PDA

View Full Version : Question about tire wear and fuel usage

Mon Pavion
12-05-2016, 14:55
Hello all.

So I usually run my race lengths at about 60% to 65%. I set tire wear and fuel usage to X2 to reflect the shorter race length and keep it somewhat realistic. But it occurred to me, what if the game automatically adjusted tire wear and fuel usage according to what ever the race length is set to, and the setting in the options menu only multiples tire wear/fuel usage even more?

So my question is, if I run shorter than 100% race length, will the game automatically adjust tire wear and fuel usage to correspond with shorter race ? Or do I have to adjust it in the options menu?

FS7
12-05-2016, 15:02
So my question is, if I run shorter than 100% race length, will the game automatically adjust tire wear and fuel usage to correspond with shorter race ? Or do I have to adjust it in the options menu?
Race length, tyre wear, and fuel consumption are adjusted separately. There's no auto adjust option in PCars.
Race length is adjusted in the race options menu right before entering a race, fuel/tyre wear are adjusted in the gameplay options menu.

Mon Pavion
12-05-2016, 15:17
Race length, tyre wear, and fuel consumption are adjusted separately. There's no auto adjust option in PCars.
Race length is adjusted in the race options menu right before entering a race, fuel/tyre wear are adjusted in the gameplay options menu.

Thanks! I was kinda hoping the game did it automatically.

Koza_Nostra
12-05-2016, 15:19
What I did notice yesterday tho, when doing LMP2 racing in Career mode, Race 1 is more like a sprint done 6 laps on SOFT slick, no problem. So then I went to do Race 2, once again on the SOFT slick, the race was 9 laps and at the end I had very little grip, so I got a bit confused. So I restarted the race, put HARD slick on, done the race no problem.
What made me wonder, then I was doing Practice on SOFT I had no problem doing 10 laps, the grip was good, but in the Race the grip decreased a lot quicker. Yes I know the race pace you seem to push more and I had more fuel, but still it felts like the game adjusted the grip levels for the Race. I would say maybe it's my setup playing up, but I was running Default.

kevin kirk
12-05-2016, 16:16
What I did notice yesterday tho, when doing LMP2 racing in Career mode, Race 1 is more like a sprint done 6 laps on SOFT slick, no problem. So then I went to do Race 2, once again on the SOFT slick, the race was 9 laps and at the end I had very little grip, so I got a bit confused. So I restarted the race, put HARD slick on, done the race no problem.
What made me wonder, then I was doing Practice on SOFT I had no problem doing 10 laps, the grip was good, but in the Race the grip decreased a lot quicker. Yes I know the race pace you seem to push more and I had more fuel, but still it felts like the game adjusted the grip levels for the Race. I would say maybe it's my setup playing up, but I was running Default.

...Be sure the passage of time and track temp dropping isnt making you lose heat in your tires. I had a huge problem with very little grip in the later half of races, even with new tires. Then after watching my tire temps I realized my tires were losing all temperture from the day/track temp cooling down as the day goes by. I needed to drop my tire pressures as the day passes on each pit stop.

FS7
12-05-2016, 16:28
Thanks! I was kinda hoping the game did it automatically.
The F1 games adjust those settings automatically, but those games only have 1 car class & 1 race format, so it isn't too difficulty for the game to adjust everything automatically based o race distance.
In PCars it's more tricky to implement that because there's a large number of classes & different race formats. Your best bet for now is to do some testing in solo practice before entering a race in order to figure out the ideal tyre wear rate.

Mon Pavion
12-05-2016, 17:40
The F1 games adjust those settings automatically, but those games only have 1 car class & 1 race format, so it isn't too difficulty for the game to adjust everything automatically based o race distance.
In PCars it's more tricky to implement that because there's a large number of classes & different race formats. Your best bet for now is to do some testing in solo practice before entering a race in order to figure out the ideal tyre wear rate.

Yeah i liked that about the CM F1 games. Ideally, if I run a race at 50%, then tire wear should be set to 2X. But since I like to run them at about 65%, and the next option is 4X with nothing in between, I will just have to be happy with 2X tire wear and fuel usage. I just do not want the fact that I only run races at 65% to remove the need to conserve tires and whatnot. It is an important part of race strategy.

FS7
12-05-2016, 19:28
Yeah i liked that about the CM F1 games. Ideally, if I run a race at 50%, then tire wear should be set to 2X. But since I like to run them at about 65%, and the next option is 4X with nothing in between, I will just have to be happy with 2X tire wear and fuel usage. I just do not want the fact that I only run races at 65% to remove the need to conserve tires and whatnot. It is an important part of race strategy.
Only in career mode race length is set by %, in solo mode & online race length is set by either number of laps or time.
In career mode race length = 50% doesn't always mean ideal tyre wear = 2x, it depends on the car you're using and championship format (eg: LMP1 races are only 10 minutes long at 100% length).
You can set tyre wear rate at 3x if you want to, fuel usage is either real or slow, there's no option to accelerate fuel usage. BTW, which career championship are you talking about?

Mon Pavion
12-05-2016, 21:06
Only in career mode race length is set by %, in solo mode & online race length is set by either number of laps or time.
In career mode race length = 50% doesn't always mean ideal tyre wear = 2x, it depends on the car you're using and championship format (eg: LMP1 races are only 10 minutes long at 100% length).
You can set tyre wear rate at 3x if you want to, fuel usage is either real or slow, there's no option to accelerate fuel usage. BTW, which career championship are you talking about?

Right now its only the Clio Cup. i just got this game not too long ago. I know that fuel burn is not really able to be changed. I am more concerned with making tire wear "realistic"

Rambo_Commando
12-05-2016, 21:40
The race length is not realistic in career mode for all the series except FA. In lmp1, you can do a career race and not pit once for tires. If you want to add that element then I would suggest bumping up tire wear to x7.

Mon Pavion
12-05-2016, 21:48
The race length is not realistic in career mode for all the series except FA. In lmp1, you can do a career race and not pit once for tires. If you want to add that element then I would suggest bumping up tire wear to x7.

Really? Well this changes everything

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
12-05-2016, 21:50
Untrue, the first Clio Cup race for example is 16 laps long, which pretty much spot on for Clio Cup (depending on the length of the track Clio Cup races in the UK at least tend to vary from about 10-20 laps. Many lower level racing series in real life do have very short races. But for the higher end classes I think you may indeed be right, the races are often suspiciously short.