PDA

View Full Version : Where did the RWD P30 LMP1 come from?

Darkdally
10-05-2016, 00:31
I'm just curious, because as far as I can tell, it's not a real-world car, right? It almost feels OP in the game to me, and so I was curious as to like how legit this thing was designed. I tried Google searching but that was a complete loss - rwd meaning rear wheel drive, and so project cars rwd only came back as actual rwd project cars, and the fact that there is an apparently unconnected RWD Motorsports - it just made trying to figure out where this thing came from impossible. The actual Project Cars results that came up were only tuning setups.

I really love the thing, but it's so fast, with so much control and grip I almost feel like I'm cheating. Who made this thing, and is it realistic to a 2013 LMP1 car?

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
10-05-2016, 01:00
It was one of the two winning LMP car designs in the community design contest held during development along with the Marek cars (I took part with a re-imagining of the Audi R15 as a front-engined car like the Panoz LMP1 car :)). The initial designs were for an LMP1 car only but later were expanded and adapted for LMP2 cars as well. So yes, all RWD and Marek cars are fictional, community designed cars. The actual physics though were developed by the physics development team to fit the regulations at the time of development, and the community cars were partially used for exploring ideas about different kinds of power trains and possible hybrid systems, though still in a realistic way. It's always possible that the car is a bit better than the others, there are dozens of things that go into them and it's hard to perfectly balance everything especially in a class where all cars have different engines and hybrid systems. If it is quicker than the others then it's not by a whole lot overall, though it will obviously depend on the track and the driver.

Grijo
10-05-2016, 01:00
I don't know too much details about it, but the RWD (LMP1 / LMP2) and the Marek were designed by the Project Cars community.

Ninja'd by Jussi:p

kevin kirk
10-05-2016, 05:56
It was one of the two winning LMP car designs in the community design contest held during development along with the Marek cars (I took part with a re-imagining of the Audi R15 as a front-engined car like the Panoz LMP1 car :)). The initial designs were for an LMP1 car only but later were expanded and adapted for LMP2 cars as well. So yes, all RWD and Marek cars are fictional, community designed cars. The actual physics though were developed by the physics development team to fit the regulations at the time of development, and the community cars were partially used for exploring ideas about different kinds of power trains and possible hybrid systems, though still in a realistic way. It's always possible that the car is a bit better than the others, there are dozens of things that go into them and it's hard to perfectly balance everything especially in a class where all cars have different engines and hybrid systems. If it is quicker than the others then it's not by a whole lot overall, though it will obviously depend on the track and the driver.

something I allways wonder about the RWD lmp2 and Marek lmp2 is why they dont have paddle shifting on the wheel like lmp2 cars? Been years since I seen a lmp2 car or that type of prototype racecar that didnt have paddle shifting and used a gear shift as pushing it forward is down a gear and pushing it back is up a gear. Makes the cars feel like they are from the 1990s era of racing.

BreadedVirus
10-05-2016, 22:25
I really like the RWD and Marek LMP cars. Much better than than the Toyota, Audi and Oreca cars. Hope to see updated versions of the RWD and Marek cars, plus a few more LMP 1 and 2 cars in PCARS 2.

Scuderia Paul
10-05-2016, 22:41
It would be great to have additional LMP cars from Marek and RWD in PCars2 and have the range expanded to include a proper LMP3. I prefer the Mareks as the engine sounds of the RWDs irritate me with the P30 being the worst offender. Nothing however will match my love for the Toyota TS040-Hybrid.

10-05-2016, 23:12
A "real" LMP3 would be a great thing, though don't be too harsh on pCARS for naming the "random" light protos LMP3, when the development started and most of those cars were made there was no such class in real life. =)

Alan Dallas
11-05-2016, 03:57
The 'R' in RWD stands for Ryno917 (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/member.php?6275-Ryno917) :) The car models designer.

