PDA

View Full Version : oculussettings.xml driving me crazy

TrevorAustin
23-05-2016, 19:30
If I delete it, the game recreates it to defaults on launch
If I delete it while the game is running tt saves it as I've set it during the session
Then when I relaunch all back to defaults
If I make it read only prior to launch it doesn't save it but completely ignores it and runs as defaults for that session.

So I am completely unable to make any permanent changes in the VR settings. It appears to work for each session if I change after launch, however some settings aren't available so that's no good.

Any ideas?

Sankyo
24-05-2016, 10:08
If I delete it, the game recreates it to defaults on launch
If I delete it while the game is running tt saves it as I've set it during the session
Then when I relaunch all back to defaults
If I make it read only prior to launch it doesn't save it but completely ignores it and runs as defaults for that session.

So I am completely unable to make any permanent changes in the VR settings. It appears to work for each session if I change after launch, however some settings aren't available so that's no good.

Any ideas?
Deleting the .xml file while the game is running is not normal procedure, why are you doing that?

What happens if you change settings in-game, quit the game, the restart it?

Are you running the Oculus version or the Steam version?

TrevorAustin
24-05-2016, 18:07
Deleting the .xml file while the game is running is not normal procedure, why are you doing that?

What happens if you change settings in-game, quit the game, the restart it?

Are you running the Oculus version or the Steam version?

Trying it because nothing else worked so thought I'd try that:)

If I do as you suggested it never updates the file to the new settings. So all as default when I restart.

If I manually edit and make read only with the game closed it ignores the settings and runs as default.

I DO have both versions installed but only use the steam version, just played the oculus version for a couple of days while waiting for 1.3z

And it must be looking at the docs folder in the place I expect as it generates the correct file if it isn't there.

I guess I could try uninstalling the oculus version and if that doesn't work uninstalling both versions and starting from scratch, but that's a LOT of setting up again:)

So this isn't a common issue then? Therefore pointing at my install rather than a bug.

Sankyo
24-05-2016, 18:14
Trying it because nothing else worked so thought I'd try that:)

If I do as you suggested it never updates the file to the new settings. So all as default when I restart.

If I manually edit and make read only with the game closed it ignores the settings and runs as default.

I DO have both versions installed but only use the steam version, just played the oculus version for a couple of days while waiting for 1.3z

And it must be looking at the docs folder in the place I expect as it generates the correct file if it isn't there.

I guess I could try uninstalling the oculus version and if that doesn't work uninstalling both versions and starting from scratch, but that's a LOT of setting up again:)

So this isn't a common issue then? Therefore pointing at my install rather than a bug.
I quickly checked with the devs and it was working fine for them with the Steam version.

TrevorAustin
24-05-2016, 18:52
I quickly checked with the devs and it was working fine for them with the Steam version.

Thanks for that, appreciated. I'll try the two more annoying options then:)

TrevorAustin
24-05-2016, 20:30
Confusing,

I have just uninstalled both versions and reinstalled the steam version from scratch.

Launched game
opened in VR (created default oculussettings.xml)
edited settings
exited game (updated with correct settings - confirmed with notepad and last modified timestamp)
launched game - all settings reset (confirmed with notepad and new last modified timestamp)

So achieved not a thing other than wasting a couple of hours, lol.

Any more ideas.

Sampo
24-05-2016, 20:38
Do you have steam cloud enabled for the game? Disable it and try it then. A longshot, I know.

How about deleting both the oculussettings.xml and graphicsconfigdx11.xml?

Sankyo
25-05-2016, 06:08
Does any of the log files indicate something going wrong with the xml file?

TrevorAustin
25-05-2016, 14:41
Does any of the log files indicate something going wrong with the xml file?

Good pointer, I'll take a look if I survive the next few days IT conference zzzzzzz

MrTulip
25-05-2016, 18:10
I'll chime in that I had this type of problem with Oculus version immediately after the Oculus Store release. None or only few settings didn't get saved in oculussettings.xml when I had changed them in game. It got somehow cured soon after. Absolutely no idea what happened; Steam version didn't have it at all, and I just thought it was a bug that was fixed later in one of the smaller patches. Haven't seen the problem since.

I wonder if it is Windows 10 version of NTFS acting up badly; file reserved or something, even after the deletion of previous one. Like it just has not been executed properly by system yet. I've seen few weird situations with common jpegs on my system disk. It could be a bug regarding indexing for instance, anything reserving the file and not letting it go.

jadflat
16-06-2016, 09:38
I'm having this issue at the moment and I'm not enjoying the world movement in the rift.

