PDA

View Full Version : Controller: manual of automatic?

QVR0501
26-04-2016, 21:15
Just out of curiousity I'd like to know how many people use manual on their controllers.

Personally I use manual with R1 upshifts and square for downshifts (PS4) and it works really well. The original layout of the controller didn't do it at all for me since I couldn't get a good feeling over the car while downshifting.
And unfortunatelly I won't be getting a wheel because racing is not my number one focus. (I'd love to have one though, I just think they are a bit to expensive)

Thanks for letting me know :)

Spudcake
26-04-2016, 21:17
I've been using automatic with my XBOX360 controller. I was getting quite good with manual transmissions on Gran Turismo 4 with the Dualshock 2, but I don't feel like I've got a good grip on the pads that have triggers instead of buttons.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
26-04-2016, 21:24
When I play with my X360 pad (at times when I can't use my wheel for whatever reason) I always play with manual gears. The automatic gears are really dimwitted and I'm never in the gear I want to, or need to be in.

I did switch the shift up and down to the A and X buttons.

FS7
26-04-2016, 21:24
I use triggers for gas/brake, triangle/Y for upshift, square/X for downshift in all my racing games.

kevin kirk
26-04-2016, 21:34
i use buttons for shifting gears with manual gears. For paddle shifts cars be sure you turn off auto clutch and map clutch and start engine.

hkraft300
26-04-2016, 22:03
Manual.
R stick for shifting up/down (down for + gear, up for - gear)

Rambo_Commando
27-04-2016, 01:33
I only use manual gear with the DS4. I'm a bit old school, I use left stick for steering, right stick for accel/brake and L1/R1 for shifting.

shrike005
27-04-2016, 05:23
Always manual. It doesn't feel like one is actualy controlling a vehicle if vehicle shifts gears automaticaly.
I use L2 for brake, R2 for throttle, X for upshift, square for downshift, L1 for KERS, left stick for turning the wheel, right stick for looking around.

hkraft300
27-04-2016, 06:46
^+1
I get more predictability and control using manual shifting.

I only use manual gear with the DS4. I'm a bit old school, I use left stick for steering, right stick for accel/brake and L1/R1 for shifting.

I used to do it this way then switched through one of the older PS generations where I felt the triggers were more linear than the R stick.
Now in pcars though its all adjustable.

APR193
27-04-2016, 08:32
I always always change gear up to RB and gear down to LB on all racing games. Always used to use manual as I hated using X/B/A whatever it may be for changing gear. First time I tried the two bumpers I've never changed it back.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
27-04-2016, 11:04
I always always change gear up to RB and gear down to LB on all racing games.I think it was like that by default here. The reason I couldn't even begin to use it was because it made shifting down while braking impossible, since I use the trigger with my index finger.

AkutoUK
27-04-2016, 19:16
Since the days of Gran Turismo 2 I have only used manual gears with a pad for circuit racing. Since GT5 when I bought my first wheel (Driving Force GT) every driving game is set to manual gears. (With the PS4 I now use a Thrustmaster T300RS)

Dying_Snail
27-04-2016, 22:00
I've used manual gear since Hard Driving on the Mega Drive and F1GP on Amiga couldn't do that now how I did it then using up and down on the d-pad I don't know.
PCars I use R2=Throttle, L2= Brake and square= up shift, X= down shift and L3= clutch pretty much how I setup most driving games barring the clutch never really used it apart from Hard Driving and PCars.
Used X and A since the original Xbox and on 360 and square and X since ps3 before that on ps1 and 2 I used R1 and L1 for shifting.

JessicaWalter
28-04-2016, 01:00
i use manual with clutch. L1 is clutch and up/down on right stick is shift up/down

DECATUR PLAYA
28-04-2016, 02:57
I use automatic transmission. I get the whole manual gears thing and having full control of the car thing but on a controller switching gears just doesn't feel good to me and I drive manual gears in my real life car and for my job.

With the automatic transmission I was able to get into the top 50 of most community events that I entered on xbox 1 and I have won lots of online races with automatic gears.

Most guys don't use auto gears but with careful manipulation of the throttle and brakes you can control what's going inside that automatic transmission and maintain control over your gearing. Even though I'm using auto gears if you were to just watch my hands as I drove especially through turns you would think I was driving manual.

DEDDGUY3
28-04-2016, 03:07
i use automatic, and on a g25 comes with a shifter. lets me concentrate on gas brake and steering more. selecting proper gear ratios is the key to being as fast as a mt.

Ryzza5
28-04-2016, 03:43
If I do use gamepad instead of the wheel I'm usually not in a hurry to begin with, so auto.

I don't know why, but one exception to that is Gran Turismo games (maybe their AT is worse?)