Edit: Speaking of design... his Website: http://rwd-design.com/

hkraft300
11-05-2016, 04:20
Did the bloody same thing as the OP had a search for the Marek and RWD cars before I clicked they're fictional :)
Top stuff.
I'd welcome more cars like them to fill some classes where real cars are too hard to get data/license for.

something I allways wonder about the RWD lmp2 and Marek lmp2 is why they dont have paddle shifting on the wheel like lmp2 cars? .

I was driving the Marek this morning.
I could swear it was paddle shifting on the wheel... Don't ever remember the "driver's" hands moving during shifts in any LMP2 car in game.
The cars I remember with sequential stick shifts are BMW V12 LMR, McLaren Long Tail and Merc CLK-LM.

cluck
11-05-2016, 08:12
It's a huge compliment to both designers - and to the vehicle artists at SMS - that lots of people, since the game came out, have searched in vain for the real-life cars. I'm sure both those guys must have a huge smile whenever they read such posts, I know I would :).

Diamond_Eyes
11-05-2016, 08:35
Truly hope we see more fictionals for pCars2... check out some of the wild LMPs concepts... https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lmp1+concept&biw=1280&bih=917&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7z_HpzdHMAhWlF5oKHXqkA7kQ_AUIBigB

11-05-2016, 08:42
Haha, wow that Corvette LMP1 concept looks funky. It's a bit too extreme, but I'd so love to see a front engined RWD LMP1 car on the grid again, it's been too long since Panoz's efforts. =)

Invincible
11-05-2016, 08:59
Haha, wow that Corvette LMP1 concept looks funky. It's a bit too extreme, but I'd so love to see a front engined RWD LMP1 car on the grid again, it's been too long since Panoz's efforts. =)

I also like the Corvette LMP1 Concept. But what really took my heart and made me grasp was this one:

Although it looks like it doesn't match LMP1 regulations, as suspension parts are visible from above, which is forbidden for LMP cars, IIRC.

hkraft300
11-05-2016, 09:25
...it's been too long since Panoz's efforts. =)

Ye because Nissan made such a mess of theirs lol

The concept LMP cars look awesome. The Jag above is very Red Bull Gran Turismo concept thingy... And that front engined Corvette P1 concept is cool too.

11-05-2016, 09:33
Ye because Nissan made such a mess of theirs lolA lot of bad luck on their part, they gave up too soon on it though... But it still was an FWD car, which isn't quite what I've been after. =)

Diamond_Eyes
11-05-2016, 10:39
Some of the LMP concepts out there are a little too adolescent...
but the Marek and RWD in pCars are just so convincing
Good work

Darkdally
11-05-2016, 11:38
I think it's really cool that people are creating these concept lmp's, and that some are coming to the game. I don't know much about the class, but I'm getting into it, and from what I understand it's this kind of forward thinking that puts them on the grid at Le Mans, and allows that technology to eventually trickle down and improve life for everyone as real world tech.

11-05-2016, 12:00
Yeah, the innovation is the best part about LMP.

Though I'm willing to bet that if someone would have entered the design competition with a front-engined front-wheel drive design they would have been laughed out in very short order. I know enough people had a kneejerk reaction to my front-engine R15 idea and to some other front engine designs. And then Nissan did it in real life. =)

hkraft300
11-05-2016, 14:00
I don't understand why a front engine LMP car would be laughing matter. Just thinking of the pivot point, and sitting closer to the rear axle would be a positive to driver feel and control, no? Of course, I'm no aerodynamicist and having a rearward cockpit might screw that up.
Nissan with their recent car were talking about how they had more space at the back for better aero (bigger diffuser and what not) but that could've been partly the FWD part. Didn't manage to prove the concept though its all worth a thought. Like Jussi said they gave up on it too quick.
Didn't Cadillac have a front engine LMP900-ish car at some stage? (*cough* cheeky car request *cough*)

TobySanford77
11-05-2016, 14:05
Is there a link to all the designs submitted for the competition? I'm really interested to see what there is :)