TrevorAustin
17-06-2016, 11:14
Yep, I haven't been able to fix it, nothing I do, including a full reinstall has fixed this for me.

saxoross
18-06-2016, 09:28
Same here. Hopefully they fix it soon.

jadflat
19-06-2016, 04:50
Did a full re-install, same problem remains. Having 20 cars on track in career mode it's killing my fps, is there no other way to change the amount of cars?

jadflat
21-06-2016, 20:34
Using the "custom career tool" (can be found in the 3rd party api section) allowed me to edit the track .trd files to change the amount of A.I. cars, not really a solution, but a suitable workaround in my case. Be sure to back up your save file before using the tool.

Ramjet
22-06-2016, 03:04
I got my cv1 last Thursday and had pCars up & running last night. I modified the "PointerTriggerTime" data="300" it was 1.5 originally. The changes were saved and have remained after a reboot - so was this fixed or you guys talking about a different problem ? I am on Win10 Pro which is a new install.

jadflat
22-06-2016, 03:21
not fixed for me, any change i make to oculussettings.xml is either ignored or overwritten with a vanilla copy of the file

Ramjet
22-06-2016, 03:37
Ok that sounds to be damned annoying ... do you have all privileges set to Administrator for your user account ? The fact that it works on my system, and I assume others, means it is not anything in the pCars code but in the OS.

I had big problems copying and moving files when I first installed Win10 and it was a hell of a thing to get working properly. I tried so many different methods after googling the problem and then got it working properly so that I have full control now over all my files.

If you right click on the file oculussettings.xml and select properties, then security, you should see the box Permissions for System and underneath all boxes ticked except the last one special permissions is blank. I am set as a user and administrator on my pc and these boxes are ticked exactly the same now.

Not sure exactly which method I used but it was along the lines of the steps outlined in this thread.

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-take-ownership-and-get-full-access-to-files-and-folders-in-windows-10/

Sorry if I am telling you guys something you may already know and have checked but just trying to assist.

jadflat
22-06-2016, 04:04
thanks Ramjet, I'll check it out, I'm the only user on the system and I'm the admin. Will report back tonight or tomorrow

Ramjet
22-06-2016, 05:45
You may find as I did that just being the admin doesn't seem to automatically grant you full control / rights over files in Win10. I seem to recall (long time ago now) that when I setup Win7 Ultimate originally, all I had to do was disable UAC and I never had any probs copying/editing/moving files. This new version must have much heavier security I suppose to prevent virus/trojans etc.

jadflat
22-06-2016, 06:23
do you know where the logs are kept? it may show there's a problem with the xml file?

jadflat
22-06-2016, 07:56
did the permission fix, no change. All my permissions were already set to full control, but i re-created them anyway and still the same result. Thanks for the suggestion though, that site could come in handy.

Not a huge deal for me now as I've set 11 AI cars on each track with the career tool, the other changes the oculus xml provides I can learn to live without if need be, now that I'm locked at 90 frames I'm happy :)

hookman
22-06-2016, 17:13
did the permission fix, no change. All my permissions were already set to full control, but i re-created them anyway and still the same result. Thanks for the suggestion though, that site could come in handy.

Not a huge deal for me now as I've set 11 AI cars on each track with the career tool, the other changes the oculus xml provides I can learn to live without if need be, now that I'm locked at 90 frames I'm happy :)
I'm trying to do the same as you've done, I downloaded the custom career tool from here

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?46373-Custom-Career-Tool-Custom-Career-Championships&highlight=career

But I can't work out how to set the number of AI on each track, am I using the right tool? If so can you let me know what I should click on to alter the number of AI on track?

...Just had a dig through and saw there are .trd files in the "tracks" folder. Is it these that you changed?

jadflat
22-06-2016, 22:35
Yes, there's a entry in the .trd files called max ai participants, change that to your preferred value.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4x4eo450rthnv03/tracks.zip?dl=0

Changing 132 files isn't fun though, here's a copy of my files with 11 ai opponents. I wrote a script to do the file editing, if 11 doesn't suit you I can make another set.

reptilexcq
23-06-2016, 18:36
This is what happened to me with the openvrsettings and for the longest time, i try to ask for help...nobody seems to understand the problem. I was hoping for a patch and i even posted in Steam discussion.

