PDA

View Full Version : Has PCARS included these features yet, or will it be ready for PCARS2?

Bongomaster
28-04-2016, 11:37
Hi all,

I'm raring to get into Project CARS, but probably going to wait for PCARS2 instead of investing my time in this first installment. I see PCARS1 as a kind of (VERY polished) Beta or early-access for PCARS2. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating, I love the idea of the game, have loved SMS since the Shift series. I actually bought PCARS when it came out, but stopped playing pretty quickly because there were quite a few game-breaking bugs in the early days (most notably AI that wasn't effected by the weather). Many of these issues took a long time to be fixed and as a result I never got back into the game. But I really want to, and PCARS2 can't come soon enough for me, because I know that by then the foundations will be well and truly set. I know some of these opening comments probably won't be popular but hear me out and please let me know if my concerns below are justified or already addressed.

I just want to air my concerns and hopes for what may or may not have already been added to the PCARS experience since I left.
Dynamic wheel setup: The wheel controls should automatically change depending on your car. Old cars use full 900deg steering, more modern ones 540deg or less, depending on real-life, WITHOUT HAVING TO GO AND SET UP A SPECIFIC CONTROL LAYOUT. Steering weighting should also change accordingly. Most importantly for me I want it to automatically change to H-Pattern, Paddle-shift or Sequential stick-shift (3rd & 4th on H-Pattern) depending on the car. I don't recall maybe PCARS already did some of this, but Dirt Rally is a good example of how most of this can be done.

All cars all tracks available in career: I spend most of my time in career mode and it sucked how the additional cars and tracks weren't included in career mode. So you would play career to death and not even get to play tracks like Ruapuna and Rouen. A bunch of GT3 cars were added and couldn't be used in career mode also. I think they finally added the DLC cars to career mode, but they need to add the tracks to career mode also. Or have they done this now too?

Also, where can I go to discuss PCARS2? The forum is private (for investors only?)

Thanks for reading!

Sankyo
28-04-2016, 11:40
The dynamic wheel setup is already in the game. The DLC tracks and cars are not easily included in the basic career path, but they are available in invitational events.

Discussing pCARS2 is too early days, at least on this official pCARS1 forum.

Bongomaster
28-04-2016, 11:55
OK cool. Maybe I should just dip back into the game.
I thought I heard PCARS2 would be due out at the end of the year, or is that just BS?

I realise that adding the DLC tracks to the current structure is more difficult than adding the cars, but I'm sure SMS are smart enough to do it :) Plenty of empty spaces on that calendar or maybe they need a different structure for the next game. Dirt Rally (yes, I'm a fan) had a pretty good albeit simple method of adding events during early access. For example, a championship should randomly select 12 GP tracks from the current pool of GP tracks in-game. Then if another GP track is added as DLC it is added to this pool. That's one possibility.

AbeWoz
28-04-2016, 11:56
I thought I heard PCARS2 would be due out at the end of the year, or is that just BS?

end of this year? no.
there is a speculation thread as to when it will be released. but no official or unofficial date has been mentioned or even hinted at.

Invincible
28-04-2016, 12:08

End of this year? I call BS. :p

For the dynamic steering, just set up you wheel to the full range it has. The game will apply a soft lock on cars which use less than that.
Dunno about the H-Shifter 3rd & 4th as sequential thing though. I think this also depends on you shifter.

Sankyo
28-04-2016, 12:30
Most importantly for me I want it to automatically change to H-Pattern, Paddle-shift or Sequential stick-shift (3rd & 4th on H-Pattern) depending on the car. I don't recall maybe PCARS already did some of this, but Dirt Rally is a good example of how most of this can be done.

Missed this one. pCARS definitely does not treat the H-shifter as a sequential shifter if the car you chose has a sequential shifter in real life. However, it will limit how you can use the H-shifter (i.e. you can only sequentially move through the gears and not skip gears), and basically 'expects' you to use the paddle shifters.

BTW does it really work to use the H-shifter as a sequential shifter, i.e. you have to push and pull the shifter back to neutral with each gear shift?

