PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on first racing wheel + stand

Spudcake
22-04-2016, 22:43
Hello

I've decided to treat myself to my first ever racing wheel and I was hoping I could get some advice on what I've been looking at.

After much Googling, I've decided to get the Thrustmaster T150. I'm not working to a budget, but I don't want to spend a fortune on something that may be far more than I need. I've seen alot of reviews saying the T150 is a good entry-level wheel, and I think I'd prefer this hybrid mix of belt + gears over the helical gears of the new Logitech wheels.

I'll be playing exclusively on PC and these are the games I intend to use the T150 for:

Project CARS
Dirt Rally
Dirt 3
F1 2010
F1 2013
Assetto Corsa

Has anyone got experience of using this wheel with older games like Dirt 3 or F1 2013? I can't find much about those combinations.

Along with the wheel, I'm going to get a stand. I was originally looking at a Wheel Stand Pro, but the version that supports the Thrustmaster wheels seems to be much more expensive than the versions for other brands. I've also seen mention of the central pole that supports the wheel making things uncomfortable. Having never tried one of these stands, I have no idea what it would be like. So, I've been looking at getting the GT Omega Racing Wheel Stand (http://www.gtomegaracing.com/wheel-stands/gt-omega-steering-wheel-stand).

While I am looking at an entry-level wheel, I'm also thinking of the future. I'm certain I'll enjoy using the wheel (I've been happy enough with a control pad for years), but I don't know if I'll want to upgrade in the future, so I figured I'd spend a bit more now to make sure I get something decent enough to last a while and be available for better equipment.

Has anyone used this stand? Has anyone used it with the T150 and it's pedals? The stand doesn't seem to have pre-drilled holes for the T150, so I'm curious how the combination performs.

I'm not in any rush to buy, but I'd like to get a wheel and stand soon if possible.

I'd very much appreciate any and all advice I can get on this. Even though I could afford more expensive items, this is still alot of money I'm putting down, so I want to make sure I'm buying what's good for me.

I think that's all I wanted to say.

Thanks for reading. :)

DreamsKnight
22-04-2016, 23:26
I was a pad user, i never tried a sim, i fell in love with pcars, i buy a g27 and wheel stand pro, i modified the pedals and these days i'm building a rig.

So i was where you are and be sure you will be where i am now. :D

About wheel stand pro: it is good, solid, worth the money, zero problems. About the leg think: i also read this think, but i don't have problems. I think people mount the pedals in a wrong way, it is impossibile

About wheel: no gearshift, no clutch. Pcars is not need for speed. Imho without clutch and gearshift you kill your experience.

PS: i don't know where are you from, but i sell my stand pro.

xtro
23-04-2016, 03:20
Hello spudcake

I recently (last week) did the same thing... bought a wheel and received my stand a couple days ago. I originally bought a T150 (ps4) but returned it after 2 days. It felt really notchy and even though it was a totally different experience than with a controller I felt like i spent 200 bucks on something that felt a bit gimicky like a toy... luckily I was able to get a full refund and spent an extra 100 on a T300. This thing is awesome. It is standing on a wheel stand pro v2. And right now this is a total pleasure to drive. It feels great... much sturdier than the t150 and i'm already looking fw to upgrade the experience with a shifter and clutch (maybe for assetto corsa).

Hope this helps. Get a damn wheel!! cheers

morpwr
23-04-2016, 03:36
I agree I would skip the low end wheel or youll just be sorry and buy a better one anyways. The t300 is a great wheel and upgradable which is a nice feature. I just bought the 599 wheel for mine and it makes a big difference. Once you buy a good wheel youll be hooked. Id also skip the cheaper pedals and just get the tp3a pros youll be a lot happier. I had the original pedals that came with the t300 before they made the base separate and they suck. The t3pa pros at least have the brake mod with it. Its not a load cell but it better than nothing at all. You might not think its a big deal now but youll notice it once you start using it. Can you be fast without loadcells,brake mods,bigger wheels yes but its a lot easier with them.

