car (licensing prohibites calling it F1) is it for this game..
You can work your way up to them by starting in the tier with the karts... (career)
But you can choose any class you want to start with in that tier...even Formula A... Depending on your results you will get contract offers from other teams and classes...in between you will get invitational offers to drive in different classes too which you are not obligated to accept (but give lots of variety)
I hope this helps a little?
For the other questions i'm sure someone else will be willing to help...

With only one available car in the Formula One series one couldn't have much of a MP race me thinks...That is all there is right? And isn't it the same for all Formula series? I've been running practice time laps on various Formula tracks, but if doing so isn't going to provide me with the skills I need to participate in an MP race in that class it's probably a waste of time in many respects. Is CodeMasters Formula One the ONLY sim available for concentrating on Formula One? If I can't do it in Project Cars, then what about rFactor2? Or even Assetto Corso? I feel like I lost in a group of sims that are trying to be everyone's friend but offers no complete experience in any particular class! Even iRacing seems to be like that! I'm left not knowing what class to work at that will lead me al the way into good MP racing for a chosen class!

Mahjik
22-04-2016, 17:29
With only one available car in the Formula One series one couldn't have much of a MP race me thinks...

iRacing says differently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePYeKRVo6uI

A spec series makes it more about the driver and the way he/she can setup his/her car rather than "did he/she pick the fastest car". While it may seem boring seeing only one make of car, it's some of the more exciting racing you can do in multiplayer.

FFOman
22-04-2016, 17:30

What is it that makes it better in the game and/or in real life racing? I'd always thought Formula One were the epitome of car racing across all classes?

FFOman
22-04-2016, 17:35
You can find groups/leagues in the following section of the forum:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/forumdisplay.php?116-Multiplayer

If you have the funds, I agree with the others that a force feedback wheel with pedals makes everything even better.

Unforunately it's not a matter of funds for me. As I've said more then once, I cannot use my legs and thus anything with pedals. The wheel I'm using is the Only one that allows mw to use paddles on its rear side to control throttle, brake, and gears I've been able to find!

FFOman
22-04-2016, 17:37

Good humor is NEVER wasted!

FFOman
22-04-2016, 18:20
Okay, getting down to the real facts: I've mostly played the CodeMaster's F1 game, ( I won't honor it with the SIM label ), with F1 2015 being the most current and last version available until the promised F1 2016 is released. I find it barely adequate, and ONLY because it provides full service to Formula One. Practice, Time Trials, variant Race types and configurations, all the cars and all the current tracks each being done fairly well. CodeMaster's would be better off to keep doing what they do best...Rally! No one does Rally as good as they do! F1 2015 handles more like their Grid 2 release than it does a great Formula SIM.
Out of all the other releases SIM value, which include, Project CARS, and Assetto Corso, I prefer the look and feel of Project CARS. That's just my opinion however...there are plenty of others who claim just the opposite!
What do I want out of the one I choose? Most importantly I don't believe it's a good idea to concentrate on more than one SIM at a time! It can get much too confusing. And since I've already chosen the SIM I want to work with, ( Project CARS ), the next most important necessity is REALISM in handling, performance, setup, and driving characteristics. And over all of these are its value as a real-life, fully immersiveable SIM! And that in itself means that it provides a single player game, including all variant race types from championship down to time trials up until you reach a point in the chosen class where you can begin MP racing on a real-life, time and achievement basis. Lastly, it must include all vehicle variants and setup options, as well as all tracks normal to competitive racing in that class. As I said before, in my chosen class of Formula One, F1 2015 by CodeMaster's is currently the ONLY so-called SIM I know that meets all these requirements! If I'm wrong, please tell me. And even if I am, which other available SIM meets most of them and in which class is it best. As was recently said by the leader of a foreign dignitary, "These are the things I need to know!"

Mahjik
22-04-2016, 20:24
Codemasters currently holds the official F1 license, so they will have the only game which will wholly replicate F1 racing. It currently expires after their F1 2016 release so we'll see if they are able to renew it.

