PDA

View Full Version : RIFT CV1 Setting - Jitter

djbuzz07
25-05-2016, 19:26
Hi all,

I'm still having a bit of nightmare with FPS dips MSI afterburner show dips to 89fps or lower at the start, even though the GPU usage is under 80% - GPU power is under 110% and CPU usage is 60-70% (I have check that a single core is not maxed either)

I'm running a I5 4690k @ 4.5GHZ and the 980ti tops out at just over 1400MHZ

The settings and game are:

Quick race weekend
Brand GP
Class = Road B
15 cars same class
overcast (to reduce god rays)
I'm in the BAC MONO

Post processing off
all option on this page off

performance
Resolution (screen) 1280 * 720 30hz
Windowed yes
Texture Resolution = medium
Texture filtering = anisotropic 8x
vsync = no
AA = DS2M
Reflections = low
Enviroment map = low
Car detail = low
Track detail = low
shadow detail = off
enhanced mirror = no
motion blue = off (locked)
render frames ahead = 1
detailed grass = off
particle level = off
particle density = low
stretched headlight = no(locked)

Hardware
use shared mem =no
Jitter tweak = 4

Any tips?

HeavyGroovez
26-05-2016, 07:11
Turn off anti aliasing and reduce the number of cars. These 2 are the biggest hitters on your frame rate.

You can crank the textures,environment,car,shadows and track right up.

I'm running a CV1 with a 970 and an i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz

sberns
26-05-2016, 13:28
If you turn off AA entirely you may be unhappy with the texture flickering and jaggies. To compensate, I wonder if you can try the trick being used in the AC forums - download the oculus sdk and load up the debug tool. Adjust the pixels per frame setting to 1.5-2. Leave it running in the background, race and see what you think. I haven't been able to try this yet but plan to soon.

djbuzz07
26-05-2016, 21:02
I downloaded the SDK and found a OculusDebugTool, this lets you add a performace overlay to the HMD. not sure I understand it all but even with no AA unused performace still goes under 0%

https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/pcsdk/latest/concepts/dg-hud/

finagle69
27-05-2016, 16:11
I've done some quick back-to-back testing on the 'Texture Resolution' setting and can't really tell an appreciable difference. Personally, I like to use LOW for that setting and turn 'Track Detail' to MEDIUM.

If you're using the Steam version, try using launch parameters "-vrnomirror -pthreads 4". This will completely remove the mirror (better performance) and spread calculations across 4 threads.

I'm still not entirely sure what the "Jitter Tweak" setting does. I've tried lower values and don't know that I can tell a difference.

Morgan Henstridge
28-05-2016, 11:16
I Don't believe you need the Oculus Debug Tool for PCARs to do change the resolution scale.

There is a setting in the Oculussettings.xml file called <prop name="ResScale" data="1" />. I believe changing this will have the same result as changing the setting in the Oculus Debug tool. I run mine at 2 and think it looks a bit sharper in distance than the default, but i guess it could be a placebo.

edit - quoted wrong post

nos2k
20-06-2016, 15:21
I think its a bug - you should be able to run the game WAY higher. But use d2X antialias, - theres jitter with the other AA options. So 16x ani, and d2x on anti alias. However, ive had issues with my pcars not really doing what i told it to do ; so i was forced to delete all settings before it accepted this change; also, i had to uninstall my nvidia driver AND MY GEFORCE experience, as it seemed to lock the game in the settings i had chosen.

So try that!

MrTulip
20-06-2016, 18:40
I Don't believe you need the Oculus Debug Tool for PCARs to do change the resolution scale.

There is a setting in the Oculussettings.xml file called <prop name="ResScale" data="1" />. I believe changing this will have the same result as changing the setting in the Oculus Debug tool. I run mine at 2 and think it looks a bit sharper in distance than the default, but i guess it could be a placebo.

edit - quoted wrong post

Thanks, I never paid attention to ResScale. It would be very nice if it does the same thing. :)

Ramjet
22-06-2016, 03:23
Excellent question and there are few other parameters in that file would be nice to know exactly what & how they work, jitter being one. I haven't been on these forums for long time but wondering do the devs still pop in to answer these type of questions ? Or maybe they are now moved onto pC2 and not much time to follow such things anymore.

Updated : Played around with that setting <prop name="ResScale" data="1" /> and my impression is it does not affect the pixel density but on my system it does have the effect of resetting the other values to their default such as world movement. I now just leave it at 1 and use the oculus debug tool to set pixel density to 1.5 and it looks really good and no stutter.