PDA

View Full Version : Gamecontroller and Deadzone - why is deadzone 0 not deadzone 0?

Raphael84
30-04-2016, 17:28
Hello,

just bought pcars. After a break of nearly two years I wanted to restart my car-simulation carreer. For I no longer have a wheel I now wanted to drive with my gamepad wich ist very accurate and a good choice for s.im-driving. Yeah I know, it's not a wheel but that option is just not possible right now.

No matter. I bought pcars, lowered steering-deadzone to 0% to see if 0% really is 0 %. My gamepad has a slight drift to the right and needs at least 0.7 % deadzone to compensate this. But the car is driving straight forward. There IS a deadzone and I would estimate it to be nearly 4 %. That really makes driving suck because the pad is designed for 1 % deadzone and not more.

So my question is if there is a tweak out there to fix this issue for I have seen that also some wheel users have such large deadzones. With Shift 2 it's the same problem because the preconfiguration files for controllers add a deadzone wich is quite gigantic.

I hope somebody can help me with that issue. I really love racing sims and was looking forward to pcars for a very long time. But as much to often even simple and essential Options cannot be edited.

Roger Prynne
30-04-2016, 18:05
The DZ setting is to remove the DZ, so if you have a DZ of 0.5% for example then you are removing that much DZ.
0% DZ means you still have all the DZ that your wheel/controller has.

Raphael84
30-04-2016, 19:32
That is simply not true. I just raised the DZ-value in game to max and guess what happend! The DZ was muuuuuuch larger than before. So more DZ doesen't mean subtraction. It seems that there is some DZR Option off game but I don't know where to find it.

Roger Prynne
30-04-2016, 20:39
Ah... you are talking about Steering Deadzone? I thought you meant Deadzone Removal Range (which is in the Calibrate Force Feedback menu)
Sorry my bad :rolleyes:

Raphael84
30-04-2016, 21:14
Ah. That's, of course, just an option available for Wheels and has no effect on gamepads. It's really horrific. Even if I simulate a wheel this option doesn't remove any deadzone. I'll go on trying tomorrow. For today I had enough and got slightly mad ;)

Pr3t3nd3r
30-04-2016, 22:13
Ah. That's, of course, just an option available for Wheels and has no effect on gamepads. It's really horrific. Even if I simulate a wheel this option doesn't remove any deadzone. I'll go on trying tomorrow. For today I had enough and got slightly mad ;)

Leave me a PM and will gladly help you with the deadzone ;) I had the exact same problem and have solved it ;)

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
01-05-2016, 01:32
Leave me a PM and will gladly help you with the deadzone ;) I had the exact same problem and have solved it ;)May I ask you to post it here for everyone to see, it might be helpful after all? =)

Pr3t3nd3r
01-05-2016, 11:51
May I ask you to post it here for everyone to see, it might be helpful after all? =)

Sure ;)

Here it is with some explanation:

From those two links you can see my preset:

1. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xdxwqm7s1z4lnkd/pCARS64_2016_05_01_13_23_46_492.bmp?dl=0
2. https://www.dropbox.com/s/aa6pda6rs7z8j5j/pCARS64_2016_05_01_13_23_52_419.bmp?dl=0

From the first link you can see that I have marked Steering Deadzone and Steering Sensitivity.

Those two are very connected with each other. You can put Deadzone to 0 but wont act like a Deadzone set to 0 if you don't have Steering Sensitivity set high enough. So, if you set Deadzone to 0 and you have low Steering Sensitivity pad won't recognize your "micro corrections" (Deadzone is directly connected with the Steering Sensitivity in this game it seems). That's why I have put Steering Deadzone to 0 and Steering Sensitivity to 35. That's how you ensure that Deadzone will work as it should with the Deadzone set to 0.

Next step is setting Speed Sensitivity and Controller Filtering Sensitivity.