DreamsKnight
22-04-2016, 23:16
Unforunately it's not a matter of funds for me. As I've said more then once, I cannot use my legs and thus anything with pedals. The wheel I'm using is the Only one that allows mw to use paddles on its rear side to control throttle, brake, and gears I've been able to find!

Did you read my post? You Can buy a g27, you sell pedals and wheel, you mount your wheel over the g27 base. It is a common think with your wheel and adapters are on sale.

EDIT: i am at pc now, i can add some links:

here a guy who do the adpter with wood:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aufcOoQZgis

here the video of and adapter on sale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtNjBoWFBkI

the site who sell the adapter
http://simulaje.blogspot.it/2012/06/volante-steel-series-srw-s1-adaptacion.html

i'm sure there are more things if you search.

don't forget with some cad skills you can draw your own adapter, send to a site who do 3D print an wait for the part.

but don't worry, you can have Force Feedback also with your wheel!

EDIT2: i thinked about one more thing. more difficult than the above one, but i'm writing for your knowing, could help or not.

when a people do a button box, it is very common to use the board of a joypad and solder wires and button on it.
this a link to understand the concept

http://altoguitar.com/buttonbox/

so it is not impossible to build your own triggers for throttle and brake an to adapt to the wheel you prefer.

just to point out: for a guy with solder skill, doing that solders is the easiest think on the planet.

bporion
22-04-2016, 23:31
What do you guys think of the FA sound ? I personally am not a fan and I never play it in Pcars .

Rambo_Commando
23-04-2016, 16:22
What is it that makes it better in the game and/or in real life racing? I'd always thought Formula One were the epitome of car racing across all classes?

Ok. Where do I start. You kind of remind me of myself. I only play one racing game/sim at a time. When I bought Pcars on release, it was the first console racing game that put a grin on my face. I was addicted. I'm also a huge f1 fan. When F1 2015 came out I sadly put away Pcars and only played f1. I played F1 2015 day and night trying to convince myself that the game was better than it is but sadly it's not. Here's my take on F1 2015. Handling is great but only compared to other Codemaster f1 games, Pcars is much better in this department. Graphics is very cartoonish in f1, Pcars has more of a photo realistic look. Weather is ok in f1 2015, Pcars dynamic weather is simply amazing. When it rains in Pcars it rains. The cockpit view in f1 2015 is horrible, Pcars is much better by default and Pcars gives to the ability to adjust the view to your liking. Vehicle setup in f1 2015 works more like on/off. There is no fine tuning. For example, for suspension, either you go min or you go max, anywhere in between makes no difference, same with wings, camber, toe, ballast, etc...The best way to describe it is that the sliders in the vehicle setup screen is either going to be to the far right or far left, anything in between makes no difference. The vehicle setup in Pcars is amazing. You can actually feel the difference of every small adjustment. I have more fun dialling in my car than actually racing it but the races are just as fun. The only thing F1 2015 does better than Pcars is pit stop animation. But who really cares.

The choice is yours but if you compare the both, in the FA you need to manage your car and engine to prevent damage. You need to plan ahead to pass other cars or risk damaging your car. You need to actually have a pit strategy. With the 2015 f1 cars you just need to drive. Don't worry about anything else because the AI will pit 5-10 times in a single race so you will always win.

To sum it up, Project Cars FA car feels more like an actual Formula One car than the F1 car in the F1 2015. Oh I forgot to mention that the FA cars' engine sounds insane.

