PDA

View Full Version : Turning back the clock & GTR2

LeMansnut
04-05-2016, 21:47
I found myself turning the clock back the other day & playing GTR2 GT racing.

I can't believe that a modern racing sim like Project Cars doesn't have certain features that was in an older game like GTR2.

No save feature. For me a must for Project Cars but guess we'll see it in the sequel.
No safety car. Surely a must in a racing sim.
Animated pit crews.

Another feature I don't like is that you can't install multiple liveries per car unles you use 3rd party tools. Same goes for setting you own grid and having multi class races like LMP1,2 & GT classes racing together.

Don't know whether the above was kept out of PC intentially or whether it didn't play on the mind to have these features in.

Having said all this I do love playing PC and feel with the above added I'd really love PC. Rant over.

Sampo
05-05-2016, 00:25
Don't know whether the above was kept out of PC intentially or whether it didn't play on the mind to have these features in.

Neither. I think it was all about starting a new IP with an in-house engine, having a small budget and a relatively small team and having to release the product on several platforms. Now they have a bigger budget and something to build on. That's how it goes.

Don't get me wrong, I think there are things that should have been better with pcars1.

Ian Bell
05-05-2016, 02:32
I found myself turning the clock back the other day & playing GTR2 GT racing.

I can't believe that a modern racing sim like Project Cars doesn't have certain features that was in an older game like GTR2.

No save feature. For me a must for Project Cars but guess we'll see it in the sequel.
No safety car. Surely a must in a racing sim.
Animated pit crews.

Another feature I don't like is that you can't install multiple liveries per car unles you use 3rd party tools. Same goes for setting you own grid and having multi class races like LMP1,2 & GT classes racing together.

Having said all this I do love playing PC and feel with the above added I'd really love PC. Rant over.

GTR2 was much much less expansive and much much more self contained. It was also (if you include our complete mods) the 4th iteration on a pretty stable engine for us. pCARS1 was pretty much a whole new engine and 1st iteration.

shrike005
05-05-2016, 06:59
4th iteration on a pretty stable engine for us.

Ian,

when You say it was a pretty stable engine "for us" does it imply You were with Simbin? Sorry if that's a long known fact. For me, it would explain why I played only Simbin's games and now only ProjectCars. There are similarities. Good ones.

Ian Bell
05-05-2016, 07:02
Ian,

when You say it was a pretty stable engine "for us" does it imply You were with Simbin? Sorry if that's a long known fact. For me, it would explain why I played only Simbin's games and now only ProjectCars. There are similarities. Good ones.

No, I wasn't 'with' SimBin, I formed it myself as SimBin LTD in 2001 taking the role of CEO while doing my PhD. I employed many of the key staff we have at SMS now at that time.

A year or so later we took in some shareholders from Sweden and we agreed to call it SimBin.se where I remained the majority shareholder and Head of Development.

Later, we took all but 3 of the 51 development staff off to form Blimey! Games. Blimey! Games became Slightly Mad Studios. Those staff are pretty much all with us here now.

We made GTR, GTL, GTR2 as SimBin/Blimey.

shrike005
05-05-2016, 08:28
I played GTR thousands of hours. Was single at the time. I played GTR2 hundreds.
Now, I play PCars as much as possible, but I have a family and not much time.
To summarize, thank You for all those and all these hours of great time, sir Ian.

Vittorio Rapa
05-05-2016, 08:30
....and Elite. :rolleyes:

//ian_bell_jokes_off

Ryzza5
05-05-2016, 09:58
Sounds like a good excuse to dig this up again:

http://img.turboduck.net/site/files/2012/11/IanBell2005-547x360.jpg

http://img.turboduck.net/site/files/2012/11/PrevTitles-640x217.jpg
http://www.turboduck.net/2012/11/12/project-cars-reaches-funding-goal/

Joshua Healy
05-05-2016, 10:45
No, I wasn't 'with' SimBin, I formed it myself as SimBin LTD in 2001 taking the role of CEO while doing my PhD. I employed many of the key staff we have at SMS now at that time.

A year or so later we took in some shareholders from Sweden and we agreed to call it SimBin.se where I remained the majority shareholder and Head of Development.

Later, we took all but 3 of the 51 development staff off to form Blimey! Games. Blimey! Games became Slightly Mad Studios. Those staff are pretty much all with us here now.

We made GTR, GTL, GTR2 as SimBin/Blimey.

Don't forget the F1 Challenge mod that set the scene for the first GTR game. :cool:

MrBlacky
05-05-2016, 12:53
Hm. Did GTR3 die for Project Cars?:sorrow:

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
05-05-2016, 12:55
Hm. Did GTR3 die for Project Cars?:sorrow:GTR3 died for RRRE.

