PDA

View Full Version : launching off the grid

musomaniac
24-04-2016, 13:06
hi everyone , i'm pretty new to project cars , so i apologise now if any of my questions seem silly , anyway , i have been racing the LMP1 at Brands Hatch GP circuit on the solo career mode , but , i cant get off the grid quick enough and end up usually well down the field .
The car just bogs down and takes forever to get off the grid , i have tried shortening the gear ratios but it makes no difference , is there something i'm missing ,,as the AI cars just seem to be catapulted from a standing start .

Also on the straights the AI just dissappear into the distance so any places i have managed to gain , i lose again on the straights , again i have tried different gear ratios and down force to no effect.

I'm using a Logitech G29 wheel with pedals , manual gears , and assists set to real in the setup , i've also tried auto clutch which to me makes the launch even worse

Shadowoff
24-04-2016, 13:10
Which LMP1 are you driving? Hybrid powered or normal? Hybrids (Toyota TS040, Audi R18 E-Tron Quattro , RWD P20 LMP1 and Marek LMP1) have better acceleration. To get some more straight line speed you can reduce the downforce and open the radiotor a little bit. Also try to get as soon as possible on throttle.

musomaniac
24-04-2016, 13:29
Which LMP1 are you driving? Hybrid powered or normal? Hybrids (Toyota TS040, Audi R18 E-Tron Quattro , RWD P20 LMP1 and Marek LMP1) have better acceleration. To get some more straight line speed you can reduce the downforce and open the radiotor a little bit. Also try to get as soon as possible on throttle.

thanks shadowoff , i'm using the RWD P20 LMP1 , Its so slow off the line , as soon as the clutch begins to engage it bogs down , i've tried slipping it and engaging slowly , but the other cars just dissappear , i have the downforce on both wings at 4 , to try and help straight line speed which hasn't helped , maybe i need to go to 1or 2 , i also havent tried the radiator opening yet .

My main concern is getting off the line and not being left behind . I have even tried jumping the lights by a BIG margin to try and give it time to spool up and still i get left behind

musomaniac
24-04-2016, 14:55
Anyone got anymore advice , or is it just down to my lack of experience

bporion
24-04-2016, 16:21
A.I dificulty set too hight maybe ?

FS7
24-04-2016, 16:54
Anyone got anymore advice , or is it just down to my lack of experience
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?42948-How-to-get-a-good-start

Mauler_77
24-04-2016, 20:09
I always make sure my revs aren't too high when the lights go green as there's always a big drop off before they come up again if you're flooring the accelerator through the whole lights sequence. At the lights I keep my foot on the brake, switch to 1st, then floor it just before the lights go green, any earlier and the revs drop down, any later and you'll be left behind. Makes for the best starts for me every time.

musomaniac
24-04-2016, 20:21
i've heard from a few sources that a handbrake start can be used even with cars that do not have a handbrake , but ....... it seems it cant be done with the rwd p20 lmp1 , i tried remapping the handbrake button but no handbrake .

I done a qualifying lap with the lmp1 at brsnds hatch gp track , with AI set to approx 50% , i managed second on the grid , but ended up dead last on launch ,

could someone with more experience than me , have a go in the rwd p20 lmp1 in solo career mode at brands hatch with AI on 50% and see jow they fare on race start ?

This is driving me mad ...pardon the pun

FS7
24-04-2016, 20:39
i've heard from a few sources that a handbrake start can be used even with cars that do not have a handbrake , but ....... it seems it cant be done with the rwd p20 lmp1 , i tried remapping the handbrake button but no handbrake .

I done a qualifying lap with the lmp1 at brsnds hatch gp track , with AI set to approx 50% , i managed second on the grid , but ended up dead last on launch ,

could someone with more experience than me , have a go in the rwd p20 lmp1 in solo career mode at brands hatch with AI on 50% and see jow they fare on race start ?

This is driving me mad ...pardon the pun
Did you watch the video in the link in my previous post?

