PDA

View Full Version : LODS update please!

LARRY J
19-05-2016, 08:00
Hi community, i wish that Project Cars would re edit the LODS for cars and parts to them. You can notice pop ins and outs at relative distances with cars in gameplay and replays. I know this can be fixed easily. I re edited GTR 2. In GTR 2 when i added new converted cars i had to get rid of the double instances of GMT.'s and rewrite the LODS. I had to do all parts interior,ext.driver,chassis,wheels,ext. st. wheel, etc. But after i did not one pop in or out with textures. So please Project Cars consider this for your awesome game to be even better!
In a short suggestion please request this to the team and look at what im refering to with the pop ins and outs thanks. Psycatron

Sankyo
19-05-2016, 09:57
Usually LOD switching is optimized to prevent visual pop-in/out. It would help if you're more specific what car(s), what track(s), what cameras, whether you're using VR or not etc. I small video would also help to determine whether you encountered a bug or not.

eracerhead
19-05-2016, 11:52
What is your Vehicle Detail set to?

shiftee
19-05-2016, 14:02
I have never seen such pop in with the cars, and I stare at them as I race since they look so incredible in this game. The only LOD issues I have are with the fences/railing detail as it is right in my viewing space as you look up the track, very noticeable in 4k as the detail only goes up the fence so far. wish there were graphical options to extend such detail if your rig can handle it, or maybe its an engine limitation (?)

Mahjik
19-05-2016, 14:44
The whole point of the LOD's is for performance reasons. i.e. don't render what is not needed. When the car is further away, the details of the car are not that important so the engine switches to a lower poly count version of the model. This increases graphical performance by not rendering details that can't fully be viewed due to the distance.

Yes, it's possible to have full LOD's all the time, but that's at a cost of performance.

Sankyo
19-05-2016, 15:08
The whole point of the LOD's is for performance reasons. i.e. don't render what is not needed. When the car is further away, the details of the car are not that important so the engine switches to a lower poly count version of the model. This increases graphical performance by not rendering details that can't fully be viewed due to the distance.

Yes, it's possible to have full LOD's all the time, but that's at a cost of performance.
Not sure if the OP is requesting (full) LODA for all distances, or tweaking LOD distances? If proper LOD switch distances are implemented, LOD switching should not be noticeable.

Mahjik
19-05-2016, 15:10
Not sure if the OP is requesting (full) LODA for all distances, or tweaking LOD distances? If proper LOD switch distances are implemented, LOD switching should not be noticeable.

He mentioned that for GTR2, he included the full model for the other LOD's:

"I had to do all parts interior,ext.driver,chassis,wheels,ext. st. wheel, etc"

That's exactly why the LOD's are created to remove rendering those pieces.

APR193
19-05-2016, 15:53
While this topic is here this happens to the Aston Vantage GT4 on every track (Xbox). That is the only car I can remember it definitely happening to though, probably appears more in replays but I haven't watched a replay on a racing game since Toca 2.

Roger Lee
22-05-2016, 14:41
There are a lot of LOD issues with the game. There are cars where the body completely disappears for a split second and, in general, the LOD switching distances are far to close. All this gets reported and nothing is ever done about it. I have finally been put off on this game that I supported for so long. After 5 years it finally got uninstalled from my machine and I was forced to return to AC as my go to racing sim.

There are still class filter issues for DLC cars that have been out for ages. Things that require a few minutes to fix and continue being broken.

It's been a good run, but all good things must come to an end.