PDA

View Full Version : Will this be the game for me?

GuitarHero-NL
16-05-2016, 16:49
Hello everyone,

I have some questions regarding Project Cars, I'm thinking about it to buy the GOTY edition since it's not very expensive for what you'll get, I'll just have some questions about the game. The main one are the customization and difficulty of the game. I like racing games, I loved the GT franchise for quite some years now but I think that maybe Project Cars might be a step to far for me since I hear it's all about realism and simulating etc. and I'm just not that much of a hardcore race fan. I don't know if any of you played the game Real Racing 3 on the iPad or anything like that (I know, worst comparison ever lol...) but the way that game played, a little bit of steering assist, quite some braking assist etc. Thats what I like about it, you can look like a pro although you are absolutely not. Now I heard that because of all the customization in this game that you could also choose to play like that if you want to and I want someone who can tell me wether its true or not, most likely I'm not playing the game as the dev's want me to but thats just the way I like to play racegames. So if anyone knows the answer of my question, please let me know... I don't have a lot of money so it's either project cars or Assetto Corsa, which I'm also looking at ATM... Don't know what the differences are between those two and which one I should get.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english,

GuitarHero-NL

Schnizz58
16-05-2016, 17:06
Your English is fine.

The game includes steering and braking assistance. I haven't tried those assists so I can't tell you how good they are. However you're correct in your statement that the game is all about realism. To the point that you may not find it fun to play if that's not what you're into. What would you be using for input? The game is best played with a wheel but can be played using a controller. It's just harder to be smooth that way.

GuitarHero-NL
16-05-2016, 17:09
I dont have the space right now to get a steering wheel so I'll be playing it with a controller on the PS4, but to be clear, I can make the game as easy as I want to and after that scale the difficulty up for a better challenge? Because usually I hate it when a game has only like easy, normal and hard difficulty setting, I'd like to make tiny steps at the time.

Haiden
16-05-2016, 17:11
Honestly, it sounds like you might want to check out Forza 6. PCars can be played with full assists, but it's not a casual racer. It leans pretty far to the hard sim side. It's best played with a wheel, but you can get a controller to work with some tuning. That's said, it would require a lot more tuning than it sounds like you're used to. I've actually played Real Racing 3, once, for about five minutes. If you actually enjoyed that game, then PCars isn't for you. I thought Real Racing might be a fun lite-racer for my commute. Turns out, I'd rather spend the time just reading about race craft and/or watching tutorial videos, instead of playing that game. :)

Schnizz58
16-05-2016, 17:14
I dont have the space right now to get a steering wheel so I'll be playing it with a controller on the PS4, but to be clear, I can make the game as easy as I want to and after that scale the difficulty up for a better challenge? Because usually I hate it when a game has only like easy, normal and hard difficulty setting, I'd like to make tiny steps at the time.
The AI difficulty can be adjusted to anything you want (1-100% difficulty).

GuitarHero-NL
16-05-2016, 17:17
The AI difficulty can be adjusted to anything you want (1-100% difficulty).

So that does mean I can make it as easy or hard as I would like to play it..? Because that's what I'm aiming for. I dont want to ride in circles around the AI but I just want to find my pace in the game and simply take it from there.

beetes_juice
16-05-2016, 17:18
So that does mean I can make it as easy or hard as I would like to play it..? Because that's what I'm aiming for. I dont want to ride in circles around the AI but I just want to find my pace in the game and simply take it from there.

Yes.

GuitarHero-NL
16-05-2016, 17:21
Awesome... Then I really consider buying the game, I'll be giving it a little more thought and will look for some videos on YouTube about the menu's, difficulty, tweaking and all kinds of stuff. I would like to thank you guys for helping me out here, community sure is helpful!

FS7
17-05-2016, 19:48
You can enable any driving aids you want (TC, ABS, SC, automatic transmission, driving line), you can turn damage on/off, adjust AI difficulty between 1-100%, turn fuel/tyre wear on/off, in career mode you can adjust race length between 1-100%, there's a solo mode where you can create custom race weekends, set race length by either number of laps or time, choose up to 44 AI opponents depending on track, choose time of the day & weather.
You can also adjust controller settings like sensitivity and such, PCars requires smooth inputs so it might take some practice to get used to the handling. Also, most cars need to warm up the tyres after leaving the pits.

Olijke Poffer
17-05-2016, 20:30
If you play on a ps4 you can use the tilt motion from the dualshock4 to steer. Works wonderfully well. I use almost the default controller settings just a few minor settings changed.

Rambo_Commando
18-05-2016, 02:22
Just a heads up. This is not a pick up and play type of game, especially with a game pad. Be prepared to spend a couple of days finding a good setting for your gamepad then another week fine tuning it. With that being said, this is the best racing game on console to date. I don't think I could ever go back to the Gran Turismo series after playing Pcars.

Konan
18-05-2016, 04:09
If you play on a ps4 you can use the tilt motion from the dualshock4 to steer. Works wonderfully well. I use almost the default controller settings just a few minor settings changed.

Same here...without the tilt thingy though...:cool:

Konan
18-05-2016, 04:15
Just a heads up. This is not a pick up and play type of game, especially with a game pad. Be prepared to spend a couple of days finding a good setting for your gamepad then another week fine tuning it. With that being said, this is the best racing game on console to date. I don't think I could ever go back to the Gran Turismo series after playing Pcars.