I just did a test, solo mode race, RWD P30 LMP1, Brands Hatch GP, 75% AI, realistic aids, automatic clutch, DS4.
I selected 1st gear, held handbrake during red lights, full throttle, released handbrake when light turned green, car started fine and I lost only 1 position because I took turn 1 too wide.

musomaniac
24-04-2016, 22:19
cant find that particular video fs7 , is it on your youtube channel ?

tmitch45
24-04-2016, 22:31

Click on the link he gave you its in the 2nd post.

musomaniac
24-04-2016, 23:04
s it the video called "all you need to know about race starts" thats the only one coming up for me , and that vid is by DYR_GL PSN , I've watched that video a few times as i'm subscribed to dyr_gl Psn channel , he doesnt have a rwd p20 lmt1 on that video

Rambo_Commando
25-04-2016, 03:56
s it the video called "all you need to know about race starts" thats the only one coming up for me , and that vid is by DYR_GL PSN , I've watched that video a few times as i'm subscribed to dyr_gl Psn channel , he doesnt have a rwd p20 lmt1 on that video

Isn't the RWD P20 an LMP2 car?

FS7
25-04-2016, 13:24

Yes, that's the video I'm talking about.
If you can qualify in the front of the grid you definitely have the pace to keep up with the AI, no need to decrease the difficulty, if the cars bogs down at the start it probably means you're not using enough power at the start. I've driven the RWD P30 LMP1 & RWD P20 LMP2 many times, using real assists & auto clutch I select 1st gear, hold the handbrake, hold full throttle, release handbrake when the light turns green and the car starts normally.

musomaniac
25-04-2016, 16:35
how do you apply,the handbrake then ? In settings it was defaulted to "X" but when i was pressing x on the wheel (logitech g29) nothing happens , so i tried remapping it to the down button and still no handbrake

FS7
25-04-2016, 17:08
how do you apply,the handbrake then ? In settings it was defaulted to "X" but when i was pressing x on the wheel (logitech g29) nothing happens , so i tried remapping it to the down button and still no handbrake
That's odd.
Have you tried practicing standing starts in solo practice? Stop the car on a straight, select 1st gear, hold handbrake, hold throttle, the revs will go up but the car won't move, when you release the handbrake button the car moves. That's how it works on a DS4 controller with auto clutch enabled, I'm not sure about settings on a wheel.

Mahjik
25-04-2016, 17:10
Not every car has a handbrake (i.e. racing cars typically do not).

blankfile
25-04-2016, 17:16
The RWD is a high rpm turbo car, it is pretty much always slow off the line unless you rev it just right and you lower the first gear ratio enough

FS7
25-04-2016, 17:20
Not every car has a handbrake (i.e. racing cars typically do not).
True, but iirc holding the handbrake button while reving up the engine on a standing start works on all cars I tried, all LMPs, all GTs, all open-wheels.

musomaniac
25-04-2016, 18:01
The RWD is a high rpm turbo car, it is pretty much always slow off the line unless you rev it just right and you lower the first gear ratio enough

i cant lower 1st gear ratio any further than it already is , plus on the straights the AI leave me standing , so any places i have managed to gain on the corners, i lose again on the straights , i've tried decreasing down force on the wings , lowered fuel, but still get wiped out on the straights !!!!

wolowizzard
25-04-2016, 23:23
Checked in telemetry screen that you are on full throttle? AI 50% should not be full throttle on the straights, so you should be faster there no matter what wings you have. At least that's my experience. You need to go somewhere between AI 80-90% to have them not loosing significantly on the straights (meaning that's where you need a fair corner exit and okay setup to be faster then AI on the straights if in same car).
Could think about pedal recalibration in your case.

musomaniac
26-04-2016, 10:10
i'll recalibrate the pedal ,and will try and get a video to show whats happening , might be a while tho , cos i dont know how to go about the video thing

hkraft300
26-04-2016, 22:07
Set a button for HUD so you can switch to telemetry screen.
Hit the share button on DS4 to bring up the screen capture mode.