PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA Challenger Series Round 4: RUF CTR3 SMS-R at Oulton

Joseph Barron
03-06-2016, 10:58
Round 4 of the NVIDIA Challenger Series is now open.

Enter via the Community Events screen in-game, on all platforms. You will be driving the RUF CTR3 SMS-R at Oulton Park Island.

Only teams which registered during preseason will be eligible to score team championship points.

All drivers are eligible for driver championship points.

In the 2016 season, there are separate Divisions for PC and Console players. The PS4 and Xbox One physics/handling code is the same. There are some minor differences between the two consoles and PC, which is why we have separate Divisions for PC and Console.

Event regulations

Please read the FULL regulations on our Esports website (http://www.projectcarsesports.com/2016-nvidia-challenger-series.html). It is your responsibility as a competitor to read these. If you breach the rules either deliberately, or accidentally, ignorance is not an excuse.

TRACK LIMITS

It is critical that you obey the rules on track limits.

Drivers must use the track at all times. For the avoidance of doubt, the white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of the track but the kerbs are not. A driver will be judged to have left the track if fewer than two wheels remain in contact with the track. These images (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=541268LIMITTRACK.jpg) from a previous Round may help you to understand what is valid, and what is not.

It is possible that you can cut the track or run wide without the game penalising you, and therefore your time & ghost will still appear on the leaderboard. SMS staff will review all of the ghost laps in the top 30 positions on all platforms to check whether drivers have stayed on track for their entire lap.

If we can see from your ghost that you cut the track or ran wide at any point, then we will not include your time in the official results.

In exceptional circumstances where many drivers go off track, we may have fewer than 20 valid times in a Division at the end of the event, as we only review the top 30 ghosts on each platform. However, SMS will review this rule during the summer break and may implement a change.

You must obey the track limits rules around the entire circuit, but please pay particular care on all wide kerbs, on any tarmac/concrete/painted run-off areas and in any areas of sand, gravel or grass.

At Oulton Park, you should be particularly careful with track limits in the following places:
- Old Hall: on the kerb and run-off at the exit
- Cascades: on the kerb and run-off at the exit
- Hizzy's Chicane: on all of the kerbs
- Knickerbrook: on the kerb and run-off at the exit
- Druids: on the kerb and run-off at the exit
- Lodge: on the kerb and run-off at the exit

If you are unsure which corners these are, please see this circuit map (http://s33.postimg.org/52b5wyqfz/Oulton_Park_Outline.jpg).

Improved times with track cuts

If you improve your time on the leaderboard, but exceed track limits on your new lap, then your time will be eliminated. If this happens, we do not roll back to your previous valid lap time. Only your fastest lap on the leaderboard at the end of the event will be considered for the final results.

Therefore, if during a lap you think that you might have cut a corner or run-wide even slightly, please back-off & abandon the lap, rather than set an invalid lap for the leaderboard. Otherwise you risk setting an invalid lap that you cannot replace with a faster, valid lap before the end of the event, meaning you miss out on possible championship points.

DISPUTES AND APPEALS

If the SMS staff decide that your ghost is marginal on track limits, we may contact you to ask for additional evidence. The only additional evidence that we will accept is chase camera footage of your actual lap, not of the ghost. In light of recent events in the NCS, any footage you give to us must now include the final corner from the lap before your flying lap.

If you think that your lap is close to the limit of the track at any point, please save the replay. Then if we ask you for any additional evidence, you will be able to provide us with chase camera footage of your lap.

Failure to provide this footage can result in your time being left out of the official results.

We may also request this same video evidence if you claim after the event that a lap deemed to be invalid by SMS staff, was valid. The procedure is the same as the one above. Failure to provide this footage will result in your time being left out of the results.

Assists

You can run with assists on. In "Help & Options" if you set the assists to "Real", you will get these same settings in the event. However, only the chosen car's real-world assists will work.

Good luck this weekend!

All of the key points above will soon be added to the Regulations page on the Esports website.

Mezzanine
03-06-2016, 12:20
Assists

You should be able to run with assists on. In "Help & Options" if you turn the individual assists on, or set them to "Real", you should get these same settings in the event. However, only the chosen car's real-world assists may work.