Those two are also connected with the Steering Sensitivity. You have to find a proper settings that suits you. I have set Speed Sensitivity to 45 and Controller Filtering Sensitivity to 48. Why is that? Well Speed Sensitivity defines how well can you take the corners and how will car act at low and a high speed through the corners. You can set it however you like. But Controller Filtering Sensitivity defines how will car act when you steer. It is connected directly with the Steering Sensitivity. If you set it to 0 car will turn so fast that you won't be able to control it. So, you have to make sure that car won't turn to fast and won't turn to slow and will properly react to your movements and steering wheel. If you set it to high you will see that steering wheel is acting to your movement but the car wont turn because it's filtering is set to high. On the other side if you set Filtering to low car will turn to fast again. I have set it to 48 because the steering wheel reacts in the same way as car is turning.

Now lets go to the second link.

You can see that I have marked another set of options.

Those are very important because they define everything. The most important thing is which Controller Input Mode will you select. You can select presets from 1 to 3. I have selected preset No. 2. Be aware, if you select another preset those settings from the first link won't act the same as it will for the Mode No. 2!!!

To make those settings available you have to turn ON the Advance Mode. If you don't turn it settings below it won't be available !!! You can put those settings however you like but I recommend turning all of them on except the last one which is Opposite Lock Help. I have figured out that if you turn ON Soft Steering Dampening and Visual Wheel Filtering cars will act more naturally. But again put it however you like ;)

But be aware!!! I recommend it you setting buttons for the controller and saving the preset under the tab ASSIGNMENTS because if you first make changes to the tab CONFIGURATION settings will be reverted back to the default!

I hope I was able to help you. For any other questions you are welcome to ask! ;)

Wish you best!

Pretender :)

Raphael84
01-05-2016, 15:28
Nice setup. At least the car is nearly controllable. But the deadzone still ist way too huge. And so it's just a lucky game to make microcorrections. Impossible to correct by a fraction of a degree like in games where I can set DZ to the neccessary 0,2 %. So I always get a minimum steering output of at least 3 or more degrees wich makes smooth steering impossible. I'm through with it. Never again a game from Slightly mad. Who are they to predefine controller deadzone? Are they just coding for their private hardware?

Pr3t3nd3r
01-05-2016, 16:20
Nice setup. At least the car is nearly controllable. But the deadzone still ist way too huge. And so it's just a lucky game to make microcorrections. Impossible to correct by a fraction of a degree like in games where I can set DZ to the neccessary 0,2 %. So I always get a minimum steering output of at least 3 or more degrees wich makes smooth steering impossible. I'm through with it. Never again a game from Slightly mad. Who are they to predefine controller deadzone? Are they just coding for their private hardware?

Believe me I have tried so many times to encourage them that this is not the way how game should respond to our gamepads. As you can see no luck :(

As much as I like this game I am also the one who thinks this is the worst racing game out there how the controller setup is defined. That's why I have stopped playing this game. Even their competitors which haven't released their game on the consoles (yet) are miles ahead of them. I sure hope they will reconsider it for the pCARS 2 (or they will be listening to trolls again which brought this game so far (low?????)). A game with great potential but it sure lacks the interest from the devs (as far as controller settings goes).

I have spent over 100 hours trying to setup the pad properly and still no luck. But I gave up. So many good racing games/sims out there which gives you do the idea how the controller should behave with the car. Well I sure hope you will find the proper setup one day cause I couldn't even when I know how settings work ;)

Raphael84
02-05-2016, 09:12
I have spent over 100 hours trying to setup the pad properly and still no luck. But I gave up. So many good racing games/sims out there which gives you do the idea how the controller should behave with the car. Well I sure hope you will find the proper setup one day cause I couldn't even when I know how settings work ;)

That helps me a lot to save worthful lifetime. I just try to get rid of the game now. It's really sad that things like this happen after so many years of developement. Completely unneccessary and not comprehensible.

Dwayne
05-05-2016, 14:07
Try a wrapper that can do anti-deadzone ;)