PDA

View Full Version : Project cars won't load on Oculus Rift from steam

velvetymouse
20-05-2016, 06:10
So i go to launch pcars from steam while using the rift. I launch it from the play button and select "launch - oculus rift in other vr mode". I don't use steam VR. The game will load fine in the window mode. I make sure it is the active window. When i put on the rift all i get is a loading screen, then a error saying "Pcar64.exe is taking a while to load check app on monitor". The game will run fine on the monitor and will even be doing head tracking. It just won't load on the rift. I went into documents and deleted the .xml files but that didn't help. Not sure what to do.

Sankyo
20-05-2016, 10:20
So it worked OK before today? It seems that something changed in the Oculus VR start-up option, I'll inquire with the devs.

Sankyo
20-05-2016, 10:24
Would be nice though to hear from other Oculus users whether it's still working or not.

Sankyo
20-05-2016, 10:40
Also, please check whether you're not on the beta client by accident.

Thug
20-05-2016, 12:12
Works fine here.
Mine is on the new Oculus 1.4 too

velvetymouse
20-05-2016, 15:43
So it worked OK before today? It seems that something changed in the Oculus VR start-up option, I'll inquire with the devs.

It was my first time running it on the rift. And sorry I was asleep, since i'm on PST. i Think i might be in beta, Lower left says beta on the rift. It's running 1.4.0.224375. And in steam i have opted out of the beta.

Derek Speare
20-05-2016, 18:13
It's a no-go for me. I just tried Pcars and Phoenix and neither run (both are Steam). I had no issues last week. I can provide whatever details needed.

Running OH 1.4.0.224375 (1.4.0.224.996) with DK2. No issues for any other VR title.

SilverBullet126
21-05-2016, 01:06
I just got my Rift setup last night, this was my first "stop". Seems not the only one with issues :(

Derek Speare
21-05-2016, 18:54
Any progress/information/help to be had?

jesnyc
21-05-2016, 19:10
Any updates on this? I am having the exact same issue:(

TrevorAustin
21-05-2016, 19:58
I'm also on 1.4 and everything working perfectly, even better in bad weather than 1.3

TrevorAustin
21-05-2016, 20:00
Mine does say beta on the Oculus app by the way, if that is relevant.

emomobile
22-05-2016, 04:48
I'm having the same exact problem on my Vive. I click Play > Play on HTC Vive, then it launches on my monitor and nothing in the headset. I tried uninstalling and re-installing to no avail.

ctd
23-05-2016, 17:58
I don't know if this will help anyone else, but for me the problem seems to be fixed when I restart the computer with headset on. Maybe some driver that doesn't load in Windows when headset is off, I don't know. :confused:

Derek Speare
23-05-2016, 19:20
My DK2 is defaulted to on upon PC startup. I just checked again and still nogo. All of my other Oculus programs run without trouble :/

Derek Speare
27-05-2016, 15:36
I tried again and still nothing. Seven days with this and it has become frustrating.

finagle69
27-05-2016, 16:17
For those having issues. Can you verify that the PCars folder in "Documents" contains the Oculus related *.ini files shown in this screen grab?

http://prntscr.com/b94vsa

Derek Speare
27-05-2016, 19:51
I have XML files and my Documents folder has the file in question, dates 4/12 :/ :(

Derek Speare
29-05-2016, 17:17
Still no traction. Sadly disappointed :(

Sankyo
29-05-2016, 17:27
You seem to be one of the very few affected by this. There's nothing for the devs to go on to reproduce the issue as it's all working fine for them, so nothing much they can do either. Must be something in your driver or settings configuration IMO, but I'm no expert at how VR works.

ctd
29-05-2016, 18:58
Derek, I don't see in your signature if you are on Win 10 or not. One thing I've learned though is that coming from Win 7 and letting it upgrade to Win 10 automatically was not a good idea. I had all sorts of problems on my Win 10 installation before I did a clean installation. I know you are a well experienced user (reading your comments i DCS forum with great interest for example) and probably already have thought of it, but anyway. Just a thought. :p

Derek Speare
29-05-2016, 23:55
You seem to be one of the very few affected by this. There's nothing for the devs to go on to reproduce the issue as it's all working fine for them, so nothing much they can do either. Must be something in your driver or settings configuration IMO, but I'm no expert at how VR works.