Good luck this weekend!

Hey Mr. Barron,

hope you do fine.

Is the assitsts thing still in question or why do you still write "should" and "may work"?
In all the events I took part up to now only real assists worked and it was possible to turn'em off, but it was never possible to use assists which were not part of the cars assigned real assists.

Have you maybe found out why we're always starting on cold brakes (has been asked here b4).

cheers & have a nice weekend

MXMike273
03-06-2016, 13:14
Assists have never been on for me in any of the events no matter what i try!!! If some people can use them and some can't then its a bit poor and unfair

Joseph Barron
03-06-2016, 13:35
Hey Mr. Barron,

hope you do fine.

Is the assitsts thing still in question or why do you still write "should" and "may work"?
In all the events I took part up to now only real assists worked and it was possible to turn'em off, but it was never possible to use assists which were not part of the cars assigned real assists.

Have you maybe found out why we're always starting on cold brakes (has been asked here b4).

cheers & have a nice weekend

Hi Mezzanine. You are correct about the assists. I've edited my post above to make this clear.

I'll speak to the development team again about cold brakes and get back to you once I've had an answer.

bonesai
05-06-2016, 13:08
The game uploads invalid laps and ghosts. it happend to me after i restarted the session before i leave !! thats not funny.. i played hours and allways rewatch my games and then happens such things... Dont be angry with me but if i back off every lap iam not 100% sure iam cutting or leaving thats no competition. we need an reasonable solution for this.

cluck
05-06-2016, 13:16
You don't have to back off, you just pause the game before you cross the line and watch a reply. It's really very simple.

EDIT : Also, you only really need to worry if your time is inside the top 20, as those are the only positions that score points. Unless a lot of top-20 times are DQd for running wide, your time will not be counted and your ghost lap probably not checked. And as per one of the other threads you posted this in, there are still 30+ hours to go, so you have plenty of time to try and improve your time.

bonesai
05-06-2016, 13:30
This is an ESL called challenge. Stop playing before the finish line, rewatch and maybe drive to end after a replay is no simply solution. I wanna focus on driving and not on get dq by uploading failed laps.

satco1066
05-06-2016, 14:42
You don't have to back off, you just pause the game before you cross the line and watch a reply. It's really very simple.

EDIT : Also, you only really need to worry if your time is inside the top 20, as those are the only positions that score points. Unless a lot of top-20 times are DQd for running wide, your time will not be counted and your ghost lap probably not checked. And as per one of the other threads you posted this in, there are still 30+ hours to go, so you have plenty of time to try and improve your time.

Oh, very funny. Hamilton stops at finish line, calls pit if everything ok, reviews his last laps on the motec display and then finishes the race.

Ha, ha. Thats a good joke.
Please call Mr. Ecclestone for a new feature to make F1 Racing more exciting.

Cluck. Since you're Moderator, maybe you lost connection to real life and community.
Please take down your SMS glasses and be more realistic and sarcastic as before.

bonesai
05-06-2016, 14:52
Iam not expecting a wonder or that sms will backup my time now but thats something that needs to be discussed and improved. Iam loosing my interest in such challenges if iam employed with anything instead of driving. And iam sure iam not alone .....

Another point ... The wrong ghost is online. But i allways save and exit after the best lap. Or should i stop and upload before i cross the finish line ? :victorious:
The ghosts time is 1.15.4, i can beat him with 1.15.5 easily. Anyone official or dev who would like to explain this ?

cluck
05-06-2016, 17:55
This is an ESL called challenge. Stop playing before the finish line, rewatch and maybe drive to end after a replay is no simply solution. I wanna focus on driving and not on get dq by uploading failed laps.It costs absolutely nothing to just pause the game IF you think you went wide during the lap. When you are approaching the finish line you are on a straight and not even having to change gear. This is not something new, the track limits are no different to how they are in single player so there is some leeway which can result in your lap being ruled out even if the game says it is valid.

Oh, very funny. Hamilton stops at finish line, calls pit if everything ok, reviews his last laps on the motec display and then finishes the race.

