PDA

View Full Version : Need help with HTC Vive

Crackjaw
15-05-2016, 22:16
I got the game 'working' with the HTC Vive but I have a couple of issues that make it unplayable even though I see images through the headset.

1) My head is sticking out of the roof of the car. While I found a Virtual Reality configuration screen that let's you adjust where the camera is, the adjustments are far too small to get it properly centered over the driver's body. Is there some configuration setting I am missing to correct this? Right now I have to hunch forward and to the left to the point where my head is nearly under my desk to get my head located where it actually needs to be to look right. Obviously that position isn't sustainable for long periods of time.

2) The framerate is rather terrible in the headset. I'm running 2x Geforce770GTX's in SLI. The game is glassy smooth when I run it on my monitor outside of VR mode as well as on the mini-monitor during VR mode. It's only stuttery in the googles themselves. Other VR games I have don't have this issue. Granted none of them are as graphically demanding. If the answer is 'upgrade your video card', that's fine. I plan on getting dual 1080GTX's when they become available. However, I just find it odd there's such a wide disparity between rendering on my monitor versus rending in the Vive HMD. It feels like it's only using one of the video cards, not both in SLI if I were to guess.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Crackjaw
16-05-2016, 00:28
A couple of updates:

First of all the head tracking is stuttering in the game in the VR goggles. That is I look around and the image adjusts like it's lagging behind then catching up then lagging behind then catching up. It doesn't do this when I keep my head fixed. Also it doesn't do that in the mini-monitor on my desktop monitor. There it looks smooth as I move the HMD around in my hands while watching the screen.

Second of all I thought maybe it was some kind of interference with my wheel controller (fanatec forza motorsport csr wheel) because it's an older model. However, even with the wheel completely disconnected from my PC the game still exhibits the stuttery behavior in the Vive HMD only.

finagle69
16-05-2016, 16:07
Project Cars does not work well with SLI in VR. Disable VR and try it that way. However, your 770GTX will probably not perform very well in VR. You should set ALL settings to their absolute lowest/off and test. Raise things from there.

Crackjaw
16-05-2016, 16:13
Hmm well supporting SLI seems like a no-brainer for VR since you have to render everything twice: once for each eye. Seems like they would want to get that figured out. Oh well, maybe I'll come back to this once I get my 1080GTX's. However, it still doesn't answer the 'head sticking out of the roof like Donkey Kong in Mario Kart' issue. That has nothing to do with SLI.

Shiftdel
16-05-2016, 17:46
I think i saw in one of the video's on YouTube there is something like worldscaler, and so some Seat height adjusment
Have no vive or rift so can't point out how to get to that menu.
But i think it a good place to start

crowtrobot
16-05-2016, 18:13
Hmm well supporting SLI seems like a no-brainer for VR since you have to render everything twice: once for each eye. Seems like they would want to get that figured out. Oh well, maybe I'll come back to this once I get my 1080GTX's. However, it still doesn't answer the 'head sticking out of the roof like Donkey Kong in Mario Kart' issue. That has nothing to do with SLI.
In the controller configuration, you can assign a button to 'VR Reset' which will reattach the camera to the driver's head. Just hold your head where you want it and hit the button once you're on the track, should be good to go.