See below:

Thank you, ctd - I have windows 7 and won't go to 10 until I have no choice. Both Pcars and Pcars2 have the same issue. From where I sit, every other VR application runs that has Oculus v1.3+ runtime support. The only two that have it and won't run are these. I can't justify a full on syswipe to get two titles to run when all of the other VR applications run without issue.

@RVD - it's really impossible to look at the situation and not look here for solutions. Nothing has changed on my system with the exception of the OH program autoupdating to the versions referenced previously.

As of today, the VR titles running on my system with the latest OH runtimes are:

Elite Dangerous Horizons
Assetto Corsa
FlyInside for FSX and P3d v's 2.5 and 3.2
War Thunder
DCS v1.5 and 2.0
Life for Speed
Oculus Dream Deck
Lucky's Tale
Photo 360

As stated, Pcars1/2 are the odd ones out. While I appreciate that the argument of user-side issues to be in the realm, it's hard to buttress it against the fact that the only two VR titles that should run but don't are these. Unfortunately, I guess it's the way it goes :(

Snipeuout
30-05-2016, 04:51
I cannot get Pcars to run on my CV-1 rift. I even did a clean install of windows and have the latest versions of windows 10 64-bit, Steam, Pcars (not beta), Oculus and Nvidia 368.22.

I'm sad by how this is turning out, as I bought my Rift for Pcars alone, and held off on triple monitors. I'm considering returning my Rift if I cant play PCARs!

My hardware is:
Z68 Intel Chipset
I7-2600K OC to 4.0Ghz
16GB of 1866
MSI 980 Gaming
Samsung 500 EVO SSD
Clean install of Windows 10 64-bit.

:(

Sankyo
30-05-2016, 08:45
See below:

Thank you, ctd - I have windows 7 and won't go to 10 until I have no choice. Both Pcars and Pcars2 have the same issue. From where I sit, every other VR application runs that has Oculus v1.3+ runtime support. The only two that have it and won't run are these. I can't justify a full on syswipe to get two titles to run when all of the other VR applications run without issue.

@RVD - it's really impossible to look at the situation and not look here for solutions. Nothing has changed on my system with the exception of the OH program autoupdating to the versions referenced previously.

As of today, the VR titles running on my system with the latest OH runtimes are:

Elite Dangerous Horizons
Assetto Corsa
FlyInside for FSX and P3d v's 2.5 and 3.2
War Thunder
DCS v1.5 and 2.0
Life for Speed
Oculus Dream Deck
Lucky's Tale
Photo 360

As stated, Pcars1/2 are the odd ones out. While I appreciate that the argument of user-side issues to be in the realm, it's hard to buttress it against the fact that the only two VR titles that should run but don't are these. Unfortunately, I guess it's the way it goes :(
Sorry for not reading through the previous postings, but have you already tried renaming all graphics- and VR-related .xml files in My Documents/Project CARS and also your profile (defaul.sav), to try and see if there's something in those files hindering pCARS from starting in VR mode?

Derek Speare
30-05-2016, 14:49
Thank you for the reply. I was not aware that renaming the files was necessary, nor do I know what to rename them. I'm also not aware of what could be in those files that stop PCars from running. All I know at this point is that they both were running and now they don't, seemingly connected to the OH updates, but I am not sure. I am running the Steam installation of both Pcars and Pcars2.

If I rename these files, will new ones be automatically created on the next installation instance?

