PDA

View Full Version : Road B group - BAC mono superior to all the rest

shrike005
19-05-2016, 17:37
I've just got invitational for 25hours of Bathurst, driven with Road B cars. Previously I've driven similar events where I chose BAC Mono because I didn't feel like bothering with other cars since BAC Mono is so easy to drive.
But now with Bathurst I wanted to drive a serious car, like Audi R8 or Ruf or maybe even Aston Martin. So, I've invested significant amount of time setting Audi and Ruf for Bathurst, trying to beat times easily achieved with BAC Mono. But...it can't be done.
Audi - 2 minutes 25 seconds. Mercedes - 2 minutes 27 seconds. Ruf - 2 minutes 23 seconds. To clarify, I set up tyres only, everything else is on default settings, I don't have time for tinkering with slow bumps and stuff. Long story short - BAC Mono - 2 minutes 20 seconds. Three seconds faster than Ruf.
To compare, driving BAC Mono is like driving a Formula. While in comparison, driving all aforementioned cars on Bathurst is like sailing a boat.
I feel like BAC Mono doesn't belong in the same group with those other cars.
Anyone else feel the same?

MisterO
19-05-2016, 17:55
Judging by the time trial leaderboards the Mono and the McLaren F1 seem to be the top choices at most tracks - at least for the top 10 spots. I didn't check all tracks but those I did, it's most these 2 cars with the most "presence" in the upper places. Notable difference was Le Mans - I guess the Mono's lack of top speed compared to the rest of the cars makes the difference here.

My next career race is the 25hrs at the Nordschleife - I'm still trying to figure out wether I'll do it in the Mono or the Vantage GT12. I guess I'll take the Mono.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
19-05-2016, 20:29
It's a bit of a problem: The BAC Mono with the Prime tyres, and the McLaren F1 with the Denloc tyres, are pretty good pace for the Road B category. However if you use the Mono with the SuperSoft tyres or the McLaren F1 with the "McLaren F1" tyres they're clearly in Road A category (not the top but not the bottom either).

If you want to race against Road B with those two cars you really should only use the worse tyres, otherwise there's simply no contest.

This is a common problem with road cars, when the tyres are as different in performance as All Weather and Track a simple tyre change can and usually will put the cars in different classes.

shrike005
20-05-2016, 04:49
Thanks for your replies, to make things more chalenging I'll go with the worse set of tyres on BAC Mono.

20-05-2016, 12:29
Worthy of note: Those tyres are still frigging amazing road tyres, it's just that the SuperSofts are essentially racing slicks with some grooves on them.

rosko
20-05-2016, 14:00
I can imagine having such a rich variety of cars it's difficult to get all cars competitive with each other but surely this could be fixed quite easily?

oppolo
20-05-2016, 15:07
I hope nope because I think this is not a racing class like GT3 where there is BOP irl, so I hope every cars keep them performances as close to reality as possible

rosko
20-05-2016, 17:45
I hope nope because I think this is not a racing class like GT3 where there is BOP irl, so I hope every cars keep them performances as close to reality as possible

I agree but surely they should be in the group a or is the tyre selection available to those cars realistic?

20-05-2016, 21:10
I agree but surely they should be in the group a or is the tyre selection available to those cars realistic?The road classes really should be done over once. I've posted about this in the past:

It wouldn't take much to make the road classes a lot better balanced. Here's my "dream lineup".

Road A1/Road S: Ariel Atom V8 500, GUMPERT apollo S, McLaren P1, Radical RXC Turbo, Ruf CTR3 (and the Radbul)
Road A2/Road A: BAC Mono, McLaren 12C, McLaren F1, Pagani Huayra, Pagani Zonda Cinque Roadster, Ruf Rt 12 R, W Motors Lykan HyperSport
Road B: Ariel Atom 300, Ariel Atom Mugen, Aston Martin Vantage GT12, Audi R8 V10+, BMW 1-Series M Coupe StanceWorks, Caterham Superlight R500, KTM X-Bow R, Mercedes SLS AMG, Ruf CTR, Ruf RGT-8, Scion FR-S Rocket Bunny
Road C1: BMW 1-Series M Coupe, Ford Mustang GT, Mercedes A45 AMG, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX FQ-360, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X FQ-400, Renault Megane R.S. 275 Trophy-R
Road C2: Audi A1 quattro, Ford Focus RS, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME, Renault Megane R.S. 265
Road D: Caterham Seven Classic, Scion FR-S, Toyota 86, Toyota GT-86Basically the biggest flaws are that Road A includes both "really good supercars" and "ultra mega hypercars", and really should be split into two classes. Road B on the other hand has two cars that, depending on the tyre choice, are clearly too fast for the class, and also one that no matter what you do is too slow for the class, but fits perfectly into the class below (Mustang GT really should be in Road C1). Road D is a tricky one to balance, there's not much you can do in the end, but giving the Caterham Classic access to track day tyres, like every other car, would help it immensely.

Not 100% sure how much quicker if at all the Huayra BC is, it'd probably fit in the Road A2/Road A still, I doubt it's up to the pace of the GUMPERT and friends.

EDIT: Honestly, even then the Road B would be a bit unbalanced, there would be so many cars in it but I don't want to splinter things too much. The Paganis along with the Lykan would tend to rule that class though.

Mauler_77
21-05-2016, 08:46
That's why whenever I quick race in the Mono i race against identical cars. Wipes the floor otherwise. Damn good car to drive though.

oppolo
21-05-2016, 10:09
I agree but surely they should be in the group a or is the tyre selection available to those cars realistic?

it's in B class because it has 275 hp on 620 kg, as KTM with 300 hp on 790 kg, in the A class there are cars with 800 hp

21-05-2016, 12:44
it's in B class because it has 275 hp on 620 kg, as KTM with 300 hp on 790 kg, in the A class there are cars with 800 hpDoesn't matter, the SuperSoft tyres are soooo much better than any tyres the KTM or the Ariels or Caterhams have access to. None of them can touch the Mono when it's on SuperSofts. (They're realistic though.)