Konan
23-04-2016, 18:54
Ok. Where do I start. You kind of remind me of myself. I only play one racing game/sim at a time. When I bought Pcars on release, it was the first console racing game that put a grin on my face. I was addicted. I'm also a huge f1 fan. When F1 2015 came out I sadly put away Pcars and only played f1. I played F1 2015 day and night trying to convince myself that the game was better than it is but sadly it's not. Here's my take on F1 2015. Handling is great but only compared to other Codemaster f1 games, Pcars is much better in this department. Graphics is very cartoonish in f1, Pcars has more of a photo realistic look. Weather is ok in f1 2015, Pcars dynamic weather is simply amazing. When it rains in Pcars it rains. The cockpit view in f1 2015 is horrible, Pcars is much better by default and Pcars gives to the ability to adjust the view to your liking. Vehicle setup in f1 2015 works more like on/off. There is no fine tuning. For example, for suspension, either you go min or you go max, anywhere in between makes no difference, same with wings, camber, toe, ballast, etc...The best way to describe it is that the sliders in the vehicle setup screen is either going to be to the far right or far left, anything in between makes no difference. The vehicle setup in Pcars is amazing. You can actually feel the difference of every small adjustment. I have more fun dialling in my car than actually racing it but the races are just as fun. The only thing F1 2015 does better than Pcars is pit stop animation. But who really cares.

The choice is yours but if you compare the both, in the FA you need to manage your car and engine to prevent damage. You need to plan ahead to pass other cars or risk damaging your car. You need to actually have a pit strategy. With the 2015 f1 cars you just need to drive. Don't worry about anything else because the AI will pit 5-10 times in a single race so you will always win.

To sum it up, Project Cars FA car feels more like an actual Formula One car than the F1 car in the F1 2015. Oh I forgot to mention that the FA cars' engine sounds insane.

Good post...if he still isn't convinced now he never will...

racesafegrandad
24-04-2016, 07:54
I certainly wasn't making any excuses, especially for my age! I can't make an excuse for not being able to use my legs thus am unable to find a controller that provides real Force Feedback either...but perhaps it's a good reason! I didn't ask about car setup OR mention juvenile drivers who should be playing "Burnout Paradise" instead either. So what is your reply about and for? Maybe that extra 71 yrs is taking a toll?

Just a friendly reply. Sorry if I offended you and I will not respond to you again. Your rudeness was not called for.

FFOman
05-05-2016, 14:20
Maybe all us "old guys" should put a league together ourselves. Regular members over 50 and lower by invitation only. Bet we could show the younger drivers a thing or two! <g>

FFOman
05-05-2016, 14:58
To: racesafegrandad

You again misinterpreted my words! I certainly wasn't "offended" by anything you said or implied! Nor was I trying to be rude in my reply! I was trying to make a point however. And the point is that I have found much more useless banter among the various forums than I have valid, useful, information. These days the forums are filled to the brim with youngsters having no idea how or what to write and respond to. They complain if you take the time to explain in detail about "walls of text" which is little more than an excuse for their being unable to read and write fluently and to the purpose, while at the same time completely misunderstand one if you abbreviate your comments or questions!

I visit at least 25 forums these days and have been a moderator of forums and e-mail lists for longer than I can remember, and the state of things today makes it apparent that real, honest, helpful, and topical information is lacking more and more every day. I'm very sorry to have offended you and certainly do not want you to stop responding to me or anyone else, but I know of no other way of getting across the point I was attempting to make. And believe me, I've tried! As for the case in point, it was obviously apparent to all that you replied before actually reading my post. And for whatever reason, it seems to have become the sorry standard for so many of us participating in the forums these days! I hope if nothing else that my comments are not taken to be rude or unnecessarily unkind, but someone has to tell another when situations like this occur! Rather than being offended, you should be thankful I was willing to point this communication problem out!