Snipeuout
30-05-2016, 17:16
I got it to work based on this thread. http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?47289-Project-Cars-wont-load-Oculus-Rift-CV1

Basically, I was running my monitor off my Intel chipset and the Rift of my MSI 980's HDMI and that was issue. I needed to run my monitor off the 980 and not use the Intel GPU at all.

Sampo
30-05-2016, 18:25
Thank you for the reply. I was not aware that renaming the files was necessary, nor do I know what to rename them. I'm also not aware of what could be in those files that stop PCars from running. All I know at this point is that they both were running and now they don't, seemingly connected to the OH updates, but I am not sure. I am running the Steam installation of both Pcars and Pcars2.

If I rename these files, will new ones be automatically created on the next installation instance?

It shouldn't be necessary, but if there is something in the settings that causes your problems, you can check that with renaming them. Just add a _ after the name or something (graphicsconfigdx11.xml_), just so that it's different from the real one. The game will make new ones with default settings when you next start it. Start with just the .xml files and if that doesnt work, try the default.sav (it has all other settings and gamesaves apart from the graphics). Default.sav is in \Steam\userdata\[userid]\234630\local\project cars\profiles\default.sav.

Derek Speare
30-05-2016, 18:42
Renamed them. It created a new version of graphicsconfigdx11 but did not for oculussettings or graphicsconfigoculusdx11. The last date the graphicsconfigoculusdx11 was used/written was May 6th. Thank you :)

Sankyo
30-05-2016, 19:09
Renamed them. It created a new version of graphicsconfigdx11 but did not for oculussettings or graphicsconfigoculusdx11. The last date the graphicsconfigoculusdx11 was used/written was May 6th. Thank you :)

So did this fix the problem?

Derek Speare
30-05-2016, 19:55
So did this fix the problem?

Thank you, no - it didn't create the other two files with "oculus" in the filenames. Heretofore Pcars automatically started in VR when the Oculus was connected and on. I have specifically started OH first and verified proper function on the HMD and then run Pcars. Also, the opening sequences would be displayed on the HMD. Unless something has been changed to where only the driving now is on the HMD, then there's no VR. If only the driving is on the HMD since May 6th then I apologize as I have only stopped at the initial interface screen.

natthapol.vanasrivilai
30-05-2016, 20:10
Mine doesn't work as well, but mine show other problem.

The game will load but the HUD is clipped. It's like the screen on each eyes didn't correctly overlap. And when i start the actual gameplay, there's nothing shows up on the Rift. Just blank grey screen on the Rift.
I tried to verify the game integrity and also delete all the XML files in documents.

ctd
31-05-2016, 18:52
See below:

Ha, ha. Yeah I totally understand you don't want that trouble before it's the only remedy. But I have to tell you, there are many reports on this forum that Win 10 offered a significant smother experience in VR with PCars in comparsion to Win 7. :)

Derek Speare
31-05-2016, 22:06
Ha, ha. Yeah I totally understand you don't want that trouble before it's the only remedy. But I have to tell you, there are many reports on this forum that Win 10 offered a significant smother experience in VR with PCars in comparsion to Win 7. :)

It was running perfectly not more than three weeks ago. Nothing other than the OH updates have changed on my end. I've had zero issues with Win7.

Sankyo
01-06-2016, 13:31
Um, what's "OH"? What version of that are you running now?

I'm afraid I cannot help much in this, but with the above information I'll inquire with the devs again.

Bealdor
01-06-2016, 13:34
Um, what's "OH"?

Oculus Home

Tom Curtis
01-06-2016, 14:01
We are looking into it BTW. But one thing to point out is, pCARS 2 doesn't have the oculus runtime in it at all, so this certainly won't run in VR.

Tom Curtis
01-06-2016, 14:04
Are you choosing to run the game in SteamVR mode? Its working just fine here on the DK2 on the released Steam build.