Yep...expect a more realistic driving experience than in most (if not all)other race games on Ps4....
So the most easy settings you start with already are more difficult than in those other games but imo really not something you can't master after playing a while...once you get used to the more realistic handling you'll soon be altering the difficulty to get some exciting racing...
Now go get that game and burn some rubber!...lol

hkraft300
18-05-2016, 11:00
You can play it how you want, which is an awesome thing about pcars. Scratch the surface or dig deep into sim racing.
That being said, this game is the next level and consoles currently have nothing in comparison. You couldnt get it to be as basic as Gran Turismo, but you could get it to be just as easy.
If i were you, id avoid it. The cars may not interest you. The type of customisation (no bolt-on upgrades in this game) of the cars may not interest you.
The racing. Well. The AI are incredible to race against, and you'll feel the pressure if you want a challenge.

Also a warning: if you're the curious type, or the "I must go faster" type, this game may turn you into a full blown sim racer.
Next minute you've lost touch with your friends, bought a wheel, set up a rig... ;)

FS7
18-05-2016, 16:58
Just a heads up. This is not a pick up and play type of game, especially with a game pad. Be prepared to spend a couple of days finding a good setting for your gamepad then another week fine tuning it.
Its also worth mentioning unlike games such as Forza & GT that PCars isn't very friendly with sloppy jerky inputs, smooth driving is the way to go.

if you're the curious type,
I'm somewhat in that category.
I've done a good amount of testing to figure out the best tyre wear rate/race length combination for some of my favorite cars. I also find it interesting comparing lap times over a long stint on different tyre compounds.

Salty Dog
18-05-2016, 17:09
The GOTY edition is good value, you dont have to be an expert and its great fun, go for it i recon, if you own a ps4 and like racing your doing yourself an injustice if you dont have this game, this along with Dirt are the two best ps4 racers by a long shot, cheers

hkraft300
18-05-2016, 17:18

I'm somewhat in that category.
I've done a good amount of testing to figure out the best tyre wear rate/race length combination for some of my favorite cars.

I cheat by cranking up the tyre wear ;)
Doesn't give you the full picture of pace dropping off and how it impacts your strategy. I have fuel rates worked out though.
Its the car setup stuff that kills me.

FS7
18-05-2016, 19:11
I cheat by cranking up the tyre wear ;)
Doesn't give you the full picture of pace dropping off and how it impacts your strategy. I have fuel rates worked out though.
Its the car setup stuff that kills me.
I usually do 30-minute races, for that race length tyre wear = 4x works well for most cars I tested. On the softest tyre compound it will require everybody to do 1 pitstop.

hkraft300
19-05-2016, 08:34
The GOTY edition is good value, you dont have to be an expert and its great fun, go for it i recon, if you own a ps4 and like racing your doing yourself an injustice if you dont have this game, this along with Dirt are the two best ps4 racers by a long shot, cheers

Very much agreed but its not to everyone's taste.
Some of us have Nomex dreams and will wear an actual helmet racing in their rig.
Others just want a bit of a game and get frustrated with too much realism when they try to bash around a track and spin at every corner. That's not fun for anyone.

Konan
19-05-2016, 10:28
Some of us have Nomex dreams and will wear an actual helmet racing in their rig.
Others just want a bit of a game and get frustrated with too much realism when they try to bash around a track and spin at every corner. That's not fun for anyone.

True but he was given fair warning though...lol

Olijke Poffer
19-05-2016, 10:41

I'm no sim racer by all means but even I have an awful lot of fun. And of course, like every racer here, occasionally I end up backwards on a track but that is the fun of racing. I don't make it in the top 500 but who cares, racing with pcars is the best racing experience I ever had. Although some flaws in the game like an overactive AI. Besides that.... Thumbs up.

hkraft300
19-05-2016, 11:46
Likewise. I might make it in the top 100 cherry picking a combo on TT lol
Again, take a few minutes to tweak the game settings to your liking.
Either way, I agree, with the feel and immersion of the game anyone can enjoy it.
Gamers have the skill of adapting to different games. Same applies here.

BigDad
20-05-2016, 13:23
Between pCars and Assetto corsa they are both trying to be the same thing just done by two different types of studios .
You will get alot more for alot less with pCars .
Your playing on what system ? It says pc but i assume ps4 , Gran turismo sport is coming in November , might be worth holding out till then if dollars are a concern .
But i would definitely recommend pCars if you think you could spend abit of time setting it up to suit because it is so customisable and worth abit of effort .
Good luck .

FS7
20-05-2016, 15:29
Gran turismo sport is coming in November
After watching the live stream and reading the news I'm not expecting much from GTS.

Pisshead30
21-05-2016, 07:16
Hello everyone,

I have some questions regarding Project Cars, I'm thinking about it to buy the GOTY edition since it's not very expensive for what you'll get, I'll just have some questions about the game. The main one are the customization and difficulty of the game. I like racing games, I loved the GT franchise for quite some years now but I think that maybe Project Cars might be a step to far for me since I hear it's all about realism and simulating etc. and I'm just not that much of a hardcore race fan. I don't know if any of you played the game Real Racing 3 on the iPad or anything like that (I know, worst comparison ever lol...) but the way that game played, a little bit of steering assist, quite some braking assist etc. Thats what I like about it, you can look like a pro although you are absolutely not. Now I heard that because of all the customization in this game that you could also choose to play like that if you want to and I want someone who can tell me wether its true or not, most likely I'm not playing the game as the dev's want me to but thats just the way I like to play racegames. So if anyone knows the answer of my question, please let me know... I don't have a lot of money so it's either project cars or Assetto Corsa, which I'm also looking at ATM... Don't know what the differences are between those two and which one I should get.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english,

GuitarHero-NL

Buy project cars its a great game that can still be enjoyed by those who don't have time or the interest to do the set up etc, if you need help with set ups there any amount of people on here to help you and loads of set ups you can try out.

BigDad
21-05-2016, 11:19
After watching the live stream and reading the news I'm not expecting much from GTS.
Your not be OP might be ?