Leper Messiah
05-05-2016, 12:56
GTR2....my most played racing Sim...LOVED IT! I dread to think how many hours I ploughed into it.

shrike005
05-05-2016, 13:08
I bought my PS4 and ProjectCars altogether with a payment plan on two years so just about when ProjectCars2 is ready I'll buy that too.
But GTR3? If SMS would make GTR3 just exactly as they did GTR2, nothing more nothing less just modern graphics, I would buy that in instant. Preferably with the same two-page-car-setup menu.

05-05-2016, 13:16
You'd have to ask SimBin about that...

EDIT: Though while we're talking about SMS making games based on other companies' IP, I would absolutely adore a Test Drive Unlimited 3 made by SMS to the same physics fidelity level as pCARS.

TopAirspace
05-05-2016, 14:29

So thats what a Wookie looks like without his fur?

The menu music in Project Cars is a dead give away for anyone familiar with the GTR games of old!

LogRoad
05-05-2016, 15:05
I never did figure out how to drive BMW M3 Challenge with a keyboard. :cool:

You'd have to ask SimBin about that...

EDIT: Though while we're talking about SMS making games based on other companies' IP, I would absolutely adore a Test Drive Unlimited 3 made by SMS to the same physics fidelity level as pCARS.

Jussi: Which island?

Schadows
05-05-2016, 15:21
GTR2 was much much less expansive and much much more self contained. It was also (if you include our complete mods) the 4th iteration on a pretty stable engine for us. pCARS1 was pretty much a whole new engine and 1st iteration.While true (1st iterations of any major racing game is way off the completion of those IP nowadays), it doesn't really change anything for the consumer who is paying the same price as any other game.
Unfortunately for game development studios, making a game cost more and more, but on the other side, the prices at which the game are sold haven't really changed (may be slightly less in average if you count steam sales, etc.).

05-05-2016, 15:46
Jussi: Which island?One with lots of twisty roads. Maybe Okinawa (may have roads a bit too narrow for the most part)? =)

Otherworld
05-05-2016, 18:24
GTR2 was much much less expansive and much much more self contained. It was also (if you include our complete mods) the 4th iteration on a pretty stable engine for us. pCARS1 was pretty much a whole new engine and 1st iteration.

Does that mean that as you grow more and more familiar with the current engine, the chances of seeing features such as Custom Grid, Custom Liveries, In-race Save, or animated pit crews are getting higher?

IJOJOI
05-05-2016, 18:29
Does that mean that as you grow more and more familiar with the current engine, the chances of seeing features such as Custom Grid, Custom Liveries, In-race Save, or animated pit crews are getting higher?

That, and even the addition of new awesome stuff :D

Daynja
05-05-2016, 18:58

The menu music in Project Cars is a dead give away for anyone familiar with the GTR games of old!

Indeed, GTR/2 - Race 07/On/Insert expansion name, vibes.

https://youtu.be/IElFIrtRCvo?t=1m55s

05-05-2016, 19:03
Indeed, GTR/2 - Race 07/On/Insert expansion name, vibes.

https://youtu.be/IElFIrtRCvo?t=1m55sTeam SMS wasn't involved with the Race games anymore though, though I can't say I know for sure if Dr. Baysted was still doing the music.

E_Luckow
05-05-2016, 19:21
GTR2 is an iconic sim. PCars is, IMO, the true sequel of GTR2.

bobfromaccounting
05-05-2016, 19:23
Seeing this thread while still avidly playing GTR-2. Feels good

Daynja
05-05-2016, 19:24

More wookie out of uniform:

Mos Eisley Lan Party

http://i.imgur.com/YhbfYjO.jpg

F1_Racer68
05-05-2016, 21:37
Seeing this thread while still avidly playing GTR-2. Feels good

Hey.. I know you.... I got you hooked on GTR2.... LOL.

Bob is one of several I have had the pleasure of introducing to GTR2. The game is definitely an iconic sim and has incredible "staying power", mainly due to it's ability to be modded. There are many high quality mods STILL being produced for it, and that is why there are so many leauges STILL running on it, even though the game is almost 12 years old now.

@E_Luckow - I completely agree. PCARS is in my mind the spiritual successor to GTR2. I hope PCARS2 is able to incorporate some of the great groundbreaking features that GTR2 introduced into the sim world, such as saving multiple setups per car on a per track basis, and setting up "pre-programmed pit strategies for the race. I would also truly like to see the manual control in and out of the pits as GTR2 had it (I don't care about the pit crew animations. I can take those or leave them.).

bmanic
05-05-2016, 21:58

This is what I've been saying for years! Ever since GTA 3 I've wanted a proper open world racing sim with proper SIMULATOR physics and roads that have enough polygons so as not to cause trouble (Test Drive Unlimited 1, I'm looking at you!).

Rambo_Commando
05-05-2016, 23:05
I love the Test Drive games. I really hope someone makes the open world racing sim come to life one day. But more importantly, I would love to see SMS with the F1 license. I think only SMS an do it justice.