Invincible
28-04-2016, 13:15
BTW does it really work to use the H-shifter as a sequential shifter, i.e. you have to push and pull the shifter back to neutral with each gear shift?

This made me wonder too... :confused:

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
28-04-2016, 14:17
Missed this one. pCARS definitely does not treat the H-shifter as a sequential shifter if the car you chose has a sequential shifter in real life. However, it will limit how you can use the H-shifter (i.e. you can only sequentially move through the gears and not skip gears), and basically 'expects' you to use the paddle shifters.

BTW does it really work to use the H-shifter as a sequential shifter, i.e. you have to push and pull the shifter back to neutral with each gear shift?Yeah, there would have been a solution for that (one which I suggested during dev even, too bad it didn't get implemented) of having separate controls for Gear Up (paddle), Gear Down (paddle), Gear Up (stick) and Gear Down (stick). So if the car you're driving has an H-shifter and you have configured buttons for separate gears it'll ignore the Gear Up/Down commands, but if the car has a sequential box it ignores the H-shifter commands and listends to the two sets of Gear Up/Down commands.

As for it working, that depends on the shifter in question. In the G25 shifter that has separate sequential and h-gate modes it still uses the same buttons for both, IIRC the gear down & up are the same buttons as 1st and 2nd gear. So there it definitely works great. On the G27 shifter there's no separate mode for sequential, but it's superlatively easy to "mod" the shifter temporarily into a sequential with a couple of rubber bands:

IIRC the Fanatec and Thrustmaster shifters also use the same buttons for individual gears and the sequential modes, so yeah, the functionality would work there as well.

And of course having the paddles and stick sequential controls separate would allow you to use a standalone sequential shifter more easily. Basically you could have paddles, a standalone sequential stick and an H-gate shifter all connected and configured at the same time and wouldn't have change the controls around when switching between cars.

It'd already go a long way if you could frigging save multiple controller setups, you'd just quickly load between them, which is what I did in rFactor. It'd also help people with multiple rims where the buttons are either in different places or there's a different number of them, like with the T500 GT and F1 rims. I rarely use the F1 rim, not because it's a bother to change the rim or because I don't drive cars where it's suitable (I drive the Mono after all), but because I have to remap all of the buttons again with that rim...

So yeah, separate assignments for paddle and stick gear up/down, and ones that are allowed to overlap the individual gear controls (because on most shifters they'll be the same button from the game's point of view), and ability to save multiple controller setups, that's what I'd love to see in pCARS 2.

FS7
28-04-2016, 14:36
All cars all tracks available in career: I spend most of my time in career mode and it sucked how the additional cars and tracks weren't included in career mode. So you would play career to death and not even get to play tracks like Ruapuna and Rouen. A bunch of GT3 cars were added and couldn't be used in career mode also. I think they finally added the DLC cars to career mode, but they need to add the tracks to career mode also. Or have they done this now too?
Some wrong information in your post, here's the actual information:

Tracks not used in career: Cadwell Park, Willow Springs.
Cars not used in career: McLaren F1 GTR, Mercedes-Benz C-Class Coupe DTM, Mercedes-Benz CLK-LM.

Aside from the ones above every other car & track is used in career. All GT3s can be used in the GT3 championships, all LMP1s can be used in LMP1 championships, but they can't be used in endurance championships. All road cars can be used in the events for their respective classes. All the DLC tracks so far had invitational events to go along with them.

I remember reading comments on the Instagram page that SMS will release information on PCars2 later this year, I don't expect the actual game to be released anytime soon.

Bongomaster
29-04-2016, 00:21
Thanks for your comments guys.

Haha, yeah the rubber band method is one way of doing it. I used to have it bound up like that but found that after I took them off a year later it had made the gears kinda sticky in 3rd and 4th, but it's worked itself back to normal now (amazed at build quality of G27). I actually do set it up for 3rd/4th sequential every now and again without the rubber band. A little weird to start with because yes you do have to reset it to neutral at every shift, but becomes a pretty natural little flick of the wrist after a bit of time.

Jussi, your suggestion of having a an "up-shift stick", "down-shift stick" input would work perfectly since sequential override would ignore the H-patterns usual function. Hear this, devs!