PDA

View Full Version : VR SLI support??

dualin
12-05-2016, 07:29
Hi, I am waiting for the VR SLI support with my two GTX 970, when this feature will come to the game??

Best regards
Dualin

Zeeflyboy
12-05-2016, 17:44
I'm hoping it's coming, but as far as i'm aware they haven't said much about it.

mbze430
19-05-2016, 16:21
I haven't gotten my Oculus yet, but been trying to find out. I also was told there is no SLI for VR. I am SOOOOO disappointed, as I built my system around Pcars so I can enjoy 4k/60fps @ MAX and VR @ MAX with 2x 980TI

I hope SMS will somehow fix/implement SLI in to their VR Because even with a 1080 you still can't enjoy Pcars in VR with MAX settings

Zeeflyboy
20-05-2016, 08:08
I haven't gotten my Oculus yet, but been trying to find out. I also was told there is no SLI for VR. I am SOOOOO disappointed, as I built my system around Pcars so I can enjoy 4k/60fps @ MAX and VR @ MAX with 2x 980TI

I hope SMS will somehow fix/implement SLI in to their VR Because even with a 1080 you still can't enjoy Pcars in VR with MAX settings

Not that I don't want VR SLI (because my two 980Ti's are crying out for it too!) but how do you know the 1080 can't max out project cars in VR? Have you come across anyone trying it in reviews?

With a single evga 980Ti hydrocopper and 4.6ghz i7 6700k I can set most things to high/ultra as long as I leave msaa at ds2x and track detail at low. Seems to work well. Given the quite significant performance increase of the 1080 when it comes to VR specific work, I'd be surprised if that once the drivers are optimised and some of the newer VR specific features are utilised by the devs, the 1080 couldn't max out most of it.

Roll on 1080Ti lol... that's what I'm holding out for before upgrading :)

rosko
21-05-2016, 12:01
Maybe a dev could confirm if this is possible. If it's not going to happen it's not going to happen but be nice to know if it could so we can make decisions around hardware upgrades.

Schadows
21-05-2016, 13:30
Not that I don't want VR SLI (because my two 980Ti's are crying out for it too!) but how do you know the 1080 can't max out project cars in VR? Have you come across anyone trying it in reviews?
rosko (hi again ^^) probably means this : http://www.roadtovr.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-benchmark-review-performance-head-to-head-against-the-980ti/3/#project-cars

Of course, using SMP and LMS features would come in handy, but that's something devs have to support directly in the code. And as I have said earlier, I have doubt that the team will keep spending time on a game already released a year ago, with a sequel in development planned for next year, working on features which is proprietary to only one brand of graphic card, and most of all, which can only be used by 2 of the next generation of graphic cards of that brand.

As for the SLI performances, it is something that concerns all games, not just pcars.
As an example, see this GTX 1080 benchmark from Gamestop, using Steam VR Performance Test frame count as ranking system :
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review/1100-6439863/#VR_Test
SLI induce latency because of the needed synchronization, and while it can be optimized with driver profile and code, you will never get the performance gap you have with 2D.

rosko
21-05-2016, 14:41
rosko (hi again ^^) probably means this : http://www.roadtovr.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-benchmark-review-performance-head-to-head-against-the-980ti/3/#project-cars

Of course, using SMP and LMS features would come in handy, but that's something devs have to support directly in the code. And as I have said earlier, I have doubt that the team will keep spending time on a game already released a year ago, with a sequel in development planned for next year, working on features which is proprietary to only one brand of graphic card, and most of all, which can only be used by 2 of the next generation of graphic cards of that brand.

As for the SLI performances, it is something that concerns all games, not just pcars.
As an example, see this GTX 1080 benchmark from Gamestop, using Steam VR Performance Test frame count as ranking system :
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-review/1100-6439863/#VR_Test
SLI induce latency because of the needed synchronization, and while it can be optimized with driver profile and code, you will never get the performance gap you have with 2D.

It might be a year old but it's generally considered the best VR game out there & I imagine has had a bit of a rebirth in its VR form. I just think it's a shame there is no option out there to max it out in VR & get good frame rates. From the bench tests i've seen not even a GTX 1080 will do it & probably the OC version of it too. From what i read from your link the SLI benchmark suffers due to the software not being setup for it. I'm not technical enough to understand what is required to get it working(properly) in pcars, maybe they are working on it who knows(the devs).

AbeWoz
21-05-2016, 14:50
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?47117-4k-compared-to-VR&p=1279895&viewfull=1#post1279895

synracs
26-05-2016, 18:12
Hello,

I have 2x MSI GTX 970. When I use the Oculus Rift CV1 in Project Cars with activated SLI its unplayable (it flickers). So I have to deaktivate one GPU to play the game with not enough FPS :(

There are any solutions? What says the developers?

I read something about Gameworks VR who has to be implemented?

Thanks for help
Syn

synracs
26-05-2016, 18:15
sry i didn't saw the sub-form. please move this thread

Sankyo
26-05-2016, 18:38
Moved.

Bealdor
26-05-2016, 19:01
Threads merged.

viakruzis
31-05-2016, 18:14
Same problem here, 2 GTX 980 in SLI and HTC VIVE.

I have to deactivate the SLI each time I want to play PC in VR...

AbeWoz
31-05-2016, 18:15
Same problem here, 2 GTX 980 in SLI and HTC VIVE.

I have to deactivate the SLI each time I want to play PC in VR...

once again: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?47117-4k-compared-to-VR&p=1279895&viewfull=1#post1279895

Schadows
15-07-2016, 10:59
Nvidia has released its VR Funhouse (http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-vr-funhouse-released-download-for-free), a bundle of multiple VR experiences where you play at the funfair.

The application in itself isn't that but serves as a kind of technical demo, because it implements several nvidia specific features (multi res shading, PhysX, Hairworks, Flow, Flex) but most of all : VR SLI support.

Unfortunately, the application ask for a very beaffy configuration, even if the game isn't that spectacular :

Low Quality
GPU: GeForce GTX 980 Ti, TITAN X, 1060 or 1070
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790

Medium Quality
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080
CPU: Intel Core i7-5930

High Quality
GPU: A single Geforce GTX 1080, or a 2-Way GeForce GTX 1070, TITAN X or 980 Ti SLI setup
GPU PhysX: Also requires a GeForce GTX 980 Ti, or greater, to be dedicated as a PhysX GPU in the NVIDIA Control Panel
CPU: Intel Core i7-5930

If you’ve got two identical GPUs and a GeForce GTX 980 Ti, or higher, dedicated to PhysX, VR Funhouse will activate VR SLI, enabling GPU 1 to render to the left eye in the VR headset and GPU 2 to the right eye. This improves performance while keeping latency low, further improving the experience.
So, from what they said, running at max settings requires at least 3x 980 Ti cards, 2 for SLI and one as a dedicated PhysX card (as implied before the application relies heavily on PhysX).

Just tested it myself with a single 970, and it run at low settings (alternating between 90 and 45 fps) with some stuttering when moving your head quickly).

Didn't see any SLI tests yet.