Stephen Viljoen
01-06-2016, 14:23
Just a reminder that as per my original post over here (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?46266-Project-CARS-PC-Patch-10-1-Oculus-Rift-VR-support-on-the-Steam-platform&p=1260066&viewfull=1#post1260066):

"A final note - our focus has been on providing a polished end-user experience when using the final Oculus Rift 'CV1' HMD. Although the 'DK2' HMD should still work, The hardware has significantly improved. We therefor cannot guarantee the same quality of experience when using the 'DK2' unit, as some of these features may not work as well as they do on the 'CV1'."

So as much as we would like to continue to keep the DK2 support working, we cannot officially support it beyond what we are already doing for CV1.

Derek Speare
01-06-2016, 14:45
Thank you, Gentlemen.

I recognize that the DK2 is "unsupported". The quandary is that it was working flawlessly not more than three weeks ago, and now it's a no-go. I have never run SteamVR to get Pcars to run in VR, and that was with the Oculus Home ("OH") software installed (v1.3 and higher runtimes). Steam VR has never been installed on this PC, and from what I know is not necessary since the Oculus Home program controls VR rendering. I posted previously to this thread a screenshot from the OH settings indicating the v1.4 version.

I brought up Pcars2 since VR did work in it some time ago...and it was a blast, BTW! The autocross/road rally was a hoot!

Tom Curtis
01-06-2016, 14:52
Thank you, Gentlemen.

I recognize that the DK2 is "unsupported". The quandary is that it was working flawlessly not more than three weeks ago, and now it's a no-go. I have never run SteamVR to get Pcars to run in VR, and that was with the Oculus Home ("OH") software installed (v1.3 and higher runtimes). Steam VR has never been installed on this PC, and from what I know is not necessary since the Oculus Home program controls VR rendering. I posted previously to this thread a screenshot from the OH settings indicating the v1.4 version.

I brought up Pcars2 since VR did work in it some time ago...and it was a blast, BTW! The autocross/road rally was a hoot!
Its scheduled in pretty soon to get it all up and working, so shouldn't be too long ;)

When you launch it in Steam do you get the options to launch 3 ways?

Derek Speare
01-06-2016, 15:15
No, I just get a quck Steam dialog that says, "preparing to launch Project Cars" and then it goes right up on the screen with the SMS/WMD splash screen and then the startup sequence of video, etc. :/

crowtrobot
01-06-2016, 15:46
No, I just get a quck Steam dialog that says, "preparing to launch Project Cars" and then it goes right up on the screen with the SMS/WMD splash screen and then the startup sequence of video, etc. :/
Are you sure your pCARS is up to date then? You should be getting a prompt asking to launch normally, Vive via SteamVR, or Oculus via Other VR. Did you add the -novr launch option at some point?

Newest version of pCARS was working with my DK2 just before I sold it, and it's working with now with my Vive.

Derek Speare
01-06-2016, 20:13
MY APOLOGIES FOR SENDING EVERYONE ON A WILD GOOSE CHASE!

:beaten: :stupid:

I have been starting PCars from my desktop icon since I've been using it. I don't interact with Steam frequently and prefer desktop icons. Heretofore just double clicking on the icon runs PCars on the Oculus. It was Crotrobot's query to look at things in Steam more closely that allowed me to see that I was completely stepping on my own you-know-what.

The error is mine, and my apologies for it. I did not know I needed to right click on PCars in my Steam Library and specifically select "Start Pcars with Oculus...". Doing that fired it right up...perfectly...and much to my chagrin.

Now, to beg up a question: Is there a way to set a flag in the startup so that it gets forced to use the Oculus to save from having to open steam and right click it specifically?

Thanks to everyone for the attention and assistance!

Are you sure your pCARS is up to date then? You should be getting a prompt asking to launch normally, Vive via SteamVR, or Oculus via Other VR. Did you add the -novr launch option at some point?

Newest version of pCARS was working with my DK2 just before I sold it, and it's working with now with my Vive.