Cluck. Since you're Moderator, maybe you lost connection to real life and community.
Please take down your SMS glasses and be more realistic and sarcastic as before.It's a game, it's not real life.

What does being a moderator have anything to do with this? Moderators are here to moderate the forum, they are not employees of SMS. As it happens, I'm not one anyway, I gave that up weeks ago.

The rules for every single round of these competitions are the same when it comes to track limits. 2 wheels MUST be inside the track limits at all times - the track edge is defined by the white lines. As long as at least 2 wheels are inside - or in contact with - those white lines then the lap is valid.

As I wrote in a previous round, is what we have now perfect? No. Would it be better if there were absolutely strict track limits defined? Yes. But we don't have those so we have to stick to the rules of the competition.

bonesai
05-06-2016, 18:30
No one has a problem with the track limit rule.
The problem is that theres no easy way to be safe in hours of playing that with those bad ghost and or lap upload nothing happens that would bring you in a heavy to overhaul situation. How should we ever drive smooth and in a good rythm if the solution should be not only to control most fast laps where compulsorily often small differences between in and off the track, if you really drive near your limit, rather stop the game before the end of the hot lap and control before finishing or even just submit a bad lap per mistake... Thats not simple, thats rubbish.
Some of our team members now discontinue driving after an partway acceptable lap with the corresponding ghost cause theyre afraid they cant beat another better lap that want get the real ghost submitted etc ... "Not perfect" is a very glossed speaking for that situation .... i would call this amateurish.

Joseph Barron
10-06-2016, 09:52
Here are the results from Round 4 of the NVIDIA Challenger Series.
http://www.projectcarsesports.com/home/nvidia-challenger-series-round-4-results

Apologies for the delay in publishing these results. We had some technical difficulties with our Esports website, which have now been resolved.

Close Calls:

The following drivers were very close to breaking track limits at Hizzy’s Chicane. However, after close inspection of videos provided by each of the drivers, we have confirmed that they all kept 2 wheels touching the white lines throughout the corner. Therefore, their laps are included in the results.

SDL Rotax (XB1)
TSRacing_Yinato (PS4)
TSRacing_JP02 (PS4)

Eliminations:

The following drivers unfortunately had to be eliminated from the results.

kie25 (PS4)
No ghost available on the leaderboard

Unity_Gecko (PS4)
Ran wide on the exit of Old Hall

TRL_Importlife (PS4)

RSP_wielinga046 (PS4)
Ran wide on the exit of Cascades

DrDrDD- (PS4)

billy-the-stig (PS4)

DriverR1 (PS4)
Cut the inside of Hizzy’s Chicane

benjibzh29 (PC)
Ran wide on the exit of Lodge

cluck
10-06-2016, 10:34
Thanks Joe :)

I have to say, that was one of the most interesting drives I've had. The car is massively overpowered for a twisty, bumpy, tight circuit like Oulton, but that's actually what made it such fun and such a pleasure to get right. It really didn't help that we had some really hot days here whilst the round was live. Coupled with an Oculus Rift, I don't think I've sweated that much from being sat in a chair :D.

Hats off to BAM_Khaki on the PC side, his 1m13.400 time was astonishing. Despite my ability to occasionally beat him to the S1 checkpoint, his pace through S2 and S3 - especially off the final corner - were something else. Fantastic driving. The whole top 10 on PC was separated by less than 0.6s, showing just how fierce the competition was at the top.

I never nailed my best lap. For me, I could have taken another 0.1 or 0.15s off my best time posted, but I was more than happy to settle on 7th at the end of the round.

t0daY
10-06-2016, 11:19

Please take down your SMS glasses and be more realistic and sarcastic as before.

Are you joking? I think YOU lost the difference between a game and real life :D :D

Obviously Hamilton can't stop and watch if he was in the tracklimits. Thanks for the information captain obvious. Useless argument sorry... Also, another thing... Since when do you lose the connection between real life and the communtiy when you are a moderator? In this case even "were a moderator" because Cluck stepped down as a moderator weeks ago.

Maybe go outside, enjoy the summer, do a barbecue with friends and try to get back into RL mate :)