Basically, here's what happen: I deleted both graphicsconfigopenvrdx11 and openvrsettings and then load up the game. All settings are default to min graphics settings of course. So you won't be seeing ultra or high settings. But when i crank it up to high or ultra, game runs fine and I can even use up to 21 AIs in some maps. It runs smooth. The problem is when i turn off the game and restart, it loads up the same settings that i had set previously BUT NOW IT IS STUTTERING!! It stutters no matter what map i am playing with. Even if i lower the graphics settings to default, it still stutter. This is ONLY solved if i close out the game and delete graphicsconfigopenvrdx11 and restart the game over again. Of course, all settings are now back to default which is not what i wanted. Something ain't right. Why would i be able to run smooth with ultra and high settings before? This game is in need of a patch.

Sankyo
24-06-2016, 12:22
This is what happened to me with the openvrsettings and for the longest time, i try to ask for help...nobody seems to understand the problem. I was hoping for a patch and i even posted in Steam discussion.

Basically, here's what happen: I deleted both graphicsconfigopenvrdx11 and openvrsettings and then load up the game. All settings are default to min graphics settings of course. So you won't be seeing ultra or high settings. But when i crank it up to high or ultra, game runs fine and I can even use up to 21 AIs in some maps. It runs smooth. The problem is when i turn off the game and restart, it loads up the same settings that i had set previously BUT NOW IT IS STUTTERING!! It stutters no matter what map i am playing with. Even if i lower the graphics settings to default, it still stutter. This is ONLY solved if i close out the game and delete graphicsconfigopenvrdx11 and restart the game over again. Of course, all settings are now back to default which is not what i wanted. Something ain't right. Why would i be able to run smooth with ultra and high settings before? This game is in need of a patch.

You cannot start demanding a patch when you haven't excluded demonstrably the possibility of having a local system issue. Also repro steps are required so the devs can try and reproduce the issue.

When increasing graphics settings, you already have to restart the game to get the changed settings take effect. The same when lowering settings again. You did not mention this, did you restart the game after each change of graphics detail settings? If not, then in the first case you're still playing on low settings which explains the smooth visuals, and in the second case it would explain the stuttering starting after restarting the game and the persistent stuttering after changing to low again because you're still running ultra settings without a game restart.

ctd
24-06-2016, 15:33

So, where do I see it's a problem with you or the hardware? I don't even see if it's a hdm you are using/having problems with?????

reptilexcq
26-06-2016, 21:55
You cannot start demanding a patch when you haven't excluded demonstrably the possibility of having a local system issue. Also repro steps are required so the devs can try and reproduce the issue.

When increasing graphics settings, you already have to restart the game to get the changed settings take effect. The same when lowering settings again. You did not mention this, did you restart the game after each change of graphics detail settings? If not, then in the first case you're still playing on low settings which explains the smooth visuals, and in the second case it would explain the stuttering starting after restarting the game and the persistent stuttering after changing to low again because you're still running ultra settings without a game restart.

Okay, it makes sense. I didn't restart every time i set the graphics to high...I thought the game adjusted dynamically and during game. This would let users know if cranking up high settings work or not in the game. So, i guess every time you change the graphics settings, you have to restart? That's not very convenient. There is no possible way to know it until you restart? Geez, how many times do I have to do this to get the correct settings.

I guess i have been fooling myself all this time to think I can have 30 or 40+AIs cars cranking up max settings when it in fact it was at the lower settings lol (since I didn't restart). I thought things look clearer during game? lol. So, wouldn't the game be better off to fix this issue where you don't have to restart every time? It's a little inconvenient.

Sankyo
27-06-2016, 19:08
Okay, it makes sense. I didn't restart every time i set the graphics to high...I thought the game adjusted dynamically and during game. This would let users know if cranking up high settings work or not in the game. So, i guess every time you change the graphics settings, you have to restart? That's not very convenient. There is no possible way to know it until you restart? Geez, how many times do I have to do this to get the correct settings.

I guess i have been fooling myself all this time to think I can have 30 or 40+AIs cars cracking up max settings when it in fact it was at the lower settings lol (since I didn't restart). I thought things look clearer during game? lol. So, wouldn't the game be better off to fix this issue where you don't have to restart every time? It's a little inconvenient.
I think that the way the renderer works, it doesn't allow certain changes to be made without a restart.

The game does tell you with a pop-up window when a change requires a restart BTW :)

reptilexcq
28-06-2016, 05:25
I think that the way the renderer works, it doesn't allow certain changes to be made without a restart.

The game does tell you with a pop-up window when a change requires a restart BTW :)

Yes, I noticed that...with the pop up.