Cheers! Now I am good and your prodding helped!

Sankyo
01-06-2016, 20:20
MY APOLOGIES FOR SENDING EVERYONE ON A WILD GOOSE CHASE!

:beaten: :stupid:

I have been starting PCars from my desktop icon since I've been using it. I don't interact with Steam frequently and prefer desktop icons. Heretofore just double clicking on the icon runs PCars on the Oculus. It was Crotrobot's query to look at things in Steam more closely that allowed me to see that I was completely stepping on my own you-know-what.

The error is mine, and my apologies for it. I did not know I needed to right click on PCars in my Steam Library and specifically select "Start Pcars with Oculus...". Doing that fired it right up...perfectly...and much to my chagrin.

Now, to beg up a question: Is there a way to set a flag in the startup so that it gets forced to use the Oculus to save from having to open steam and right click it specifically?

Thanks to everyone for the attention and assistance!

Cheers! Now I am good and your prodding helped!

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?47082-Project-CARS-PC-Patch-11-0-Release-Notes-HTC-Vive-support-is-here&p=1282210&viewfull=1#post1282210

John Hargreaves
02-06-2016, 07:46
Glad you got sorted Derek, it's one of those tiny irritating details that will cause endless trouble. I had a similarly irritating internet connection problem the other week that I knew damn well was one tiny microscopic tickbox somewhere causing it, but I ended up stripping down the whole PC and rebuilding it from scratch. 'Tis the lot of a PC gamer.

arshapro
13-06-2016, 11:49
I'm having the same problem here. Project Cars won't start on Oculus 1.4. This was a huge waste of money to pay for it. Is there any way to make this work? It looks like this has been a problem for 6 months.

cluck
13-06-2016, 11:53
I'm having the same problem here. Project Cars won't start on Oculus 1.4. This was a huge waste of money to pay for it. Is there any way to make this work? It looks like this has been a problem for 6 months.How'd you work that part out? The Rift CV1 (and DK2) was only enabled for the Steam version of Project CARS at the beginning of April (with Patch 10.1).

As for it not working, does your Rift display in the Oculus Home system? Do you get the 'which version would you like to launch' menu when you start Project CARS and do you select the 3rd option?

RaceNut
13-06-2016, 14:18
Some possible solutions may be to clean out your existing profile and start fresh. In my case, I had to do it both in Pcars and the Oculus install as mine stalled (CV1 detection) during installation and showed errors related to USB connections. In either case, you don't have to re-install everything, just clean out some logs and config files, reboot, start the software and re-configure. Doing so fixed most of my issues except some USB errors that required updating the USB drivers as Windows didn't automatically install the proper ones; it took me a while to track those down. Also, be sure you have updated your video driver.

Pcars - delete the configuration files that store the various settings. These are found in "\Users\<username>\Documents\Project CARS" and are the files with XML extension."

Oculus - If you had any install issues with the Oculus software or hardware detection, deleting all Oculus-related folders in your AppData (Users/name/Appdata/check present folders for Oculus folders) directory will reset the set-up procedure. Then the next time you start Oculus, it will start the setup process from the beginning again. If it continues, there may be a USB issue or other hardware conflict needing resolution.

USB - Fresco Logic USB see Fresco Website for latest driver & Utility (also applies to add-in USB PCIe cards using Fresco-Logic USB)
Intel also has a Utility to update/repair the Extensible Host Controller (USB)

Metalsoda
07-11-2017, 07:59
After i choose the car and track and hit start on project cars 2 on steam it wont load up on Oculus rift but i`m getting VR on project cars 1. I have the HP Omen GTX1060 VR Ready PC.

Mad Al
08-11-2017, 15:33
After i choose the car and track and hit start on project cars 2 on steam it wont load up on Oculus rift but i`m getting VR on project cars 1. I have the HP Omen GTX1060 VR Ready PC.

Does it work on a normal screen....