FFOman
05-05-2016, 15:55
I hope I'm not repeating myself too much here but as I said before, I've been racing only CodeMasters F1 series so far for the simple reason that it seemed as if it was run more like the real F1 class than any other sim, and I too always thought as someone else here that Formula One was the epitome of racing. When I was a kid though, I was enthralled with cars like the Chaparral in the old Can-Am series and built them for the slot car tracks that were everywhere back then. ( I still wonder why Slot car racing fell to the wayside? )
Assetto Corso seems hyper real to me, and though I have rFactor 2, and its tech specs are about as good as a SIM can have, it seem rough and has lousy sound when you drive F1 cars in it. So now I've decided to go all the way with PCars for a number of reasons. Their photo-realism, handling, setup abilities, its many classes, and from what I've heard, its MP abilities...something CM's F1 series was never up to snuff in. I hope pCars lives up to its reputation on the MP tracks.
Up till yesterday however, I did have a major problem driving in ANY SIM. Because of not being able to use my legs for gear shifting, throttle, and brakes, I hadn't been able to find a wheel that was both good and useable to me. I had been forced to drive using a flight stick! Then as I reported earlier I finally found the Steel Series wheel, the SimRaceway SRW-S1, which is an F! type wheel that uses sensors inside it to keep turning calibrated and around 15 programmable control points on it's face. You can just hold it as you like, turning it left and right in the air and employing the paddles on the rear side of it for shifting, throttle and brakes. It's a fantastic wheel but sans Force Feedback for at least a 10 min race. Then as you tire from holding it up in the air, your arms begin to take on a life of their own and you find yourself unable to steer correctly or regularly. I paid only $48 US for the wheel and that's a great price even compared to a flight stick! But useful only to someone who drives a SIM in a non-competitive environment.
The SRW-S1 needs only to be clamped down to a desk or board to be as good or better than an expensive wheel system, and they do make such a clamp with three way adjustments that solve it's one and only problem. So I tried to get one. But can you believe it, no one in the US can sell it except as a personal item which now cannot even be found on Ebay! The licensing contracts our State Dept allow set these rules up and I practically had to beg a company in the UK to send me one under these conditions. It did take a while, but it's finally on the way. And as soon as I get it look out! <g>
Yes, as someone else mentioned, a decent clamping system can be made to handle the wheel without the 3 way adjustment, and there's even videos on YouTube that take one step by step through a pretty good solution to the problem, but I'm now living in a small apartment with no space for a workshop or the tools necessary that I used to have. And you would have to exercise great care if you want to try and do the job correctly because you have to tear the wheel and its electronics apart in order to make a good working mount! So I paid $68 for the real thing sent right from the UK...expensive yes...but a lot safer! If everything works out for me as expected when it finally gets here, the first thing I'm going to do is buy another wheel so if something happens to this one I'll have a replacement ready. A worthy expense when the wheel itself is cheaper than the clamp it must be mounted to! In any case I'll report on the system as soon as I put it all together!