BUT you know, with supersampling 1.5...this game is now looking incredible even with all graphics set to low, disable anti-aliasing. There is depth perception. It looks like a totally different game now....Vive using supersampling....you guys got to try it. It's incredible.

TrevorAustin
13-07-2016, 10:36
Still got the same problem I posted about.

Done a full reinstall of the game, repeatedly deleted config files, the settings file changes will not stick. Even if I modify them and make them read only then the game still runs on default settings, don't even know where it is loading them from.

Sankyo
13-07-2016, 11:04

Done a full reinstall of the game, repeatedly deleted config files, the settings file changes will not stick. Even if I modify them and make them read only then the game still runs on default settings, don't even know where it is loading them from.
I read something about Steam cloud restoring files automatically when files are missing (or inaccessible?)? Maybe that's what's happening?

Do you have Steam installed/running as Administrator? Do you have any form of UAC active in Windows?

Ramjet
14-07-2016, 02:56

Hey Trev, I found that if I only change a few settings they will stick but if I try to change too much it just reverts. For example I turn Crowds On and changed the World Movement and G-Force to zero and it has kept it. There is a bug or some sort of incompatibility somewhere but I think the devs were never able to replicate it so cannot track it down.

TrevorAustin
22-07-2016, 15:58
Ah, it could be Steam, and thanks Ramjet, I'll try that. Playing offline should prove if it's steam.

About to go and buy either a CV1 or a Vive and literally cannot decide!!!

crowtrobot
22-07-2016, 18:30
Ah, it could be Steam, and thanks Ramjet, I'll try that. Playing offline should prove if it's steam.

About to go and buy either a CV1 or a Vive and literally cannot decide!!!
Your answer should be Vive - Room-scale is a total game changer.

I had a year and a half on my DK2 before getting the Vive, and the first time I loaded up The Lab and was able to walk around and grab things...it blew me away, even after the DK2 experience. I haven't put much time in on pCARS (really hard to hit that 90fps target), but The Lab, Holopoint, Raw Data and House of Dying Sun are amazing.

Sure the Rift will be getting Touch at some point, and people will argue that Constellation can manage room-scale, but any games for Rift won't necessarily be designed for it. Moving around within Vive games is definitely worth the premium.

beetes_juice
22-07-2016, 18:52
Disclamer: not used the vive, but room-scale a game changer?

Besides the quick tech demo or educational VR download I don't agree with that statement. How many of us have the room for a full VR room to get the most out of the system and add to that the bounding box/immersion killing teleportation problem that VR faces. I dk IMO VR at the moment is best played in a simulation; be it pcars, AC, DCS, or E.D. Those quick demo's/VR made games seem like a gimmick to me; its a game changer for about 20 minutes and then blahh nothing, not going back to those games myself unless I'm showing off my system to a visitor.

VR is a hefty investment ATM and I want play-ability. I'd save the coin and go with the CV1; roomscale to me is all fluff when your main VR application is sitting in the cockpit of your favorite flight/racing sim.

*Pre-race track walks with the Vive would be amazing :D

crowtrobot
22-07-2016, 20:10
Disclamer: not used the vive, but room-scale a game changer?

'Nuff said.

It's one of those things, like VR in general, where the true impact and value of the tech is hard to get across in words without sounding like an over-enthusiastic fanboy. I prefaced my Vive experience with the fact that I'd already used a DK2, so VR was not a new concept, but I was still blow away by what being able to stand and move around and what using tacticle controllers brought to a game. I really only got into VR because of cockpit experiences like pCARS and Elite Dangerous, but I haven't played either of those games beyond testing them since getting the Vive. It's been all Holopoint and Battledome for me.

w.r.t. space: I've got 2.5x3m cleared out for my Vive, and I only have a 2BR apartment. It's not a huge requirement, and I didn't really have to rearrange beyond moving my office chair out of the room while I play. Certainly not a whole lot more difficult than finding the space for a dedicated sim rig and triple screen.

And w.r.t. money: If you're worried about being finacially responsible, I wouldn't recommend buying any of these things. If you want to run pCARS with AI and no reprojection/ATW, you'll need a 1070/1080 and a beefy processor before you even think about a headset. The increase in demand on hardware going from DK2 resolution to CV1/Vive is not insignificant. Whether I spend $1300 in components or $1500 in components for a VR experience doesn't really make a difference. For me, the extra money for the Vive is totally worth not being restricted to a seated/standing experience, and not being forced to use the garbage Oculus Home software.

mr_belowski
22-07-2016, 21:30
Pcars grid walks aren't great cos half your car isn't rendered, but in assetto corsa mooching around on the grid is stunning. I use my priceless racing car as a little run-about to get me to interesting places, then I abandon it and get out to look around.