11-05-2016, 14:23
I don't understand why a front engine LMP car would be laughing matter. Just thinking of the pivot point, and sitting closer to the rear axle would be a positive to driver feel and control, no? Of course, I'm no aerodynamicist and having a rearward cockpit might screw that up.
Nissan with their recent car were talking about how they had more space at the back for better aero (bigger diffuser and what not) but that could've been partly the FWD part. Didn't manage to prove the concept though its all worth a thought. Like Jussi said they gave up on it too quick.
Didn't Cadillac have a front engine LMP900-ish car at some stage? (*cough* cheeky car request *cough*)A lot is due to the packaging. It does indeed free up room at the back allowing for the Nissan's flow-through principle of super efficient aero, but it does have implications for the packaging of the front suspension and getting the airflow to work properly there. Also with a rear-wheel drive car you'd negate quite a bit of that advantage because you can't do like Nissan and put very narrow tyres at the back, and you'd still have to have all the plumbings to take the power to the rear. And it can also be more of a challenge to get the weight bias backwards enough for an rwd car to be sensible, you couldn't put the engine very forward which could lead to an unwanted lengthening of the nose and you'd probably need a transaxle at the back, which would eat up some space on its own. Nissan could get away with this because the car was FWD, so they wanted it to be nose heavy for improved traction.

In short there's a reason why F1 and most every other high class racing car went to mid or rear engined in the early 60s. =)

That doesn't mean that it's a worthless concept, they understand front-mid engined cars a lot better these days and they've become very prolific in GT racing (ATS-V.R, Viper, Continental, GranTurismo MC GT3, Camaro, Corvette, Vantage, SLS AMG GT3, Mercedes-AMG GT3, Mustang, Z4, M6, Morgan, Jaguar, GT-R...). Panoz did really well with their car and it couldn't have been as well funded a project as the other guys were running back then, if a big company like Audi looked into it they could probably make it work even better.

And no, the Cadillac Northstar LMP car of 2000-2002 was mid-engined.

11-05-2016, 14:24
Is there a link to all the designs submitted for the competition? I'm really interested to see what there is :)You'd need to be able to access the old pCARS1 development forums. =)

Scuderia Paul
11-05-2016, 16:15
Is there a link to all the designs submitted for the competition? I'm really interested to see what there is :)
I would love to see more of the proposed designs.

hkraft300
11-05-2016, 16:38
Are the WMD guys doing another round of concepts for the sequel?

Rambo_Commando
11-05-2016, 17:40
I'm all for the RWD P30. It's got to be one of the best looking cars in the game. On a different note, I'm really interested to see what will become of the Formula A car for Pcars2. Do you guys have any idea as to what year the car will be based around? Also, if the FOM does implement cockpit protection for 2017, can SMS use the 2017 version of an F1 car without the halo or windscreen device without infringing on licensing or copyright issues?

kevin kirk
11-05-2016, 18:45
Did the bloody same thing as the OP had a search for the Marek and RWD cars before I clicked they're fictional :)
Top stuff.
I'd welcome more cars like them to fill some classes where real cars are too hard to get data/license for.

I was driving the Marek this morning.
I could swear it was paddle shifting on the wheel... Don't ever remember the "driver's" hands moving during shifts in any LMP2 car in game.
The cars I remember with sequential stick shifts are BMW V12 LMR, McLaren Long Tail and Merc CLK-LM.https://youtu.be/1_dQWU2vl9I
https://youtu.be/5LmpvHOytWQ

F1_Racer68
11-05-2016, 20:42
Does anyone else see the similarities between these 2 or is it just me?

As the Stones once said.... "Paint it Black!"

I'm just sayin'.......

11-05-2016, 22:18
Front engined LMP cars tend to get that comparison, the Panoz was also called the batmobile. =)

F1_Racer68
12-05-2016, 01:46
Front engined LMP cars tend to get that comparison, the Panoz was also called the batmobile. =)

True, but I see it mostly in the cockpit and the lines of the rear fenders of the comparison photos I posted. There just seems to be a lot of similar shapes and lines there.

Diamond_Eyes
17-06-2016, 14:37
Check my local plumber's logo!!

http://burtonsplumbingandheating.com/

hkraft300
17-06-2016, 15:24
So.. who's making a Burton's plumbing livery ;)