PDA

View Full Version : Question about using Gradients(Resolved)

kb18fan
19-05-2016, 14:48
Hello to all. I am trying to create some designs where one color fades into another. I have tried using different settings, but every time I get the same result. Even when I import an image that has the same gradient effect I get the same result. This is an example of how it looks when I put it into the game(supposed to be gray fading into black):

Searched the forums, and unless I just overlooked it I came up short with a fix for this. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this? I am using GIMP 2.8.

Thanks in advance.

Reiche
19-05-2016, 16:41
What resolution are you painting in? Have you tried to paint it with the in-Gimp-gradient-tool? What was your source graphic's format? I recommend some large res png..

kb18fan
19-05-2016, 20:41
If by resolution you mean the size of the template, then it is 4096x6144. The templates are quite a bit larger than what I am used to working with(2048x2048). I am using the gradient tool from within Gimp. I have never had this problem before while painting with other sims. As far as the format of the images I import to my paints, I always try to use the absolute largest images that I can find. The above example is the biggest problem I have found so far trying to paint in Project Cars. All that I am trying to do is transition the gray into black. I have no idea why the purple and green is showing up. I even created a new gradient layer that was the same size as the template itself and then reduced the size to fit only on the door. I got the same result. Thanks for responding.

Reiche
19-05-2016, 20:53
Hmmm okay, I have no idea what you might have done wrong then.. Unfortunately I'm not at home right now (and probably won't be tomorrow), so to our fellow painters: is there someone who can try to duplicate this issue?
Does it also appear if you just let's say take a single gradient layer and make it your dds? Maybe something is interfering with other layers..

NWRAP
20-05-2016, 00:25
Here is a gradient I tested BUT using photoshop so it may be a gimp issue

I can try using the same colours if you like?

kb18fan
20-05-2016, 01:05
I have tried merging the gray with the black, Light blue with dark blue, green with white.......I have literally sit here all day trying to figure this out. It's not Gimp, because the gradient tool is working with other racing sims with no problem. I just have to believe that it is the size of the template. I mean that is what I want to believe anyway. You can try the colors with your template if you like. I am still stumped.

NWRAP
20-05-2016, 02:05
I have tried merging the gray with the black, Light blue with dark blue, green with white.......I have literally sit here all day trying to figure this out. It's not Gimp, because the gradient tool is working with other racing sims with no problem. I just have to believe that it is the size of the template. I mean that is what I want to believe anyway. You can try the colors with your template if you like. I am still stumped.

Well I'm using the same size template as you and the only difference in the colours & software BUT I will do one similar to yours and post the result for you

NWRAP
20-05-2016, 02:27
With mip maps

Without mip maps

NOT as bad but still there

kb18fan
20-05-2016, 03:57
I finally found my problem.....feel kind of stupid about it really. When I was saving it as a .dds file, I was actually saving it as a compressed file, DXT5 I believe. No mipmaps were generated. When you mentioned mipmaps, that it is when I remember changing it earlier in order to upload a car I painted. This is what I came up with after messing around with it most of the day.....

Still a WIP.....
Thanks for everyone's help and input!!