Room scale is more than just a few tech demos, but does have its limitations. Even with a 2.5x3m space, you feel tons more involved in the world if you can move around it.

I chose a vive because oculus farted around with my order, wouldnt commit to a sensible date, and played shinnanigans with DRM and stuff. I didn't expect to use room scale stuff much, but it's really surprised me.

Be warned though, pcars needs a lot of GPU and CPU grunt for the vive.

eracerhead
22-07-2016, 22:06
I use my priceless racing car as a little run-about to get me to interesting places, then I abandon it and get out to look around...

i had some pretty huge initial interest in VR, but after the high prices were announced and the resolution turned out to be a little less than superawesome, I put those 'first-adopter' plans on hold. But the above; now that piques my interest all over again...

Ramjet
23-07-2016, 00:44
My vote is go for the Rift Trevor, I am really impressed with mine and glad it was my choice after lots of thought plus Touch will be available in a few months and comes with a second tracking camera. I think the whole hullabaloo over room scale will disappear once it is seen that the Rift can do it without any problem. I have already experienced it with just a single camera and positioning is the key. The limitation is the cable ultimately but you can devise ways to minimise that with some imagination.

Get whatever you feel suits you best but do not be swayed by some of the fanboi type claims from both camps of Oculus & Vive, those will evaporate over time. I have tried both and to me there is noticeable difference in the image quality where the Vive looked bit brighter, higher contrast but to my eye the image quality was better on Rift and it felt much more comfortable. I could not see any difference for better or worse in FOV between the 2 headsets. I also really like the built-in headphones with positional sound. In the end though either VR headset is great and you will have fun racing !

Ryzza5
23-07-2016, 05:15
I appear to have similar issues with my file as I always find myself having to change 'Recenter head tracking on race start' every time I load the game. Strange that it happens with this file and not with any of the other profile/settings files.

TrevorAustin
25-07-2016, 08:37
OK, looks like Ramjet was on the right path.

I have completely changed my permissions on the project cars documents folder, and changed inheritance and removed an unknown account from having permissions.

Then I changed 1 thing at a time in the VR menu between reboots. It worked, I changed three things and it reverts to defaults. Very odd.

TrevorAustin
25-07-2016, 08:47
The arguments for both CV1 and Vive are good and endless. I ended up going for the Rift because the FOV is smaller, therefore pixels closer together and a smaller SDE effect. Also a lot lighter, built in headphones and mic and more comfortable, according to all the reviews I read. Also pretty much everybody with both devices says that the Vive is the go to for showing off to friends and family but the everyday user is the rift.

Room scale was a tempter, but Oculus touch looks better once it's launched and multiple sensors can be added to give full roomscale.

I'm sure I would have been delighted with either, and when it actually came to the final decision - I'm not very patient:) - I went on gumtree and messaged about a dozen sellers of both devices to see what would get me the best deal. I ended up getting a CV1 for 420 about an hour away. The difference, especially using SS, is fantastic, especially on any text. The hit on my GPU is quite phenomenal, my limitation is now on power to GPU, my DK2 settings caused frame drop due to regularly hitting the 110% limit on my GPU.

Only issue I now have is my sensor died after connecting to USB2 adapter so discussing how to get it replaced with Oculus support.

Ramjet
26-07-2016, 05:50
I hope they sort you out with a warranty replacement because there was debate about this sort of thing as they stated they only held warranty for the original purchaser. Let us know how you go and I assume you tried all obvious things like plugging the sensor into different usb ports etc. ? Mine works fine whether its usb 2 or 3 but apparently some usb ports can be very finnicky and troublesome.

TrevorAustin
26-07-2016, 08:10
I hope they sort you out with a warranty replacement because there was debate about this sort of thing as they stated they only held warranty for the original purchaser. Let us know how you go and I assume you tried all obvious things like plugging the sensor into different usb ports etc. ? Mine works fine whether its usb 2 or 3 but apparently some usb ports can be very finnicky and troublesome.

Would be quite happy to pay for it. Initial response was great, then Saturday morning they just stopped when we worked out it needed replacing.

Bought the recommended Amazon USB card, tried USB 2 & 3 ports and about 5 different machines, doesn't even get seen as a non working usb device in device manager, even taken it apart, which was fun! But no luck.