PDA

View Full Version : Buy PC at Oculus Home.How to play in Vive and in normal screen?

JanHerca
15-05-2016, 14:38
I have a Rift and a Vive. I have bought PCars at Oculus Home, yes, the super expensive edition. Now I would like to play in Vive and in normal screen for comparison. I have searched at Oculus Home settings for a way to have a redeem code but there is nothing. I am looking for in PCars webpage and also there is nothing as far I can see. Other games like Elite Dqngerous have an option in account settings to do this.

Any info on how to solve this?

Zeeflyboy
16-05-2016, 00:58
As far as I'm aware you can't do this with the Home version... although I stand to be corrected.

On the Steam version you are now able to launch in normal, SteamVR or Oculus modes from a little menu that comes up when you click play.

It does unfortunately seem that the oculus home version is very much the poor sibling... locked to only playing with other rift users and only via home. The Steam version allows you to play with flatscreen/Vive/Rift and from a much larger player base and start in whatever mode you wish. Might be worth seeing if you could get a refund since these issues aren't made clear?

I believe the difference is that elite dangerous when selected from your home library it actually launches the launcher... That launcher then actually starts the game itself and will go in accordance with whatever you've set it to do in your preferences. In PCars I assume it just launches the game directly.... If you get my drift... that was a lot of words with "launch" in them.

The only thing I do miss about the steam version is the ability to launch directly from oculus home.

Morgan Henstridge
16-05-2016, 01:47
I believe a lot of this is due to games like elite hosting their own server infrastructure, and each of the stores are just a downloader for their own client. Project cars steam version is using Steam features for MP, and Oculus Home can not use the same Steam features, and this is why their MP base is separate.

And i don't think Oculus are allowing Vive support on Home at the moment, so the PCARS version on Home is only for Oculus, not the VIVE.

JanHerca
16-05-2016, 22:02
Thanks for the info. I didn't know this. There isn't any type of information like this on Project Cars webpage or in Oculus Home info of the game. Also I didn't know that MP feature is something in the Steam platform. That make games with that feature absolutely tied to Steam, which is something I do not understand for game development. I do not know very much about the options to add this feature, but I'm pretty sure that there are solutions outside Steam that do not require to buy the game at that Store, as Elite Dangerous has. Devs can use their own servers or pay for Google or Amazon for their servers. So a very bad decision from SMS.

I will try to contact Oculus for a refund or something.

Morgan Henstridge
17-05-2016, 00:33
Thanks for the info. I didn't know this. There isn't any type of information like this on Project Cars webpage or in Oculus Home info of the game. Also I didn't know that MP feature is something in the Steam platform. That make games with that feature absolutely tied to Steam, which is something I do not understand for game development. I do not know very much about the options to add this feature, but I'm pretty sure that there are solutions outside Steam that do not require to buy the game at that Store, as Elite Dangerous has. Devs can use their own servers or pay for Google or Amazon for their servers. So a very bad decision from SMS.

I will try to contact Oculus for a refund or something.

Thats a bit harsh on SMS. When Project Cars started, and even when Project CARS released, there was no such thing as Oculus Home and it was a Steam game.

It made sense then to utilise Steams platform features. This is different for games like Elite where it is a persistent universe and was supporting multiple platforms out of the box.

The fact Oculus Home is their own ecosystem, and will not talk to Steam, is not an SMS decision. This is solely down to Valve and Oculus.

JanHerca
17-05-2016, 07:44
Thats a bit harsh on SMS. When Project Cars started, and even when Project CARS released, there was no such thing as Oculus Home and it was a Steam game.

It made sense then to utilise Steams platform features. This is different for games like Elite where it is a persistent universe and was supporting multiple platforms out of the box.

The fact Oculus Home is their own ecosystem, and will not talk to Steam, is not an SMS decision. This is solely down to Valve and Oculus.

I do not agree with you. The devs can use any available type of software to develop the multiplayer options. Project Cars is a multiplayer game, as Elite Dangerous is, so there isn't any reason to use the features or functionality of one given game store for the multiplayer part. They can use the Steam Store for manage mods, for example, using Workshop, or for voice chat, or whatever. But it is a very unclever decision to develop all the multiplayer inside Steam store. The result is what we have now. Two different servers, one for Oculus purcharsers, and one for normal PC gamers and Vive users. This is something absolutely outside Oculus. It is a SMS decision. Project Cars is a multiplayer game as thousands of them in the market. Why they need to be so special to not be able to mix in the same server all the users, as for example is doing Elite Dangerous right now? Because their own decision. Do not blame in Oculus something that is completely out of their scope.

And the worst thing of all this is that there isn't any information of this problem neither in the Oculus Home frontpage of the game nor in the Project Cars webpage. They should state super clear in the buying options in their webpage that when you purchase Project Cars in Oculus you aren't going to be able to play with your friends because they are in different servers. And also this is a problem from SMS, not Oculus.

Bealdor
17-05-2016, 08:05
The decision to use Steam/Oculus servers for the game was simply a financial one. Nothing more, nothing less.