Udd-
23-04-2016, 04:50
Would highly recommend the gt omega stand, good if you want to upgrade with a seat later on, wich you will :) I use it with a G29 and loving it.

Spudcake
23-04-2016, 09:57
Hello again. Thanks for the replies.

Well, this has given me something to think about. I suppose my choice is paying less now but more overall if I upgrade (which is likely), or just pay the extra at the beginning. I am leaning towards paying the extra. I was a bit cheap when I bought my PC in 2014; despite being 100 under budget I decided not to spend an extra 30 to double my RAM, so I'll try to learn from that mistake.

I'm looking at getting the T300 Ferrari GTE wheel, T3PA pedals and GT Omega stand, for a total of ~400. I'm willing to spend more than I initially planned, but I don't want to go too crazy.

I can use the clutch pedal without the H-Shifter can't I?

The more I think about these items, the more I feel I'd better spending this money now. Those city driving simulators look interesting aswell, so I may get one of them and the H-shifter at some point.

I'm still open to opinions and advice. I may order all of this in the next day or two.

Thanks again.

DreamsKnight
23-04-2016, 10:37

Well, this has given me something to think about. I suppose my choice is paying less now but more overall if I upgrade (which is likely), or just pay the extra at the beginning. I am leaning towards paying the extra. I was a bit cheap when I bought my PC in 2014; despite being 100 under budget I decided not to spend an extra 30 to double my RAM, so I'll try to learn from that mistake.

I'm looking at getting the T300 Ferrari GTE wheel, T3PA pedals and GT Omega stand, for a total of ~400. I'm willing to spend more than I initially planned, but I don't want to go too crazy.

The more I think about these items, the more I feel I'd better spending this money now. Those city driving simulators look interesting aswell, so I may get one of them and the H-shifter at some point.

I'm still open to opinions and advice. I may order all of this in the next day or two.

Thanks again.

to drive old cars like m1 procars, lotus 98T, the GR5 group etc with paddles is a punch in a eye. the H shifter is your ram. ;)

you can search also for used g27, or used t500RS

i think the t500 +hshifter is the best buy before fanatec.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/it_IT/prodotti/t500rs

poirqc
23-04-2016, 10:55

Thanks again.

If driving older cars, with a manual transmission, is your thing, you'll be glad you bought an H shifter. It's THAT fun!

TopAirspace
23-04-2016, 11:29
I Literally Just purchased a thrustmaster TX online just yesterday.. now the WAIT

Haiden
23-04-2016, 14:01

Thanks again.

Good choice. If it's within your budget, then definitely go with the T300. Because, if you're into sim racing, then getting an FFB wheel is the beginning of an addiction. If money isn't an issue, then you're just going to end up with a T300 anyway, so don't waste the cash on the lower end model. I have a GT Omega Art cockpit. That stand is basically just the front end of the cockpit, so it should be just as sturdy as the rig. Before my rig, I had a Wheel Stand Pro. It was a great stand, and worked well with my standard T300 pedals. But when I upgraded to the three pedal T3PA Pros, the center post was incredibly annoying.

And, yes. You can use the clutch without the shifter. I don't have a shifter, but use my clutch for race starts. If I was going to use it for shifting gears, I'd get the shifter.

DreamsKnight
23-04-2016, 15:43
Good choice. If it's within your budget, then definitely go with the T300. Because, if you're into sim racing, then getting an FFB wheel is the beginning of an addiction. If money isn't an issue, then you're just going to end up with a T300 anyway, so don't waste the cash on the lower end model. I have a GT Omega Art cockpit. That stand is basically just the front end of the cockpit, so it should be just as sturdy as the rig. Before my rig, I had a Wheel Stand Pro. It was a great stand, and worked well with my standard T300 pedals. But when I upgraded to the three pedal T3PA Pros, the center post was incredibly annoying.