E_Luckow
05-05-2016, 23:56
@E_Luckow - I completely agree. PCARS is in my mind the spiritual successor to GTR2. I hope PCARS2 is able to incorporate some of the great groundbreaking features that GTR2 introduced into the sim world, such as saving multiple setups per car on a per track basis, and setting up "pre-programmed pit strategies for the race. I would also truly like to see the manual control in and out of the pits as GTR2 had it (I don't care about the pit crew animations. I can take those or leave them.).

Mate, yes, there are some missing features, BUT, that feeling came back with PCars. Really.

We have to consider that PCars was under heavy pressure to be released, you know that. I'm sure that PCars2 will show ALL that features GTR2 features and more.

There is only one thing that I would beg for: a Custom Championship.

F1_Racer68
06-05-2016, 00:48
Mate, yes, there are some missing features, BUT, that feeling came back with PCars. Really.

We have to consider that PCars was under heavy pressure to be released, you know that. I'm sure that PCars2 will show ALL that features GTR2 features and more.

There is only one thing that I would beg for: a Custom Championship.

Oh I have very few complaints about PCARS. It still has some issues, primarily for multiplayer, but overall I truly love the game. The items I mentioned above were my "wish list", not complaints by any means. Just things that I would love to see in the game to enhance the current product.

Ian Bell
06-05-2016, 03:56

I look like I ate that guy now.

Ian Bell
06-05-2016, 03:57

Correct. That and the fact we won't try to stick to a crazy one DLC pack per month schedule as we did here.

Cheesenium
06-05-2016, 05:26
Correct. That and the fact we won't try to stick to a crazy one DLC pack per month schedule as we did here.

Does that mean if we might get longer but more gaps in between DLC cycle in pcars 2? I really enjoyed the monthly schedule in pcars 1 though, It made the game had something substantially interesting to look forward to despite I know it would be hard to manage it internally.

Any chance for more DLCs after the Pagani Nurburgring pack in pcars 1?

Ian Bell
06-05-2016, 05:31
Does that mean if we might get longer but more gaps in between DLC cycle in pcars 2? I really enjoyed the monthly schedule in pcars 1 though, It made the game had something substantially interesting to look forward to despite I know it would be hard to manage it internally.

Any chance for more DLCs after the Pagani Nurburgring pack in pcars 1?

Possibly, it's not decided yet but maybe once every 12 weeks or so makes more sense.

Cheesenium
06-05-2016, 05:46
Possibly, it's not decided yet but maybe once every 12 weeks or so makes more sense.

That sounds good to me too, perhaps a more substantial DLC pack would be great too! Like the massive DLC packs Shift 2 had.

Otherworld
06-05-2016, 08:42

Thanks for the answer, that's definitely great news.

LeMansnut
06-05-2016, 08:58
Some promising replies in the thread. Forgot to mention at the start of the thread but on GTR2 you could also drive the formation lap or just press space to skip. It's the minor details you remember. Lol. Long live PC!!

ermo
06-05-2016, 09:26
Bob is one of several I have had the pleasure of introducing to GTR2. The game is definitely an iconic sim and has incredible "staying power", mainly due to it's ability to be modded. There are many high quality mods STILL being produced for it, and that is why there are so many leauges STILL running on it, even though the game is almost 12 years old now.

I'll just let the bolded statement speak for itself.

In contrast, pCARS 1 is a PITA to mod to be honest, so on that front it is unlikely to attract a similar status in the longer term unless a good balance between moddability (sandbox/freeform modding functionality -- including remixing of SMS assets) and locked-down eSports online/MP tech can be achieved.

ARNAGEist
06-05-2016, 10:19
I re-installed GTR2 at the weekend as I thought I had some controller issues & wanted to test it in something other than Pcars.
brought back some great memories but it's incredible how far aesthetically racing sims have come since then. the hump in the middle of and the lack of drop on Paddock hill bend at Brands Hatch was very noticeable also far too many trees around the track.

Still the DBR9 is a fantastic car to drive so would love to have it again :D

F1_Racer68
06-05-2016, 13:57
I'll just let the bolded statement speak for itself.

In contrast, pCARS 1 is a PITA to mod to be honest, so on that front it is unlikely to attract a similar status in the longer term unless a good balance between moddability (sandbox/freeform modding functionality -- including remixing of SMS assets) and locked-down eSports online/MP tech can be achieved.

In fairness, it seems that SMS is making some pretty substantial strides in easing the modding ability of PCARS. Recent updates and resulting conversations in the Machine Dojo Modding Team thread seem to indicate a concerted effort to make modding easier while still keeping the game "locked down" for online.

I for one applaud the effort and thanks SMS for atleast making the attempt. There are some very talented people trying to make some top quality mods out there and I am thrilled to see SMS trying to support them while still maintaining the integrity of the core game.