DreamsKnight
05-05-2016, 16:08
I hope I'm not repeating myself too much here but as I said before, I've been racing only CodeMasters F1 series so far for the simple reason that it seemed as if it was run more like the real F1 class than any other sim, and I too always thought as someone else here that Formula One was the epitome of racing. When I was a kid though, I was enthralled with cars like the Chaparral in the old Can-Am series and built them for the slot car tracks that were everywhere back then. ( I still wonder why Slot car racing fell to the wayside? )
Assetto Corso seems hyper real to me, and though I have rFactor 2, and its tech specs are about as good as a SIM can have, it seem rough and has lousy sound when you drive F1 cars in it. So now I've decided to go all the way with PCars for a number of reasons. Their photo-realism, handling, setup abilities, its many classes, and from what I've heard, its MP abilities...something CM's F1 series was never up to snuff in. I hope pCars lives up to its reputation on the MP tracks.
Up till yesterday however, I did have a major problem driving in ANY SIM. Because of not being able to use my legs for gear shifting, throttle, and brakes, I hadn't been able to find a wheel that was both good and useable to me. I had been forced to drive using a flight stick! Then as I reported earlier I finally found the Steel Series wheel, the SimRaceway SRW-S1, which is an F! type wheel that uses sensors inside it to keep turning calibrated and around 15 programmable control points on it's face. You can just hold it as you like, turning it left and right in the air and employing the paddles on the rear side of it for shifting, throttle and brakes. It's a fantastic wheel but sans Force Feedback for at least a 10 min race. Then as you tire from holding it up in the air, your arms begin to take on a life of their own and you find yourself unable to steer correctly or regularly. I paid only $48 US for the wheel and that's a great price even compared to a flight stick! But useful only to someone who drives a SIM in a non-competitive environment.
The SRW-S1 needs only to be clamped down to a desk or board to be as good or better than an expensive wheel system, and they do make such a clamp with three way adjustments that solve it's one and only problem. So I tried to get one. But can you believe it, no one in the US can sell it except as a personal item which now cannot even be found on Ebay! The licensing contracts our State Dept allow set these rules up and I practically had to beg a company in the UK to send me one under these conditions. It did take a while, but it's finally on the way. And as soon as I get it look out! <g>
Yes, as someone else mentioned, a decent clamping system can be made to handle the wheel without the 3 way adjustment, and there's even videos on YouTube that take one step by step through a pretty good solution to the problem, but I'm now living in a small apartment with no space for a workshop or the tools necessary that I used to have. And you would have to exercise great care if you want to try and do the job correctly because you have to tear the wheel and its electronics apart in order to make a good working mount! So I paid $68 for the real thing sent right from the UK...expensive yes...but a lot safer! If everything works out for me as expected when it finally gets here, the first thing I'm going to do is buy another wheel so if something happens to this one I'll have a replacement ready. A worthy expense when the wheel itself is cheaper than the clamp it must be mounted to! In any case I'll report on the system as soon as I put it all together!

good to hear your problem is solved. i'm happy for you. :)

FS7
05-05-2016, 16:56
I'm a big fan of F1, but I really didn't like F1 2015, very bare bones in terms of features, bugs from previous games still present, handling is bad, AI is bad... I bought the game mainly for the tracks that aren't available in PCars, but after a few months I got tired of the slippery handling & bad AI and sold the game.
I prefer the handling of the FA in PCars than the slippery handling cars in F1 2015, I do wish there were more tracks from the current F1 season in PCars, though.

Doge
05-05-2016, 17:06
I'm a big fan of F1, but I really didn't like F1 2015, very bare bones in terms of features, bugs from previous games still present, handling is bad, AI is bad... I bought the game mainly for the tracks that aren't available in PCars, but after a few months I got tired of the slippery handling & bad AI and sold the game.
I prefer the handling of the FA in PCars than the slippery handling cars in F1 2015, I do wish there were more tracks from the current F1 season in PCars, though.

Slippery? There´s insane grip everywhere. Tarmac, curbs, turf, grass... it doesn´t matter, the car will stick. The only half-challenging aspect is traction, then again they´re turbo engines vs NA V8 on PCARS.

I think the FA in PCARS, even if it is still pretty poor, is lightyears ahead of any Codies game in terms of the driving experience.

FS7
05-05-2016, 17:22
Slippery? There´s insane grip everywhere. Tarmac, curbs, turf, grass... it doesn´t matter, the car will stick. The only half-challenging aspect is traction, then again they´re turbo engines vs NA V8 on PCARS.
The problem I had in F1 2015 was on corner exit. In PCars and most other games I play I brake in a straight line, turn into the corner, on corner exit I feather the throttle and gradually increase throttle and return the analog stick to the center, I can feel the grip of the car and know how much I can push the car on corner exit without spinning out. In F1 2015 the "gradually increase throttle" part almost never worked for me, it's either feather the throttle until the car is straight then full throttle or full throttle right away and drift my way around the turn (both of which are different from what I see on real life onboard laps), the cars felt very unpredictable on corner exit to me, sometimes the car was exiting the turn fine then all of a sudden the car just spun out.
Imo the FA is more difficult to drive than F1 2015's cars but the FA is more predictable, and I agree on the driving experience being better with the FA.