And, yes. You can use the clutch without the shifter. I don't have a shifter, but use my clutch for race starts. If I was going to use it for shifting gears, I'd get the shifter.

i really can't understand how the center post is annoying. i have 3 pedals too, but my legs are several cm away from it.

Spudcake
24-04-2016, 21:07
I've decided to get the wheel, pedals and stand that I mentioned above. I'll get the shifter, along with a decent chair and extra bit for the stand, at a later date. I'm not working to a budget, but I don't want to go too crazy at the moment.

I really appreciate the advice from you all. I think that T150 would have been a mistake.

Thanks. :)

EDIT: Erm, is the GT Omega stand pre-drilled for the T3PA pedals? I can't find any references or images showing the T3PA pedals used with the stand, but the GT Omega site says it comes pre-drilled for the T3PA-PRO (F1/GT) pedals.

SlowBloke
25-04-2016, 04:52
Solid choice Imo.

Spudcake
25-04-2016, 11:48
So I've ordered the wheel and pedals, gone to order the GT Omega stand and discovered it's out of stock until the 20th of May. :rolleyes:

I believe that's known as "The Law of the Sod".

I've decided that I will get the shifter at some point, so I'll buy the stand with the shifter bars now and save myself 7 in delivery charges at a later date.

I still don't know if the T3PA can be hard-mounted though. Some places say the T3PA and T3PA-PRO have the same mounting holes while other places say the T3PA can't be hard-mounted but the T3PA-PRO can.

Spudcake
16-05-2016, 12:08
Well, everything but the stand is here now. I've even got the TH8A (it was only 96). The boxes full of sim-racing goodness are sat behind me waiting patiently for the stand, which I'll hopefully have before the end of the week.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for shoes and gloves that I could use with this rig. I don't want to spend too much. In terms of shoes, the best I've seen so far are some Hot Tuna surfing pump things at Sports Direct. I've been looking at racing shoes on Ebay but I've not really found anything below 40.

graveltrap
16-05-2016, 12:42
I had to drill the bottom of my omega wheel stand, for the basic T3PA pedals. I put in two sets of holes with the intention to slot, but test fit worked out ok...

The shifter also mounted to low for my sofa, luckily I had some hole centre problems so Omega sent me a couple of spare arms which got modified to raise the shifter to sofa friendly height ;)

Spudcake
16-05-2016, 18:44
Thanks for the pictures. The setup looks great.

Is the shifter bracket still attached to a bar at the base of the stand?

Also, did you put the stand on a rug for any particular reason?

graveltrap
16-05-2016, 19:01
I bought the V2 shifter mount it bolts up a little differently, the one that mounts to the bottom of the base probably wouldn't work for my sofa based application. You can see where the V2 is actually supposed to mount, the two holes where the cables are wrapped around the support leg.

The rug is just a rug, its there to hide worn out carpet that I should really replace ;) :)

Spudcake
16-05-2016, 21:31
Ahh, now I see exactly what you've done. I didn't realise there was more than one way to mount the shifter.

This (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GT-Omega-Steering-Wheel-stand-for-Thrustmaster-TX-Racing-wheel-TH8A-shifter-PRO-/131643104114) is what I've ordered.

I thought the rug might have been something to do with sound from using the wheel. :rolleyes:

Spudcake
21-05-2016, 17:12
I've got it all set up now, and it is magnificent. I had to drill the base of the stand to mount the T3PA, but it only required a couple of 6mm holes. The pedals are fully secure now.

http://i.imgur.com/RkKao5B.jpg

I've been configuring the rig for 4 games (Project CARS, Assetto Corsa, DiRT Rally and F1 2013), and it's like I'm playing completely different games. With a gamepad I was only interested in racing because I couldn't feel the cars, but with the wheel operating the vehicles in any context is bliss, especially with the H-Shifter.

So thanks again for the advice and recommendations. I truly believe I would have made big mistakes in getting the T150 and not getting the TH8A so soon. :D